New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Nick's MCE

Have to agree about Kodi being a dismal user experience. It is similar to the result you would get if you asked a bunch of adolescent school kids to design the ultimate car - wings, wheels, rockets, guns, ejector seats and spoliers! Too much (pointless) functionality and all those skins which all seem to have different functionality. Ideal for geeks I guess but I just want to be able to watch TV and films and not have to explain to family and friends where everything is; or isn't if you swap skins! Unfortunately it has developed into a product that wants to be all things for all enthusiasts with no thought for the general public. Emby is as close as it gets to a domestically acceptable product.

Like this and totally agree, if microsoft hadn't dumped WMC we would all still be  happy with EMBY

Yep.  I LOLed because you made it sound like you thought some design decision was made not to include photos or something.  The screen shots were a pre-alpha teaser - it should be obvious that it is not feature complete.

Just making sure that photos are not being forgotten. I see this elsewhere with other (non-Emby) projects, so I rather expect it as a matter of course.

billy_ray

I just hope that EMBY THEATRE is  worth the wait, I am a dedicated EMBY user and really don't want to change and start messing with WMC 10 hacks. I  want something permanent without threat of crashing.

It just needs to have the simple interface of MBC, use all the fanart, like discs, cleararts etc and provide all the Live TV elements of WMC. Will EMBY THEATRE use coverart??.

The sooner the better for me!

Nicks

Same here.  Just give me the same capabilities and ease of use as WMC (with an updated interface) and the same awesomeness of Emby via the web browser all in one package.  The GF and I will be happy campers. 

Forgive me but I couldn't figure out how to search the thread....

Only reason I have not upgraded to Emby Theater yet (and am still using WMC via Windows 8.1) is due to TV tuner support. I have an old ASUS TV tuner card. Will (the new) Emby Theater support this if I provide the driver? If not, which PCIe cards does it support. I will upgrade my tuner card, just need to know exactly which tuner will be supported. Thanks.

jasonmcroy

Forgive me but I couldn't figure out how to search the thread....

Only reason I have not upgraded to Emby Theater yet (and am still using WMC via Windows 8.1) is due to TV tuner support. I have an old ASUS TV tuner card. Will (the new) Emby Theater support this if I provide the driver? If not, which PCIe cards does it support. I will upgrade my tuner card, just need to know exactly which tuner will be supported. Thanks.

The only tuner that Emby supports without a plugin is the HDHomerun Tuner. To use a different tuner card than this you need a 3rd party program (Like windows media center) and the plugin to go with it via the server. Emby Theater by itself only shows you what the Server delivers to it.

Right now you could use the ServerWMC plugin and that will pull your Live TV data from Windows Media Center into the Server which can then be used by the various Apps, including Emby Theater. The current Emby Theater will not show you a grid EPG though, just your channels. It will have an EPG guide in the updated Emby Theater when it is released.

The other DVR programs the Server has plugins for are NextPVR, Media Portal, Argus and one other that I can't remember right now. There is a separate thread under Live TV about all of those.

Hope this helps.

If you're looking to upgrade to a new Tuner though I personally recommend the HDHomerun Tuner. I have used it for about 2 years and I love it. 

-Jason

legierk

You can stay with Windows 8 as me, the support is until 2023 and are much years you can work with WMC.

Until 2023 there may be many changes, including new O.S including WMC.

I am particularly happy with Windows 8 and Emby Classic, Windows 10 does not bring me anything, maybe just headaches

Edited by Teddy

MadibaJ

The other DVR programs the Server has plugins for are NextPVR, Media Portal, Argus and one other that I can't remember right now. There is a separate thread under Live TV about all of those.

-Jason

Sadly not Argus :-(

you would have to take it out of the user's library using access settings

Thanks @@Luke. That got rid of channels, is there any way to get rid of folders as well?

Thanks Teddy and Jason. I should have pointed out: Server=Windows 10/Emby Server and HTPC=Windows 8.1/WMC/Emby Classic. It does work perfectly, but like everyone I guess, I figured I was missing something by not having the latest and greatest.

I have read about and heard alot about the HDHomerun tuners. I will definately consider getting one of those.

Happy2Play

Thanks @@Luke. That got rid of channels, is there any way to get rid of folders as well?

Are you referring to folder for Folders view?  If so I believe you have to modify the users config.xml since the option was removed from Home Screen settings.  (<DisplayFoldersView>false</DisplayFoldersView>)

%AppData%\Emby-Server\config\users\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 1

Are you referring to folder for Folders view?  If so I believe you have to modify the users config.xml since the option was removed from Home Screen settings.  (<DisplayFoldersView>false</DisplayFoldersView>)

%AppData%\Emby-Server\config\users\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perfect! Thanks!

pclausen

Ok, so now that we have seen real screenshots of what appear to be a fully working Theater client, any predictions on when the beta version will be made available to early adopters?  Before Thanksgiving? (2015  ;)

techywarrior

any predictions on when the beta version will be made available to early adopters?

No :)

It's in development but there are still lots of things that need to be built and worked out.

Just look at the predictions just to get the teaser out to you all :)

• Like 2

techywarrior

Has the MPDN video player portion been dropped from the project?

I believe that the video player is the same as the previous Emby Theater. For cross platform where that isn't available there is another player in the pipeline to use.

My understanding is that most people like the actual video player in Emby Theater, it was just the rest that wasn't on par and up to date with other clients.

wally007

Please finish the Emby Theater and iOS and you're sure to pick up disgruntled Plex customers.

I'm one of them and unfutunately there is no alternative right now. I'm not going to XBMC (I Need Server -> Client) with my hopes riding on Emby to pick up where Plex crapped out.

• Like 1

Please finish the Emby Theater and iOS and you're sure to pick up disgruntled Plex customers.

I'm one of them and unfutunately there is no alternative right now. I'm not going to XBMC (I Need Server -> Client) with my hopes riding on Emby to pick up where Plex crapped out.

Kodi (XBMC) with the emby plugin functions as an emby client. You don't use Kodi library, you're just using it as an interface to browse your emby library.

I've had good luck lately with the iOS app for iPad that has the funky colored icon. It didn't work for the longest time and I was pissed that I spent money on it, but I tried it the other night and it worked just fine, and a heck of a lot better than it does in Safari... though, in a pinch and on my iPhone, Safari still works ok. Actually, I find Opera works a bit better.

Edited by z0mbi

wally007

I've had Emby installed a year ago when when i tried XBMC plugin it didnt work right. I have number of Movies, TV Shows libraries that are all from different sources ( Home Movies, Foreign Movies, Movies, Sports etc ) which I never want to have grouped into one "Movie Library". I want them in different libraries all together. 

There is no reason to jump from working solution PHT ( albeit with no future ) into hack fest that is XBMC and bunch of plugins, skin editing etc...

I will wait for Theater to be released. Screenshots look nice ( very polished ) and if skinning will be supported It will be even better.

iOS (for me) is crucial. I'm not going back 6 years in time and use HTML instead of an app ( on the phone or tablet ) , sorry. 

iOS (for me) is crucial. I'm not going back 6 years in time and use HTML instead of an app ( on the phone or tablet ) , sorry.

No need to apologize. Give this Media Browser iOS app a shot if you're looking for one. It's iPad only, though, unfortunately. As I mentioned before, it's working pretty good for me, now, and has a much nicer interface than the other one that's available... but it has had a bit of a rocky past so I'm not sure how much active support it sees.

HTML is a very different animal than it was 6 years ago.

So is emby, the emby plugin for Kodi, and Kodi itself. @@wally007 while I understand your frustration and hesitation to re-try things that did not work for you in the past, they certainly are better, now.

Edited by z0mbi
  • Like 1

wally007

HTML is a very different animal than it was 6 years ago.

and its still nowhere near C++ or Objective C :)

I will definately give Emby another shot. But right now things are not there yet.

Things I've noticed while browsing forums:

-Mobile iOS client has no Sync ( no iPhone either ) and currently waiting for new app to be released. There is no way I'm going to ask kids to use web browser when they have native client for 'other' Media Server software.

-Live TV is not  working properly in EU/UK ( with non-working EPG either from xmltv or from FreeSAT / Freeview EPG streams )

-Kodi plugin doesnt have native own skin according to forums and it does not feel like a native client either.

I'm not frustrated at all. I just thought I'd voice my support for Emby Theater and wait for it to be released because blog post few days ago had me intrigued.

Angelblue05

Our new emby for kodi add-on didn't exist before april, this year. It is a completely different approach to our previous add-on xbmb3c (like plexbmc). With the new add-on, we now integrate your emby content directly into Kodi. This greatly boost the performance and you are free to use any kodi skin available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jdiesel

I've had Emby installed a year ago when when i tried XBMC plugin it didnt work right. I have number of Movies, TV Shows libraries that are all from different sources ( Home Movies, Foreign Movies, Movies, Sports etc ) which I never want to have grouped into one "Movie Library". I want them in different libraries all together. 

There is no reason to jump from working solution PHT ( albeit with no future ) into hack fest that is XBMC and bunch of plugins, skin editing etc...

I will wait for Theater to be released. Screenshots look nice ( very polished ) and if skinning will be supported It will be even better.

Our new emby for kodi add-on didn't exist before april, this year. It is a completely different approach to our previous add-on xbmb3c (like plexbmc). With the new add-on, we now integrate your emby content directly into Kodi. This greatly boost the performance and you are free to use any kodi skin available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The new Emby for Kodi plugin is a whole new beast.  It combines the benefits of Emby's media management with Kodi's excellent playback and interface.  There is no skin hacking to be done, use the stock Kodi skin as it works great.  It is as easy as installing the Emby addon after which it will automatically scan your network for Emby Server and import your media.  I went from using a dedicated HTPC with an i5 CPU and a Nvidia 770 GTX  graphics card running windows to a $35 Raspberry Pi that is absolutely amazing and don't plan on going back anytime soon.  I mean a $35 "toy" can play 1080p frame-packed 3D Bluray iso's perfectly synced to your display along with HD audio while sipping a measly 10 watts of electricity, that is amazing in my opinion.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 4

Koleckai Silvestri

I really wish people would stop suggesting Kodi/XMBC as a replacement for Emby Theater. We're posting in this thread because we want an EMBY client solution. Not a Kodi solution. Kodi has entire forums on this site where people can talk about it. If we wanted to use Kodi, we would post there and ask questions about it.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 2