New version Update

CtrlAlt7

danielpugh

But then wmc wasnt really updated or changed much in 10 years. That kind of stands as a testament to good design. If MS had put a bit more effort in it would be untouchable. As it stands the flaws and lack of development make me glad its been culled as its triggering a big push in this area of software which has been neglected by all.

I respect kodi for how far its come, but not a fan and think it needs a change. I find it quite buggy at times as well. Today subtitles appeared randomly at the same time as the centre channel of sound disappearing. I guess im using too new a version. Currently preferring plex and mbt for useability and stability, with mbt being ahead on features.. Like i say not running kodi down. its just a bit marmite

I will have a blog teaser in the next few days, promise this time. 

In the meantime, have you guys read about using WMC in windows 10?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25191-good-news-wmc-in-windows-10/page-2&do=findComment&comment=249086

It's worth looking at so that you don't have to switch to completely different software while you wait.

Any update? It has been a few days. I'm excited to see something I can look forward to putting on my HTPC's.

Guest asrequested

Ok guys, my apologies for my outburst. So here's what it is for me. Firstly, don't assume I haven't tried the alternatives, Kodi and the like, I have, they are terrible. Not slightly bad but terrible. The reason I used Emby is that it does exactly what I want. I researched into many platforms and the only one I liked, was Media Browser (Emby). I've been using it for years. Truth be told, I guess I've been spoiled. I upgraded to Windows 10 (which I like), so now I can't use WMC, and so I'm using Theater, which I also like, but now in Windows 10, it constantly crashes, and I have to force close it. Luke, my apologies to you too, I just wish this was taken care of. It's not like Windows 10 was a secret release. Is it too much to ask for something that actually works?

techywarrior

No, Windows 10 was not a secret but the complete overhaul of Emby Theater wasn't able to be completed in time due to Emby being written by people in their spare time. Also, the server has been getting a lot of coding time to get it to be feature compareable to the competition.

If the new Emby Theater was released last month it would have been only partly complete and lots of things would not have worked. This would have caused more problems then solved. Devs would spend all their time answering questions or helping people debug a known incomplete program.

I believe a status update will be given within the next week or two so you can see that progress is beingn made. BUT I don't think an actual release is that close yet. It IS being worked on. It WILL be good. You just need to wait and be patient a little longer. In the meantime you can try one of the other clients as a stopgap.

AdrianW

I upgraded to Windows 10 (which I like), so now I can't use WMC,

I stayed on 8.1 specifically so I could continue to use Emby for WMC.

But, have you read this thread: Good news!! wmc in windows 10 - maybe you can WMC working on 10, some EMC users have successfully got it working.

AgileHumor

I've recently jumped from Emby Classic/WMC to Kodi...and loving it. Reason's so far.

• Interface is so much quicker
  • Picture is crisper
  • Can use MCE remotes in Kodi.  You can this use this tool (run as administrator) to change the keys to your liking, for example making '*' for Emby Classic to "ctrl-D" on Kodi so you can quickly mark series as watched or "Play all from here" the way your used to.
  • Home automation integration (security cameras, notifications via easy HTTP API)
  • Faster browsing of PlayOn Content (aka NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu)...that I actually removed the Emby plugin.
  • Volume for MCE remote can now just control Kodi's volume and not the master volume.  MCE was tied to the master volume for some strange reason.
  • Use ServerWMC plugin for Live TV.  It works really well and is as stable as WMC (I don't use CableCard, just HD ClearQAM for basic channels).
  • Did I mention how fast the interface was?

With the Titan Skin, Emby Server Add-On, Emby Server Fast Sync Plugin (Install on Emby Server in Plugin Catalog)...your in for a treat. 

It's not perfect, it crashed a lot during configuration and I also had to rebuild my shortcuts in the skin a few times.

Also, Since Emby Plus was discontinued (at least for now), I was excited to find about Kodi's Smart Playlists that helped my categorize some of my shows.

Since Emby Theater won't have the IP Camera's, Home Automation API's, and Smartlists...I'm in no rush....and urge you to try Kodi if your looking for a excellent client for your HTPC.

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 2

AdrianW

I tried it. It doesn't work.

I must admit I couldn't get it to work either - but there's multiple people who apparently managed to get it working. I'll give it another go this weekend.

billy_ray

I have WMC running on Win10 as well.  I had no issues getting it to work on all 3 of my Win10 machines.  I haven't upgraded my main server to Win10 with WMC yet because the audio isn't configurable yet.  I can't setup 5.1 or 7.1 so its a no go for me until that happens.

Still waiting patiently for Emby Theatre,  I just want something new that does it all and the Emby crew seem to be headed in the direction I am looking for.

I am also in the beta program for the HD Homerun DVR so I am constantly checking this thread and the forums over there for updates.

Edited by bill_ray

pclausen

It is disappointing that after almost a week since Luke stated that he would post a blog "in a couple of days", with some screenshots, we still have nothing.  Fingers crossed that he will find the time this weekend to post something up.

I too would be very interested to play with the new code, in whatever shape it's currently in.

If you check out all of the forum posts that luke gets involved  in, i am surprised that he gets time to eat and sleep let alone anything else. give the bloke a break. it will get here soon enough...

• Like 2

Redshirt

If you check out all of the forum posts that luke gets involved  in, i am surprised that he gets time to eat and sleep let alone anything else. give the bloke a break. it will get here soon enough...

I think users are perfectly justified asking where the client is. Given how long theater has been in limbo and the fact that it's unknown how many people are working on it. Is it just Luke, or is Sean helping. Is Aphid working on it as well etc etc. 

• Like 3

pclausen

Yes, it's free although a lot of us, myself included, are contributes.

That said, I don't think Luke should have stated that he would post of blog "in a few days" thus raising everyone's expectations, and then not following through within the promised time frame.

No, Windows 10 was not a secret but the complete overhaul of Emby Theater wasn't able to be completed in time due to Emby being written by people in their spare time. Also, the server has been getting a lot of coding time to get it to be feature compareable to the competition.

If the new Emby Theater was released last month it would have been only partly complete and lots of things would not have worked. This would have caused more problems then solved. Devs would spend all their time answering questions or helping people debug a known incomplete program.

I believe a status update will be given within the next week or two so you can see that progress is beingn made. BUT I don't think an actual release is that close yet. It IS being worked on. It WILL be good. You just need to wait and be patient a little longer. In the meantime you can try one of the other clients as a stopgap.

I think you guys missed this post.

• Like 1

yardameus

The fact that I'm checking this post means I'm on the same boat as a lot of you.  I really want Emby Theater now.  However, the fact that they haven't prematurely released it gives me hope that when it does arrive, it will be more than I expected.  Also, considering how much Emby in general has evolved, I can't imagine the amount of re-writes that occur because some new feature gets perfected on the server side.  I want it yesterday, but I'd rather be patient than get a half finished product.

• Like 3

danielpugh

so is the source code available?  I'd be intrigued to have a go and see if i can compile it as i have visual studio installed and found some instructions recently.

in parallel im a bit worried that development may have ground to a complete halt as noone seems to know who is working on it.

Aphid's last post was in March - is he still the primary developer?

Just trying to work out what the real status is.  Is there a need to shout out for developers here?

Edited by danielpugh

danielpugh

Cool, glad its in hand. Im not good enough to help much but would like to have a poke about, particularly in relation to plugins (although i think thats probably more relevant to the server).

AgileHumor

Everyone will need to be patient, and there are plenty of alternative clients that work swell and don't cost much at all (Roku, etc).  I understand those of you whom WANT a new version of Theater, I WANT it too, but realistically don't NEED it.  However, If you NEED (or demand) an unreleased product before it's developed, I think your expectations are a bit off.

@@danielpugh You can get the released source @ https://github.com/MediaBrowser/  If you provide regular contributions to the Emby project, in the future, you may be able to get access to work in progress code as an active developer.  As of now, the devs probably don't have time to answer your questions until after it's released anyway. ​

danielpugh

I think thats fair enough. I doubt ill ever make it to the lofty heights, but im going to have a go at seeing if i can put together a plugin.