Android Mobile

Redshirt

trusselo

For anyone having trouble connecting over DATA connection (LTE/4G) with your android phone, please read:

Some mobile phones need some settings changed in order to connect correctly to MediaBrowser over a data connection.

On your android phone:

• Press 'Menu' > System Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names (or APNs) >
  • Here you may have one or more APNs in a list, there will be at least one, 
  • here you will click on the one that is already selected as active.
  • You must now edit the line titled 'Proxy' to be "EMPTY/ Not Set".
  • This does NOT have to be done to the MMSPROXY.
  • Press 'Menu' button> SAVE.

Reboot and enjoy.

The proxy setting routes all your phone's internet traffic through the phone company's servers, allowing them to block certain protocols and websites.  Your web experience will now be faster, un-inhibited and all-around better.  Most importantly, media browser can now connect to your home over data.

533eebf8ee179_20140404172223.png

Redshirt

Thank you Trusselo. I would never have the time to research something like this.

Can others please confirm that this solves connection issues.

Skkittlebomb

Is there a tutorial to set up the android app?

Edited by Skkittlebomb

Redshirt

There will be a tutorial by the end of tonight. I intend to link to it in my next client update in order to help first-time users.

Are you able to connect to the PC using the web browser on the device if you navigate to http://enter.your.ip.address:8096/mediabrowser

• Like 1

trusselo

I just purrchased and downloaded the app for my Samsung Tablet. However it will not connect to a library. I am completely lost and have no idea how to set it up. Is there a step by step set up somewhere?

TThanks ;)

Open the Media Browser SERVER Dashboard, by right-clicking the server tray icon, then selecting Configure Media Browser.

it will open the dashboard in your browser. (bookmark this page)

on the very first page... you get your setup info

53437cc70ec91_mbip.png

then take that info to your android device and "make-same"

IP.ADD.RE.SS : PORT

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

trusselo

hell. heres a setup picture and laymans description for port forwarding too.

anyone with multiple internet connected devices in their home, has a router, to split your HOME's IP address (you only get one) to multiple devices within your home.

Anyone wanting to watch their media ouside the home, will need to do this.

your ios/android device connects to your home using your HOUSE's IP address, but the router may not know which computer on your local (house) network to communicate with.

Port forwarding tells your router "hey, if any connections come to the house on this port (or range of ports), send it to this local computer IP"

you dont need to know your HOME's IP for this step. you need to know your SERVERS local IP address.

Every router is different but.. same...  you may have to google how to port forward on YOUR DEVICE MODEL

5343811c5fb47_mbportforwarding.png

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 2

trusselo

perhaps later ill show you guys how assign your server a specific IP address so your router doesnt move it around on you.

and talk more about your homes IP address and how it changes randomly.

• Like 1

pmac

I was curious to know if there were any plans on adding "direct play" ability to the local playback quality settings, instead of having to transcode or use DLNA or an external player. The reason I ask is that for some reason when using DLNA, playback seems to stop a little before the video is finished, and with external players, my playback position isn't saved. MX player seems to do a good job with 1080 video so far on my Android TV box, but it'd be nice to have proper position tracking like the internal player, and the quality of playing the file directly.

Sorry for the self bump here, it just seemed this post may have gotten lost a while back, I think this would be a nice feature for those of us using Android-TV boxes, and the like.

Heckler

Just noticed that the app is 'on offer' for 99c at the moment... Not sure if that applies to those using other currencies or not.

But the app is more than worth it at full price, let alone the offer price.

Just trying to figure out connecting over the net.

I don't have a static IP addy, and admittedly it changes very infrequently as my router is rather stable as far as I am aware as I've certainly not had to reboot it in months... However it does drop the connection from time to time due to my ISP doing maintenance as they claim... Odd how it always seems to happen at the same time (1-2am).

With the recent announcement that dyndns is shuttering it's free service... Can anyone recommend a free alternative... and more importantly, one that will work with the SKY Home Hub router, that as far as I can tell only seems to have a setting for dyndns.org in the settings.

jordy

I've just signed up with DNSExit.com. free and they provide a software ip updater bthat works as a Windows service. You can set it to update your external ip at whatever interval you want. So far so good

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Heckler

Cheers @@CBers I've signed up fr an account with them, the problem is that my ISP only currently has the option in the router for DYNDNS.ORG and they've got it locked down like the arseholes they are... 

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new router, because they also lock down the DNS servers and I can't get around them... tried defining them within windows network settings, but the router refuses to route them via those and forces everything through theirs... which means I'm stuck with the censorship problems here in the UK.

Heckler

@@CBers  Yeah.. SKY it is... Seriously thinking about ditching them altogether as I rarely watch the TV... I only really watch the F1 HD channel when a race is on, so find the cost ridiculous based on my use.

I'll look into the ip updater thing, and if no-ip don't then I'll take a look at the one @@jordy mentioned. 

Heckler

On another issue...

I've got my tablet connecting via the net, tested it out by using my phone as a wifi hotspot and connected my tabet through that.  Had to create a new connection for it, so I just need to select that one if out and about.

But I'm struggling with the bitrate, if I adjust it so that it streams content at an acceptable quality for the tablet (2mb/s seems to be the lowest I can go), I am seeing rather high CPU use, it also affects the setting from the browser/dashboard video player.

Would it be best to create a mirror account just for the tablet and set the bitrate lower to avoid conflict?

Can you set the transcoding different for each account at the server level?

I've yet to try HD content over the net because I have a crappy data plan, all I did was stream 480p content to test, as well as some music... Will be able to test further next weekend when I go and visit the folks as they have the same ISP as me and their speeds are pretty good like mine.

trusselo

A DNS service is not necessary for remote connections, as long as you accept the fact that your IP could randomly change.  I am at 6 months with the same IP address. I can connect fine anywhere with no dynamic DNS service. Though how long your ISP will let you keep your IP is dependant on each ISP company.

trusselo

On another issue...

I've got my tablet connecting via the net, tested it out by using my phone as a wifi hotspot and connected my tabet through that.  Had to create a new connection for it, so I just need to select that one if out and about.

But I'm struggling with the bitrate, if I adjust it so that it streams content at an acceptable quality for the tablet (2mb/s seems to be the lowest I can go), I am seeing rather high CPU use, when you transcode it requires CPU power to do so, it also affects the setting from the browser/dashboard video player. HUH? leave the browser config at AUTO

Would it be best to create a mirror account just for the tablet and set the bitrate lower to avoid conflict? no

Can you set the transcoding different for each account at the server level? ?? you set the bitrate on each device in the android app. then each device gets to decide its speed / bitrate.

I've yet to try HD content over the net because I have a crappy data plan, all I did was stream 480p content to test, as well as some music... Will be able to test further next weekend when I go and visit the folks as they have the same ISP as me and their speeds are pretty good like mine. This is what transcoding and setting your max bitrate is for.  HD Bluray content is around 15-30 mb/s bitrate, you set you max bitrate in your android app to your homes max UPLOAD speed, 2 mb/s ??, then the computer transcodes the video to lower quality (smaller bitrate) so it will play over the internet.

Edited by trusselo

Mibok

I recommend noip.com for DNS. I was looking for an alternative after the dyndns notice and found that noip have the option for port redirecting so you don't have to specify the port when entering the url.

Heckler

@@trusselo  I think you've misunderstood what I was saying.

When I changed the bitrate setting in the android app, the next time I played something through the dashboard/browser on another computer... the bitrate had been changed there too.  If what you are saying is so... then it shouldn't be changing the bitrate for another device.

James Nally

Any one having issues reopening chromecast controls after playback? My device freezes up, lose control, and the poster disappears.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

CBers

Any one having issues reopening chromecast controls after playback? My device freezes up, lose control, and the poster disappears.

This has been reported in the dev forums and I believe Redshirt has fixed it in the next beta release. I could be wrong though.

Redshirt

It is fixed, however the fix exposed another issue I'm trying to deal with.

• Like 1

James Nally

It is fixed, however the fix exposed another issue I'm trying to deal with.

thanks I was just getting stuck trying to please a 2 yr old with movies. Thanks for all your work.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk