New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Guest asrequested

With my tinkering on the HTPC and the occasional down times my wife is liable to bury me and my HTPC. [emoji848].

LOL, I guess that might be the difference. I live alone, and I love tinkering and tweaking, not that I have to, I just like it. On that note, have any of you had the issue of your monitor being disabled by monitor detector? My HTPC thinks that when I turn off my receiver, the TV is disconnected. I have to reboot to get it to come back on, or connect directly to the tv, at all times. I'm using Windows 10 64 bit. I think I found a solution:

http://monitordetectkiller.com/

Anyone know about this? I'm sorry to go off topic. I won't do it again, I promise  :D

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Here's a question. Maybe I missed this somewhere, but I have an HDHomerun Prime, it uses Mpeg 2. Will the new Theater\server transcode to Mpeg4?

xnappo

You bet I tried Kodi on the FTV with the emby add-on. Tried it about 2-3 months ago and had so many issues I was forced to abandon it. Everything from double reporting to Trakt to the library not updating. My personal favorite was it just randomly playing media when idle. All-in-all not a viable solution. 

Don't remember seeing those bug reports, but don't see other people reporting those issues either.

AgileHumor

Don't remember seeing those bug reports, but don't see other people reporting those issues either.

You bet I tried Kodi on the FTV with the emby add-on. Tried it about 2-3 months ago and had so many issues I was forced to abandon it. Everything from double reporting to Trakt to the library not updating. My personal favorite was it just randomly playing media when idle. All-in-all not a viable solution. 

Known issues with TVTunes plugin (which I don't use, and disabled).

Kodi works perfectly, you just need to be patient when it syncs the initial library (don't do anything while it syncs)...and make sure you have the Kodi Server Sync Plugin installed on Emby Server and enabled in the Kodi plugin to make it lightning quick updates.

Lastly, don't use the Beta repository.  Stick with stable as the awesome Kodi team does updates daily/weekly that may interfere with a production HTPC system.

Edited by AgileHumor

Redshirt

All three of the issues I mentioned have at least one thread per issue. Usually responded to by Angelblue05. I try not to "me too" a post once a dev has acknowledged a problem. Regardless of how active you guys are on your plugin, it doesn't change the fact that I've never been a fan of Kodi (or Plex or MP). That's the whole reason I'm an Emby user :) 

Known issues with TVTunes plugin (which I don't use, and disabled).

Kodi works perfectly, you just need to be patient when it syncs the initial library (don't do anything while it syncs)...and make sure you have the Kodi Server Sync Plugin installed on Emby Server and enabled in the Kodi plugin to make it lightning quick updates.

Lastly, don't use the Beta repository.  Stick with stable as the awesome Kodi team does updates daily/weekly that may interfere with a production HTPC system.

I did have the the sync plugin installed as well as using the release version of the kodi/emby plugin. It worked nicely for a few days, then failed to the point I had to find another solution. I'd never use the phrase "works perfectly" to describe the experience. 

568ac9e7d5fcd_perfectly.jpg

foghat

I've strongly considered purchasing one.  My current HTPC doubles as the server at the moment.  I'm in the process of building a dedicated server and moving the HTPC's GTX 970 to the server so that I can game stream from an always on server.  The Nvidia Shield supports this perfectly (so I've read).  My hesitation is losing madVR and DTS-HD (although I'm unaware if they have added either of these features to the Shield).  

There is an experimental build of Kodi that does HD audio pass-through.  The beta builds will allow kodi to transcode the hd audio and then pass it to your receiver.  There is no audio quality difference (so they say), but you don't get pretty hd audio lights lighting up on your receiver - if you care about that.

As far as the emby app supporting hd audio, I think it is dependent on vlc implementing it.

No madvr.

I've used a htpc for the past 6 or 7 years now, with emby theater for the past 3 years or so (ever since it was released).  Bought a shield in the fall, don't think I'll ever go back to a dedicated htpc.  There is no reason for me.  Kodi + emby server + Shield is a dream combination.

AmericanCrisis

There is an experimental build of Kodi that does HD audio pass-through.  The beta builds will allow kodi to transcode the hd audio and then pass it to your receiver.  There is no audio quality difference (so they say), but you don't get pretty hd audio lights lighting up on your receiver - if you care about that.

As far as the emby app supporting hd audio, I think it is dependent on vlc implementing it.

No madvr.

I've used a htpc for the past 6 or 7 years now, with emby theater for the past 3 years or so (ever since it was released).  Bought a shield in the fall, don't think I'll ever go back to a dedicated htpc.  There is no reason for me.  Kodi + emby server + Shield is a dream combination.

Kodi has actually been a viable replacement (WMC) for me thus far.  The HTPC will never be replaced as I love tinkering/building them too much.  I also play the latest GPU intensive games too so there is a benefit to having the HTPC set-up versus the STB.  The Shield is a pretty awesome contender though.  I would buy one but I cannot justify the costs when I don't really "need" it at the moment. 

danielpugh

I'm looking forward to a shield very soon.

HDMI cec (never happening on windows) as well as the other advantages...

Emby to run on my nas as server...

Homerun (finally working)...

Easy life

+keep htpc PC as backup for tinkering

billy_ray

I'm looking forward to a shield very soon.

HDMI cec (never happening on windows) as well as the other advantages...

Emby to run on my nas as server...

Homerun (finally working)...

Easy life

+keep htpc PC as backup for tinkering

I am going to try putting Kodi on an AppleTV 4 tonight.  If I don't like it I'll grab a shield to see if I like that better.  I have HDHomeRun View running on a RaspberryPi2 now and it is actually working pretty well.

danielpugh

From what I have read the android TV guide works better than the homerun one - a big selling point to me. Amazon instant video will probably arrive on the shield as its already developed just needs allowing/approving (political). Along with Netflix that completes the set - not so sure amazon will approve for apple (much more political)...

Koleckai Silvestri

not so sure amazon will approve for apple (much more political)...

They have been on iOS for years now.

I'd say that Amazon Video on Android would be more political. Google is still upset because Amazon took their open source software and modified it for their own purposes.

swhitmore

As much as I love the idea of Kodi, it's really frustrating when it doesn't work. I've also had issues lately with playstates not updating. I should have reported this one, apologies. I'll send some logs tonight.

The really annoying one, is playstates get updated on Kodi (the thumb has a green tick), but it still sits in the 'Next Up' section of the TV Hub in Arctic Zephyr. I think this is a Kodi issue, not an Emby one though.

Also the 'Next Up Notifications' doesn't work if playing an episode from the 'Next Up' section of the TV Hub.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Kodi, and have a massive appreciation for the guys working on the Emby Plugin. Unfortunately, there are some really annoying bugs that bring the WAF way down.

Edited by swhitmore

Deathsquirrel

Yeah, KODI was the only playback app I've tried that had the wife asking for cable back.  Clearly this house is not their target market.

foghat

As much as I love the idea of Kodi, it's really frustrating when it doesn't work. I've also had issues lately with playstates not updating. I should have reported this one, apologies. I'll send some logs tonight.

The really annoying one, is playstates get updated on Kodi (the thumb has a green tick), but it still sits in the 'Next Up' section of the TV Hub in Arctic Zephyr. I think this is a Kodi issue, not an Emby one though.

Also the 'Next Up Notifications' doesn't work if playing an episode from the 'Next Up' section of the TV Hub.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Kodi, and have a massive appreciation for the guys working on the Emby Plugin. Unfortunately, there are some really annoying bugs that bring the WAF way down.

I am using Titan skin and next up works flawlessly.  I soon as I back out of an episode I just played, the show in question immediately changes to the next episode.

Do you have the incremental updates plugin installed on the server and then turned on in the kodi for emby add-on settings?

swhitmore

I am using Titan skin and next up works flawlessly.  I soon as I back out of an episode I just played, the show in question immediately changes to the next episode.

Do you have the incremental updates plugin installed on the server and then turned on in the kodi for emby add-on settings?

Thanks, I'll have a look tonight. Arctic Zephyr is the only skin I like, so hopefully I can get it working with that.

foghat

Kodi has actually been a viable replacement (WMC) for me thus far.  The HTPC will never be replaced as I love tinkering/building them too much.  I also play the latest GPU intensive games too so there is a benefit to having the HTPC set-up versus the STB.  The Shield is a pretty awesome contender though.  I would buy one but I cannot justify the costs when I don't really "need" it at the moment. 

My shieldl/htpc sit the the basement in our theater - not much gaming happens there.  I have a dedicated gaming machine.  Actually just bought the Dell 27inch 1ms 144hz g-sync monitor yesterday.  $300 off for Boxing week sale.  Can't wait until it is delivered!

foghat

Thanks, I'll have a look tonight. Arctic Zephyr is the only skin I like, so hopefully I can get it working with that.

I wanted to give it a try, but it is never in the repo for me (that said, haven't checked in awhile, so may give it another look).  No idea why - spent hours trying to figure it out and then said screw it.  titan works great and can be made to look purty too.

swhitmore

I wanted to give it a try, but it is never in the repo for me (that said, haven't checked in awhile, so may give it another look).  No idea why - spent hours trying to figure it out and then said screw it.  titan works great and can be made to look purty too.

What repo are you referring to? I just use the standard Arctic Zephyr skin downloaded through Kodi.

foghat

Both the Emby repo and the standard kodi repo.  You find these in the add-ons within kodi.  I have also tried installing it right from a zip file, no go.

AmericanCrisis

Yeah, KODI was the only playback app I've tried that had the wife asking for cable back.  Clearly this house is not their target market.

Interesting.  Both my wife and mother (grandma) love Kodi.  I am going to hesitate a moment in replacing it as I cannot imagine it getting much better (I've only scratched the surface too).  

At the moment I hate Emby for Chromecast.  The Emby app on my Android phone consistently doesn't show the Chromecast device as a "cast to" option until I connect to it with another app (Netflix or YouTube).  Then, Emby on Android disconnects about a half hour into playback and the CC continues to playback whatever was selected.  The only way to disconnect is opening up the actual CC app then rebooting the CC.

Since Emby Theater isn't going to be around for a few more years  :P  :rolleyes: I'm going to be sticking with Kodi for the short term... probably for the long term on some devices (like a Rasberry Pi).  

My shieldl/htpc sit the the basement in our theater - not much gaming happens there.  I have a dedicated gaming machine.  Actually just bought the Dell 27inch 1ms 144hz g-sync monitor yesterday.  $300 off for Boxing week sale.  Can't wait until it is delivered!

That looks like a nice monitor.  Great refresh rate for those fast twitch games.  I'm all about the visuals... have been watching this monitor and thinking of pulling the trigger on it. 

swhitmore

Both the Emby repo and the standard kodi repo.  You find these in the add-ons within kodi.  I have also tried installing it right from a zip file, no go.

Skins don't come from the Emby repo any more. The addon is designed to work with any skin. Can you install any other normal skins through Kodi? I don't know how that could be missing.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_skins

Edit: Sorry for getting off-topic. We can all go back to complaining about the wait now ;)

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1