Square Theme: General Help Thread

Soultaker

phonk

Hi, 

I like this theme very much.

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to change the tile color to another like it is given in the config menu ? (I'm using the clear theme and the tiles should look like the clock-background)

2. I'm using the ThemeVideo Backdrop Plugin. It works fine with this theme, but with enabled OneTV the backdroptheme moved to the little preview window. An option would be nice to disable this and put the themevideo back as backdrop

Yogi

The theme videobackdrops is only in the window in my movie folders but imy TV section even with OneTV enabled it is still full screen.I think that is how it is meant to be,.you can click on the NPV button at the top when a theme is playing to make it full screen.

If you mean you want the tiles clear as well,you will need to wait for soultaker (the theme dev) to answer that one.

Edited by Yogi

Soultaker

Hi phonk,

A picture would be very useful, I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean.

techywarrior

ST, you back now?

Can you update Square to work correctly with the new "also watching" feature? I don't know if it doesn't work at all or if there is just no indication that another user is also logged in. You can select people but there is no visual difference at all and no indicator in the theme of the other person/people.

If you get the standard user dialog that let's you select "Also Here" then it is working.  He just needs a visual indicator of some sort on the user icon.

techywarrior

If you get the standard user dialog that let's you select "Also Here" then it is working. He just needs a visual indicator of some sort on the user icon.

Yea, I guess that's my point. It may be working but there is no way to tell. Even on the menu that appears it just shows + next to each person. So without an indicator in the theme you can't tell. Is the menu something that is developed in mbc? I'll check when I get home tonight but if the menu is from mbc then maybe you should update it to have - next to someone already added. (since its my live setup I can't do more comprehensive testing without incurring major WAF)

That must be ST's own menu.

The standard menu has check boxes.

537ba34a02dbd_mbcalsohere.png

Soultaker

As far as I can tell the Add User to Viewing session is working correctly. For example, if I click on the "+" box a white border surrounds that (similar to how the filters work in Square when activated).

eg.

User Menu

+   User 2
 [+]  User 3
  +   User 4

techywarrior

As far as I can tell the Add User to Viewing session is working correctly. For example, if I click on the "+" box a white border surrounds that (similar to how the filters work in Square when activated).

eg.

User Menu

+   User 2
 [+]  User 3
  +   User 4

Hi ST. When I get home tonight I'll test again. (and try take screenshots). Honestly, I only tested it right when the functionality came out but since it didn't appear to work and there was no update to Square I didn't bother with it again.

Are you back now? I know you said you were going to be away a while (another reason I didn't bother bringing it up before).

Everything else has been working well for me in Square but I do have a couple requests/minor annoyances that it would be awesome if you could address (and hopefully fix and/or give options)

techywarrior

Ok, I was going to upload a screenshot but it looks like my HTPC video card is dieing. Turned it on when I got home and the screen is all purple (and not even a good purple).

Basically this is what the menu looks like:

I log in:

User Menu

+ User 2

+ User 3

+ User 4

I select User 2:

User Menu

[+] User 2

[+] User 3

[+] User 4

So, you can't tell who was selected and who wasn't. Since I haven't used the feature I don't really know how it works. I would guess that it resets after each logout but if it doesn't it will start to get hard to remember which people I set and which I didn't after a few days.

Delphi

@@techywarrior Purple coloring is usually a loose hdmi connection, check your connections before you decide to replace the vid card

Edited by Delphi

techywarrior

@@techywarrior Purple coloring is usually a loose hdmi connection, check your connections before you decide to replace the vid card

hehe, I used to be a system and network admin (and built PC's back in the day before companies just "bought a dell".) Now I'm a programmer.

I appreciate the post but I checked it all. First thing I did was check the HDMI connections (I also have an HDMI splitter in the loop). Alas, nothing so easy was the issue (I tested many other things too and temporarily fell back to my integrated Intel graphics).

But some good came of it. I ran over to Frys (big box computer store for those who don't know them) and picked up a cheap GeForce GT 610 for $40 with a $20 MIR.... and the lady messed up and was like "is that a video card? Let me get you a free game" and promptly handed me a download code for Watch_Dogs !!!!!

So, yea... I win !!!

Edited by techywarrior

techywarrior

Thanks for the stealth update ST... but I just found another bug.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7426-gamebrowser-classic-version-30039/&do=findComment&comment=100785

In GameBrowser, when the game link is missing, the play button isn't supposed to appear. Red can give you details on what value should be checked, or exactly what the story is.

ronvp

would you be able to fix the Thumb view in the "Movies by Genre"?

Right now, it does not use the thumbs.jpg, but only shows labels.. The "Folder.jpg" is working when in Folder view, but the thumbs.jpg's do not show up.

i.e.: I have View menu set to "Folder" and Cover menu set to "Thumb" It works in all other views, just not in "Genre". See images..53809814e18e4_moviesview.jpg538098315cd44_Genreview.png

Soultaker

@@ronvp Hey ron, I've been away from the scene a while but can you tell me in MBC which other themes have genre thumbs working?

AsparagusTrevor

Brilliant theme, it didn't take much playing around with the trial before I threw the money at it. I had been a user of Neo for quite a while before now but mainly on the strength of the EHS, Square has become my new favourite theme. The WAF especially is at an all time high with the 'next up' episodes on the EHS.

I'm having one strange issue though, in all relevant views the spacing between posters is messed up, like it is using the spacing for banners. Here's a screenshot to demonstrate what I mean, you can see the focus frame outlines the poster at banner size and the movies are spaced out as such:

538279af9bca4_sqerror.jpg

It happens on both of my computers which have MBC installed, and only happens on Square theme. It seems to happen when going from Banner view to Poster view. However, I have found a way to fix it, changing the theme altogether then reverting back to Square makes it show correctly, but it's a bit of messing around.

Also, I was wondering about what things were on the roadmap for the near future. For example, I know this theme isn't Neo but it would be nice to similarly customise what info appears at the bottom, for example I usually disable the studio logo as I find it irrelevant and I prefer the age-ratings to be icons rather than text, especially for UK ratings it looks better in my opinion. One other thing, I always liked the End Time option in Neo, any chance of that making a reappearance in Square? Also, would it be at all possible for the Movies by Genre to have its own layout settings independent of the other movie views, or is this a unavoidable limitation? For example, I like to have banners for the Genres, but posters for the movies themselves. No big deal if not possible.

Thanks, keep up the (very) good work.

Edited by AsparagusTrevor

Soultaker

@@AsparagusTrevor Hi, I think you have enabled banner mode on your movies folder which is an antiquated option and doesnt play nicely with more modern themes like Square.

Here's what I'd recommend:

1) Switch to classic theme

2) Enter your movies folder

3) Open the "view" tab, and un-check the "Use Banners" option (see image)

old-view-tab.png

4) Now switch back to Square with the following settings View = "Poster" and Cover = "Poster". You may find you need to adjust the cover size as appropriate.

I don't really have a roadmap for Square at this time, but I understand your customisation options I'll take it onboard. There is a limitation for the by genre stuff as it's essentially exactly the same view only indexed differently - beyond the realms of Square to be honest.

-ST

• Like 1

ronvp

@@ronvp Hey ron, I've been away from the scene a while but can you tell me in MBC which other themes have genre thumbs working?

not sure, none of the other themes really does a good job at handling the thumbs.. it just seems to me that the theme would be more complete and more uniform if it were to show all collections in the same way

AsparagusTrevor

@@AsparagusTrevor Hi, I think you have enabled banner mode on your movies folder which is an antiquated option and doesnt play nicely with more modern themes like Square.

Here's what I'd recommend:

1) Switch to classic theme

2) Enter your movies folder

3) Open the "view" tab, and un-check the "Use Banners" option (see image)

old-view-tab.png

4) Now switch back to Square with the following settings View = "Poster" and Cover = "Poster". You may find you need to adjust the cover size as appropriate.

I don't really have a roadmap for Square at this time, but I understand your customisation options I'll take it onboard. There is a limitation for the by genre stuff as it's essentially exactly the same view only indexed differently - beyond the realms of Square to be honest.

-ST

@@Soultaker I've tried the above and that does indeed seem to fix the problem when it appears, thanks a lot, I didn't even think to check there!

Thank you for the reply regarding the other points and it's great that you might consider the potential customisation options, I think it's nice to have a few choices here and there without needing to get bogged down and losing the essence of the theme I think Neo was balanced quite well in that respect. To be honest I did suspect the genres views issue might go deeper than theme level but I thought I'd check, though it's not too much of a bother.

Again, great job with the theme, it's a brilliant, modern showcase for the power of Media Browser 3.

Edited by AsparagusTrevor

MrFlibbles

Welcome back Soultaker :) I don't wish to become annoying but I was wondering if you had any time to look at this request?

The end time could perhaps go in the bottom middle section of the screenshot I posted. So it would read:

****   TV-14   35 mins   (1:37 PM)

Perhaps the media icons could sit on the right hand side, under the thumb image?

I think the end time is important but the media icons are a nice to have.

Just want to check if this request is still on a list you have somewhere :)

Just FYI - ST.  EndTime and EndTimeStr are properties on Item now.  I know in the past themes rolled their own on this but that is no longer necessary.  EndTimeStr takes localization into account.

Soultaker

Cool thanks for the heads up ebr

Edit

so close yet so far...

First of it's EndTimeString :)

Second, it prefixes with "Ends XXXX" dohness

Edited by Soultaker

Soultaker

Welcome back Soultaker :) I don't wish to become annoying but I was wondering if you had any time to look at this request?

The end time could perhaps go in the bottom middle section of the screenshot I posted. So it would read:

****   TV-14   35 mins   (1:37 PM)

Perhaps the media icons could sit on the right hand side, under the thumb image?

I think the end time is important but the media icons are a nice to have.

Just want to check if this request is still on a list you have somewhere :)

Done, will be part of the next update.

• Like 2

Soultaker

Added some options to toggle the media info bar items. Not all items will be "toggleable" (if thats even a word).

Will be part of the next release.

media-info-bar-on-off.jpg

• Like 1