New version Update

CtrlAlt7

All this talk about 6-button remote has me wondering... what about those that prefer remotes with many more buttons?  Is it safe to assume we'll have the ability to make use of all those other buttons for direct access to functions?

Those buttons are still supported, they're just not considered essential.

• Like 4

Would it work if i press "T" on my mce remote the movie or tv-show "screen" would jump to the first item with t?

How it works in emby for media center? That is the one thing why my wife still use emc.... ☺

Would it work if i press "T" on my mce remote the movie or tv-show "screen" would jump to the first item with t?

How it works in emby for media center? That is the one thing why my wife still use emc.... ☺

Yes, I'm sure that will get done but right now we're starting with an on-screen jump list that makes it very fast to scroll through content and only requires directional input.

565b6fdd70abb_Untitled.png

• Like 6

Yes, I'm sure that will get done but right now we're starting with an on-screen jump list that makes it very fast to scroll through content and only requires directional input.

565b6fdd70abb_Untitled.png

Nice. Though jump lists more tricky when sorted by rating or run time though. Just not have them in those cases?

Or maybe 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140 minutes and Low, Average, High, Very High (~ 6, 7, 8, 9) for ratings.

Distribution for ratings hardly spread out... i.e.

https://rulesofreason.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/figure1.png

Same with run time:

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/runtime-histogram.jpg

And if it's descending do you you reverse the order of the jump list?

Nice. Though jump lists more tricky when sorted by rating or run time though. Just not have them in those cases?

Or maybe 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140 minutes and Low, Average, High, Very High (~ 6, 7, 8, 9) for ratings.

Distribution for ratings hardly spread out... i.e.

https://rulesofreason.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/figure1.png

Same with run time:

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/runtime-histogram.jpg

And if it's descending do you you reverse the order of the jump list?

Yes the logic needs to understand context, but none of those issues are unique to the on-screen jump list.  They are there with the method requested as well.

EMC does adjust its on-screen jump list (did you even know it was there?) in many of these scenarios.  ET can do the same as it develops.  At first, it just may only be there when sorted alphabetically.

AdrianW

EMC does adjust its on-screen jump list (did you even know it was there?) in many of these scenarios.  

I knew it was there (isn't it mapped to green or blue?) - but it never gets used in our house. I tend to use the triple-tap alpha input to jump to the correct letter, or just page up / page down to jump larger distances. I hope ET at least adds the page up/page down big jumps.

• Like 1

Yes the logic needs to understand context, but none of those issues are unique to the on-screen jump list.  They are there with the method requested as well.

EMC does adjust its on-screen jump list (did you even know it was there?) in many of these scenarios.  ET can do the same as it develops.  At first, it just may only be there when sorted alphabetically.

Sorry no, too long ago, and only tried EMC for a very short period.

Hi, guys.  I sure hate to do be the asshole to bother you about release dates, but I wanted to see if you are gunning for a release before Christmas.  I'm wanting to build an HTPC for my father as a gift, but I have reservations about putting the current MBT on it, as it's a big pain in the ass ( for anyone but me) to operate with a mouse from the couch due to the turbo scrolling speed.  I've learned from the past that if it's not easy to use the first time, they won't even try to work with it.  And I won't be flying back home until summer, so it will be months before I'd be able to upgrade and "retrain."  Thanks so much for your patience.

Josh

lifespeed
Skwerl, on 01 Dec 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:Skwerl, on 01 Dec 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

Hi, guys.  I sure hate to do be the asshole to bother you about release dates, but I wanted to see if you are gunning for a release before Christmas.  I'm wanting to build an HTPC for my father as a gift, but I have reservations about putting the current MBT on it, as it's a big pain in the ass ( for anyone but me) to operate with a mouse from the couch due to the turbo scrolling speed.  I've learned from the past that if it's not easy to use the first time, they won't even try to work with it.  And I won't be flying back home until summer, so it will be months before I'd be able to upgrade and "retrain."  Thanks so much for your patience.

Josh

Just as a general principle when it comes to new products and (especially) software; if the time frame is close you should plan on it not being available in a usable state.  I think you are much more likely to succeed in the summer.

Edited by lifespeed

my .2c on horizontal vs vertical... why not both? I like how some media apps have creative categorization on the 'home' page, where the categories are horizontally arranged across multiple screens/pages/whatever you call it, yet the chosen content under each category is in a vertical column. Like "More from this director..." "More by this actor..." "recently released..." etc etc. I like how the NXOE incorporated verticality, as well.

However, for flat out library viewing, a horizontal coverwall or poster view is much preferred to me. And on that note... I'm hoping the new ET will have a couple of viewing options in that regard as I use coverwall to pick a random video from my collection to watch as it allows you to look at many titles very quickly, but for my 'newly added' media I much prefer a Posterview type rolodex.

Koleckai Silvestri

Horizontal vs. Vertical display should be a component of the theme itself. Then people can always find the style they prefer or theme it themselves.

Yea certainly, either is possible, we're just going through a number of debates about what we think is best by default.

• Like 2

yardameus

I've always find I prefer the horizontal.  The old mediabrowser Lotus theme is a good example of a theme I really liked but I could never get into the vertical menu.  (I think it was called lotus, one of soultaker's themes)  There are still plenty of vertical menu themes in different programs that obviously people like both.  

Yea certainly, either is possible, we're just going through a number of debates about what we think is best by default.

Maybe Vertical as default.  So many more apps these days are doing vertical

Bandits

I think vertical scrolling apps became popular with phones due to the screen being portrait by default. Using a TV or a tablet where the screen is landscape it seems horizontal is more friendly.

• Like 5

I think vertical scrolling apps became popular with phones due to the screen being portrait by default. Using a TV or a tablet where the screen is landscape it seems horizontal is more friendly.

True that.  But if you're a mouse user like me the the scroll wheel comes in very handy. I think a theme with choices in scroll direction will be a winner with everyone.

soundsnake8

Is the Theater Beta anticipated to be released this year? 63 days left and I am sure family time and vacations for the holidays will subtract from available time.

yes, absolutely.

reluctantflux

I feel vertical scrolling is better because moving down one line displays more new content than scrolling horizontally one line.  Just food for thought.

• Like 1

pclausen

After further contemplation, I now agree that having vertical scrolling by default makes sense,

Let's just all agree on that ok? so that we can get the public beta released sooner rather than later.  :D

• Like 1

All I know is that I keep getting emails saying this and that have been updated especially emby server for various platforms but I'm still longing for an email that says the update to MBT is here.

Think I might give up and switch to Kodi.

For the initial release the home screen you saw in the blog teaser will probably remain, because i don't want to create any uncessary delays. a vertical redesign is something we started discussing though and it might happen later. When I say vertical redesign, I'm just talking the home screen, it doesn't mean the entire app is one way or the other. There are already screens that are vertical when appropriate.

Ok, I think we can all agree to disagree here. Horizontal media navigation is more familiar, and makes better use of widescreen displays. Vertical scrolling is more modern, and probably shows more media on screen at once, but as Luke has pointed out, this type of discussion will only slow the release down. I think nowadays it should be user choice, so an option for either would be welcome in the setup - themes might be able to take things a step further.

It's been two months since the teaser announcement, and we're all still waiting. Let's hope they can get something out for the xmas holidays.

Deathsquirrel

After further contemplation, I now agree that having vertical scrolling by default makes sense,

Let's just all agree on that ok? so that we can get the public beta released sooner rather than later.   :D

Never, no way, no how.  I mean they might do it, but I'm not agreeing.  :)

• Like 2