Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

chessdragon136

Will see what I can do. Are you wanting to stick with the current setup of a menu on the left or something completely new?

Any designs :)  - make a couple if you can and we can go from there.

Taomyn

Hi,

I have just set up Mediabrowser on my server and thought I would give this app a whirl on my Samsung UE60D8000 - the app has installed, v0.484, and I have connected to my server but after that all I see is a large grey and rather empty screen:

53d5524b534ef_IMG_20140727_211656.jpg

53d5525f4ea17_IMG_20140727_211726.jpg

Do I need to set up anything special on the server in order for it to see content? I wasn't able to find any mention of such a requirement within this rather long thread.

Cheers,

Taomyn

Edited by Taomyn

c0m3r

Just thought I would post a quick pic of the direction I would personally take the design. Just mocked this up quickly so bear with me. Started with the season view (as its the easiest) and gone for a simple look. Dont think there needs to be much here as by the time you get to this page you will already have seen the series page with the synopsis etc. Left the covers in a grey outline as wasnt sure if this was a limitation of the app or a design you put in chess? If not then could remove the grey outline on the non-selected items and leave only the green for currently selected. Also plan to add in a unwatched overlay count and a couple other bits and bobs but thought would show where my thinking is. Wasnt sure if it would be necessary to have any text regarding season selected so did one with and one without. What you think?

67qe6r.png

2duf0xx.png

• Like 2

c0m3r

Just to add, if you did want some detail in there, it would be pretty easy to move the 'Season 1' up and add a bit of scrolling detail in there. Could then use the season level metadata as well to prevent there being a lot of repetition between views as you mentioned earlier in the thread. Will do a mock up of that as well when I can.

chessdragon136

@@Taomyn

That should be the users screen where you select a user.. Seems like it's not finding any - Do you have at least 1 public user? 

If not i need to debug and that will be in 24 hours (sleep -> work ->debug!

@@c0m3r

Design is nice except 1 thing that i have issue with. Background images with text on them becomes difficult to read. Any thoughts?

And yes the text would be required for seasons with no images or those which dont conveniently say season 1

And the selector is red, not green ;) Tho what is the html code for that green?

Edited by chessdragon136

Taomyn

@@Taomyn

That should be the users screen where you select a user.. Seems like it's not finding any - Do you have at least 1 public user? 

If not i need to debug and that will be in 24 hours (sleep -> work ->debug!

Yes is my answer, I created a user called mediabrowser, however in checking it out I noticed in advanced it was set as hidden. Unchecked that option and voila, I can get further. I'll play some more and report anything I find. Many thanks.

c0m3r

Yeh I had thought of the text issue which is why my preference was to have no text at all. For the other views where text is necessary, I had planned a fade to black near the bottom so I guess could do the same here. I just thought it would be good for artwork to take precedence in this particular view as I think most people would take no notice of the text anyway. What you think?

As for the HTML code, I have no idea. I literally did the border on paint in 5 seconds  :lol:

c0m3r

Quick look and code is #2EFE64

Edited by c0m3r

Yeh I had thought of the text issue which is why my preference was to have no text at all. For the other views where text is necessary, I had planned a fade to black near the bottom so I guess could do the same here. I just thought it would be good for artwork to take precedence in this particular view as I think most people would take no notice of the text anyway. What you think?

As for the HTML code, I have no idea. I literally did the border on paint in 5 seconds :lol:

Any plans to include logos: studio (for Movies)/ network (for TV shows) and parental ratings in design, ImagesByName can enrich this.

DaN

c0m3r

Any plans to include logos: studio (for Movies)/ network (for TV shows) and parental ratings in design, ImagesByName can enrich this.

DaN

I would like to add them however the issue is the lack of space due to resolution limits as chess advised previously. On the screens I posted above it appears there is plenty of free space however, for the series with 6+ seasons, the room is quickly filled unless you implement horizontal scrolling of titles (which would be my preference anyway). The only way I can think to add that sort of info and graphics is to add a page before the season level page, similar to how it is done in Theatre. This would then allow the addition of other features such as similar series, a longer description and studio info etc. I plan to do a mock up of all of this so that we can see how each screen might look. The only issue I can see some people having is that this adds a further screen you have to go through to access your media. Any thoughts?

You're right, there always TV show information that's generic above the season details, so I guess they're 2 pages, the same how it's implemented in plex, as per the below samples, with horizontal scrolling, even vertical library scrolling shouldn't occupy the whole screen, and leave useful space metadata, logos, and key legend (which is only viewable by pressing info button):

4a9edava.jpg

bydyqu5u.jpg

Movies and other media contents can get benefit of that

unu5ema5.jpg

DaN

• Like 1

c0m3r

I will put together a couple of ideas and then leave it to chess to decide what he wants to do. I'm sure he will have his own ideas on how he wants the app to look. I do think the plex app looks a little cluttered though so think we need a balance of what to show and what not to show.

chessdragon136

@@c0m3r - Thank you!

I got bored and made this - you see the problem - I don't know the solution

53d69db72f65e_Capture.png

Edited by chessdragon136

chessdragon136

To sum it up - you need to choose whether the backdrop or the info on it is the main eye catching element - if backdrop you want very little on the page, if info, then you need an almost white plain backdrop - people tend to design for one backdrop (the ios redesign conveniently uses a darker backdrop, c0m3r has too) but it doesn't always work...

To sum it up - you need to choose whether the backdrop or the info on it is the main eye catching element - if backdrop you want very little on the page, if info, then you need an almost white plain backdrop - people tend to design for one backdrop (the ios redesign conveniently uses a darker backdrop, c0m3r has too) but it doesn't always work...

I think you need dark transparent text boxes for info that comes on top of the backdrop

DaN

chessdragon136

Ok I may have resolved it slightly by not using my grey transparent and using a black one - keeps higher transparency but means text on front is more readable

• Like 2

c0m3r

I would say the dark backdrop is the way to go (cant show it on the software I have here unfortunately). The other clients are using it and it works perfectly will in MBT. Without the artwork the app just doesnt have the same quality feel I think. In terms of buttons, I came up with the below idea to make them stand out a bit from standard text. The idea behind this screen is that it would sit between the TV Series screen and the seasons screen so can make the most of the available space without it being taken up by coverart. MBT uses a similar idea to display the info. Now on this screen you could possibly make the backdrop even darker so that the text is easier to read than on the other views as well as making the text itself oversized.

4in31u.png

Edited by c0m3r
  • Like 1

chessdragon136

@@c0m3r - ok i get this.. Can you please redesign without the convenient logo in the top left - what if my backdrop (like 95%) don't have the logo there? Or do you just do way with the text series name and hope one of the images shows it?

c0m3r

The logo was added as I was hoping we could use the clearart logo there, it isnt part of the backdrop so to speak?

chessdragon136

Problem is what is the fallout situation- again i for one have no clearart logos and i don't download metadata from the net..

Edited by chessdragon136

chessdragon136

Basically I think the only images which should be relied on that most people have are backdrop and posters - my opinion but when you go beyond that less and less people have them

c0m3r

I would expect that the vast majority will though, especially as the server has the capability to download them for you. The other option I think is to have nothing and simply increase the size of the cover I placed there as that has the series name most of the time?

• Like 1

CBers

Basically I think the only images which should be relied on that most people have are backdrop and posters - my opinion but when you go beyond that less and less people have them

Couldn't you have (another) option to show ClearArt images or not ??

I would expect that the vast majority will though, especially as the server has the capability to download them for you. The other option I think is to have nothing and simply increase the size of the cover I placed there as that has the series name most of the time?

Agree.

c0m3r

Or could use clearart but have it so that if image isnt present it displays the title in standard text. This is what MBT does.

c0m3r

Little update with a few other touches and possible location for text. Opinions?

14juatj.png

• Like 2