Android Mobile

Redshirt

Not to worry. This is actually the last time you're going to see really long gaps between Android releases. From here on out we're going to do smaller, faster cycles. So the features that are in high demand we're going to make sure we get to you as quickly as we can.

• Like 1

allen00se

I haven't seen the FireTV question answered yet, I know the UI wont be the 10' ideal UI... but when released this android app will at least load and run on the FireTV, Correct?

Redshirt

No. Amazon has separate testing criteria for the Fire TV. I haven't addressed them yet. I will be looking into it very closely after this next release.

ColtB45

No. Amazon has separate testing criteria for the Fire TV. I haven't addressed them yet. I will be looking into it very closely after this next release.

If you buy the current app on an Android device then sideload it to the Fire TV it works. I suspect that's what allen is asking about the new version, not about the 10' UI nor Amazon App approval.

allen, if I interpreted your question correctly, I believe the answer would be yes - albeit with the same limitations (Usability with the stock remote is poor. A wireless kayboard/mouse is a must.) as the current version.

Redshirt

The long awaited update is now live, you guys will start seeing it over the next few days. Read about it here.

• Like 4

James Nally

The long awaited update is now live, you guys will start seeing it over the next few days. Read about it here.

Awesome, clicked the link and really love the f-bomb in the screen shots. Thanks for everything.
  • Like 2

Redshirt

Whoops! Didn't even see that in the song list. Image changed :)

• Like 1

Wow, the app looks very sexy now. The lag is gone, its quite impressive. Digging the slide out menu too, bravo.

One bug I do see, a small one, when casting to a roku. When you press play, if the video is resumeable, you will see a play and a resume from position button. You can play, or resume from that point, before it casts to the roku. No matter which you pick, play or resume, the video starts from the beginning when direct played. Haven't played with transcoded video casting yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Loving the app.  It feels much more Androidy now.  Like the sidebar and removing the back arrow from the top left.  Now the navigation in TV Shows through seasons and episodes makes a lot more sense.  I like the new player and the ability to change the bitrate from the player.  You were right when you said this was a huge update to the app.   :)

Now if only Google would get their act together and fix the HLS streaming bug.  It really annoys me that many of the media streaming apps suffer because of the bug but the Google Play Movies app doesn't.   :angry:  Almost like they are letting the competition suffer until Android L.

Edited by DaBungalow
  • Like 1

iam4uk

The latest Android MB app release does look sharp, but it does not work consistently.  I have rebooted my android device about 4 times now trying to get past problems in testing this app's new release.

... Sometimes connects to server, more often will not connect.

... Live TV won't stream, but will in the web client.

... "Resume" at any location other than the start = app hangs.

... Select any place on the timeline to jump to = app hangs.

... Playback interface overlay sometimes pops up and will not disappear.

Redshirt

.... Live TV won't stream, but will in the web client.

... "Resume" at any location other than the start = app hangs.

... Select any place on the timeline to jump to = app hangs.

... Playback interface overlay sometimes pops up and will not disappear.

Do you have HLS enabled or disabled in your settings?

iam4uk

Do you have HLS enabled or disabled in your settings?

I had it enabled, but as part of troubleshooting, I disabled it. No change in observed behavior.

Redshirt

I'd like to have a look at a client log for both the seek and live tv issues.

James Nally

I have trouble seeking videos. Time goes where I want but video plays where it was. Not sure if its me, the video, or something else.

thefirstofthe300

I have trouble seeking videos. Time goes where I want but video plays where it was. Not sure if its me, the video, or something else.

I have the same trouble.  If I attempt to seek into a video, the video restarts from the beginning, but the progress time is still at where I seeked to.

Another problem is that if a use resume playback from: (whenever), the playback starts where it should but the progress time starts from the beginning.

This is all if I have HLS disabled.  See the thread I just created for the problems I have if HLS is turned on.

Seems also a problem with instant mix. It doesn't work at all. I do see the playlists made. This was one of the bigger hopes I had for this app :( .. I mean, when you navigate to music and choose the giant instant mix button. Its so eye candy and sexy, but having problems with functionality with my roku is disappointing. :(

I know Rome wasn't built in a day. I realize there are only so many minutes in a day you can devote. Please devote more time to those of us with both roku and android tablets. Poll lease seaweed (android spell correct there, I mean plllleeeeaaassseeee. )

Edited by speechles

Redshirt

Seems also a problem with instant mix. It doesn't work at all. I do see the playlists made. This was one of the bigger hopes I had for this app :( .. I mean, when you navigate to music and choose the giant instant mix button. Its so eye candy and sexy, but having problems with functionality with my roku is disappointing. :(

I know Rome wasn't built in a day. I realize there are only so many minutes in a day you can devote. Please devote more time to those of us with both roku and android tablets. Poll lease seaweed (android spell correct there, I mean plllleeeeaaassseeee. )

Fixed. You had me at seaweed. :)

Redshirt

Something is definitely going on with seeking/resume. We're looking into it. I don't believe it's android specific.

Glyde62

One problem I am having with the new release is with subtitles

I get subtitles even if none is selected when streaming to my Samsung TV

inkubux

I can't get it to direct play :(. I have a low powererd ARM server all my files are x264 and 2 ch AAC. I tried with HLS or without and there is always a transcode going on so I cannot listen to any movies.. Only if I use an external player everything is fine.. except that I loose seek position.

Any ideas on how I could enable direct play with the android client if the codecs are supported ? Thanks

cskyrme

The app looks great. At first attempt,however, I'm having an issue with AC3 5.1 audio when chromecasting a TV show. It works fine when played through my 2 channel TV speakers, but I seem to lose the dialog (center channel?) when listening though my stereo. The only thing that changed since it worked earlier this evening was the upgrade to the new android client.

Is this a known issue, or can I provide more details to help debug?

Thanks!