New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Yeah, I realise it is intended to be viewed on the TV, projector etc. Perhaps I should have asked what platform it is intended to be run on as its main target - htpc, tablet, phone etc? or all of these?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I realise it is intended to be viewed on the TV, projector etc. Perhaps I should have asked what platform it is intended to be run on as its main target - htpc, tablet, phone etc? or all of these?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

HTPC would be the primary target...

HTPC would be the primary target...

Yes but what you're going to see in 2016 is the rise of the app that runs on everything and morphs appropriately depending on the screen its' being displayed on. So that's what he's alluding to. right now we are targeting a traditional windows application but this app can run on anything, it is just a matter of creating packages and deployments.

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

6 button control has been a goal from the beginning, and that includes the 4 directional buttons. So everything has to be possible with only primitive inputs, even pulling up the in-video OSD (down button). When additional buttons are available they can provide shortcuts but they are not being relied upon for anything such that the app wouldn't function without it.

Having by default the green MCE button launch Emby theater would be very cool!!!

I have a thought on the back button (my experience from KodI).  When watching a movie at 24Hz would pressing the back button cause the screen to switch back to 60Hz?  Would only pressing "stop" cause the screen to switch back to 60Hz?  Of course this is assuming that you guys are having the native ET player be able to switch the frame rate... I certainly hope so!!!  

Nick's MCE

Hi All

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on all the discussions.

Remote: Don't change anything, the way the MCE remote works is fine with the movie still playing if I press back. Most other programmable remotes are based around the MCE remote  as well, just look at the harmony remotes. I would imagine that if we start moving away from the MCE format then the Harmony set-ups will need customizing to work. Will you have  full remote features using all the buttons, skip forward, fast forward, guide, info etc?. Also will  there be a double tap feature for searching the alphabet etc.? Also why don't we make the traditional green button the button to direct launch MBT?.

Vertical or Horizontal scroll: mmm, well I am still using crystal theme which scrolls vertically. It in my opinion is simply the best theme ever launched. It has space for all the features like roll out discs, open covers, CLEARARTS, video backdrops etc, etc. lots of options on the home screen and a nice batch of colour themes. I find the rest of the themes with the horizontal scrolling all to be a little boring, no bells and whistles and all based on the same scrolling platform. 

Whatever turns up I am sure will be nothing short of awesome, can't wait.

By the way, I am running 5 HTPC's in the house and have a bench testing HTPC, if there is any testing to be done I am more than happy.  (Actually just want to get a peek at what's coming).

Later

Nicks

• Like 1

Nick's MCE

Having by default the green MCE button launch Emby theater would be very cool!!!

I have a thought on the back button (my experience from KodI).  When watching a movie at 24Hz would pressing the back button cause the screen to switch back to 60Hz?  Would only pressing "stop" cause the screen to switch back to 60Hz?  Of course this is assuming that you guys are having the native ET player be able to switch the frame rate... I certainly hope so!!!  

Funny we both wrote about the green button at the same time. ;)

whitestrat13

I have been thinking about the back button thing for a little bit, and I'll share my thoughts.

1. I have been using the Roku for a while, it doesn't support multitasking, and I don't miss it. If I want to browse to something else, view the tv guide, or schedule a recording while I'm watching a movie, I'm more inclined to use my phone or tablet.

2. I want to move from my Roku to a small form factor PC for native playback of lossless DVD and BD rips and advanced rendering/upscaling with marVR. That being said, if overlaying the UI causes you to revert from 24 fps to 60 fps, I'd much prefer the overlay not being there.

3. For music playback, please, please, please, let me navigate elsewhere, find the next album or playlist, and view photos without stopping playback. It's also important to have an easy way to get back to a "now playing" screen with full playback controls.

In summary: for video stop playback, and for music let it continue playing.

As always, these are my personal thoughts/preferences. I trust that the devs will use their best judgement and make choices that are best for the user base as a whole. I look forward to the release of Emby Theater.

I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving, and can enjoy some much needed time off and time with family.

When you start music playback you are taken to the now playing screen. you can back out of it and then an icon will appear in the top right allowing you to return anytime you like.

• Like 3

Vidman

Perhaps it can work the same for video...press back once for playback osd (where the user can then decide to stop or pause) and pressing again when on the osd minimises (or continues playback) with main menu or last item overlay and have a return to fullscreen playback button somewhere

Edited by Vidman

yardameus

I guess what I'm more curious about is, is the core of the program up and running?  I realize tweaks and changes like you are discussing can take a long time, and I'm willing to wait.  Just knowing that you are making changes to a functional program that isn't going to need a major under the hood revamp is a good thing.  Granted, this is coming from someone who is generally satisfied with Emby for Kodi.  (Still prefer the browsing of Emby based themes compared to Kodi themes)

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Definitely in favor of back stopping video.  I don't multitask on a HTPC.

Strongly prefer horizontal scroll to vertical but assuming there will be lots of themes this likely doesn't matter.  Just can't upgrade until I'm scrolling horizontally.

• Like 1

Vidman

Perhaps it can work the same for video...press back once for playback osd (where the user can then decide to stop or pause) and pressing again when on the osd minimises (or continues playback) with main menu or last item overlay and have a return to fullscreen playback button somewhere

Thinking more on it out loud here when playing back video you could have left as rewind, right as ff, up as chapter skip up, down as chapter skip down, select/enter to pause and bring up the osd with the play/pause button highlighted, and back to just bring up the osd and keep playing except with stop highlighted this would give good flexibility with minimal button presses to perform most common function (of course IMHO) then pressing "back" again with osd up would keep the video playing in the background or minimised whilest browsing Edited by Vidman

I think we will regret it if we don't follow the current trend and have backing out of a video stop it.  That's just how video players work now.  None of the modern device remotes even have a stop button.

Of course, music is a different animal but we already have that covered.

• Like 7

I think we will regret it if we don't follow the current trend and have backing out of a video stop it.  That's just how video players work now.  None of the modern device remotes even have a stop button.

And boy do I miss not having a stop button on remotes these days. We're all getting caught up in this mobile thing - Microsoft especially, and it's a right pain. A PC is a PC, and should be treated as such. If you're developing a Win32 app that could just be a true replacement for WMC, then don't worry about all the current trend for mobility. You already have mobile apps for everything else that follow all the 'on the move' requirements. When I'm sat down looking at a 10' UI on a 55" screen from my HTPC running Windows 7 using my 'old school' RC6 remote control it should feel and function like a true lounge-friendly program, and not a mobile wanabee.

I think it's easy getting caught up coding for the lowest common denominator as well. I get you want Emby everywhere that's simple enough even for your granny to use, but don't forget the hardened, experienced users who've been with this product since the beginning, and who love Emby enough to donate more than once. We need all the functionality to tune the product to work as we need it to. Microsoft again have been mauled for taking away options and removing user choice, dumbing things down the point that programs actually become unusable, or start losing the point of existing.

You've got some amazing,dedicated devs working on this product and a growing, loyal following, but don't get all caught up in following the pack.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

And boy do I miss not having a stop button on remotes these days. We're all getting caught up in this mobile thing - Microsoft especially, and it's a right pain. A PC is a PC, and should be treated as such. If you're developing a Win32 app that could just be a true replacement for WMC, then don't worry about all the current trend for mobility. You already have mobile apps for everything else that follow all the 'on the move' requirements. When I'm sat down looking at a 10' UI on a 55" screen from my HTPC running Windows 7 using my 'old school' RC6 remote control it should feel and function like a true lounge-friendly program, and not a mobile wanabee.

I think it's easy getting caught up coding for the lowest common denominator as well. I get you want Emby everywhere that's simple enough even for your granny to use, but don't forget the hardened, experienced users who've been with this product since the beginning, and who love Emby enough to donate more than once. We need all the functionality to tune the product to work as we need it to. Microsoft again have been mauled for taking away options and removing user choice, dumbing things down the point that programs actually become unusable, or start losing the point of existing.

You've got some amazing,dedicated devs working on this product and a growing, loyal following, but don't get all caught up in following the pack.

A simple counter argument is 'don't slavishly emulate a failed product.'.  WMC had some good points but it failed in the market.  'WMC did it this way' is not a compelling argument to me.  Many modern remotes don't have a stop button and use back as a replacement.

• Like 1

Latchmor

Well I'll be using the Live TV part of ET every single day and this is where WMC got it right, it just works. Luke has said he will be emulating a lot of WMC for the TV parts. I often back out of Live TV (leaving it playing) to Recorded TV, the Guide or to the home menu to get to EMC and look something up. Sure I can get used to pressing the dedicated Rec TV and Guide (and home if there is one) buttons to do this but I'd just rather leave back/return as exactly that and stop for stopping. Yes I have 3 remotes that don't have a stop button but these devices are not where ET is heading (initially).

A simple counter argument is 'don't slavishly emulate a failed product.'.  WMC had some good points but it failed in the market.  'WMC did it this way' is not a compelling argument to me.  Many modern remotes don't have a stop button and use back as a replacement.

I'm not asking for WMC emulation. It was good at what it did, but failed in many other areas. WMC is dead, but we're hanging onto it on our HTPC's because we don't feel there's a viable replacement for live TV especially. I'd be entirely happy to go with ET if it did live TV and recordings well, served up my media with a descent 10' UX with high quality video and audio playback and could be controlled well with a standard MC compatible remote. It doesn't have to look like MC, or work like MC, but it has to be smooth to operate and reliable.

With WMC on the way out, there are going to be a few other products wanting to step up and take over that space- JRiver, MediaPortal, Kodi, Plex and of course Emby all spring to mind. Kodi and MediaPortal are just too complex for the average user, JRiver is quite expensive, which in my opinion leaves Plex and Emby to slug it out. Emby is better in many respects, but you've got to be able to draw in those WMC hold-outs. One thing that WMC did well though was live TV - BDA tuners, cablecard support, OTA, satellite, it had them all covered with an automatic guide that just worked. People are going to want to take that same kit they've already bought with their WMC compatible remotes and install a replacement and want it to work just as easily. I know none of the devs of these products have the resources Microsoft do, but they have passion and aren't doing it just for the money, and they all want to succeed.

• Like 2

Chest Rockwell

The thing I dislike most about MBT is the horizontal scrolling.  I would strongly encourage switching to vertical scrolling or at least allowing vertical poster wall scrolling as an option  In my opinion, horizontal scrolling feels very unnatural since almost every other application scrolls vertically, including web browsers, word processors, MBC, Emby web client, etc.).  In addition, the current horizontal scheme does not show as many posters as quickly as does the vertical schemes used by the web client and MBC.  This is a significant issue for those of us with large media collections to scroll through.  Scrolling horizontally feels sluggish, inefficient, and unnatural.  Finally, at least some of us out here use a keyboard/mouse set up and horizontal scrolling works poorly with a mouse since the mouse scroll wheel does not work.

Above, some posters seem to defend horizontal scrolling because of its use on tablets?  But Emby already has dedicated applications for Android and iOS.  Seems to me MBT should be focused on HTPC.

We're totally with you, this is a living room application 100%. But we are looking to incorporate modern designs and trends, and try and bring some new things to the table.

Vidman

I think we will regret it if we don't follow the current trend and have backing out of a video stop it. That's just how video players work now. None of the modern device remotes even have a stop button.

Well i expected that response from you ;) what is about the emby team perferring to follow trends over functionality ?

I don't mean to sound like I'm have a go, just curious

• Like 2

True good point, so many apps now use back as a stop.  Eventually STOP road signs will be changed to say "BACK" :P

Also no matter what the devs decide I am sure MBT will be awesome!!

Edited by DigiTM

swhitmore

I personally prefer not stopping on back. This sort of thing is always going to come down to personal preference. Something to think about is the fact that since the functionally is already established, you would probably piss more people off by changing it, then not. Unless it's something that a vast majority can agree on, there is no point changing for change sake.

Edited by swhitmore