New version Update

CtrlAlt7

Steven

My biggest questions is how is the Mouse and Keyboard controls?

Honestly, that was my biggest issue with the current Emby Theater that we've had for a while now, almost impossible to navigate with a mouse.

Yep as AdrianW says, it's great with a kb/mouse and scrolling with the mouse wheel is super fast - something that was missing in MBT.

Deathsquirrel

Yep as AdrianW says, it's great with a kb/mouse and scrolling with the mouse wheel is super fast - something that was missing in MBT.

But the current ET is such an exciting challenge to the reflexes with a mouse...

Xzener
Have to applaud the foundation that has been laid. The new Emby Theater is SOLID. I can not break it. Luke, and the dream team, absolute amazing job getting this complete rewrite to where it is. Sure hope theming takes off this time. Would love to see some old MB2.X themes make a come back.

Made this comment in the Dev forum and was asked to share it with you guys. This rewrite has taken longer than expected. I assure you, it is going to be worth the wait. Some last minute tweeks and bug squashing going on... not going to guarantee any dates, but it really close.

• Like 4

Steven

Agreed 100%. For MBT lovers this the evolution you've been waiting for. It's been a long wait but totally worth it.

• Like 2

TheShanMan

Just wondering, but is it possible in the new ET to select which audio device you want to send sound output to? This is one of the main reasons I use an external player. For normal TV viewing I use a soundbar, outputting PCM from my AMD GPU over HDMI via my TV. For movies, audio is routed to my amp. At the moment, the default sound device in Windows is the soundbar. In MPC-HC, I just select the amp output as the default, and it works perfectly. I like the idea of using the internal ET player, but I still need to have control of the audio.

Have you considered using EventGhost for this? I have a vintage B/W TV and I use EventGhost to switch a bunch of stuff over for using Emby on that TV (sound device and video card most notably).

:( 

Made this comment in the Dev forum and was asked to share it with you guys. This rewrite has taken longer than expected. I assure you, it is going to be worth the wait. Some last minute tweeks and bug squashing going on... not going to guarantee any dates, but it really close.

so not this week then? what does really close really mean? cause we've heard it used alot. Luke did say "should" have beta next week, last week . Im sure it'll be worth it  but it becoming a bit like the boy that cried wolf.

TheMafia

People need to stop sooking. It's not like they aren't actively working on it. 

I would rather something decent and with the least amount of bugs rather than something released early just to please the impatient ones.

• Like 5

justpig

I have read this thread with some amusement. Some people are clearly impatient for the new release, whilst others appear pretty sanguine about the time of release. There is no way to satisfy everyone all the time, so this is my proposal for this and future releases.

First have a development plan and draw up a road map; the road map can then be released and all will be aware of the expected release date. It is unhelpful to state coming soon or any such language because it is vague and results in demoralizing speculation.

Some would say it is free software so you should just shut up and be grateful for when it is released. This attitude is not helpful; though, it is free you are trying to build a brand. Even if your product is the best there is (which Emby definitely is); you do not want to tarnish the reputation of your brand, by appearing unprofessional. I agree patience is required but to engender patience it is better to have a clear road map, which can be revised if circumstances change.

• Like 4

I would rather something decent and with the least amount of bugs rather than something released early just to please the impatient ones.

Patience is highly overated. Saw 2 men the same age as me, in good health, be ing put in their final resting place last week. So at the moment I have no patience as we dont have the past or the future just the here and now. 1st world problems I know, but thats the world we live in now, where you have to deliver on time in every sector of society because things are changing so fast

I have read this thread with some amusement. Some people are clearly impatient for the new release, whilst others appear pretty sanguine about the time of release. There is no way to satisfy everyone all the time, so this is my proposal for this and future releases.

First have a development plan and draw up a road map; the road map can then be released and all will be aware of the expected release date. It is unhelpful to state coming soon or any such language because it is vague and results in demoralizing speculation.

Some would say it is free software so you should just shut up and be grateful for when it is released. This attitude is not helpful; though, it is free you are trying to build a brand. Even if your product is the best there is (which Emby definitely is); you do not want to tarnish the reputation of your brand, by appearing unprofessional. I agree patience is required but to engender patience it is better to have a clear road map, which can be revised if circumstances change.

Nail on the Head.

The time it takes to write up the roadmap would take away from actual development time. The build takes testing, and apparently testers have been told it is okay to leak teasers. This means its closer than ever. The delays are so that upon release tiny details are not pointed out that are lacking. So give them time to polish it and fill in the gaps imo.

I would rather the team spent time and money in the right spots by working on code. Roadmaps while nice, keep you focused, actually detract by slowing things down. So knowing its imminent is enough for me. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

justpig

I agree that there could be time lost whilst writing a road map but this does not have to be if there are team members who can project manage, who are not necessarily part of the coding team. The point to remember also is that the release is not for the developers or testers but for your consumer. Therefore, the developers may feel some constraints at times but ultimately you are building a brand and it is imperative that your customers have a good experience. This wil then translate into goodwill and word of mouth recommendations, which can only be a good thing for the community at large.

TheShanMan

Doesn't seem worth it to me. There is nothing unprofessional about making it available "when it's ready", nor does that tarnish the image except with a portion of the forum users, which are probably a very small minority of the user base/audience. Just my opinion, and I'm a guy who checks the forum daily on average hoping for news on this.

stuclark

The thing is, people are being impatient about this release because they're really looking forward to it / because they really want it.

I'm in the same boat, I'm desperate to try the new version out!

The reason for this, at least from my perspective, is because I use MBT as my main client on everything, and the few foibles of the old version are sometimes annoying, but not enough to make me use anything else. What I want then is a completely kick arse product that does everything I'll ever need for an HTPC appliance.

So, while I'm being impatient, I also understand the need to make the beta release as stable as sensibly possible, while including as many features as sensibly possible, while also trying to such to the timeframe that's being pushed by so many of us "fan-bys".

Having said all that I'll not quite sure how to finish this post, other than to say that I think we all owe Luke and all the other developers quite a few beers for making Emby what it is today!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

DigiTM

I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to Kodi and hello to Theatre.  Kodi has been a bit of a pain in that it sometimes doesn't handshake audio to my receiver with bitstreaming.

Glyde62

I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to Kodi and hello to Theatre. Kodi has been a bit of a pain in that it sometimes doesn't handshake audio to my receiver with bitstreaming.

Yeah hopefully it will be worth changing from kodi for

mellomade

Its still "this week" until 11:59pm EST Saturday :).

That sounds vaguely like a hint.

I don't even use Windows or Emby Theater and I can't wait to see this thing! :D

But seriously - I think many people's discontent is caused by all this 'your gonna love it' or 'it will be out this week (syke!!!)' comments.  We are all eager for new stuff but the constant promising and goading is not helping people be patient.

SHSPVR
mellomade, on 08 Jan 2016 - 7:56 PM, said:

I don't even use Windows or Emby Theater and I can't wait to see this thing! :D

But seriously - I think many people's discontent is caused by all this 'your gonna love it' or 'it will be out this week (syke!!!)' comments.  We are all eager for new stuff but the constant promising and goading is not helping people be patient.

well shame on you as you don't what miss out on :lol:

Xzener

not quite sure how to finish this post, other than to say that I think we all owe Luke and all the other developers quite a few beers for making Emby what it is today!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the testers and fan artists! I could use another beer. ;) Edited by Xzener
  • Like 1

Steven

Another nice feature to mention is you will now (well, soon ;) ) be able to navigate ET with your 360/gamepad. :)

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

cshaun

I don't think anyone disagrees.

I'm sure the dev's mean well. But they're building hype and expectation, and not delivering. Going to result in a bit of disappointment.

As we all know deadlines almost always slip with software development. Hence the common "when it's done" mantra, and never committing on a date (especially game developers).

Hopefully lesson learnt.

Anyway really looking forward to it.