Android Mobile

Redshirt

Ghostm

Thanks just did the update. One last question, since my chromecast is right near the router, im just wondering how big of factor the android client plays in this, so i can decide what to set the bitrate as.

Since my router is next to the chromecast i would like to set it high (6mbps), but then if i move around the house with the phone or tablet to a significantly weaker part of the house with a poor wifi signal (a distant bedroom with my phone for example), will that effect quality? Or does the server negotiate directly with the chromecast once the connection is made through your app?

Im just not entirely sure what the chain is. 

Actually I can try it when i return home this weekend to see for myself. 

Edited by Ghostm

Redshirt

Playback is purely dependent on the CC/Router/Server. Once playback starts the client just polls the CC for status. If the client moves out of range then the clients status reporting will be out of whack but the playback will carry on as long as the CC and server can talk.

Ghostm

Playback is purely dependent on the CC/Router/Server. Once playback starts the client just polls the CC for status. If the client moves out of range then the clients status reporting will be out of whack but the playback will carry on as long as the CC and server can talk.

Thanks for the info, phoned home and had the wife try it. Had her play something then walk outside with her phone, she said it played back perfectly fine, despite that area being incredibly weak. 

Edited by Ghostm

Brad Bedwell

I noticed in various outlets they are pushing the fact that their android and ios clients can mirror whats on the phone on the chromecast, so browsing your library appears on the chromecast as you browse on the phone.

I second the ability to mirror similar to what PLEX is doing.  I would also like a stop button to end the stream and bitrate for chromecast to be set higher.  Just a thought for future updates.

Ghostm

One more question, this should be my last one :)

I could swear i used to use advanced play and play it to a client (selecting subtitles) before the chromecast update came. Currently i dont seem able to advance play to a client (other then chromecast) where i can select subtitle streams and then send it to client, was this removed or am i doing something wrong.

Redshirt

Selecting subtitles for remote play never existed. The server remote control API doesn't support defining the audio or subtitle track for remote playback. 

Ghostm

Hmm i must be imagining that, i thought i was able to select advanced play and media browser theater would popup as a client (in addition to the android device itself) and i could select subtitles and play it on media browser theater. Must have just imagined it. 

Well either way it works on chromecast at least for now. Hopefully api comes to allow us to select subtitles during remote play. 

Edited by Ghostm

• 2 weeks later...
Redshirt

Does anybody actually connect to more than one machine? Or is everyone using the multiple connections purely to specify and internal and external connection to their server?

pmac

I was curious to know if there were any plans on adding "direct play" ability to the local playback quality settings, instead of having to transcode or use DLNA or an external player. The reason I ask is that for some reason when using DLNA, playback seems to stop a little before the video is finished, and with external players, my playback position isn't saved. MX player seems to do a good job with 1080 video so far on my Android TV box, but it'd be nice to have proper position tracking like the internal player, and the quality of playing the file directly.

aperry

I am loving the Chromecast support. Seriously, it's working perfectly for me. Thanks!

Quick question: VideoCastNotificationService persists even after the app is closed out by either going "back" or by killing it from the list of apps that you see when you double click the home button. I have to go into Settings in order to kill the process, even if nothing is playing. Is this intended? I'm always looking at ways to extend my battery life so I noticed this process is always running. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Redshirt

That's interesting. I don't actually call the service directly myself. It's part of a library that is written by Google employees. They've pushed a number of bug fixes since I last merged their code with mine, so perhaps they've already fixed it. I'll sync their library with mine this weekend, but the fix will likely miss this weekends update of my client. I don't want to delay releasing by adding this first.

aperry

No worries. It's not a hassle. I just wanted to report it for a future update. But it sounds like it's Google's code at fault anyway. Thanks for the quick response!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TheShanMan

Does anybody actually connect to more than one machine? Or is everyone using the multiple connections purely to specify and internal and external connection to their server?

One machine for both, and I only use one connection. My internal DNS server is set up to resolve my external name as an internal IP.

@@Redshirt when browsing photo content, play all has no effect, isn't it suppose to play all photos sequentially?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

Edited by DaN

@@Redshirt when browsing photo content, play all has no effect, isn't it suppose to play all photos sequentially?

Redshirt

Play all shouldn't even be visible actually if the folder contents are photos. That's my bad.

Play all shouldn't even be visible actually if the folder contents are photos. That's my bad.

so, any plan for slideshow when the content is photos collection?

Redshirt

yes but there are bigger fish to fry.