Android Mobile

Redshirt

Jasin

I use the next up page for the shows I watch. When android finishes casting to the chromecast it goes back to the next up but it isn't updated. I have to back out then reopen media browser for it to update. It would be nice if it refresh the info when it gets back to that page.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

@@Jasin - I brought this up a whole ago.

If I remember correctly, Redshirt said it's the server that's not updating the app.

You can click on your user icon and log in again and the page will be up.

Redshirt

Nah, this one is the client. It's only refreshing the page when it loads for the first time and not when the page resumes (ie: navigating back to it from deeper in the ui). It's a behaviour that's present in a lot of the android client pages. Just for giggles, I've updated the next-up tab and am just testing it now. I'll be reviewing the other pages as time permits.

• Like 1

Redshirt

Well that went easier than expected. With the next update, all 5 tabs of the homescreen (favorites, new, next up, resume, library) will also update when you navigate back to them, not just when they are shown for the first time.

• Like 4

CBers

Cool, thanks Redshirt.

That'll also apply when watching via CC?

Edited by CBers

James Nally

Had idea for future; some people sleep their PC so have WOL built in if possible

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Jasin

Thank you for adding that. One other suggestion I find useful plex app is if I select a show from the new or resume page, the top left back arrows go back to that shows season/main page instead of the new page. I see both ways being useful. Perhaps a way to click on the shows name to go to the main show page while back still goes to where you came from.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
James Nally

Starting to get impatient for a new release. Had to restart the hobbit about 5 times to watch. Appreciated the summer android update though, will try to continue to wait for your genius.

thefirstofthe300

Starting to get impatient for a new release. Had to restart the hobbit about 5 times to watch. Appreciated the summer android update though, will try to continue to wait for your genius.

Ditto.  How close is the next release?  I would really like to see the new features you mentioned in the update rolled out.

• 2 weeks later...
randomizer

Why do the Chromecast bitrate options only allow up to 6Mbps whereas the others allow up to 21Mbps? Presumably it can stream higher bitrates on 802.11n networks.

Redshirt

During early testing the CC didn't seem to do well with high bitrate media. 

randomizer

Did that appear to be a decoding performance problem or poor wireless performance? I would have thought that it could decode higher bitrate streams, although it depends on the codec of course.

Edited by randomizer

blublub

Hi

The Android App work really well as far as I have tested it! - really good work here.

The only feature I am missing is an integrated WOL feature that wakes up my HTPC when it is in sleep - is that something you might consider?

Redshirt

I'm planning at some point to add WOL to wake up the server.

• Like 2

thefirstofthe300

Is there ANY idea of when the next android release is going to be?  With all of the hints of a new release in these forum posts, you're really killing me, Smalls.

Vidman

Is there ANY idea of when the next android release is going to be? With all of the hints of a new release in these forum posts, you're really killing me, Smalls.

FYI I've given up on the android app for my set-top android device...too many issues... So I installed xbmc with the xbmb3c add-on for a much better experience on a device that is permanently connected to a tv..... And it's free Edited by Vidman

thefirstofthe300

FYI I've given up on the android app for my set-top android device...too many issues... So I installed xbmc with the xbmb3c add-on for a much better experience on a device that is permanently connected to a tv..... And it's free

I actually am not really needing the Android TV features...yet.  I actually am looking forward to the improvements in the mobile version...particularly in the internal player.  For instance, I am hoping that the fast-forward problem I am having will be solved.  

Go easy on him. He's working hard to bring you guys some great things :). Shouldn't be too much longer.

• Like 3

thefirstofthe300

Go easy on him. He's working hard to bring you guys some great things :). Shouldn't be too much longer.

Glad to hear.   :D

FYI I've given up on the android app for my set-top android device...too many issues... So I installed xbmc with the xbmb3c add-on for a much better experience on a device that is permanently connected to a tv..... And it's free

would you care to make a forum post about this? i am willing to bet that most users don't realize you can run xbmb3c on android. thanks.

Redshirt

and maybe elaborate on the android issues in this post. They may already be fixed in the upcoming release or I may have inadvertently overlooked them. If it's the latter, I'd like to rectify that.

• Like 1

James Nally

and maybe elaborate on the android issues in this post. They may already be fixed in the upcoming release or I may have inadvertently overlooked them. If it's the latter, I'd like to rectify that.

Thanks for everything. We just impatient as hell. Can't wait though.
  • Like 1

thefirstofthe300

I don't know if this post is pointed at me  ;) but I would be willing to give you an idea of problems I have been having.

1.)  I would like to have the player be smarter about which audio stream to use.  (I am pretty sure you have already addressed this but just making sure.)

2.)  The internal player for some reason will not skip forward using the arrows more than once.  I think I have narrowed the problem down to a problem with the player resetting the internal current time of playback 0:00.  To give you an idea of what I mean, if I attempt to fast forward from 00:54 to 01:24 seconds, it will work.  However, if I attempt to skip in the same playback from say 4:24 to 4:54 (notice the time from 01:24 to 4:24 seconds: a total of 3 minutes), the player will skip instead to 3:30 in the video.  I hope that made sense.

3.)  Also, a note about the UI in general.  I know that you are making huge UI improvements (mostly for the Android TV but hey, I can hope.) but I would like to point out that navigating from an episode using the MediaBrowser button in the top left hand corner takes me back to the home screen.  I would instead expect it to take me back to a season view.

4.)  I have also noticed that when I am streaming media outside of my LAN, leaving playback is extremely slow, i.e. when I stop watching, the UI freezes for long enough to cause Android to think that the app crashed, even though the app may still unfreeze.

Thanks for being willing to listen!  Have to say that I am looking forward to the newest update.

well i think the top left media browser icon should be used for a hamburger menu, which is a big trend now. if i were to click and and have it jump to a series or season, i would wonder what just happened here.

thefirstofthe300

well i think the top left media browser icon should be used for a hamburger menu, which is a big trend now. if i were to click and and have it jump to a series or season, i would wonder what just happened here.

I actually would agree with this article and say that the hamburger is probably not the way to go.  I would instead attempt something similar to what FB is doing.

Edit:  Upon rereading my post and yours @@Luke, I think what we have is a failure to communicate (well).  The UI nav problem that I have is when you are on the overview page of an episode named "Blah, Blah."  On the overview page, there is a button in the top left corner labeled "Blah, Blah" and clicking on that takes you to the home screen(?).  That is where my problem lies.

Edited by DaBungalow