Join Our Translation Team

ScottIsAFool

Richard Branches

Thanks for your work, in that case, are you using neutral spanish? or your are using castillian terms like "ordenador"?

Thank you

I've tried to use neutral spanish, I haven't used the term "ordenador", that's so castilian and you know how we hate their terminologies and accent  :D  :P , besides, looks like no castilian people touched their own language version, I haven't seen any of their terminology though.

• Like 1

Mibok

I've been translating to Mexican Spanish since the very beginning of the translation project in most of the time having the translation up to date in a few hours after the release of the new phrases.

Personally I don't see the problem in having multiple versions since it's a community project. Although i try to use the more neutral Spanish that I can understand that there are some expressions that are rather unique for my country, so i don't see the need to wipe out all the community efforts to impose your own taste of "neutral" Spanish (if such thing exist) whatever side you are either Castilian or any Latin American country.

As for the android example i personally use es-Us when es-Mx is unavailable due to that in most cases is closer to what i'm used to, specially for the anglosismos (English word adopted in Spanish) that are more used in Latin American regions than in Spain.

So let's not bring here that typical hate and disputes so common in youtube in dubbing discussions, when everyone can have their own version easily.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 4A mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Riggs

I've been translating to Mexican Spanish since the very beginning of the translation project in most of the time having the translation up to date in a few hours after the release of the new phrases.

Personally I don't see the problem in having multiple versions since it's a community project. Although i try to use the more neutral Spanish that I can understand that there are some expressions that are rather unique for my country, so i don't see the need to wipe out all the community efforts to impose your own taste of "neutral" Spanish (if such thing exist) whatever side you are either Castilian or any Latin American country.

As for the android example i personally use es-Us when es-Mx is unavailable due to that in most cases is closer to what i'm used to, specially for the anglosismos (English word adopted in Spanish) that are more used in Latin American regions than in Spain.

So let's not bring here that typical hate and disputes so common in youtube in dubbing discussions, when everyone can have their own version easily.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 4A mediante Tapatalk

I agree with your country points for cultural keeps.

However how Latin American people we need to go neutral to be more stronger, that's why i ask for neutral. And yes, "neutral" is valid many years ago means no modisms. Saddly it apply to "es-us"

Richard Branches

Translating from one language to another doesn't mean to only use Google Translate or any other online translation tool to copy and paste the result, it also involves to use equivalences to reach a more neutral and natural translation to be able to understand better what the app is trying to indicate, for example, the expression "Latest Movies" was translated by someone as "Últimos Peliculas", which reflects a literal translation and not an "equivalence", so I changed it to "Lo Último en Películas" because it better reflects the way we could say that in Spanish, regardless of the localization. I found several bad translations I had to rectify.

I hate when TV channels in Latinoamerica translate and show in subtitles the word "exited" as exitado(a) when the correct translation is "emocionado(a), as of the year 2018 they are still doing it!

Edited by delacosta78

Riggs

Translating from one language to another doesn't mean to only use Google Translate or any other online translation tool to copy and paste the result, it also involves to use equivalences to reach a more neutral and natural translation to be able to understand better what the app is trying to indicate, for example, the expression "Latest Movies" was translated by someone as "Últimos Peliculas", which reflects a literal translation and not an "equivalence", so I changed it to "Lo Último en Películas" because it better reflects the way we could say that in Spanish, regardless of the localization. I found several bad translations I had to rectify.

I hate when TV channels in Latinoamerica translate and show in subtitles the word "exited" as exitado(a) when the correct translation is "emocionado(a), as of the year 2018 they are still doing it!

Oh man.... google translate.. seriously? 

For your records. Many subtitle translations are wrong, even the originals from the blu-ray's, nevermind if they are made it in Spain or Latin America, that's no new, at all. This happends a lot with bad words/expresions like "son of b...", wich means, "hijo de p" but they use cabrón, diablos, maldito/a etc..... 

BTW in LAT. Most of the subtitles are old versions taken from DVD's and aired for the Latin American Cable network companies, wich transmit the same content for all Latin America (from Argentina to Mexico)... and... that's not the point here.

For APPs, the translation works different, in many ways, it use more technical words that needs to be translated how they are.

Example: Library --- Biblioteca    (nunca librería en el caso de Emby).

Many of my study books (almost all) are written in english, and I'm in this "computer/programming/geek world"  since early 90's.

For your example, the correct translation is: "Últimas Películas"  y no ultimOs porque es femenino. Tampoco es correcto "Lo último en películas".
Edited by HRSCR

Richard Branches

For your example, the correct translation is: "Últimas Películas"  y no ultimOs porque es femenino. Tampoco es correcto "Lo último en películas".

Lo que sucede es que "Latest" es una palabra que va junto a la sintaxis o caracter %s  que representa al nombre de la librería o biblioteca que el usuario crea y no se puede poner Últimas y Últimos según si es femenino o masculino por eso tuve que colocarlo así para que se "oyera" o "leyera" mejor, por eso hay que usar equivalencias, "Lo Último en Películas" suena mejor que "Últimos Películas" o "Últimos en Películas", mira el screenshot:

5b709755c976a_latest.png

Si yo por ejemplo creo las siguientes bibliotecas:

Películas

Series

Música

Fotos

Mis Películas

Mis Series

Mis Fotos

Programas de TV

Series de TV

Todas ellas suenan bien con la expresion "Lo Último en". Esto es lo que aparece en la pantalla principal de Emby, cuando se agrega contenido nuevo y que no se haya reproducido nunca, porque a medida que lo vas reproduciendo se va eliminando de esa pantalla.

Edited by delacosta78
  • Like 1

Riggs

Te entiendo, pero el contexto es hacia el usuario, y respecto a lo que el usuario admin agregó nuevo al server.

Yo le quitaría "Lo" ; para mejorarlo con respecto a cantidad de palabras. Recordá que el espacio es importante tanto para web como para las APPS.

L-a-t-e-s-t- (12 espacios)

N-u-e-v-o--e-n- (15 espacios)

Ú-l-t-i-m-o--en- (16 espacios)

L-o--Ú-l-t-i-m-o--e-n-     <--- este puede quedar largo en pantallas angostas (22 espacios)

• Like 1

Richard Branches

Te entiendo, pero el contexto es hacia el usuario, y respecto a lo que el usuario admin agregó nuevo al server.

Yo le quitaría "Lo" ; para mejorarlo con respecto a cantidad de palabras. Recordá que el espacio es importante tanto para web como para las APPS.

L-a-t-e-s-t- (12 espacios)

N-u-e-v-o--e-n- (15 espacios)

Ú-l-t-i-m-o--en- (16 espacios)

L-o--Ú-l-t-i-m-o--e-n-     <--- este puede quedar largo en pantallas angostas (22 espacios)

También es recomendable que al usar una equivalencia no se use exclusivamente el significado en español de la palabra en cuestión, por ejemplo se podría poner "Novedad en" o "Lo Nuevo en", la idea es que no suene "raro" o sin sentido conservando también lo que tu comentas sobre el espaciado. Cúal opinas que deberíamos usar en este caso?

Mibok

Wouldn't be better to create a new topic in the Spanish sub forum where you could take this conversation and hopefully there come to a convention to most of those controvertial adaptations. So we don't deviate this topic and stop spamming here with so much comments in Spanish language.

Enviado desde mi Inco Aurora II mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Riggs

También es recomendable que al usar una equivalencia no se use exclusivamente el significado en español de la palabra en cuestión, por ejemplo se podría poner "Novedad en" o "Lo Nuevo en", la idea es que no suene "raro" o sin sentido conservando también lo que tu comentas sobre el espaciado. Cúal opinas que deberíamos usar en este caso?

Without "Lo"

Can be

Reciente en

Nuevo en

Último en

"Lo" gives a sound like advertising to the sentence :D

Riggs

Wouldn't be better to create a new topic in the Spanish sub forum where you could take this conversation and hopefully there come to a convention to most of those controvertial adaptations. So we don't deviate this topic and stop spamming here with so much comments in Spanish language.

Roger that

Richard Branches

That's not necessary, I won't comment anything further, thank you.

Riggs

Is there a consensus?

Well everything was running fine until....

I'm happy to make changes, right now it seems there are differing opinions though so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Richard Branches

I'm happy to make changes, right now it seems there are differing opinions though so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Don't worry, everything is fine, it was nice to discuss this because one word in spanish could mean something completely different depending on the country/region, I guess that apply to every language in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

My take on this is that at some point, it make sense to start forking translations into different countries... this is because variations in language (particularly Spanish) may render a translation to feel "unnatural" and at some extent confusing for some users. Having said that, I'd suggest a new language variation be added upon request of a volunteer to maintain an specific translation. (I have done that personally a few times before). In my case, I enjoy contributing to the "Mexican" translation of several Emby apps and server (together with other users that have joined).

• Like 1

My take on this is that at some point, it make sense to start forking translations into different countries... this is because variations in language (particularly Spanish) may render a translation to feel "unnatural" and at some extent confusing for some users. Having said that, I'd suggest a new language variation be added upon request of a volunteer to maintain an specific translation. (I have done that personally a few times before). In my case, I enjoy contributing to the "Mexican" translation of several Emby apps and server (together with other users that have joined).

I agree

Richard Branches

Which one should we create first?

The three more important spanish variations are Spanish (US), Spanish (MX) and Spanish (ES).

• Like 1

The three more important spanish variations are Spanish (US), Spanish (MX) and Spanish (ES).

It is correct.

Where

US is spanish Neutral, and it works in US, and all LatinAmerican

ES to Spain exclusive (Castillian/traditional)

MX is local México and some zones in Lat. (Taste of the user)

ES to Spain exclusive (Castillian/traditional)

However...

AR for Argentina and Uruguay (mostly)

For cultural knowledge and short explanation to the Staff of the "why's":

There's is a "neverending" debate between AR (Argentina) and MX (México) accents for be the "rule" in LatinAmerican. That's why spanish US neutral works for the 500 millions of latinamerican people without fights.

Regards.

Edited by HRSCR

Agree... as I said, provided there is someone willing to maintain the translation I believe it is worth providing the opportunity to have additional variations. I know no one is an expert but as in the case of Mexico, there have been other joining the translation for my country and we have ended up with a pretty good one.

• Like 1