Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

WilhelmStroker
Maniac (1934).. Probably one of the weirdest AND oldest movies I've watched. 

The Asphalt Jungle. One of the first heist movies and one of the first with Marilyn Monroe. Pretty good.

The Rules of film noir. BBC documentary about film noir. Pretty interesting and gave me a few ideas of movies to add to my collection.

Driller Killer. Apparently banned in the UK until 1999 but it didn't really do much for me. 

Pleasantly surprised by "Yesterday".  Formulaic, yes but I didn't really have too high expectations and how can you go wrong with Lily James! :D 

• 2 weeks later...
dansblackcat

It's a few years old now (2016) but I absolutely loved 'Sing Street'.  Awesome soundtrack, really nice story and some great young actors.

Really deserves all the great reviews.  Highly recommend!!

adamstewiegreen

Just watched Shoplifters (2018) last night with my wife. Exceptional! It's morally complex and heartbreaking.

Guest asrequested

Avengers: Endgame. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Is it just me, or does anyone else think it was shite? 

chef

Avengers: Endgame. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Is it just me, or does anyone else think it was shite?

LOL! Nah, I liked it. But I like Amazon's The Boys better as a super hero series.

Guest asrequested

LOL! Nah, I liked it. But I like Amazon's The Boys better as a super hero series.

Really? You didn't think it was 2.5 hours of crying and 30 minutes of crappy action? I mean, it's the ultimate superhero battle! It should have been 2.5 hours of mind bending, eye bleeding AWESOMENESS! Instead, we got calls for the wambulance. They totally effed it up! The more I think about it, the more I dislike it.  

WilhelmStroker

Just watched Shoplifters (2018) last night with my wife. Exceptional! It's morally complex and heartbreaking.

I've got that on my watch list as i've heard similar stories from other people who've seen it.

BillOatman

Shoplifters is in Japanese right?  Not big on subtitled movies, but enough people have said this is good so I may need to bend the rule in this case.

WilhelmStroker

Shoplifters is in Japanese right?  Not big on subtitled movies, but enough people have said this is good so I may need to bend the rule in this case.

Yup it's Japanese.

adamstewiegreen

Endgame was what I expected: WAY too long, completely mediocre and a CGI fest where the CGI wasnt even particularly great. Its rotten tomatoes score is mind boggling and proof that the media has been bought by Disney (I listened to a Syfy podcast where the host blatantly admits that he gives Disney films good reviews in the hopes of access to celebs and promos for his show).

Considering how bad Spiderman: Homecoming and Captain Marvel were, I'm done with the MCU. I may checkout the odd one (because Logan, Deadpool and Into the Spider verse were great movies) but over all I have no desire to see anymore Marvel.

And yes, Shoplifters is worth the subtitles (I prefer foreign movies anyway).

Speaking of foreign language films I also recently watched The Insult, which was ok but a bit ruined by its requirement for more than a little understanding of Lebanese culture and history (which I definately don't have).

WilhelmStroker

Recently watched these..

Tombs of the blind dead. Pretty atmospheric zombie horror with a great soundtrack.
Eegah. Apparently one of the worst movies ever made. Yup. Not good.
She's just a shadow. Possibly one of the worst things I've seen in a long time. Unpleasant misogynistic crap.
Louder! I can't hear what you're singing WIMP. This was good weird Japanese fun. 
The Creeping Terror. Another one of the worst movies ever made. Yup, worse than most of what Ed Wood has done. Apparently they lost the soundtrack so most of the movie is narrated....
Devil Girl From Mars. Yet another one. Slightly better than the others.

(I should really stop reading this book about the Razzies..)

BillOatman

Endgame was what I expected: WAY too long, completely mediocre and a CGI fest where the CGI wasnt even particularly great. Its rotten tomatoes score is mind boggling and proof that the media has been bought by Disney (I listened to a Syfy podcast where the host blatantly admits that he gives Disney films good reviews in the hopes of access to celebs and promos for his show).

*** Potential Spoilers ***

Overall I'd give it a 7.5.  I will say though that after an hour I took a look at how much was left, when it said two hours I couldn't believe I had only watched an hour so far. VERY slow.   I get that they were setting the table for some things to come later, but they could have easily cut that to 30 minutes with no loss. 

What I can't figure out is what they did and didn't announce for the next 2 years.  Coming are black widow, dr. strange, Thor, goddess of thunder with tiny little natalie portman, falcon, loki, and hawkeye.  I can't drum up any interest in any of them.  And the one I thought they were setting up for sure that might be interesting, and apparently aren't (at least not yet) is off of the ironman line.  With Stark and Potts having a daughter, Stark dying, Potts appearing in the final fight scene in a suit of some kind for apparently no reason, happy befriending the daughter at the end, and Marvels apparent predisposition to having as many female leads as possible, I thought for sure that a spinoff involving starks daughter (IronWoman??) was in the works.  But nothing announced that I have seen.

I grabbed Shoplifter and [hopefully the correct] subtitle file :)

Edited by BillOatman

Guest asrequested

They just put way too much focus on the crying stuff. They needed to put on their big boy pants and let's do this! I watched the battle again last night, and as soon as it ended, I cringed and pressed stop.

BillOatman

They just put way too much focus on the crying stuff. They needed to put on their big boy pants and let's do this! I watched the battle again last night, and as soon as it ended, I cringed and pressed stop.

*** More Potential Spoilers ***

The one that had me scratching my head in that battle was when captain marvel grabbed the glove with the stones ... then tried to *run* through all of the bad guys, when she just got done *flying* through and destroying a ship :)

I guess with all superhero movies there is some measure or turning off your brain required, but really? :)

adamstewiegreen

Yeah, they made an absolute mess of it. There's one massive plot hole/mistake, but I suspect it's also in the comics (I've never read them). I can't say what it is, because that would be a huge spoiler. For me, the script was a spoiler And yes I agree, a lot of the CGI was surprisingly bad. They were handed what was potentially the biggest movie of a generation, and they totally effed it! I'm hoping the director's cut is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

There is one scene where they CGI'd a face on to a very necessary double and it was so bad it was distracting.  Also, Thanos has always looked more cartoon than real.

*** Potential Spoilers ***

Coming are black widow, dr. strange, Thor, goddess of thunder with tiny little natalie portman, falcon, loki, and hawkeye.  I can't drum up any interest in any of them.  And the one I thought they were setting up for sure that might be interesting, and apparently aren't (at least not yet) is off of the ironman line.

How did they not give Black Widow a movie 6 years ago?  Anyway, out of all those, Hawkeye is the only one I have any interest in because one of the first comics I ever read was hawkeye, and it was a brilliant mix of his superhero life interfering with his personal life interfering with his superhero life.  Then I discovered that that kind of writing and story in comics is virtually none existent - even in hawkeye - and stopped reading after about a year of wondering what the big deal was.  Overrated was the deal, apparently)  But I won't see any of them now, because Marvel/Disney.

*** More Potential Spoilers ***

The one that had me scratching my head in that battle was when captain marvel grabbed the glove with the stones ... then tried to *run* through all of the bad guys, when she just got done *flying* through and destroying a ship :)

I guess with all superhero movies there is some measure or turning off your brain required, but really? :)

The thing that confused me about that scene was when all the female superheros come together and are like "We've got her back!" and 2 seconds later (no exaggeration) Captain Marvel goes for it and none of them actually help her.  Not only is it terrible, cringe inducing writing but women should be somewhat insulted by the obvious pandering and virtue signalling.

BillOatman

Yeah, they made an absolute mess of it. There's one massive plot hole/mistake, but I suspect it's also in the comics (I've never read them). I can't say what it is, because that would be a huge spoiler. For me, the script was a spoiler And yes I agree, a lot of the CGI was surprisingly bad. They were handed what was potentially the biggest movie of a generation, and they totally effed it! I'm hoping the director's cut is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

My kids tell me there is a extended cut with 2 additional scenes ;)

Guest asrequested

My kids tell me there is a extended cut with 2 additional scenes ;)

You know what the truly awful thing about that is? ..... I'm going to have to watch it  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:

BillOatman

You know what the truly awful thing about that is? ..... I'm going to have to watch it  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:

Not me.  I'll watch the deleted scenes on youtube or something ;)