Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

• 1 month later...
JeremyFr79

Watched Passengers tonight in 4K, Good movie, great if you really wanna see what 4K can do which is saying alot, we watched Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk the other night in 4K HFR HDR and it looked "hyper real" which made it more distracting than anything (and the movie wasn't that good)  and I thought it looked good and definitely showed off the full capabilities of our TV, but I would choose Passengers over it to show off the set to others.

Diedrich

we watched Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk the other night in 4K HFR HDR and it looked "hyper real" which made it more distracting than anything

Off-topic:

Turn off settings such as smoothing and anything else that gives artificial refresh rates. Basically, if the setting is a non-standard industry buzz word, then you should turn that setting off.

There are several sites out there with TV settings suggestions to give you the best picture for your TV. I don't remember them offhand but some basic Googlefu with your "[TV model number] best settings" should point you in the right direction.

Edited by dvgmar

JeremyFr79

Off-topic:

Turn off settings such as smoothing and anything else that gives artificial refresh rates. Basically, if the setting is a non-standard industry buzz word, then you should turn that setting off.

There are several sites out there with TV settings suggestions to give you the best picture for your TV. I don't remember them offhand but some basic Googlefu with your "[TV model number] best settings" should point you in the right direction.

Yeah I don't use any of those, but with BLLHW it's filmed at 120fps, which is then downed to 60 for home playback, but it's still weird looking I didn't like how it looked at all.

• 2 weeks later...
xnappo

M. Night Shyamalan is definitely back in form with 'Split'.  If you were ever a fan, watch it!

JeremyFr79

M. Night Shyamalan is definitely back in form with 'Split'.  If you were ever a fan, watch it!

FACT! wife and I watched it this weekend and it was great,  I'm happy to see he's finally keeping his word.

Blueeyiz702

The Fate of The Eight was Awesome. Another Billion Dollar Blockbuster! Lots of Action as always and as always never dull. Made me want to run outside jump in my VR6 Passat

and stomp on it! And then i woke up, i'm driving VolkPar not Mopar,Ugh FML! Then i said,i got plenty of plenty of music to make it all better! Touch Screen Pioneer Dvd with 4 10in Rockford Fosgates Subs and 1 1000 watt monster amp and one 500 watt amp both rockford fosgate.

And a Kodi/Emby system playing it all.

58f1c0ac31a39_4RockfordFosgate10inSubs.j58f1c0b8b2dde_TouchScreen.jpg

• 1 month later...
Jdiesel

Anyone have any recommendations for movies with a good Atmos audio track? Just tested out my new Atmos setup last night with Mad Max: Fury Road and was blown away. Now I'm on the hunt for some others as most lists or recommendations I've found date back to 2015.

• 2 weeks later...
Waldonnis

Anyone have any recommendations for movies with a good Atmos audio track? Just tested out my new Atmos setup last night with Mad Max: Fury Road and was blown away. Now I'm on the hunt for some others as most lists or recommendations I've found date back to 2015.

Mad Max: Fury Road is hands-down the best Atmos track that I've heard outside of a demo track, so it's going to be hard to top that.  I've heard good things about the Atmos tracks on Logan (4k), John Wick, and Batman vs. Superman (mostly the action scenes in this one), but I haven't personally heard them on a proper Atmos speaker setup.  Sadly, my audio setup is in a woeful state since I moved into this tiny condo with weirdly-angled walls and concrete ceiling, so I can't check out some of my newer movies to see how they compare.

swhitmore

Watched a few movies recently and thought I'd do short takes on each.

Despicable Me 3: Took my 3yo daughter to watch this. She loved it. I was pretty disappointed. Even as an adult, I loved the first 2 movies, and this one just didn't seem to capture any of the brilliant and funny moments that made the others a hit.

Fast and the Furious 8: Pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The movie was fine. I think it's definitely lost the appeal from the first ones, and you can probably watch the trailer to get the whole story line. However, if you're looking to spend 2 hours watching fast cars, gun, girls. and explosions, then this is not a bad way to do it. Sometimes that's all you need from a movie.

Beauty and the Beast: One of my favourite movies of the last year, and I was not expecting it at all. I was never a huge Disney fan as a kid, and my favourites were more like The Lion King and Aladdin. This movie still managed to bring out so much nostalgia in me. They nailed everything about this movie. It stayed true to the original, while still appealing to an adult audience.

The Great Wall: Terrible movie, stay away. They spent all their effort getting Matt Damon to star, and forgot they had to make a movie.

Logan: Loved it. I'm a huge X-Men fan, and I'm going to miss Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. I loved that it was very character driven. I feel like X-Men is really the only superhero series that still cares about characters (I haven't watched Wonder Women yet). 

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Blueeyiz702

All i can say about Wonder Women,is i never what to meet that &^%$# in a Dark Alley! :o

Diedrich

All i can say about Wonder Women,is i never what to meet that &^%$# in a Dark Alley! :o

WW: decent movie, WAY too much Chris Pine! I felt like the movie became all about him. That's where they lost the "wonder" for me (pun intended).

Baby Driver: Fantastic movie! despite being extremely predictable - a plot line I've seen a dozen times before.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Blueeyiz702
Avengers: Infinity War 

First time i ever saw the Avengers get The Smackdown Put on there Candy Asses,haha. Thanos and his Goons just dismantled the Avengers!! 

• 5 months later...
adamstewiegreen

The Apu Trilogy has been on my 'to watch list' for a number of years but with 3 kids and a wife who isn't keen on foreign cinema stalled me from getting around to watching them.  Then when the recent Simpsons "scandal" about Apu brought to light that Apu is actually named after the character in these films - well, now I had to watch it.

They are fantastic.  Poignant and beautifully shot they remind me of something from Goddard or Truffaut, Ray here had created something like Indian neo-realism.   Highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...
jachin99

Just finished Ready Player One, and everyone liked it including the wife who hates most games and 80s movies.  The visual and sound effects were really cool, and there were a ton of pop culture references from the 80s and 90s.  It really wasn't as cheezy as we thought it would be, and it does a good job of holding your attention

• 1 month later...
adamstewiegreen

I just watched Mandy.  It's pretty great for those who like revenge and horror movies.  There is an epic chain saw fight scene which is worth the price of admission.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
adamstewiegreen

Recently I've watched:

Into Great Silence

Overlord

Breath

Lone Wolf and Cub

Creed 2

I would recommend all of them to a certain degree, but Into Great Silence and Lone Wolf and Cub are the top two on the list, IMO.

• 3 months later...
adamstewiegreen

I've been watching Westerns as of late. 3:10 to Yuma (both versions), My Darling Clementine, and A fistful of dollars - among others.

But the standout was one I actually didn't know about - the sequel to A Fistful of Dollars- For a Few More Dollars. It's a great western! I was pleasantly surprised.

Next is the last in the trilogy The good, the bad and the ugly.

• 2 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

If anyone here is like me and love classic, foreign, or rare cinema then you should check out criterionchannel.com. the apps/options leave something to be desired but the film content is like nothing you'll find on any other streaming site or your local video rental kiosk (or shop - if it still exists.

And speaking of streaming sites I finally watched Spectral on Netflix. Thoroughly underwhelming, and I hated the ending.

WilhelmStroker

Sadly not yet available in the UK but I'll likely sign up once available as it's right up my street.

I watched Hellraiser:judgment. The first 2 or 3 are great but they should have stopped after that... They're awful.