StLDreiling

linds1234

Just gave this a go for the first time tonight...

Everything crashes for me about 15 seconds in (and I get regular stutters when content is playing), I'm assuming it's the latest version of Emby Theatre as it just updated. This is with Direct plays, don't like the idea of trans coding so didn't try that.

Running the latest version of the Linux Server.

Nice work on the App though, looks good.

Edited by linds1234

FrostByte

Ya, I just updated to 1.1.103.6 and it crashed ~15 seconds into The Dark Knight while DPing

• Like 1

chef

Ya, I just updated to 1.1.103.6 and it crashed ~15 seconds into The Dark Knight while DPing

Darn me too, but it crashes for me while transcoding media too.

Are you guys experiencing that as well?

Edited by chef

FrostByte

Everything of mine does DP or DS (to remux DTS to AC3).  I'll play around with the bitrate and see if I can get it to transcode more and see what it does

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Looks like I can get TDK to play if I force it to transcode.  However, I never had to do that with ET before the Creator's Update and Ember DPs the movie just fine.

• Like 1

kforest2

Yup, that's how's it's been for me since the Creator's update, works when transcoding.

@@Luke knows all this and is able to recreate with the media files provided. I'm sure that once he's got it fixed, he'll tell us when the fixed version is submitted to the Microsoft Store.

FrostByte

Ya, I'm just going to keep testing every new version to let him know in case he pushed a fix (unless he tells me to stop :) ).  Luke probably doesn't always have the time to do release notes every day when there is a new release so really don't know what has been fixed/added some times.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Erik

I have found that if I try and play multiple files from their beginning the app crashes to the Xbox home screen. However, if I start watching a file on another computer (enough to make a resume point) and then try and play on the Xbox Emby app via "resume" they play without crashing.

• Like 1

Dankostanko71

Man why did windows have to update this Xbox One? Everything worked great for the last 5 months! Thanks for your hard work Luke, BAZINGA!

We're working hard on it, thanks guys for your patience. One thing is clear, the competition Microsoft is facing is forcing them to move at a faster pace than I think they're comfortable. I don't recall ever seeing as much instability with MS software as I generally see nowadays.

• Like 2

kforest2

At least not on a stable windows release anyway...I mean, Vista and 8 were crap but were kind of rushed too...lol

techywarrior

We're working hard on it, thanks guys for your patience. One thing is clear, the competition Microsoft is facing is forcing them to move at a faster pace than I think they're comfortable. I don't recall ever seeing as much instability with MS software as I generally see nowadays.

Yea, I think they are still figuring out/getting used to this new "windows as a service" and fast development cycle. You can see adjustments in how they flight builds in the last year, more aggressive timelines and the willingness to drop a feature for the next release if it won't hit the deadlines (in the past they could delay the entire OS for a promised feature. Of course it helps when the next release is 6 months away, not 3 years...).

My opinion with the this particular issue though is that it should it have been caught ahead of time (the Xbox Creators update was available to anyone who wanted it for a few months before release). I don't blame Luke and Ebr because I don't know how many resources they have at their disposal to have an xbox on release OS and another on beta OS versions (can't just have one on the beta in case it breaks something that's not on release version etc.). I also don't know enough to blame MS. I haven't seen any other media apps having problems with the new Xbox OS version. From reading a bunch of the posts here Ember doesn't seem to suffer from the problem.

Hopefully Luke can resolve the problem soon and there can be some more proactive testing of new OS releases 2-4 weeks before general availability.

• Like 2

techywarrior

I believe Chef was on the early release of the Creator's Update on XB1, but it looks like it didn't break ET until right before it went public.  I saw it available shortly after his post here

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46001-xbox-one-theater-quit-on-playback/

I know Chef said something along the lines of "I saw this in the Xbox Preview but didn't report it (to Luke)" but not sure if he referred to it breaking only on the last build of Xbox Preview or on any previous.

At least we know Luke is working on it and Ember can be used for now (even if I find Ember to be less controller friendly then ET) so it's not the end of the world. Plus Luke is testing a new video player for Emby Theater (not sure if that has any effect on the Xbox or not) which could solve the problem too.

FrostByte

Hmm...not sure why he would have said that because the post he made in my link where he first says it breaks playback at 10 seconds is about 10 days before the update was released worldwide and then mentions it started with a March update.  Maybe I read that wrong though.  Oh well, I'm sure it will be figured out soon :)

Edited by FrostByte

linds1234

Emby Theatre updated for me today. Played a file, this time it didn't crash back to the app but instead the audio got stuck on a looping buzz... anyone else have that?

• Like 1

chef

Wierd thing is that the preview people only got the update a couple days before they pushed it out as public.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Emby Theatre updated for me today. Played a file, this time it didn't crash back to the app but instead the audio got stuck on a looping buzz... anyone else have that?

I played 2 movies (1 ea DP/DS) and both crashed at 10 seconds using 1.1.104.6 :(

based on my media everything works fine no problems except movies.

The real problem seems to be any files with 5.1 audio can only be played for 1 minute before it crashes back to the home screen. This is definitely a codec / transcoding problem as far as i can tell. MP4 files with 5.1 aac audio won't play longer than a minute. MP4 files with 2.0 aac audio seem to be fine. And mkv files with 2.0 audio don't have any problems either. I'm not sure what changes were made to the creators update for xbox but it seems to have effected the transcoding or codec for emby.

xxJonoxx

Wierd thing is that the preview people only got the update a couple days before they pushed it out as public.

Hmm...not sure why he would have said that because the post he made in my link where he first says it breaks playback at 10 seconds is about 10 days before the update was released worldwide and then mentions it started with a March update.  Maybe I read that wrong though.  Oh well, I'm sure it will be figured out soon :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, I love the work that's going on and how well this server/app is supported.  But for history sake, we reported the issue early Feb.

Unfortunately, as Luke is not in the preview program, he was not able to replicate till the update went live.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44647-xbox-app-crashing-to-dash/&do=findComment&comment=417870

Yea, I think they are still figuring out/getting used to this new "windows as a service" and fast development cycle. You can see adjustments in how they flight builds in the last year, more aggressive timelines and the willingness to drop a feature for the next release if it won't hit the deadlines (in the past they could delay the entire OS for a promised feature. Of course it helps when the next release is 6 months away, not 3 years...).

My opinion with the this particular issue though is that it should it have been caught ahead of time (the Xbox Creators update was available to anyone who wanted it for a few months before release). I don't blame Luke and Ebr because I don't know how many resources they have at their disposal to have an xbox on release OS and another on beta OS versions (can't just have one on the beta in case it breaks something that's not on release version etc.). I also don't know enough to blame MS. I haven't seen any other media apps having problems with the new Xbox OS version. From reading a bunch of the posts here Ember doesn't seem to suffer from the problem.

Hopefully Luke can resolve the problem soon and there can be some more proactive testing of new OS releases 2-4 weeks before general availability.

Well, to be fair, its not that easy for 'anyone' to get into the preview program on X1 and then into a higher ring like alpha or bravo unlike the insiders program for Windows 10. And as mentioned, a few of us (@@TrainAss and I) whom seem to be on the Bravo ring did report it as soon as it became apparent it was indeed the application and not the platform.

You are correct, Ember does not have the same issue - I'm currently using it for playback until this is resolved. Also using the media player app with DLNA will work a treat.

Edited by xxJonoxx

techywarrior

Well, to be fair, its not that easy for 'anyone' to get into the preview program on X1 and then into a higher ring like alpha or bravo unlike the insiders program for Windows 10. 

They changed it somewhere early this year /end last year where anyone could get into the lowest preview ring. The highest levels require that you are one of the larger feedback contributors.

xxJonoxx

They changed it somewhere early this year /end last year where anyone could get into the lowest preview ring. The highest levels require that you are one of the larger feedback contributors.

That's true. However you are jumping over the place.  

You would like to see testing months in advance, and I agree;

My opinion with the this particular issue though is that it should it have been caught ahead of time (the Xbox Creators update was available to anyone who wanted it for a few months before release). 

Ring 3, the one open to the public, and is only released days before it is released to the public. Its basically testing the install en-mass. The only way to get the preview for testing that far ahead of release is by being in Alpha or Bravo (ring 1 or 2).

Which is what I was alluding too with the 'not that easy' remark as enrolment to those rings are managed by MS.