New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Koleckai Silvestri

Sure would be nice for Microsoft to release the app building to others... Unified apps is Microsofts saving grace as it crawls out of it's 8.1 hole it dug. If they have any hope to stay present in the mobile market, they better start releasing more apps. Just read about the new Netflix unified app. It sounds promising. But until more apps are released... They have no chance of gathering much needed steam. 2016 should prove to be an interesting year for Microsoft.

I actually think the new Netflix app sucks. At least on the desktop. I hope it isn't the wave of the future in media playback.

I actually think the new Netflix app sucks. At least on the desktop. I hope it isn't the wave of the future in media playback.

how so?

I think what we're going to see across the entire industry, not just media apps, is a push to these unified apps throughout 2016. They will respond and react depending on what display they're connected to, or not connected to.

What I think is going to happen due to developers building multiple form factors into one app, is that the desktop point and click workflow is going to suffer a little because it's always going to be the lowest priority. I don't mean that for Emby that's just my general prediction of what we're going to see across the industry. I think the majority of developers are going to re-use the tablet workflow for the desktop and just be done with it. For a little while I think it's going to seem like desktop apps are being dumbed down, but we're also seeing a trend towards more powerful, multi-tasking capable apps, so I think eventually it could turn around.

• Like 4

Koleckai Silvestri

how so?

It is just a list of lists. Nothing really special about it. On the website, I get the things I am interested in at the top. Items that I haven't finished watching and my watchlist are at the top. It also advertises new and upcoming items above this. 

In the new Universal App, I just get rows and rows of lists. Things I want to resume watching at stuck in the middle of these rows. Things that I mark as wanting to watch are listed at the bottom. If I click on something to get more information, it just starts playing. Maybe this makes sense on an XBOX but it seems to provide a very poor experience. Plus every time I move my mouse it says "Problem Communicating with Netflix, please try again." 

Oh well. Can still pull it up in Chrome until they mess that up as well.

well design is one thing but those communication errors will obviously get resolved, so it's probably a little early still.

AdrianW

Thank god Netflix didn't change the Win 8.1 app. I still have 8.1 for EMC, and the only other thing I use on the HTPC is Netflix. If the 8.1 app had changed as well, I would have had to go out to buy an Apple TV just for Netflix.

Patron Night

here's something the current app doesn't have that you guys might like, a nice and easy album screen.

Are you using logos and backdrops for the soundtrack or is it linked to the movie? Edited by Patron Night

AgileHumor

Is it still coming soon? Maybe less than one week? For Christmas? :D

Probably not. Just a best guess.

Edited by AgileHumor

SHSPVR
Luke, on 17 Dec 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

here's something the current app doesn't have that you guys might like, a nice and easy album screen.

Ahh you are so on my wish list hurry up or else I move from nice to the naughty list haha

@@soundsnake8 They've obviously hit some kind of snag along the way, I can totally understand how it would be tough to set any sort of deadline, or release date when building an app like this (or any kind) from the ground up. Obviously everyone's excited to try out the new app (including myself), but I also understand that when it's done, they'll release it, and not before that point.

• Like 2

TheShanMan

There's heavy active development. Hopefully we'll have some kind of beta by the end of the month.

We all want to get our hands on the new version, but what value does posting this add?

• Like 1

soundsnake8

@@soundsnake8 They've obviously hit some kind of snag along the way, I can totally understand how it would be tough to set any sort of deadline, or release date when building an app like this (or any kind) from the ground up. Obviously everyone's excited to try out the new app (including myself), but I also understand that when it's done, they'll release it, and not before that point.

You're right of course, I am just salivating over the thought of a new EMBY Theater. I have no real reason to gripe I have Windows 10 with EMBY Theater and EMC both working wonderfully. The hardest decision I have to make is which one to watch a movie on (life is hard).... I have been using Media Browser for so many years now and still look forward to new releases...AGAIN a thousand apologies !

• Like 1

geneswain

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

Koleckai Silvestri, on 29 Oct 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:snapback.png

Is the Theater Beta anticipated to be released this year? 63 days left and I am sure family time and vacations for the holidays will subtract from available time.

Luke, on 29 Oct 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:snapback.png

yes, absolutely.

•  

Eager but willing to wait.  Last thing I want is to install something that breaks the system I am currently using.  Rather it gets released totally stable.

• Like 1

Eager but willing to wait.  Last thing I want is to install something that breaks the system I am currently using.  Rather it gets released totally stable.

It'll be as 'stable as possible', but it will still be a beta. Once we do get the release code, expect rapid updates to squash bugs.

pclausen

I think I speak for most here following this thread when I say that I'm willing to accept a beta release now rather than wait for a release (stable) version.

The sooner the beta is made public, the sooner we can provide feedback on stability issues the closed beta group may not have encountered yet.

Santa, please, with sugar on top, can I have a semi stable version of ET for Christmas?  ;)

djonnie

well, for those of you who help translate, the text has just been added to onesky :)

Great!

I could not find strings for the options that are in the Settings menu in the current (old) version.

yea unfortunately it seems there is no bulk way to assign translators from other apps, so although the text is up there, there's 150 people that need to be moved over into the project.

• Like 1