Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

CBers

I think that will work once the client is able to play a transposed stream, right now it's direct play, correct @@chessdragon136?

DaN

using Tapatalk

I hope it stays direct and only transcodes in special circumstances.

• Like 2

I hope it stays direct and only transcodes in special circumstances.

Yes, transcode when file is not supported

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

• Like 1

c0m3r

Would it be possible to add the option to show items with covers instead of landscape images i.e. show the folder.jpg. I prefer to see the covers of the movies rather than the backdrop as the initial image and would also allow more movies per line. When you have a large collection it can be a bit of a chore scrolling throught them all. Thanks

• Like 1

Would it be possible to add the option to show items with covers instead of landscape images i.e. show the folder.jpg. I prefer to see the covers of the movies rather than the backdrop as the initial image and would also allow more movies per line. When you have a large collection it can be a bit of a chore scrolling throught them all. Thanks

+1 for media folders, when going to a content (Movies, TV, videos, etc) items to appear with folder image rather than backdrop.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

chessdragon136

Transcoding has been in the app for a while now, but there is no profile for folder rips...I don't have any in my library to test with.Can someone provide a test files please?

As for covers, the entire gui is written for landscape viewing (as tv's are landscape it makes the best of the space.. to change that to be optional is some lengthy work... Is possible though. It will likely be 6-8 items across by 2 down. so it wouldn't show much more than the current view... Also in a portrait view i don't know how to display the names, as even in landscape long names get cut off.

I'll try mock something up soon..

• Like 1

chessdragon136

If you have any small ones I could do with them being uploaded somewhere so i can play

If not can you go to the following url: SERVER/mediabrowser/Users/USERID/Items/ITEMID

and share the results please... You've done this before i think so i wont explain again - its in the thread somewhere.

If you have any small ones I could do with them being uploaded somewhere so i can play

If not can you go to the following url: SERVER/mediabrowser/Users/USERID/Items/ITEMID

and share the results please... You've done this before i think so i wont explain again - its in the thread somewhere.

Results were sent

Ok proof of concept for portrait images -> Either 8x3 with no title and quite small images or 8x2 which is slightly larger and with the menu title?

And do i keep the name bar on each image (i could move it to the space at the bottom between the count and version number but i don't like that as its not uniform to the rest of the GUI?)

53c80e41de123_Capture.png

I think the current library view should be utilized in a better way, maybe having a scrolling overlayed movie titles will help in the above design, but overall, the library view can be revamped to show bigger title names with rating, studio logo, synopsis, etc

chessdragon136

I think the current library view should be utilized in a better way, maybe having a scrolling overlayed movie titles will help in the above design, but overall, the library view can be revamped to show bigger title names with rating, studio logo, synopsis, etc

I don't know what you mean in the latter part at all...

let's say the above suggested view sets in the center part of screen; the upper part shows title along with content rating, and studio image; the bottom part of the screen displays the movie tags and a scrolling synopsis of the movie.  

chessdragon136

let's say the above suggested view sets in the center part of screen; the upper part shows title along with content rating, and studio image; the bottom part of the screen displays the movie tags and a scrolling synopsis of the movie.  

But isn't all that info meant to be shown on the item's main page (Episode page, Movie Page), not on the selection page? 

I thought the main argument for portrait views is to get more items on a page, and to do that i need to show little other information...

you're right; it was just a suggestion to better show the shortened movie titles  B) you may consider a scrolling overlayed titles; is it possible?

But isn't all that info meant to be shown on the item's main page (Episode page, Movie Page), not on the selection page? 

I thought the main argument for portrait views is to get more items on a page, and to do that i need to show little other information...

It depends. Do you want your app to look like a big, clunky old school htpc app, or do you want a more modernized, refined and easier to use presentation like what we're seeing on devices like android tv and fire tv.

chessdragon136

I'm not trying to change opinions, its just getting the balance right - the scrolling title text should be do-able if i can work out how. The overlay like in the web interface is a no though Theres just not enough space to put anything useful there. The green unplayed count shows just how little i could do :(

chessdragon136

It depends. Do you want your app to look like a big, clunky old school htpc app, or do you want a more modernized, refined and easier to use presentation like what we're seeing on devices like android tv and fire tv.

I'm designing an app in 960x540 resolution - if you can get all that info in with only pure javascript (no jquery) then I welcome it (Actually no I don't, you've already done that with replacing the Roku app - hmm..) . Besides look at my screenshot and you'll see that i can get about 15 characters across in that view - what useful info can i put in that? 

Dont give the whole modern look speech, its bull.. Functionalty wins over looks and damn day of the week! And when I've given soo many hours only for my app to be called big clunky and old school you can actually go **** yourself - Hell my app had loads of features before the web and other interfaces have - my music playback is better than most apps, plays in background, queue insttant mix playlists all there. Configurable homescreen before your web interface...  Oh and my pictures slideshow while music playing in the background is just epic. 

Actually just had a look at the Roku app, given that too operates on TV, and quite frankly thats all square boxes too... 

I truly hope you respect me enough to not delete this.

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 3

chessdragon136

Ok proof of concept for portrait images -> Either 8x3 with no title and quite small images or 8x2 which is slightly larger and with the menu title?

And do i keep the name bar on each image (i could move it to the space at the bottom between the count and version number but i don't like that as its not uniform to the rest of the GUI?)

53c80e41de123_Capture.png

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

If I'd add some inputs here; I'd say looks and functionality can be bundled together; experience rules which comes first; I really appreciate what @@chessdragon136 has done so far improving and empowering this client; and when time comes to better look; that's the time when most of the bigger fishes are fried  :)

Edited by DaN

CBers

Totally agree.

Functionality is always the most important aspect of an app.

Looks can come later.

I use the app EVERY day. Yes some things need adding, but at the end of the day, all you really need, is a synopsis and playback.

This app delivers that and more, with more to come.

Thanks @@chessdragon136 :)

Edited by CBers

c0m3r

I would say that 8x2 with larger images would look great (this is what MBT shows in poster wall view) with the title name underneath. This will make the UI look a little cleaner in my opinion and will remove the issue of long names not showing properly when the title name is on the cover as it is now. This would also leave room to add things such as title artwork in the future with other media titles such as quality, running time etc as is shown in MBT. The other option would be to add both and let the user decide which view suits their collection best. Even in 8x3 though, I would still recommend having the title name at the bottom of the screen.

I also agree with what is said above that function over form is better at this point in the apps development. Are there improvements that can be made? Yes ofcourse, but is that not the point of an alpha?

• Like 2

chessdragon136

Ok apologies to fans for yesterday, though i still feel like i needed to say that.So without further comments please lets move on

@@c0m3r -> I think i can see what you have in mind - something like the below (I like this a lot!)

Obviously not finished but what metadata would you like to see in the blank space? I've also removed titles and overlays as i think it ruins the images and the data will be shown in the bottom anyway.

53c97eb8d3631_Capture.png

• Like 3

CBers

Ok apologies to fans for yesterday, though i still feel like i needed to say that.So without further comments please lets move on

No apologies necessary. Things need to be said sometimes.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by CBers

andymcm

Been a lurker on this thread since it started, it was actually this app that brought me to using MediaBrowser and away from old DNLA, am now a massive convert to MediaBrowser and using as much functionality as I can in it.

@chessdragon136 I use this every day as well and just wanted to say a massive thanks to all the hard work you are putting into the App.

And got to add that I think it looks great, functionality over looks!!!

• Like 3