New version Update

CtrlAlt7

We're totally with you, this is a living room application 100%. But we are looking to incorporate modern designs and trends, and try and bring some new things to the table.

Hmm. Not all that glisters is gold. Some modern designs and trends irritate the hell out of me. WMC may have failed in the market, but it still has more functionality for music and photo collections than anything else currently available (with the possible exception of JRiver).

• Like 2

JoshuaAJones

My two cents.

Pick the easiest options for the initial distribution and add the other options in a follow up build.

Please note that I said "options".

• Like 1

Hmm. Not all that glisters is gold. Some modern designs and trends irritate the hell out of me. WMC may have failed in the market, but it still has more functionality for music and photo collections than anything else currently available (with the possible exception of JRiver).

I agree, WMC music and photo management is the way to go or at least some functionality to play music while watching photos and if possible show occasionally show an overlay with the info of the current song.

You'll be happy to know then that both photos and music are modeled heavily after wmc. I also agree that wmc really got it right in those two areas.

• Like 1

Well i expected that response from you ;) what is about the emby team perferring to follow trends over functionality ?

I don't mean to sound like I'm have a go, just curious

It isn't about being trendy.  It is about a new user being able to pick something up and just know how it works.  The video not stopping on back will be very foreign to anyone not coming from WMC.

• Like 2

pclausen

If one only has a 6 button remote, and the back button does not stop playback, then what button does?

There are times when being able to pause/stop whatever is playing is very convenient.  ;)

Jdiesel

Other than playing music, 99% of the time I want the media to stop playing when back out of fullscreen and start navigate the menu.  I don't see the appeal of having the video continue to play in the background. 

• Like 1

Raptor6L

My hat is firmly in the stop button area. My opinion is the experience should be consistent across all media types. If you hit back when you're playing music and the music will keep playing, then the same thing should happen when you are watching live tv, or a movie, or whatever. If you start introducing "stop on back" for something but not for others, I can see frustration levels rising.

I've read through the tread, but I must have missed something: if basic functions are going to be controlled by 6 buttons, I cannot see how basic functions can be fulfilled without stop on back, but if stop on back is implemented, how are we going to stop music when it has already been said the back button will not stop music that is currently playing?

I can see the necessity for the new ET to be functional across the many platforms out there. For this particular issue, I'd like to see "Stop on Back" being an option that is selected by default to be active. Then for those people who run a HTPC and want that multi-tasking capability, we can going into the options menu and untick it so Back is now Back, and the Stop function is returned to the Stop button.

Having said that, I'm not a dev, so may well be asking for something that isn't possible....?

Regardless, looking forward to the release of the new ET!!!

Cheers

Raptor

Edited by Raptor6L

You can't shoehorn every media type into the same workflow. then you end up with an experience that works but might not excel. you have to allow music to have it's own workflow independent of video. all of the major streaming services that offer both music and video all separate them into their own apps for this very reason. We don't do that because most Emby users are not going to have libraries large enough to justify different apps for music and video, but the intention is still the same. 

To answer the question, if you check out the screenshots from the original blog posting, there was one showing that music has a now playing screen with on-screen buttons for this reason

561bc545a351b_5.png

• Like 1

You'll be happy to know then that both photos and music are modeled heavily after wmc. I also agree that wmc really got it right in those two areas.

Good to hear, but now I'm finding the wait for the new version even more frustrating than before... :(

Nick's MCE

Well, I would suppose that this is really a legacy issue, most htpc users will have grown up on the functionality of wmc. We have stop, back and skip and so on, (on a side note, I use skip a lot). There is also info which gives the options to change the aspect which comes in handy with some older movies.

The stop on back is very much an app based thing, not so much for htpc. Htpc and apps are 2 different things. When I back out of an app I want it to stop, but on htpc which represents 90% of my use with 5 machines in the house, well I like to have stop and back. Very often while watching a movie I will go back with the movie still playing to search an actor and see what other movies they are in. I also at times go back to read the description to to get the heads up on what I am about to watch. WIt music I often go back to add another album to the play list, don't really want the music to stop.

I think by not having stop and back as 2 separate functions we would be losing functionality.

If everything just works like wmc, well it will just be fine.

In the case of people with a 6 button remote, well I think an upgrade is in order. I recommend harmony, I have 5 and as long as the ir codes exist you can program any button to do what ever you want. You could e en program the back button to STOP. Now there's a thing.

Regardless, I will be happy with whatever the devs cone up with unless there are no spinning discs and cleararts.

Scrolling should be vertical, let's dare to be different. Horizontal is so boring.

Later

Nicks

Deathsquirrel

Scrolling should be vertical, let's dare to be different. Horizontal is so boring.

With horizontal scrolling a handful of the posters I want to page to are cut in half.  With vertical scrolling it's a much higher percentage.  I prefer horizontal because vertical is harder to read.

MikeMcEwan

I would prefer that the back button stops the video. I thought it looked pretty nifty at first, but the more I think about it the more I realize it's actually pretty irritating 90% of the time. I don't like having the movie play in the background while I'm navigating through the menu. Just my opinion.

Koleckai Silvestri

If one only has a 6 button remote, and the back button does not stop playback, then what button does?

There are times when being able to pause/stop whatever is playing is very convenient.  ;)

Usually the play button does double duty and pauses as well. Press once and it plays. Then it acts as a toggle when you press it.

• Like 1

Vidman

You can't shoehorn every media type into the same workflow. then you end up with an experience that works but might not excel. you have to allow music to have it's own workflow independent of video. all of the major streaming services that offer both music and video all separate them into their own apps for this very reason. We don't do that because most Emby users are not going to have libraries large enough to justify different apps for music and video, but the intention is still the same.

To answer the question, if you check out the screenshots from the original blog posting, there was one showing that music has a now playing screen with on-screen buttons for this reason

561bc545a351b_5.png

My suggestion would allow consistent operation with music and video

I don't think all media should be treated the same personally. For example, for music I would like to back out of to pick the next song or add to the playlist without playback stopping.

However, video media I would prefer to stop when I back out as I would only ever want it to keep playing if I where picking the next tv episode, but that would be much better built in like Netflix to auto play the next item or other popup choice.

I would make it that way to start for ease of use for modern function then add an option to do it the old way if needed in the future.

My 2 cents.

What about live tv? Browsing the epg during ads etc?

Good point with live TV. Maybe the info button could bring up a slightly smaller guide with the video in the background for this application.

For movies and recorded (stored) tv shows I often hit back to exit and go ah crap, go back in hit stop and then back out again as the remote I use doesn't have a stop button...its a simple remote (air mouse with mouse off) so the kids can pick shows and such by themselves.

• Like 1

Raptor6L

I don't think all media should be treated the same personally. For example, for music I would like to back out of to pick the next song or add to the playlist without playback stopping.

However, video media I would prefer to stop when I back out as I would only ever want it to keep playing if I where picking the next tv episode, but that would be much better built in like Netflix to auto play the next item or other popup choice.

I would make it that way to start for ease of use for modern function then add an option to do it the old way if needed in the future.

My 2 cents.

What about live tv? Browsing the epg during ads etc?

Moreover, what if you're timeshifting Live TV? Soon as you hit back, you'll lose any and all buffering.

i would expect the video player OSD to have it's own embedded guide rather than having to back to the main UI during playback in order to pull it up. 

• Like 5

puithove

All this talk about 6-button remote has me wondering... what about those that prefer remotes with many more buttons?  Is it safe to assume we'll have the ability to make use of all those other buttons for direct access to functions?

• Like 1

All this talk about 6-button remote has me wondering... what about those that prefer remotes with many more buttons?  Is it safe to assume we'll have the ability to make use of all those other buttons for direct access to functions?

Don't know why you'd even have any concern. Of course...

So long as things are done right, you can certainly get away with 6 buttons without much or a trade off. ~90% of the time it's still one press to do what you want. Less used functions obviously more steps/presses.

But atm MBT does nothing for the directional and enter/OK key when playing media. Why not at the very least have them do something. You're using the dpad to use the menus, why should you have to go looking for skip/play/pause/etc.

It will be interesting to see how well the implementation works.

(Also be nice to at some point be able to map your remote to Emby Theater actions - perhaps use the same XML format Kodi uses?)

There are times when being able to pause/stop whatever is playing is very convenient.   ;)

In today's media world "pause" is the same thing as stop so that is what button will stop your music as well as on-screen controls.