Join Our Translation Team

ScottIsAFool

For many years, due to the nature of my work, I have done translations for web and mobile applications projects, by myself, and also in cooperation with some communities over the years. This type of translation uses a very technical language with which we must be careful, because the strings often do not correspond to the original text.

In addition, I have done a lot of subtitles of films for communities like subdivx and opensubtitles dot org, of which I am an active member for about three or four years approximately (I do not remember exactly).

In my translations, I use neutral English to avoid precisely that annoyance due to accents in the communities, and that is the topic we are talking about here today.

The Spanish language is a language very rich in terms, and it has many variations depending on the country in which you live, for that reason I prefer neutral Spanish in my translations, in this case, Spanish US.

The population of Spain (46 millions) does not even reach 10% of the total Latin American population. I quote: "As of 2016, Latin America was estimated at more than 639 million and in 2014", so I think it is important to have the neutral option (without idioms). US

Some work I have done with poedit (for web mainly). I use the Subtitle Edit program for subtitles. I have done other works on web platforms of communities specialized in projects such as Emby.

If you wish, I can take the translation base that already exists in Spanish and work it for a neutral Spanish version (US), however, it would be from next week, as I should finish other projects this week.

Let me know.

Regards.

The three more important spanish variations are Spanish (US), Spanish (MX) and Spanish (ES).

Great, thanks ! I think all of the projects on onesky should have these already. If any are missing, please let us know. thanks !

Richard Branches

Great, thanks ! I think all of the projects on onesky should have these already. If any are missing, please let us know. thanks !

Spanish (US) is still missing and it's the one I've been requesting months before, however, one of you guys said to have copied the translations from the other variations to create it but I still don't see it listed at onesky.

Spanish (US) is still missing and it's the one I've been requesting months before, however, one of you guys said to have copied the translations from the other variations to create it but I still don't see it listed at onesky.

I just manually copied the mx version for the TV app.  What are the differences between us and mx?

I just manually copied the mx version for the TV app.  What are the differences between us and mx?

OMG, really?

Read #589, please, there's an explanation there.

If this is the actitude of the staff don't count with me.

-_-

Edited by HRSCR

Richard Branches

And that's the reason why my phone is not displaying the translation :mellow: , that's why you must add Spanish (US).

Richard Branches

The differences are minimal but that's not the problem, the problem is if the phone comes with only one variation like Spanish (US), at the moment a user open the Emby app, it will display only English (US) because the app was unable to find a translation for that variation and the Emby app will never try to use other variations of the same language either.

OMG, really?

Read #589, please, there's an explanation there.

If this is the actitude of the staff don't count with me.

-_-

He's just asking because he doesn't know. If this translation is important to you guys then we'll accommodate it.

He's just asking because he doesn't know. If this translation is important to you guys then we'll accommodate it.

That is why i write an advance explanation

The Spanish language is a language very rich in terms, and it has many variations depending on the country in which you live, for that reason I prefer neutral Spanish in my translations, in this case, Spanish US.

The population of Spain (46 millions) does not even reach 10% of the total Latin American population. I quote: "As of 2016, Latin America was estimated at more than 639 million and in 2014", so I think it is important to have the neutral option (without idioms). US
Edited by HRSCR

I don't see the problem in ebr copiyng es-mx to es-us as a starting point. Now you can go and edit es-us to "neutralize" the translation, is better than starting from zero. As Smarky said as long as is someone willing to maintain the translation is worth of having it, that's how mainly Smarky, i and a couple of others user get es-mx to completion in almost all platforms. I just passed the last 3 days adding es-mx to all my movies in theMovieDB.

And that's the reason why my phone is not displaying the translation :mellow: , that's why you must add Spanish (US).

But it currently works in the TV app, correct?

Richard Branches

At Onesky, with the Android app translations for example, there is Español, Español (España), Español (México) and Español (Colombia), I live in Colombia but I rather you change that one with Español (Estados Unidos), that is, rename it, while keeping its content.

I think it is all about community. I think having Spanish (US) available on all platforms might be a good starting point. Copying the contents into it from any of the available variations may be helpful to reduce the time to have Spanish (US) for anyone looking for forking into another variations (like Spanish (AR), Spanish (CO), or any other)... that would save a lot of time to the volunteers to star with a pretty good "sanitized" version and then to keep it from there... the same approach may be applied to French, German and other languages. It is always great to have one translation that feels natural to our family members and friends!

You can't actually name the languages on onesky, rather you pick them from a standardized list. There is no Spanish (US). These are the available Spanish options:

5b93348c03742_Untitled.png

How do you suggest we proceed?

Richard Branches

You can't actually name the languages on onesky, rather you pick them from a standardized list. There is no Spanish (US). These are the available Spanish options:

How do you suggest we proceed?

Can you or us ask to onesky to add the missing variation? is it possible?

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

It looks like their only feature request mechanism might be emailing 

support@oneskyapp.com

Good!, so I suggest everyone of us interested, to send them an email requesting to add the missing variation, the more, the merrier.

Good!, so I suggest everyone of us interested, to send them an email requesting to add the missing variation, the more, the merrier.

Sent!

I've got response from OneSky:

Hi Fedro,

Thank you for reaching out.

I suggest to have the project admin contact me with project number and organisation email and I can take a further look.

We do have both Spanish (United States) and Spanish (Latin America) options for most project types but the admin will need to enable it in the language setting.

Best regards,

Mako R.

So it seems someone that has admin privileges should ask for this.

Richard Branches

I've got response from OneSky:

Hi Fedro,

Thank you for reaching out.

I suggest to have the project admin contact me with project number and organisation email and I can take a further look.

We do have both Spanish (United States) and Spanish (Latin America) options for most project types but the admin will need to enable it in the language setting.

Best regards,

Mako R.

So it seems someone that has admin privileges should ask for this.

I haven't received a response yet but I guess they will ask me the same, however, you requested to add Spanish (Latin America) and that variation doesn't exist, it is only Spanish (United States), just to clarify.

Richard Branches

I've added Spanish (US) to all our projects on OneSky.

Thanks!

Thank you sooo much!, one last question though, how much time does it take to appear at onesky? I still don't see it...