Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

Well seeing as we all use Media Browser to watch.... errrr... Movies with.

I thought I'd start up a thread, so we can say a few words about any recent movies you have watched and pass thoughts on them, so those sat on the fence regarding a particular film may decide it's worth a shot.

RULES:

1. THERE IS NO FILM CLUB

2. NO SPOILERS

3. GIVE OVERALL EXPERIENCE FELT ABOUT THE MOVIE (how it made you feel)

4. YOU MAY GIVE COMPARISONS TO OTHER MOVIES

5. YOU CAN GIVE THE TYPE OF MOOD YOU CAN BE IN TO WATCH THIS PARTICULAR MOVIE

6. NO SPOILERS

7. GIVE A SCORE OUT OF 10

Ok so I'll start of with a couple.

The Conjuring (2013)

I've always been sceptical about Horrors, they always seem to go too far with gore or end up been down right stupid, well, what a nice turn of events with this movie.  The events are based on a true story(apparently), and the pace is pretty good from start to finish.  Now I'm not one that gets edgey by any means and I'm very thick skinned, however, I have to say that the suspense in this film is bang on the money, it had my arm hairs standing on end quite often and physiologically, its a trickster!! I thoroughly enjoyed being tense throughout the movie and would certainly watch it again. This is how horrors should be made.

8.5/10

Pain & Gain (2013)

What can I say, it was totally not the movie I was expecting to see from the Front Cover..... This is a good thing by the way.  Wahlberg &The Rock play outstanding parts in this movie about 3 body builders who need to make some money.  The balance between the story and the comedy in this is perfect(the comedy would probably be more appealing to the males, not girly girls). It's a thoroughly enjoyable movie from start to finish, with no lulls at all throughout.  For a 2hr 10min movie, it feels more like an hour and a half (Good Right?).  Watch this anyday, anytime and you wont feel disappointed.

8.3/10

• Like 7

JeremyFr79
JeremyFr79

Well seeing as we all use Media Browser to watch.... errrr... Movies with.

I thought I'd start up a thread, so we can say a few words about any recent movies you have watched and pass thoughts on them, so those sat on the fence regarding a particular film may decide it's worth a shot.

RULES:

1. THERE IS NO FILM CLUB

2. NO SPOILERS

3. GIVE OVERALL EXPERIENCE FELT ABOUT THE MOVIE (how it made you feel)

4. YOU MAY GIVE COMPARISONS TO OTHER MOVIES

5. YOU CAN GIVE THE TYPE OF MOOD YOU CAN BE IN TO WATCH THIS PARTICULAR MOVIE

6. NO SPOILERS

7. GIVE A SCORE OUT OF 10

Ok so I'll start of with a couple.

The Conjuring (2013)

I've always been sceptical about Horrors, they always seem to go too far with gore or end up been down right stupid, well, what a nice turn of events with this movie.  The events are based on a true story(apparently), and the pace is pretty good from start to finish.  Now I'm not one that gets edgey by any means and I'm very thick skinned, however, I have to say that the suspense in this film is bang on the money, it had my arm hairs standing on end quite often and physiologically, its a trickster!! I thoroughly enjoyed being tense throughout the movie and would certainly watch it again. This is how horrors should be made.

8.5/10

Pain & Gain (2013)

What can I say, it was totally not the movie I was expecting to see from the Front Cover..... This is a good thing by the way.  Wahlberg &The Rock play outstanding parts in this movie about 3 body builders who need to make some money.  The balance between the story and the comedy in this is perfect(the comedy would probably be more appealing to the males, not girly girls). It's a thoroughly enjoyable movie from start to finish, with no lulls at all throughout.  For a 2hr 10min movie, it feels more like an hour and a half (Good Right?).  Watch this anyday, anytime and you wont feel disappointed.

8.3/10

Sadly you have it mixed up on which of those 2 movies is based on a true story, the conjuring while claiming to be based on a true story is in fact not, like many movies its a tag line used to draw in more viewers, Sadly enough Pain & Gain is in fact based on a true story and events that happened in Florida many years ago.  Both great movies though in my opinion.  For me the conjuring brought back memories of The Amnityville Horror (sadly also claimed to be based on a true story but in fact was not)  Pain & Gain was a great flick but then I sat in astonishment in the realization that much (not all) the events depicted in the film did in fact actually happen.

mboehler
jasonmcroy

"Pain & Gain (2013)

8.3/10"

100% agree- great movie. I lived in Miami from 2002 to May of this year (I just moved to Tampa) and I happened upon South Beach while they were filming part of this movie. I actually saw Wahlberg in the very cool sports car that is near the end of this movie (you will know which one I am talking about).

Anyway, if you get a chance to read the actual story on this, do so, it reads like a fiction novel. When I found out about the movie I read a 5 part article printed in the Miami New Times magazine. Too wild.

Edited by jasonmcroy

Cheesegeezer

@@JeremyFr79

Just to put a point across please note the "(apparently)" in the conjuring review above.  I didn't think it was worth noting that Pain & Gain was a true story as it doesn't add to the film content or the viewers experience. 

Can we have less criticism of my reviews and more reviews???? Derrr

• 11 months later...
techywarrior

Well, I thought this topic was a good idea but it died to soon.

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and thought the movie was pretty good EXCEPT for the ending.

The movie's premise isn't original and the script isn't spectacular but it's a solid, fun action movie. The basic premise of the movie is that the earth has been invaded by an alien life form that is intent on exterminating humanity. Things aren't going well for us humans until Tom Cruise gets the ability to "reset" time while keeping his memory and knowledge of what just happened. Think Groundhog Day with a lot more action and a lot less love story. :)

Special effects are very good and I found the pacing to be solid. At no point did I really feel like it was dragging.

Now, let me get to the major problems. First is the script. Action movies tend to set a low bar for scripts so it's not like this is the worst script in the world. It's just that there is almost no explanation to why the aliens are here, what they are doing, or why. You'd think in a two hour movie 10 minutes could have been given to give a solid explanation.

And then there is the ugly. The ending. WTF. Seriously I'd recommend to anyone who wants to watch the movie to just press stop when you get to the part at the end where Tom Cruise is floating in the water (I don't want to give too much away but you'll know it I think when you see it). Just press stop, walk away, don't be tempted to watch those last 2-3 minutes. Please, your brain will thank you.

If you stop the movie 3 minutes from the end as I suggest I'd rate the movie a 9. If you don't I can't give it more then a 7.

After 90 minutes of showing us that the day gets reset and only the Tom Cruise remembers what happened they end the movie by resetting the day and having all the events of that day actually come to pass. Yet no one remembers it. How does that make any sense? Why would the day reset and the aliens be dead still? They should all be alive!!!

I strongly suspect that in market testing people didn't like a sad ending and they had to quickly make new ending.

• Like 1

I agree completely about the ending techy.  My son and I looked at each other and said "WTF??"  That makes no sense at all!!

Heckler

Well, I thought this topic was a good idea but it died to soon.

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and thought the movie was pretty good EXCEPT for the ending.

The movie's premise isn't original and the script isn't spectacular but it's a solid, fun action movie. The basic premise of the movie is that the earth has been invaded by an alien life form that is intent on exterminating humanity. Things aren't going well for us humans until Tom Cruise gets the ability to "reset" time while keeping his memory and knowledge of what just happened. Think Groundhog Day with a lot more action and a lot less love story. :)

Special effects are very good and I found the pacing to be solid. At no point did I really feel like it was dragging.

Now, let me get to the major problems. First is the script. Action movies tend to set a low bar for scripts so it's not like this is the worst script in the world. It's just that there is almost no explanation to why the aliens are here, what they are doing, or why. You'd think in a two hour movie 10 minutes could have been given to give a solid explanation.

I made the exact same comparison about Groundhog Day in my review over on Trakt, I would even go as far as to say to those watching it... Look carefully at the pacing of the entire movie... Because it's virtually identical.

But I had rather a low opinion of the movie overall... A very bland and uninspired Tom Cruise vehicle... just as bland and uninspiring as every other sci fi movie he does every year for the last decade.

techywarrior

But I had rather a low opinion of the movie overall... A very bland and uninspired Tom Cruise vehicle... just as bland and uninspiring as every other sci fi movie he does every year for the last decade.

I thought his acting was fine. But the script was mediocre.

Cheesegeezer

I only watched Edge of Tomorrow on Saturday and I can't even remember the ending :D

It's ok CBers, it's an age thing ;) it all happens to us one day :lol:

I agree completely about the ending techy.  My son and I looked at each other and said "WTF??"  That makes no sense at all!!

Couldn't agree more, it was like the movie did a 180 and you were watching another film but with the same actors

I thought his acting was fine. But the script was mediocre.

I absolutely loved this movie, I thought it was quite a witty film and cleverly done, and had a really good pace.

CBers

It's ok CBers, it's an age thing ;) it all happens to us one day :lol:

I watched the ending again last night and it sort of made sense.

Heckler

I just watched 'The Giver'

Standard teen type movie, Set in a Utopian future where everyone lives in harmony, where everything is equal and no one desires more... there are no wars, no emotions with daily injections, your life is planned out for you from genetic conception... But when the protagonist is chosen to receive training to have all the knowledge of the past that is unknown to those in the present. His teacher leads him on a path to freeing everyone.

Based on the book... not read it so can't compare... But follows the stereotypical teen against authority plot line that we've seen time and time again... From Hunger Games, through movies like The Host, Divergent and so forth... and the latest one The Maze Runner.

It's not a bad movie as such, but I found the characters lacked depth... and not because they're supposed to be living in a bland and emotionless manner... Just plain old poor acting ability and writing.

Don't get me started on the whole trek journey that the protag goes on.. crossing every type of terrain and season it seems in a matter of minutes without any supplies and a baby in tow...The drama is lacking and the love interest is barely even touched upon. The direction is sub standard to me... however the visual side and cinematography is excellent and the blend of black and white into colour is very nicely done. But I still get the sense that the black and white thing is nothing more than a gimmick so that the younger and more challenged viewers get the plot points quicker.

The whole plot is ripped from a dozen other books, and the movie is too... Not a single original scene/though went into creating this film.

If you want a similar film, but for a more adult audience and with a much harsher backstory to the utopian ideal... and of course some excellent acting and action scenes... Try Equilibrium instead.

If you just want something to keep the pre-teens and early teens amused for 100 mins, then I guess this will suffice.

6/10 and I've given it an extra point because it's not aimed at a male adult but at barely pubescent schoolgirls.  :P

techywarrior

I felt the same way about The Giver, although my girlfriend read the book when she was younger and said the book was much better then the movie (no surprise).

Loved the B&W to color as well. Loved it the first time I saw it in Pleasentville too. And that's a much better film.

shaefurr

I just want to mention this movie, as its the weirdest thing ive ever watched in my life. I mean my standards nowadays are so low its not funny, and I think in my life ive only ever not finished 2 movies I started because they were so bad. But still, I watched, I enjoyed, and I got confused and was like wtf throughout the movie.

eXistenZ

I don't even know where to start, I guess ill start with the plot summary from imdb: A game designer on the run from assassins must play her latest virtual reality creation with a marketing trainee to determine if the game has been damaged.Um, sure I guess that sort of explains the overall plot, though the movie itself is filled with just some damn weird ..stuff. The "virtual reality creation" is like some weird alien sack of living flesh, there's guns made of bones and teeth, random weirdness throughout 90% of the film, and an ending that makes me wonder wtf I just watched and what happened. I dunno, I still found it enjoyable and id watch it again.

I would recommend to watch this movie late at night to truly get a deep sense for how strange it is. Preferably while eating Chinese food, oh yes, this movie makes you VERY hungry.

If you've watched something like Videodrome before, you have an idea of what this might be like.

Almost forgot to rate it! A weird 7/10

Can we name our reviews? If so I shall name this..

Surgical penetration? yes please

Edited by shaefurr

techywarrior

Chef

Jon Favreau back in front of the camera doing a "small budget" film instead of directing summer blockbusters. Great cast and a good script. Not sure on Sophia Vegera as his ex wife tho. Can you imagine them getting together?

A chef who has been stuck in a rut, works all the time, and has no time for his family, has a bit of a melt down and ends up driving a food truck across the country while bonding with his son and falling in love with being a chef all over again.

The story is definitely on the "sunshine and rainbows" side but not entirely sugar coated. At least it's not teeny bopper sweet.

I was enticed to watch it based on the names on the billboard but everyone put in a great performance. And I'm not sure the billboard even fits all the cameos. And don't forget the food. I warn you not to watch before dinner :)

9/10

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 3

TolkienBard

Just press stop, walk away, don't be tempted to watch those last 2-3 minutes. Please, your brain will thank you.

If you stop the movie 3 minutes from the end as I suggest I'd rate the movie a 9. If you don't I can't give it more then a 7.

This is the EXACT reaction I had to the movie, The Ghost Writer (2010) starring Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor. This was a suspense/thriller written, produced, and directed by Roman Polanski. It was well-crafted and the very subtle, under-stated performances were excellent. Then they had to go and stick those last 120 seconds onto the film. It went from a solid 8.5 or so all the way down to a 6.5.

TolkienBard

I felt the same way about The Giver, although my girlfriend read the book when she was younger and said the book was much better then the movie (no surprise).

Loved the B&W to color as well. Loved it the first time I saw it in Pleasentville too. And that's a much better film.

The book was an excellent piece of young adult fiction, finely crafted and well executed. It really is a shame that, despite Bridges, the movie was unable to translate hardly any of that to the screen outside of the drab feeling.

Redshirt

I recently watched Lucy.

The movie could have been better. It could not have been worse.  I love Leon, The Fifth Element, The Transporter and Lockout. I know what I'm getting into when I watch a Luc Besson film. This film was just terrible. The movie is passable as mindless entertainment until it completely falls apart in the last 20 min. I'd give it a 3/10.

• Like 1