New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Thanks for the advice everyone...the only query which remains outstanding is that of enhanced 3d support, for me that would be being able to play a sbs file in 2d, as in extending one side for monoscopic viewing...anyone?

I'm surprised this still isn't there yet, it's been requested many times since the very first release of MBT. I'm hoping (but doubtful) that the "triple-tap" method is in there as well, since it is the quickest way to navigate large collections with a remote, and has also been requested many times.

Triple-tap was a feature built-in to WMC.  I think what you are more likely to see in this and future apps is some sort of on-screen mechanism for selecting a letter.  Something like this:

55f339a34b5ff_jumplist.png

• Like 1

Swynol

is that ET in the above picture? if so i'm liking the 3 high poster wall. better than the current 2 as it takes ages to scroll my library.

Edited by Swynol

Xzener

No, Ebr posted a pic of a different client... Not sure which one though, I'm guessing Android TV or Amazon Fire TV.

That is the ATV/FTV app.  It was just an example of a letter jump-list.  The web client and EMC have the same type of thing.  I suspect ET will do something similar.

Is there a specific reason that triple-tap can't be implemented? The letter jump list helps, but with triple-tap you can get much more specific results with a remote, and much faster.

• Like 1

all of those things can be done, but they are being bumped down the priority list in favor of things you just "get" without requiring anyone to show you.

Triple-tap functionality is pretty undiscoverable and difficult to execute for the normal person.  Especially now that it is not something people do with phones anymore.

I just looked at my remote that I use now (Harmony) and it doesn't even list letters under the number buttons.

That is the ATV/FTV app.  It was just an example of a letter jump-list.  The web client and EMC have the same type of thing.  I suspect ET will do something similar.

It will be a welcome feature. I have almost 2000 movies on my NAS and the more sorting and viewing options the better as it is a PITA to view anything other that 'new releases' on most apps. Sometimes I just wanna jump to the middle of my library (I typically sort by date added to server) and dig around for something. The letter jump-list looks like a fantastic way to do just that, or perhaps a scroll bar in the same place if sorted by date added?

• Like 1

danielpugh

What i find really useful is a toggle for "unwatched". I couldn't see it on the blog post. Are there any plans for this functionality.

For music i mostly find a random playlist generator is really handy, hopefully this is possible too.

all of those things can be done, but they are being bumped down the priority list in favor of things you just "get" without requiring anyone to show you.

Triple-tap functionality is pretty undiscoverable and difficult to execute for the normal person.  Especially now that it is not something people do with phones anymore.

I just looked at my remote that I use now (Harmony) and it doesn't even list letters under the number buttons.

Fair enough. I'm just pumped we're getting closer to a release. Looks great by the way, I'm glad you guys stuck with something similar looking to the current iteration of Theater. I wasn't all that fond of the look of the original teaser from the new version. I like the look of this one much better.

I rarely write anything although I closely follow the development of Emby and right now particularly Theater, probably because Server has evolved wonderfully and I basically trust you guys to mostly know best. Maybe you do this time as well - it was very encouraging to read the Theater teaser and I am sure it will end up being great! (I already think it is, actually)

Nevertheless this made me want to add myself to the list of people requesting 'triple-tap'. Along with hitting record to refresh a view it is probably the one feature I miss most from MB2 in WMC (I went straight to MBT from there and skipped MBC). It is super fast and I can't see clicking my way through a list of characters competing with that. (Actually it sounds so cumbersome that I can't even see myself using such a feature - for my library size it is probably quicker to click through the list of media items itself... Any chance to make it optional so one doesn't need to see the list?). I should maybe add that I use a remote.

Anyway, apart from maybe being a borderline old-timer (I'm 40) and admittedly having letters under the numbers on my Harmony 900 remote, I consider myself a fairly normal person and would still prefer triple-tap to a character list. Good to hear one does not necessarily exclude the other though. But again, would be nice to be able to hide the letter list...

• Like 1

Will this new version have the ability to remove certain categories from the menu bar? I only use TV and Movies, and possibly Games depending on how well it's implemented. But I've never used folders, apps, or channels. I find they just add unnecessary clutter (for me, of course other users will be different), and it would be nice to be able to choose which headings to have in the menu bar.

Will this new version have the ability to remove certain categories from the menu bar? I only use TV and Movies, and possibly Games depending on how well it's implemented. But I've never used folders, apps, or channels. I find they just add unnecessary clutter (for me, of course other users will be different), and it would be nice to be able to choose which headings to have in the menu bar.

This is possible now via the user settings.  This app will follow that same configuration.

Jdiesel

I'm actually slightly concerned that ET is planning on being supported on multiple platforms as compromises need to be made in order to ensure that compatibility is achieved.  I fear that ET will need to adopt FFmpeg or something similar to support multiple platforms taking focus away from renderers like MadVR.  For those who are looking for a no compromise media solution integrated MadVR support was a selling feature for ET.

Snapper

It sounds like a lot of emphasis is placed on only having to use 6 remote buttons to use all the features, and I think that makes a lot of sense; however, can the other buttons be mapped to functions such as the guide button, etc?  Is there a skip forward feature in the player similar to what WMC and Kodi do where you can skip forward 30 seconds or back, and be able to adjust the amount of time it skips in either direction?

I'm actually slightly concerned that ET is planning on being supported on multiple platforms as compromises need to be made in order to ensure that compatibility is achieved.  I fear that ET will need to adopt FFmpeg or something similar to support multiple platforms taking focus away from renderers like MadVR.  For those who are looking for a no compromise media solution integrated MadVR support was a selling feature for ET.

If you had read the blog post, there'd be no possible way you could come up with that conclusion.

This is possible now via the user settings.  This app will follow that same configuration.

I was looking for a way to remove folders and channels earlier today, but couldn't find the option. Could someone point me in the right direction?

edit: so far, all I've figured out how to do is reorder them in the menu, not remove them

Edited by pmac

OK, I'll be prepared to give up my beloved (and efficient) Triple-tap function on my remote if, in exchange, ET will give proper support to a Photo Library.

I realise that the last time I mentioned Photo Library support in this thread it was met with derisive laughter, but some of us do have media collections that encompass more than just movies. Not to mention that WMC supported photo libraries from day one - back in 2004. I've got used to having the feature available. 

Swynol

i cant wait for the new ET - have used Theatre since they day it was released on beta. im not a fan of WMC and having a dedicated app is brilliant. 

Nick's MCE

I just hope that EMBY THEATRE is  worth the wait, I am a dedicated EMBY user and really don't want to change and start messing with WMC 10 hacks. I  want something permanent without threat of crashing.

It just needs to have the simple interface of MBC, use all the fanart, like discs, cleararts etc and provide all the Live TV elements of WMC. Will EMBY THEATRE use coverart??.

The sooner the better for me!

Nicks

• Like 1

xnappo

I think the reason people LOL'ed was this is pre alpha software, sure you can talk about feature you would like to see but seriously the second post on the blog outlining the new reboot of the ET project was about photos. Now people are talking about triple tap navigation.

Yep.  I LOLed because you made it sound like you thought some design decision was made not to include photos or something.  The screen shots were a pre-alpha teaser - it should be obvious that it is not feature complete.