New version Update

CtrlAlt7

soundsnake8

We we're promised the actual product over a year ago and that never happened. Three months ago the teasers started up again and now we are possibly just getting pictures of it ? REALLY ?

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Then make the current build available to everyone. Isn't that the nature of Open Source? Release Early, Release Often.

That is absolutely not a guarantee of open source.  Access to the source yes, a release schedule dictated by end users, no.

I want to see the new theater release too.  I'm not by nature a patient person...but this won't make things go faster.

• Like 1

yardameus

Every time something gets rushed, people start complaining that there are bugs.  Considering all of the options available to us compared to 2 years ago, I'm amazed at the development.  If I had to pay 100 bucks for every product, I'd be pissed off.  Thank god that's not the case.  Not to mention, the "old" Emby theater works fine for me.  Maybe not for everyone's needs, but it works fine for my simple needs.

Koleckai Silvestri

That is absolutely not a guarantee of open source.  Access to the source yes, a release schedule dictated by end users, no.

I want to see the new theater release too.  I'm not by nature a patient person...but this won't make things go faster.

They have been working on this new version for two years now. Since I joined this forum. That is not rushed. We've been promised a preview for months now. This is not rushed.

I wish I could say the old Emby Theater worked for me. 720p content is a grid of 5 pixel by 5 pixel squares. It is not usable like that. Doubly disappointing because Theater was one of the primary reason I switched to MediaBrowser3. It worked until it got a "new custom player". It is sad that the primary PC client for Emby is a Web Client.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Xzener

The pictures shown in the past are of the scrapped rebuild... I'm sure this has been mentioned.

Edited by Xzener

Koleckai Silvestri

Don't feed the trolls...

Glad to know that expressing frustration at a product that basically has disappeared from development as being a troll on this site. I product that I have paid for by becoming a supporter. Instead new clients continually get added. And if they check, they will see that I have purchase every single "premium" client as well, whether I can use it or not.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 1

Xzener

Your a tester... We should be thankful the Devs aren't releasing buggy stuff to us. Less work for us to do. ;)

Koleckai Silvestri

Your a tester... We should be thankful the Devs aren't releasing buggy stuff to us. Less work for us to do. ;)

Was testing iOS but it is just a wrapper around the web client and as a end-user I don't see any benefit to it. Asked to be removed from that group. Not testing anything else except Collections on the Web Client to be fixed. Not really sure why I am in the Alpha Tester group. I don't have access to any Alpha builds except the server.

Redshirt

I got tired of waiting for Emby Theater to get re-written and just for fun installed Kodi on my Fire TV. It made me realize that a full blown HTPC is wasteful and overkill. My primary theater client now uses around 5w under load. Compared to the approx 125-150w of my old HTPC. The biggest complaint I have against kodi is that it's remote bindings feel unnatural compared to Emby Classic or Theater 1.0.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I got tired of waiting for Emby Theater to get re-written and just for fun installed Kodi on my Fire TV. It made me realize that a full blown HTPC is wasteful and overkill. My primary theater client now uses around 5w under load. Compared to the approx 125-150w of my old HTPC. The biggest complaint I have against kodi is that it's remote bindings feel unnatural compared to Emby Classic or Theater 1.0.

Some of us don't want to use it on HTPC. I want to use it on my desktop where I actually watch most video. Unfortunately, even though I have Emby Server installed, VLC is the client of choice most of the time these days. I have Rokus on my three televisions and that client works fine and is good for group viewing. I want Theater for the 8 PCs in the house.

xnappo

Some of us don't want to use it on HTPC. I want to use it on my desktop where I actually watch most video. Unfortunately, even though I have Emby Server installed, VLC is the client of choice most of the time these days. I have Rokus on my three televisions and that client works fine and is good for group viewing. I want Theater for the 8 PCs in the house.

Have you tried Emby for Kodi?

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Have you tried Emby for Kodi?

Yes... several times. The plugin seems nice but it doesn't get around the issues of keeping Kodi itself maintained without spending a lot of time doing so. Takes several hours just to get things set up in Kodi on my machine. That was as of a couple of months ago so I doubt it has changed. The fact that it isn't keyboard and mouse friendly and its skins like to hide options behind hidden menus is a big pain. 

Angelblue05

Yes... several times. The plugin seems nice but it doesn't get around the issues of keeping Kodi itself maintained without spending a lot of time doing so. Takes several hours just to get things set up in Kodi on my machine. That was as of a couple of months ago so I doubt it has changed. The fact that it isn't keyboard and mouse friendly and its skins like to hide options behind hidden menus is a big pain. 

Difference of opinion, Kodi is not for everyone. It's really more for people that want to get the most out of their player or set up it their own way, tailored to their needs. Really should only take you less than 20 minutes to set up your interface. What do you mean by keeping Kodi maintained? The add-on takes care of everything, literally. The only thing you need to set up is your interface, you do it once (20 min) and it's set forever. Hidden menus? Not sure what you are referring to... :)

Apart from the add-on being in constant development, it's still a pretty solid experience overall.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

Difference of opinion, Kodi is not for everyone. It's really more for people that want to get the most out of their player or set up it their own way, tailored to their needs. Really should only take you less than 20 minutes to set up your interface. What do you mean by keeping Kodi maintained? The add-on takes care of everything, literally. The only thing you need to set up is your interface, you do it once (20 min) and it's set forever. Hidden menus? Not sure what you are referring to... :)

Apart from the add-on being in constant development, it's still a pretty solid experience overall.

As you said, it isn't for everyone. I want something that is pretty much install and play designed for a PC to be used with a mouse and keyboard. Heck, even if I had an HTPC, I would probably use a keyboard and trackpad over a remote.

Angelblue05

Many skin in Kodi supports keyboard/mouse, even the default skin Confluence does. :) It does it very well too.

Of course if you want everything out of the box working, then it comes at the price of living with a pre-built setup that's doesn't allow for much customization. I know I don't want that. :P I hate having extra menus I can't get rid of, etc. Kodi allows me to set up my interface to only display what I actually use.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

yardameus

The biggest complaint I have against Kodi, with all it's customization options, is that most of the skins do no quite offer the views I want for browsing.  They are really close, but each one seems to have one option missing.  That's not the fault at all of Kodi or the Emby add-on.  The Emby addon and Kodi filled the gap while I was trying to figure out subtitle funkiness with Emby Theater 1.0.  Still use Kodi browse if I'm not looking for something newly added.  (No page up/down slows things down alot in Theater.)

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

The kodi add-on seems to be a great way to get the benefits of wmby server in the hands of folks that like the kodi user experience.  That's definitely not everyone but I'm glad it exists and have recommended people check it out.

Emby Theater works just fine for me.  Apparently it has issues with 720p content (?) but that has no impact on me as I don't have any.  Honestly if I were using just one client on the windows side of things I'd go with the app store version or the web UI with an external player.  Since I don't have to make that call I use theater for movies and the app for tv and music.

• Like 1

yardameus

I'm definitely not a discerning user, since I have no issue with Theater's 720p playback.  I also only have a 26" tv and sit 10 ft away.  Playback seems identical to Kodi or anything else for that matter.  My main reason for impatience is the potential for community involvement in the theme development area of Theater, similar to what we had for MBClassic.

Don't feed the trolls...

What a silly comment to make. People commenting are not trolls, they have a genuine interest in something which they have been told is very close a number of times over a significant period of time. Teasing a new release and then not releasing is obviously going to lead to questions and calling those people 'trolls' is ridiculous. Let's be fair here, the constant questioning is because there is little to nothing being shown of just how close Theatre is. Yes we all know its a full re-write of a full re-write but other than that, nothing has been said or shown except to a select few beta-testers.

If I was to spend 5 minutes looking I could show a number of posts from Luke and others saying Theatre would be teased or a beta released shortly etc. Now I am not saying it should be released before its ready, dont get me wrong I too want it to be fit for purpose. However, calling community members trolls is unfair when in fact they are often paying, contributing members of the Emby community. In other words...grow up.

• Like 2

soundsnake8

Seems odd that the subject has been changed from Emby Theater to Kodi. There also seems to be a big push for Kodi and has been for the past year or so. I know it is a great front end but to a few, most don't seem to care for it. Yet the push remains! This is an Emby Theater forum not a Kodi for emby Forum!

Still no pictures (teasers)

• Like 1

xnappo

I was just trying to help with people getting an HTPC solution while you wait for MBT - in particular the new 'Enique' skin is very 'Emby'.  I am excited to see how MBT goes too - but don't expect to be using it with my family any time soon.

Edited by xnappo

AgileHumor

What a silly comment to make. People commenting are not trolls, they have a genuine interest in something which they have been told is very close a number of times over a significant period of time. Teasing a new release and then not releasing is obviously going to lead to questions and calling those people 'trolls' is ridiculous. Let's be fair here, the constant questioning is because there is little to nothing being shown of just how close Theatre is. Yes we all know its a full re-write of a full re-write but other than that, nothing has been said or shown except to a select few beta-testers.

If I was to spend 5 minutes looking I could show a number of posts from Luke and others saying Theatre would be teased or a beta released shortly etc. Now I am not saying it should be released before its ready, dont get me wrong I too want it to be fit for purpose. However, calling community members trolls is unfair when in fact they are often paying, contributing members of the Emby community. In other words...grow up.

Stop expecting too much from those that volunteer their time. In addition, your conspiracy theories about the status of the project only hurt your chances of getting what your asking.   

Your berating comments for developers to "show" their current work or suggesting nothing is happening (i.e. developers are lying) is "trolling" IMO.  You are owed nothing to be shown to you...even if it is promised last year and not delivered till the next year.   In my opinion, your constant comments repeating the same demands over and over...are nothing more than entitled whining.  Going forward I will replace "trolling" with "whining" to keep things civil.

Also, the posting of alternatives of Emby Apps (for basic) or Kodi (for advanced needs) will meet all the current NEEDS of any HTPC enthusiast.  So while you WANT something new, to get what is being asked from a feature perspective, everything is available in the current ecosystem (except a product called Emby Theater). 

The Emby team has stated (with my comments):

• That Emby Theater is being worked on (slowly)
  • Their are plenty of options in the meantime.    Every feature requested has a working solution (albeit not called Emby Theater - If you don't like the look or prefer something else, write the solution yourself or go find something better)
  • There was plenty of work being done (like syncing and streaming) delivered over the last year.
  • There is not ETA of a release product.   (Anything provided previously was a best guess at the time, but consider it essentially void if your one of the posters that feel it's a contract).

I really feel this thread has made a strong showing to keep early access to beta apps to paid Emby supporters.   Also, this thread makes me feel developers need to tell forum members less of the roadmap to avoid these whiney threads.

Going forward, let's stop the conspiracy theories and expect every unsupportive comment to slow the VOLUNTEERS wish to work on the project and the overall progress.  Whining about it will not make it go any faster (just the opposite).

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 5

danielpugh

To be fair there are clearly two sides to this. "Trolling" is clearly exaggeration when people are paying supporters of a deserving project. There is clearly a precedent here of promised information and failure to deliver any update or clarity. I think it would be fair to say that here we have an an example of over promising and under-delivering despite the best intentions of all involved. Hopefully this is because of busy schedules etc. At the same time it makes no sense to demand results when relying on volunteers and it takes time to ensure delivery of a quality product.

It is always better to under-promise and over deliver.

Be open and transparent with stakeholders and delays will be understood and forgiven.

The key problem with any project (e.g. Plex ht as a case in point ) is poor communication. This is why many are looking at this project/thread, hoping for a better alternative. Surely this represents (combined with win10) an opportunity to provide a significant step forward.

Why not:

1. Define the project (what is being delivered, not the timescale)

2. Provide the source code on git (transparency + bring in new contributors, maybe even kick start something - isnt that how kodi started... )

If you don't then you are creating and and enforcing (without reason, i am sure), the premise that there are underlying problems that are being ignored. No-one here is trolling, just frustrated at the delays and missed promises while politely requesting the promised update.

Edited by danielpugh
  • Like 1