Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

jhevener

Hunger Games and Twilight. God, is it only me or is the target audience for this so young that I simply cannot relate. I despise these two franchises so much that I have watched as much as I could stomach in the first of each series and turned it off and never looked back. Both my twenty something daughters love them and their Mom (my ex.) always goes to the premieres with them and appears to like them. I really feel the generational gap on these. Is it only me? 

Edited by jhevener

thefirstofthe300

I'm nineteen (will turn twenty in a couple months). I have never really liked vampire related shows so I really hate the concept of Twilight. Never seen it but hate the concept. As for The Hunger Games, I read the first book and got about 30 paragraphs in on the second and got bored.  ;) Am planning on watching the movies just cause...doubt they will really floor me though.

So no it isn't just you.  :)  :P

jhevener

I'm nineteen (will turn twenty in a couple months). I have never really liked vampire related shows so I really hate the concept of Twilight. Never seen it but hate the concept. As for The Hunger Games, I read the first book and got about 30 paragraphs in on the second and got bored.  ;) Am planning on watching the movies just cause...doubt they will really floor me though.

So no it isn't just you.  :)  :P

Thanks bud...  :)

Heckler

I was over visiting the folks for Easter and was channel hopping Sunday night after everyone had gone to bed... and found Johnny Mnemonic on the SyFy channel here in the UK.  Hadn't seen it since the mid nineties when It was made, so I gave it a watch.

Kinda poor and laughable really... but when looking at it in a retro way it's kinda camp and so over the top that it's sort of funny and watchable.  Sure it's low budget sci-fi, and Keanu Reeves does his usual wooden performance... But a couple of faces popped up that I didn't know (or remember) were in it. Henry Rollins and Ice T for example along with Dina Meyer.

I'd give it 6/10 mainly for it's camp and over the top bad guys qualities that make it amusing.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

"cake 2014" and "my old lady (2014)"...ok dramas about a mother coming to terms with a death of child and an unusal take on parental infidelity from the eyes of grown up children (50yr old adults)....worth a watch if you like your dramas slow and meandering....6.5/10,,,,

dark_slayer

Hunger Games and Twilight. God, is it only me or is the target audience for this so young that I simply cannot relate. I despise these two franchises so much that I have watched as much as I could stomach in the first of each series and turned it off and never looked back. Both my twenty something daughters love them and their Mom (my ex.) always goes to the premieres with them and appears to like them. I really feel the generational gap on these. Is it only me? 

Early thirties, didn't care for twilight series at all. My wife (two years younger) loved the shit out of it and still rewatches them from time to time

Hunger Games on the other hand, we both enjoy. The part 1 a few months back was overdrawn and should not have split into two, but I still had many great movie-going memories for all three so far. Revolution, propaganda, sinister plots, etc that's certainly my cup of tea, so I enjoy the series very much. I think Hoffman is a fantastic choice, and was very sad to see him pass away. I love him in a large number of roles, especially Charlie Wilson's War. Other acting spots are good as well (Stanley Tucci, Liz Banks, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz, Donald Sutherland), too much awkward JLaw screen time was definitely the criticism I'd give to part 1. The other characters are much more interesting and fun. I think sometimes a small snowball of misguided criticism ends up turning into an avalanche

too much awkward JLaw screen time was definitely the criticism I'd give to part 1. 

One more close-up shot of her crying and I think I was gonna throw up...  :P

• Like 2

fantaxp7

I haven't yet seen the last Hunger Games but I agree they are entertaining. I am a bit hesitant only because of the rating is lower than the last film. 

shaefurr

Watched Last Knights yesterday. And wow, the trailer made it look like a typical sword action movie, but it was amazingly slow except for the first 5 minutes and the last 30. Not a bad movie I kinda enjoyed it, but its just dull and a tad boring. Maybe a good 1 time watch, but expect a slow movie not an action.

I understand why the middle is so slow, since they're showing how he slowly became an alcoholic and gave up everything over the course of a year, but I really think they should have trimmed it down from over an hour to just 30 minutes. The overall idea of the knights planning that for a year and all the shit he goes through though is pretty badass.

shaefurr

Just saw Furious 7, Just what you would expect from the F&F movies, if you liked any of the other 6 (maybe Tokyo Drift not included in there :P) you'd like it. Be prepared for some tears at the end though, ill admit im a 33 year old guy and I was struggling to watch the end. RIP Paul.

Don't want to ruin the ending completely, but there's a nice montage of Paul Walker from all the films going to the song See You Again by Whiz Khalifa, and I don't think they could have chosen a better ending than him driving off into the sunset. Great ending, but very sad.

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Saw Furious 7 Saturday night

I realized talking with my cousin last week that there are people who only watched the first couple of the series and then stopped altogether

I personally thought 2 was the worst of all (though mostly redeemed by Eva Mendes being cast in it ;) ) but I could see how it would be less than exciting if you have only ever seen 1 and 2, or even the first three

When you consider the time that the first one was made and it's comparisons, it was a good start and not something they expected to be a franchise you wouldn't think. The 4th and 5th were both quite good I thought

They of course get over-the-top campy with the stunts, but the quality has gotten very good even at the hand-to-hand stuntmen scenes. Comparable to what you'd see from the expendables (which I also consider top of the line -- they get over the top and campy with the action there as well)

At some point, when you pack that much action into movies . . . it's fun just to see them occasionally make fun of themselves with how over the top it is in some scenes. Several scenes I just laughed rather. If I was 7 or 8 years old I would have thought wowwww. I think they did a good job finishing out the series (assuming this finishes it out ;) )

thefirstofthe300

I think they did a good job finishing out the series (assuming this finishes it out ;) )

Sadly, I wish they were finishing the series. I haven't seen Furious 7 yet (definitely going to though). I have heard from serveral places that Vin Diesel is wanting to do another three movies, the first of which will be set in NYC. :/

I also agree with you that the franchise has gotten better using the same vein the the Expendables tapped in to. So over-the-top that it is great.

My question is why? The send off of Paul seems like it should end the series for them.

Heckler

I watched Jupiter Ascending recently...  it's a bit of a mess.

The story is weak, the acting very poor from most of the cast and the special effects were so over the top that it looked pretty bad... and there was this over riding air of campness to the whole film... without it being intentionally camp

4/10

dark_slayer

Sadly, I wish they were finishing the series. I haven't seen Furious 7 yet (definitely going to though). I have heard from serveral places that Vin Diesel is wanting to do another three movies, the first of which will be set in NYC. :/

I also agree with you that the franchise has gotten better using the same vein the the Expendables tapped in to. So over-the-top that it is great.

My question is why? The send off of Paul seems like it should end the series for them.

Wow, I hadn't heard that at all. They didn't have ending teasers hinting anything like they did with 5 and 6.

I get so annoyed with Michelle Rodriguez. If they could somehow bring Gal Gadot back from the dead or focus on Elsa Pataky instead and re-kill-off Rodriguez character I'd be fine. If the ensemble shrinks all the way down to something like Diesel and Rodriguez, I might not even watch it

Lol, @@shaefurr . . . same here. Early thirties at the movie with my wife struggling to hold back tears for the end, RIP

Ending the movie after that where his car forked and the credits actually start (video stopped) with him disappearing over the mountain into the sunset, good choice on that scene

Edited by dark_slayer

Good day,

I watch the The Gambler (2014) last night, normally I do not skip scenes when watching a movie, but I did with this one, since the action been repeating time after time, gamble, lost all, keep owning others, and get hits.

I rate this one 1 of scale of 10.

Personal view tho.

My best

shaefurr

Can you just go see it now? sure, but all the backstory in the previous movies would make it a lot more enjoyable. I'd recommened you watch them first, even the 3rd(tokyo drift) which at the time it came out had none of the original cast or nothing to do with first 2 films ends up tieing in to this film. Plus the movies focus a lot on their "family", so without seeing the others you won't get any of that either.

My recommendation: wait till you seen the others.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 2

Heckler

The first 3 F&F movies are pretty bad and were single handedly responsible for some of the disgusting car modification trends of the early 200's... you can easily skip over those... or at least the 2nd and 3rd without missing anything really.

1st gets 5/10, 2nd gets 3/10 and 3rd gets 2/10 from me.

The 4th wasn't much better, but at least it was starting to show the trend they followed in subsequent movies... over the top action with little in the way of decent plot or great acting. 5/10

The 5th was actually quite enjoyable, they finally seemed to find the balance between over the top action and not quite so ridiculous plots. Some of the action sequences were quite memorable for example. 7/10

The 6th took it too far again and whilst better than 2-3, it's only on par with the 4th instalment IMO   5/10

If the 7th follows the trend of the 5th it should be enjoyable... But it's not a film I would ever consider watching at the cinema nor purchasing on blu-ray.  But I'd stream it on netflix or something like that if I was in the mood.

Now for the reason I quoted the bit above.

F&F have managed to tap into the over the top action sequences in a way that the Expendables wished they could... The expendables are some of the worst movies ever made in my opinion, just utterly pathetic movies... the act like they're playing it tongue in cheek and deliberately going over the top... But that's not how it comes across and I pray that they all just quietly stop attempting to make these kinds of action movies ever again.

Also... you could argue that the Expendables simply copied from the F&F franchise not the other way round.  Both types of movies are inspired by the likes of Japan/Korean cinema and the attempts Western film makers to emulate them... think the transporter movies, shoot em up and so forth.

Edited by Heckler

thefirstofthe300

The first 3 F&F movies are pretty bad and were single handedly responsible for some of the disgusting car modification trends of the early 200's... you can easily skip over those... or at least the 2nd and 3rd without missing anything really.

1st gets 5/10, 2nd gets 3/10 and 3rd gets 2/10 from me.

The 4th wasn't much better, but at least it was starting to show the trend they followed in subsequent movies... over the top action with little in the way of decent plot or great acting. 5/10

The 5th was actually quite enjoyable, they finally seemed to find the balance between over the top action and not quite so ridiculous plots. Some of the action sequences were quite memorable for example. 7/10

The 6th took it too far again and whilst better than 2-3, it's only on par with the 4th instalment IMO 5/10

If the 7th follows the trend of the 5th it should be enjoyable... But it's not a film I would ever consider watching at the cinema nor purchasing on blu-ray. But I'd stream it on netflix or something like that if I was in the mood.

Now for the reason I quoted the bit above.

F&F have managed to tap into the over the top action sequences in a way that the Expendables wished they could... The expendables are some of the worst movies ever made in my opinion, just utterly pathetic movies... the act like they're playing it tongue in cheek and deliberately going over the top... But that's not how it comes across and I pray that they all just quietly stop attempting to make these kinds of action movies ever again.

Also... you could argue that the Expendables simply copied from the F&F franchise not the other way round. Both types of movies are inspired by the likes of Japan/Korean cinema and the attempts Western film makers to emulate them... think the transporter movies, shoot em up and so forth.

You raise some good points.

However, I disagree with your statement that you can skip the third movie and understand what is going on in Furious 7. From my understanding F&F 3 is occurring at the same time as F&F 6 with the characters in 3 finally tying into this installment.

shaefurr

You are correct sir, the end(ish) of F&F3 takes place at the beginning of this one.

To explain further, without spoiling anything, there are events that occur in F&F 3 that have more going on that what is shown. Those scenes are extended and revealed in the 7th film.

And actually the character Han from F&F 3 was also in 4-7. So technically they tied in that character right away. Though the overall plot of the movie doesn't tie in until the 7th.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

dark_slayer

I think Fast Five was my favorite as well

Also... you could argue that the Expendables simply copied from the F&F franchise not the other way round.  Both types of movies are inspired by the likes of Japan/Korean cinema and the attempts Western film makers to emulate them... think the transporter movies, shoot em up and so forth.

Got to disagree about the expendables. I'm not sure about the talk "around" the release, but from the perspecitve of the movie alone . . . the first didn't seem like it intended to start anything. It just so happened to do well and a lot of people had fun watching it. In a lot of ways, with the exception of Statham, I thought of the first one as simply a way for a lot of iconic action guys to do an action movie with special effects the way they would have liked them to be in some of those iconic roles they stared in. There is just no argument against how ridiculously good effects/sound/stunts have gotten these days for the average audience member. Audio and video fidelity isn't perfect yet, but it's so much closer to reality than it was even just 15 years ago. The irony is that while the "appearance" is closer to reality, the reality is farther and farther away. More cgi and cgi-assisted effects, but when done well . . . who cares? I like for movies to be able to let me leave reality from time to time.

That being said, after the success of number one the expendables 2 and 3 really started going heavy tongue in cheek. I get a kick out of it, but at the same time I can see how it would annoy a fan of original titles that don't constantly pay homage to what came before them and stand on their own originality and performances. As far as I'm concerned, I appreciate quality whether or not it accompanies original and enjoyable plots. For example, I could appreciate Mayweather's craft in a boxing match whether it was competitive, parody/educational, or rehearsed/scripted for a movie, etc

Heckler

Got to disagree about the expendables. I'm not sure about the talk "around" the release, but from the perspecitve of the movie alone . . . the first didn't seem like it intended to start anything. It just so happened to do well and a lot of people had fun watching it. In a lot of ways, with the exception of Statham, I thought of the first one as simply a way for a lot of iconic action guys to do an action movie with special effects the way they would have liked them to be in some of those iconic roles they stared in. There is just no argument against how ridiculously good effects/sound/stunts have gotten these days for the average audience member. Audio and video fidelity isn't perfect yet, but it's so much closer to reality than it was even just 15 years ago. The irony is that while the "appearance" is closer to reality, the reality is farther and farther away. More cgi and cgi-assisted effects, but when done well . . . who cares? I like for movies to be able to let me leave reality from time to time.

That being said, after the success of number one the expendables 2 and 3 really started going heavy tongue in cheek. I get a kick out of it, but at the same time I can see how it would annoy a fan of original titles that don't constantly pay homage to what came before them and stand on their own originality and performances. As far as I'm concerned, I appreciate quality whether or not it accompanies original and enjoyable plots. For example, I could appreciate Mayweather's craft in a boxing match whether it was competitive, parody/educational, or rehearsed/scripted for a movie, etc

That sounds an awful lot like a passive aggressive insult to me... I could give a rats arse about what came before. I care that the plot is reasonable and tolerable, that the acting is decent enough give the low starting point of the majority of the cast and that the effects are done well. I also factor in dialogue, direction, lighting and cinematography for example... as any real movie fan would (see I can do passive aggressive too  :P )

The first expendables did kinda meet those criteria to a degree... But the 2nd and 3rd were just utter shite, bad acting, bad writing, bad directing, bad CGI and SFX, laughable plots... I cannot think of a single thing to redeem them what so ever... I mean the 2nd one didn't even have a Mickey Rourke cameo, just more of the terrible Charisma Carpenter... Only Terry Crews acted above his station in both 2 and 3... but he's relegated to little more than a cameo anyway... Shame, he's the best actor out of the lot of them. As for the 3rd... take the 2nd one and make it 50 times worse, more ridiculous, more laughable, worse acting, worse writing... if not for Adam Sandler and his yearly release of the Razzies winner... these would surely have been contenders for worst film of the year.

But let's face it... most of what comes out of the mainstream US is Superhero movies, romantic comedies and action movies.

dark_slayer

That sounds an awful lot like a passive aggressive insult to me...

Nah, let's just call it what it is. Agreeing to disagree ;)

• Like 1