Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

jluce50

My prediction... "I am Luke..."

He is

You really should put spoiler tags around stuff like this, even if it is speculation. That thought hadn't occurred to me and now it's going to be in the back of my mind through the whole movie and it won't be a big surprise if that turns out to be the case. Not cool.

Edited by jluce50

shorty1483

You really should put spoiler tags around stuff like this, even if it is speculation. That thought hadn't occurred to me and now it's going to be in the back of my mind through the whole movie and it won't be a big surprise if that turns out to be the case. Not cool.

What's wrong with you? I have used spoiler tags in my above post...just forgot to set 3 dots to remark that the spoiler belongs to the sentence "He is..."

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

Edited by shorty1483

Just watched "The Walk" pretty darn good movie... AndI am going to pretend I didn't see any spoilers post above about the new Star Wars.

Can some edit that out??

Edited by chef

shorty1483

Just watched "The Walk" pretty darn good movie... AndI am going to pretend I didn't see any spoilers post above about the new Star Wars.

Can some edit that out??

You cannot see the Spoiler in my Post from 4:06PM yesterday? Deleted post content now  :wacko:  <_<

5673a244c535d_Spoiler.png

Edited by shorty1483

jluce50

What's wrong with you? I have used spoiler tags in my above post...just forgot to set 3 dots to remark that the spoiler belongs to the sentence "He is..."

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

I didn't read the text in the spoiler tags, but you responded to 'My prediction... "I am Luke..."' with "He is"! Is it so hard to see why this appears to be a major spoiler?!

shorty1483

I didn't read the text in the spoiler tags, but you responded to 'My prediction... "I am Luke..."' with "He is"! Is it so hard to see why this appears to be a major spoiler?!

Right, that's why I deleted it completely.

TolkienBard

Having seen Star Wars The Force Awakens now, first in IMAX 3D on a 60' tall screen and second in traditional 2D format I can say that for the first time in a few years now, the anticipation of a big movie did not lead to disappointment. J.J. Abrams respected the source material and made a Star Wars film for Star Wars fans. Like the original trilogy, the story was not terrific, but the visuals were incredible. The musical score by John Williams was once again on point. With one very short exception, the silliness that permeated the prequel trilogy does not show itself here.

As for giving it a score, it is somewhat difficult. This is one of those where the score really does depend on whether or not a person "goes in for" that sort of movie. Unlike Star Wars A New Hope (1977) this movie does not stand on its own as a fantasy space opera.  As I mentioned earlier, it is a Star Wars film for Star Wars fans. Without the base of the original trilogy, this movie almost collapses under the weight of the myth building it is trying to do. Also, the emotional investment in the new characters is not handled terribly well. This however, is because Abrams and company were forced by the material to give proper attention to three characters that in both the movie and popular culture have become legendary icons.

As a movie on its own, I give this probably a low 7, especially since I understand going in that it is the first part of a trilogy, so some of the shortcomings are able to be forgiven. As a continuation of the Star Wars space opera or even just sci-fi style fun summer film I give this a solid 8.5.

Having seen Star Wars The Force Awakens now, first in IMAX 3D on a 60' tall screen and second in traditional 2D format I can say that for the first time in a few years now, the anticipation of a big movie did not lead to disappointment. J.J. Abrams respected the source material and made a Star Wars film for Star Wars fans. Like the original trilogy, the story was not terrific, but the visuals were incredible. The musical score by John Williams was once again on point. With one very short exception, the silliness that permeated the prequel trilogy does not show itself here.

As for giving it a score, it is somewhat difficult. This is one of those where the score really does depend on whether or not a person "goes in for" that sort of movie. Unlike Star Wars A New Hope (1977) this movie does not stand on its own as a fantasy space opera. As I mentioned earlier, it is a Star Wars film for Star Wars fans. Without the base of the original trilogy, this movie almost collapses under the weight of the myth building it is trying to do. Also, the emotional investment in the new characters is not handled terribly well. This however, is because Abrams and company were forced by the material to give proper attention to three characters that in both the movie and popular culture have become legendary icons.

As a movie on its own, I give this probably a low 7, especially since I understand going in that it is the first part of a trilogy, so some of the shortcomings are able to be forgiven. As a continuation of the Star Wars space opera or even just sci-fi style fun summer film I give this a solid 8.5.

This is how I felt. As a Star Wars movie it was a ten, but as a movie in its own only about an 8.5.

thefirstofthe300

Going to see Star Wars Monday night. Looking forward to it...and why did you guys have to throw out the idea that Luke went bad. Dangit. Now I will be stuck with that thought in the back of my mind.

Just finished watching Sicario. As a fan of Emily Blunt, I have to say she did an excellent job. After watching her performance, I feel quite raw emotionally. As I am not at all versed in the drug war in Mexico, I can't speak for the accuracy of the the situation. That being said, Del Toro did a great job telling a story about just how tough I imagine the situation on the border to be. The movie made very little use of dialog and the tension was palpable. Overall I would rate the movie a solid 7.5-8 out of 10.

Brownie points for including Jeffrey Donovan.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I think I will watch Sicario tonight then if it is an 8.5.

Just watching the peanuts remake now. What it is... Can't rate it, it the peanuts for sure... My kid loves it!

Well after seeing Star Wars Force Awakens for the 5th time now I would have to say it is up there with my top Star Wars movies.

Rating 9 out of 10
Number 1: Empire Strikes Back
Number 2: A New Hope

Number 3: Force Awakens

Bottom of the list:  The Prequels

Edited by DigiTM

AgileHumor

Just finished watching Sicario. As a fan of Emily Blunt, I have to say she did an excellent job. After watching her performance, I feel quite raw emotionally. As I am not at all versed in the drug war in Mexico, I can't speak for the accuracy of the the situation. That being said, Del Toro did a great job telling a story about just how tough I imagine the situation on the border to be. The movie made very little use of dialog and the tension was palpable. Overall I would rate the movie a solid 7.5-8 out of 10

Check out the documentaries "Narco Cultura" and ​"Cartel Land" to see how true Sicario is what is happening on the border towns.

Give it an 8 myself.

The Revenant with DiCaprio is kinda.. Wow! Accurate feel for the desperation and brutality of that era. Very good movie. Excellent camera angles, perfect blocking, excellent script. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Daniel Craig is in the new Star Wars movie. He is in a storm trooper costume when Ray "tries" to use the force for the first time. That is not a spoiler by the way.

thefirstofthe300

He is THE storm trooper.  I just looked that up.  Quite interesting.   :)  I wouldn't have thunk it.

And apparently Ewan McGregor and Frank Oz both did voice over cameos in the vision scene.

Edited by thefirstofthe300

dark_slayer

Star Wars bugs me to no end. I'm a huge fan of the story/universe but I've never been a fan of either trilogy. The original was digitally remastered and released to vhs when I was 7, which is when I first experienced the original trilogy from start to finish. Even at that time the visuals were not that impressive to me and the acting was just flat bad throughout. Not particularly faulting the actors, but the direction really. All in all, I watched them thinking a great director and new effects would make it as amazing as I could picture it in my mind. I liked the new trilogy a great deal for the sole fact that it presented a lot of the Jedi ethos very well and the overall directing was much improved with the pace and plot development IMO. It had its lumps, but as a trilogy the original gets way too much praise for way too mediocre of a trilogy by today's standards. The general character dynamics almost make it unwatchable, so all 6 have their lumps if we're really being honest.

I think Abrams is perfect for the spot, but it was too reminiscent of several things I didn't like about the original trilogy for me to enjoy

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

So my review of the SW VII.  Probably best movie of the entire...double trilogy + 1???  Not sure what to call it.  I have to say: Abrams did an AMAZING job with the visuals and keeping the series true to the universe and established mechanics from the original three movies.  (If anybody noticed in the biggest X-Wing maneuver of the movie, he got the S-foil mechanics perfect which honestly surprised me.)  Thankfully, Abrams kept the lens flares to a minimum.  I don't know what the movie would have been if there were Star Trek level lens flares. XD

The story overall seemed a bit familiar but it made up for it in probably some of the best acting of any of the movies.  Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher...the entire cast did a superb job.

I was unsure about that one part but if you do any reading of interviews with JJ, I think his reasoning behind it is solid.  Probably the worst part of the movie was the opening crawl.  I seriously had to think WAY too much to try to understand what it was trying to communicate.  Also, I appreciated a lot of the Easter eggs in the movies that referenced the first movie.

Overall, I would have to say a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, if you like Star Wars and have seen the original trilogy.  Probably an 8 otherwise (for WAY too much storytelling in WAY too little time).

TolkienBard

Star Wars bugs me to no end. I'm a huge fan of the story/universe but I've never been a fan of either trilogy. The original was digitally remastered and released to vhs when I was 7, which is when I first experienced the original trilogy from start to finish. Even at that time the visuals were not that impressive to me and the acting was just flat bad throughout. Not particularly faulting the actors, but the direction really. All in all, I watched them thinking a great director and new effects would make it as amazing as I could picture it in my mind. I liked the new trilogy a great deal for the sole fact that it presented a lot of the Jedi ethos very well and the overall directing was much improved with the pace and plot development IMO. It had its lumps, but as a trilogy the original gets way too much praise for way too mediocre of a trilogy by today's standards. The general character dynamics almost make it unwatchable, so all 6 have their lumps if we're really being honest.

I think Abrams is perfect for the spot, but it was too reminiscent of several things I didn't like about the original trilogy for me to enjoy

Keep in mind that when the original trilogy was created, the special effects employed in many of the scenes were bleeding edge technology. They were so sought after that ILM was spun out of the Star Wars creative process. Of course, many of the scenes look like cheap effects when compared to today's standards, but there is no going back and fixing those without entirely recreating some shots. The digital remasters, where George Lucas cut in new scenes and effects were both good and bad. They improved the ambiance a bit, but overall detracted from the movie (Greedo shooting first among the biggest issues).

The first film was a perfect adaptation of the Joseph Campbell Hero's Journey and was replete with classic literary and cultural archetypes.The second film was by far the best of the series, but unlike its predeceessor, was unable to stand on its own, which is probably its only great knock.

The prequels though, they just stunk. I thought the second was the best of those three as well, but there were still issues throughout that were tough to look beyond. Pretty much everything that had made the original trilogy so strong was missing in the prequels.

TolkienBard

So my review of the SW VII.  Probably best movie of the entire...double trilogy + 1???  Not sure what to call it.  I have to say: Abrams did an AMAZING job with the visuals and keeping the series true to the universe and established mechanics from the original three movies.  (If anybody noticed in the biggest X-Wing maneuver of the movie, he got the S-foil mechanics perfect which honestly surprised me.)  Thankfully, Abrams kept the lens flares to a minimum.  I don't know what the movie would have been if there were Star Trek level lens flares. XD

The story overall seemed a bit familiar but it made up for it in probably some of the best acting of any of the movies.  Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher...the entire cast did a superb job.

I was unsure about that one part but if you do any reading of interviews with JJ, I think his reasoning behind it is solid.  Probably the worst part of the movie was the opening crawl.  I seriously had to think WAY too much to try to understand what it was trying to communicate.  Also, I appreciated a lot of the Easter eggs in the movies that referenced the first movie.

Overall, I would have to say a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, if you like Star Wars and have seen the original trilogy.  Probably an 8 otherwise (for WAY too much storytelling in WAY too little time).

The opening scrawl was poorly drafted. It did a horrible job at establishing the new setting so as to bring the audience up to speed on the new state of affairs. Beyond the very first sentence, the rest of the scrawl is very garbled and really does not at all answer questions as to who the new players on the stage are or why things are now as they seem. They could have expounded a bit on the first sentence and more clearly defined the new situation the galaxy found itself in. That would have been much better and helped make the story make a bit more sense.

That said, at least they did not make the epic miscalculation of eliminating the opening scrawl as there was apparently some discussion of doing. Supposedly there are no plans for one in the upcoming Rogue One movie, but that's fine. The main movies though, they need the classic opening. That's just a must. It's defining characteristic of a Star Wars movie.

dark_slayer

Pretty much everything that had made the original trilogy so strong was missing in the prequels.

On the upside, the couple things that made the original trilogy stink were also missing in the prequels ... They just found a couple new problems along the way

• 4 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

Just watched Man of Steel.

Now I know why everyone was so disappointed.  What a disjointed mess!  Between his backstory being totally absurd (Jonathan Kent not pushing him to be a hero, REALLY!?), the fact that Lois tracks him down in the first forty-five minutes of the movie (again, REALLY!?), the lack of any actual adult Clark Kent until the last two minutes, and the overall absolute destruction caused by his battles (wasn't Superman famed for the lack of destruction that occurred when he got involved?), Christoper Nolan really botched it.  It seemed like Zod had more character development than anyone else in the movie....and he died!  I now have little hope for Superman v. Batman now. :(

xnappo

Yeah Superman vs. Batman is going to be even worse I'm afraid.  But Suicide Squad looks awesome!

thefirstofthe300

Suicide Squad does look good.  I am afraid that the Joker won't be Heath Ledger caliber but the other characters are looking solid so far.  Hardcore comic fans are getting ticked at the Harley Quinn backstory though.  I guess I have a leg up on these comicbook based movies having not read any of the comics.  B)  :P