Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

Jasin

I'm designing an app in 960x540 resolution

That's interesting, I didn't know that was the resolution samsung had. I see they support 1280x720 for newer ones but you need a seperate application, seems like a bad limit on Samsungs side. Anyways I wanted to say I am happy with the app, we actually have issues using the Plex app on the TV and when we switch to the Media Browser it works great. So thank you for the work. I'd love to help but I only know .Net.

As far as what I would like to see in the space. Title information, play time, Resolution, time when ends?

chessdragon136

Yeah D series and most E series support 960x540, F can support 1280x720 and H now has 1920x1080 - It's not actually that straight cut but basically I have to design to the smallets to support all :( 

As for this portrait view i'm not sure if the view works with episodes, mainly as most episodes don't have posters, only backdrops, and it looks very weird if all you see is the same season poster repeated 16 times... So I think portrait view will only be for Series list and Movie List view. Discuss :D 

@@chessdragon136 so far, is it possible to keep an option in the settings as "Prefer Posters: True/False" so we can experience that look, and let's fine tune it in further updates, on the other hand, any progress for DVD-RIP playback?

Regards;

DaN

CBers

Any chance of adding an option to mark a video watched and/or unwatched please?

chessdragon136

Note: Do NOT upgrade to this version unless you are willing to test some GUI bugs / settings bugs and be prepared to take pictures and upload them to me

This is even more important as I have lost the latest build due to my stupidity. I've tested this as much as I can but I'm only 1 person. 

v0.480 is available for download at the usual location:

• Poster mode is in, enabled by default, can be disabled in options on a per user basis - Not 100% but its in! Screeny below
  • Skip TV Show Page - An option in the settings, disabled by default, which allows skipping of the TV show page when there is only 1 season, and thus takes you direct to episodes. A life saver for a lot of anime people!

There's also a lot of background stuff in this - Settings have been completely re-written to add more resiliency when adding new settings. 

A lot of CSS changes are also in, so the layouts may all be messed up. Please take any pictures of anything odd. 

53ca52f2e2c90_Capture.png

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 3

MoanyMark

Hi guys I'm all new to this just moving over from plex and I see and got last night the smart TV app working ... Works very well apart from there is no posters where the movies should be like on my iPad e.g . I see the pic of v0.480 and it looks like you have them working now ? How can I test that out as you put download from the usual place sorry to ask but where would that be ? How I got this working was by butting the ip number into my Samsung TV do I do the same ?

Thanks for your help ..

chessdragon136

Hi guys I'm all new to this just moving over from plex and I see and got last night the smart TV app working ... Works very well apart from there is no posters where the movies should be like on my iPad e.g . I see the pic of v0.480 and it looks like you have them working now ? How can I test that out as you put download from the usual place sorry to ask but where would that be ? How I got this working was by butting the ip number into my Samsung TV do I do the same ?

Thanks for your help ..

To update the app you do exactly the same as you did to install it - remember to uninstall the app first. Since you haven't stated which tv you have i can't help you but basically log in as developer, delete the app, set the IP to the ip on the first page and then syncronise again.

I hope that answers your question enough :)

All

Image playback is broken - My bad, I'm working on some modifications and broke it - will get it fixed in a few hours or so

CBers

To update the app you do exactly the same as you did to install it - remember to uninstall the app first

@@chessdragon136 - why do you say to uninstall first? I have never done that.

chessdragon136

Good habit really - My old D series installs over the top and doesn't remove the settings file, where as newer tv's uninstall the old version from what I've seen

chessdragon136

Ok Image playback is working - not bothered to update the version number - Just update again now :)

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

Jasin

As for this portrait view i'm not sure if the view works with episodes, mainly as most episodes don't have posters, only backdrops

All my TV shows have an episode thumbnail which is a preview over the backdrop.

I like this type of view http://www.digital-digest.com/software/images/Plex_Media%29Center_imgTvArrested-w900.jpg

but you can display a portrait type style with the episode thumbnails instead of the poster http://www.everythingicafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tv-episodes.jpg

Edited by Jasin

chessdragon136

@@Jasin - The Episodes page has needed changing for a while and the portrait mode has led me to a similar design I've just knocked up in 30 mins

Discuss... (Obviously not a complete work)

53cb8c441b4fb_Capture.png

Edited by chessdragon136

I'm thinking how the current views are not rich with Metadata, for example, the following are 3 different views of one movie from 3 different perspectives, library view, movie view, and performer view:

dabevy8e.jpg

apevehyt.jpg

nuha8ubu.jpg

These 3 views are preferred to have different Metadata contents, or at least of different layout, what do you think?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Killervette

I noticed that it won't show everything in my folder. The show doesn't have any meta data, but shows in the pc version of mbc. It won't show in the smart tv app.

chessdragon136

I noticed that it won't show everything in my folder. The show doesn't have any meta data, but shows in the pc version of mbc. It won't show in the smart tv app.

Sorry but can you please clarify on that - Not showing everything?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the views frankly are not complete - In truth I don't know what to show on each view. Cast I want it to be person specific but does MB3 pull down much person info? Just not looked into it. Portrait mode I only just made 24 hours ago, give me a break :P But for me I see the main Episode / Movie page simply as an extension of the library view, giving the users options for chapters, cast, suggestions... Remember you can play the files from the library using the play button. So those two pages will end up being similar in what is displayed,... Just not there yet, although the basic layouts will stay the same. Uniformity is a plus

On the plus side once some server side elements make it to the release build there will be subtitle support and much higher res images in the image player (1920x1080 instead of 960x540) Manually selecting BitRate playback is soon as well as is bitrate based on connection type. GUI should now be a bit more uniformed in the CSS over all the tv models and I have some basic auto scrolling support for texts. Folder rips are in the works and being tested although a re-adjustment of my transcoding algorithms are in need. And collections are being re-worked as I need the space from the menu.. 

And the views frankly are not complete - In truth I don't know what to show on each view. Cast I want it to be person specific but does MB3 pull down much person info? Just not looked into it. Portrait mode I only just made 24 hours ago, give me a break :P

It's only sharing thoughts about the current views, no rush at all, looking at other MB3 clients and how they utilize Metadata just raised that in my mind, an example, have a look at the same 3 views in MBC

5etazapa.jpg

6yterydy.jpg

ga6aqaga.jpg

It's not about the looks, so summary view will give a hint about the movie like rating, genres, studio, playtime. And other is detailed to show synopsis besides more information like cast, scenes. And MB3 fetches actor /actress biography data, that's available of click on a performer image on server side.

Edited by DaN

c0m3r

Liking the new poster view, looks much better in my opinion. Would it be possible to centralize the title and synopsis? Looks a little strange to me on the left. As for what else could be shown, how about run time and quality icons e.g. 720P, 1080P, 4K etc? Also, is it possible to allow for horizontal scrolling instead of vertical? I know its not a major thing I just think it would be more in line with how other clients seem to do it. 

EDIT: Quick mock up on paint  :P  Icons could go where the squares are at the bottom and the runtime next to the rating etc under the title. I would also move the rating to one of the boxes at the bottom as well.

53ca52f2e2c90_Capture.png

Edited by c0m3r
  • Like 2

chessdragon136

Can someone please find me some suitable open source icons and I'll happily implement them - Im not an artist and can't make my own.

Jasin

I'm not home but I use iconfinder.com you can sort by license type and they have some very useful images

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Also note that, Studio images are part of ImagesByName, same as artist and people images

Jasin

@@Jasin - The Episodes page has needed changing for a while and the portrait mode has led me to a similar design I've just knocked up in 30 mins

Discuss... (Obviously not a complete work)

I like it. Easy to see all and navigate. Check box on episodes already watched or dimmed would be useful too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

chessdragon136

Ok this is the final design for the library view: Don't want to clutter this with images too much - All additional info will be on the main item page, though i think the below gives enough

Text scrolls too, hence the screenshot cutting some text. Movies won't have an episode count (obviously) 

53cc1817330eb_Capture.png

• Like 1