New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Snapper

Not only is it superior, but it's going to allow us to go multi-platform as well.

Will one of those platforms be Xbox One?  :D

Nick's MCE

I am sure that technically ET will be awesome. Spending so much time creating the art for logos, backdrops, posters etc (which are probably taken for granted the way they magically turn up in peoples collections), it would be a shame not to include discs and cleararts from day 1. Some of the cleararts being made are amazing. It should just be a standard part of any theme.

Well I have an ealy request for the themes to get working on it.

I still use Crystal, just awesome for blind.

Anyway stop wasting time reading my post and get back to ET.

Themes get them ing!!!,

:) :) :)

Nicks

Nick's MCE

I am sure that technically ET will be awesome. Spending so much time creating the art for logos, backdrops, posters etc (which are probably taken for granted the way they magically turn up in peoples collections), it would be a shame not to include discs and cleararts from day 1. Some of the cleararts being made are amazing. It should just be a standard part of any theme.

Well I have an ealy request for the themes to get working on it.

I still use Crystal, just awesome for blind.

Anyway stop wasting time reading my post and get back to ET.

Themes get them ing!!!,

:) :) :)

Nicks

xnappo

Kodi with Emby Plugin. I just wish it would play anything and not just tell me the item is no longer available. With a lot of effort, Kodi could be good, but I think the devs have lost focus of what makes an easy to use, family friendly media player. It's just too bloated and complicated now.

So first let me state that I am very excited with what Luke is doing with the technology choices for ET - I think it is going to be revolutionary.

However - if you would like help with Emby for Kodi please let us know how we can help over in the Kodi forum, certainly you shouldn't be getting that kind of error.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 3

I've been auditioning WMC replacements. Kodi, Plex, JRiver... Of those, only the latter is satisfactory to me, but for movie and TV series organization/access, it is not nearly as good as Emby for WMC. I have high hopes that the new Emby Theater will be the true WMC replacement for all media (including TV DVR). I'm cheering the devs on from afar... Yay, Team!

Edited by iam4uk
  • Like 2

It's coming soon. We are currently working on the in-video experience. Like for instance today, we're debating if we want the back button to stop video or draw inspiration from Windows Media Center to minimize it to a corner or keep it playing underneath the UI so that you can multi-task. It's not such an easy choice anymore now that the back button is becoming almost universal convention to stop what you're doing. In fact, after building those two multi-tasking options, they do kind of feel a little old school.

We are also looking at the home screen and debating if we want to continue with the side scrolling or possibly go vertical so that we can show more content and reduce navigation.

So that's what we're doing :)

• Like 6

It's coming soon. We are currently working on the in-video experience. Like for instance today, we're debating if we want the back button to stop video or draw inspiration from Windows Media Center to minimize it to a corner or keep it playing underneath the UI so that you can multi-task. It's not such an easy choice anymore now that the back button is becoming almost universal convention to stop what you're doing. In fact, after building those two multi-tasking options, they do kind of feel a little old school.

We are also looking at the home screen and debating if we want to continue with the side scrolling or possibly go vertical so that we can show more content and reduce navigation.

Sounds great, but it also sounds like it still some way off then. I doubt we're talking days, more like weeks. Still, it's ready when it's ready I guess, but if it's ready in time for xmas, that will be fanatastic, and will give us all some time to test it out.

SikSlayer

If I may input an opinion, I would prefer the latter, not the former. It's just a better experience if the video keeps playing in the background. If the user wishes it to stop, that's what a stop button is for. I understand the concern for control methods without transport buttons, but there's options such as hitting the enter/select button to get an on screen menu or something.

Also, considering what Windows 10 did to tablets with vertical scrolling (up/down) for the full screen start menu, where most people don't like it, unless they're holding a tablet in portrait mode, then it looks and works great. But for landscape situations like Emby Theater offers, I think continuing with side to side scrolling is best. An option to choose would be best, but also more work for you.

I know these choices aren't easy, but I trust you'll make things look and work well.
  • Like 4

MadibaJ

If I may input an opinion, I would prefer the latter, not the former. It's just a better experience if the video keeps playing in the background. If the user wishes it to stop, that's what a stop button is for. I understand the concern for control methods without transport buttons, but there's options such as hitting the enter/select button to get an on screen menu or something.

Also, considering what Windows 10 did to tablets with vertical scrolling (up/down) for the full screen start menu, where most people don't like it, unless they're holding a tablet in portrait mode, then it looks and works great. But for landscape situations like Emby Theater offers, I think continuing with side to side scrolling is best. An option to choose would be best, but also more work for you.

I know these choices aren't easy, but I trust you'll make things look and work well.

I have to agree with both points.

Also, considering what Windows 10 did to tablets with vertical scrolling (up/down) for the full screen start menu, where most people don't like it, unless they're holding a tablet in portrait mode, then it looks and works great. But for landscape situations like Emby Theater offers, I think continuing with side to side scrolling is best. An option to choose would be best, but also more work for you.

I think I agree with this. No point changing things for the sake of it. The 'back' button shouldn't really stop the video. Minimize it for sure (like MC), but STOP is STOP, and all MC remotes have a stop button. Personally, I don't like a lot of the changes in Win10 - MS still trying to force phone/tablet operations on a desktop. It just doesn't work. Horizontal scrolling is also much more natural on a widescreen 16:9 TV. If you want to provide an option for vertical scrolling, then fine, but horizontal is the better 'default' choice.

• Like 1

6 button control has been a goal from the beginning, and that includes the 4 directional buttons. So everything has to be possible with only primitive inputs, even pulling up the in-video OSD (down button). When additional buttons are available they can provide shortcuts but they are not being relied upon for anything such that the app wouldn't function without it.

pclausen

You guys are testing the new client on 4k screens right?  And the option to have more than 2 horizontal rows of tiles will be possible, right?

So 4 of the buttons are obviously up, down, left and right, but what are the last 2?  Stop and Ok/Enter/Select?

Definitely agree that horizontal scrolling should be the default (as long as the info displayed scales nicely to large 4k screens which the browser client does not at the moment).

Edited by pclausen

billy_ray

Awesome, thanks for the update!  I think I agree with the others, I think I would like what is playing to continue playing in the back ground.  While I like the XBone's UI I wish I could move around the entire thing while my tv still plays in the background, even if it is in a small window I guess.  I am getting used to the vertical scroll on the New XBone Experience so I'm not sure which of those I would prefer.

You can argue the new Xbox one UI does not look as pretty but it will sell more streaming content there is no doubt about it. You can see a large amount of material using only directionals without even leaving the home screen. Don't blame MS, blame consumers who complain about click counts or the ones who can't find anything if it's not right there on the start screen. We have seen it too with the current MBT, that series screens are pretty but it's too many clicks to get to episodes, things of that nature.

• Like 1

Not too sure on the back button. It makes sense to continue playing if it's something like live TV (especially of you're looking something up during adverts). If you're watching a movie etc, pausing likely prefered.

Scrolling vertically - would be a welcome change after trying out CEC with TV remote, holding down the direction keys provides for very slow scrolling! (In current media browser theater. Had to map the END key to a key on the remote.) Well at least 3 times slower than using a keyboard. I'm not sure if this is my TV or remote or typical of CEC.

Not sure if we're just used to horizontal scrolling, but do agree probably does feel/look nicer. Maybe relates more to real world interactions e.g. carousels, paging a book are all horizontal experiences. Scrolling DOWN a webpage.

So I definitely see the struggle in making such design decisions. And while options are almost always good, you also don't want too many of these, so needs to be important enough to merit it (might be in this case).

P.S. Again think it's fantastic making sure everything is usable with DPAD, OK/Enter and Back. Trying to find find buttons when you have many on a remote can be a pain - but those 6 are generally easy to use on any remote.

Just to throw a spanner in the works.  You could have it vertical, then later work on horizontal.  On the horizontal release have an option for the person to select either.  Or vice versa with release horizontal then later vertical.
Don't mean to suggest to do more work though ;)
Also having the back button as just that, a back button which minimises the show.  There's a reason there is a stop button.

Edited by DigiTM

Just another thought, when listening to music surely back wouldn't pause/stop the music? So maybe should keep playing, keep it consistent. (While playing music I'm assuming it'd be common to want to do other things e.g. browser photos, guide, setup recordings etc.)

Essentially having it pause stop the media does not allow for multi tasking at all does it... So one extra step in pausing/stopping media before hitting back for that added flexibility. Seems worth it to me, unless you can argue ~99% of the time people are actually pausing before hitting back and it's really just an extra hassle/stop for no reason. (Possibly worth considering collecting data on this front if you really to know. Opt in, to send this sort of usability info to be analyzed.)

it has nothing to do with mobile and everything to do with the way people use apps today. a lot has changed even since the original MBT was released.

• Like 1

OK fair enough.

What device is the new MBT is targeted at?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

The TV, although I don't know how that's not clear :)

I think it will be fine on a big screen tablet to swipe around with your fingers but that's not really where the testing is focused right  now.