Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

Heckler

Watched Voices last night, starring Ryan Reynolds, Gemma Arterton, Anna Kendrick

Whilst it's not a film I'd give a high score too, it does provide a more than watchable experience. Ryan Reynolds is particularly good as Jerry and he steps outside of his usual, romcom/action wise cracking type. Anna Kendrick gives her usual decent performance whilst Gemma Arterton seems to have improved over past films I've seen her in.

There are a few comedic moments, but it's more dark comedy than anything else... and that's something that really appeals to us Brits I think, we do that type of comedy better than anyone else. So this film appeals but doesn't reach the expectations that I would have. If I wanted to compare it to anything else, I would say it's in the same vein as Tucker and Dale Vs Evil... a movie that I rate very highly and is my second all time fave comedy horror after Army of Darkness

In my opinion, it's worth watching, I wouldn't say it's worth repeat watching more than once though... I felt that after seeing it in it's entirety, there was no repeat value in the plot. Something I factor in to my overall scores.

So I'm giving it a 6/10, but don't let that dissuade you from seeing it,

Heckler

You raise some good points.

However, I disagree with your statement that you can skip the third movie and understand what is going on in Furious 7. From my understanding F&F 3 is occurring at the same time as F&F 6 with the characters in 3 finally tying into this installment.

I wonder if this was done as a way to pad out the movie after Paul Walkers death. I know they had to do some major rewrites and plot changes after they decided to carry on.

shaefurr

I wonder if this was done as a way to pad out the movie after Paul Walkers death. I know they had to do some major rewrites and plot changes after they decided to carry on.

Possible, but at the credits of F&F 6 they already showed part of F&F 3 and what happened to Han, so they already had plans to link that movie with the others before they even started on this one. But ya they did have a major rewrite after Paul's passing. Curious what the original script was.

Also just watched Jupiter Ascending, and eh. 2 hours of CGI. Great looking movie, but they crammed way to much story in.

• Like 1

xnappo

Yep - I had high hopes for Jupiter Ascending, but it was a train wreck.  Needed to be a TV series :)

jhevener

By the way, this thread should be pinned! maybe even a whole "General" area put aside for FILM CLUB.

... First rule of Film Club: Pin the Thread for FILM CLUB @@Luke   

Micheal Bay! Ka-Boom!

It would be good to have a sub-forum for Films/TV/Media. Threads could then be devoted to specific titles/series/genres. It does get to be quite a PITA to have to scroll though lots of pages. I can see this one growing out of control rather fast.

Edited by jhevener

ScottIsAFool

Yep - I had high hopes for Jupiter Ascending, but it was a train wreck.  Needed to be a TV series :)

My friend said it was terrible. I just replied to him with: (in Trailer voice): "from the directors that brought you the two Matrix sequels you wish you'd never seen, comes..."

• Like 1

chef

Here is some really cool stuff. Tom Waits was the Joker the whole time! Man Heath ws a great actor! This proves it:

Edited by chef

Heckler

I watched Chappie last night.

In some ways it's a really good film and in others it's a really poor film... I enjoyed it in spite of the very poor performances of some of the cast... I found the two members of Die Antwood (Yolandi & Ninja) excruciatingly painful to watch... With barely a decent scene involving them in the entire movie.

Sharlto Copley as Chappie was excellent though but both Hugh Jackman and Dev Patel failed to shine... and Sigourney Weaver was hardly in the film and spoke perhaps a dozen lines.

The rest of the cast were either way over the top, or drastically under performed.

Which is a shame... because the theme of the movie was pretty decent and the effects were very good. But Hugh Jackman and his *cough ED209 cough* Robot as the movies antagonist really didn't work for me at all.

The film jumped around, there was far too much exposition in the beginning and the time given to Dev Patel's character creating the AI was speedily done in a couple of mins...

It had so much potential, and in the end was kind of a let down... a sad 6/10 from me.

Heckler

I saw  Avengers: Age of Ultron  in IMAX 3D a few days ago...

No spoilers... just a very big grin on my face as I left.

It's exactly what you wanted from the franchise, an almost non stop rollercoaster ride with a fairly decent plot, great performances all round... humour by the bucket load and just a well rounded superhero action movie.

Now bear in mind that I hate 3D movies... and I was really pissed of that the only way to see in IMAX was in 3D because they refused to release a 2D version.  It's this kind of bullshit marketing that really pisses me off. It's nothing more than a marketing/PR stunt to skew veiwing figures in favour of 3D so they can continue to charge more for ticket prices... whilst spouting the bollocks about 3D is a huge success.  When the reality of the situation here in the UK is that when there are 2D and 3D versions of the same film shown side by side (and I mean given the same treatment in showing times and so forth)... 2D wins out everytime.  3D only wins when they schedule showing times for 2D during the day and rarely in the evening... So a majority of people have no choice.

The 3D in A:AOU was OK... there were some very ropey scenes when CGI looked really bad, many scenes when you could tell that the actors were in front of a green screen and then a backdrop placed in the scene... focus, lighting and distance seemed off to me... and then there were many scenes where items came in front of the actors in scenes as the camera panned across and they seemed to wobble in the frame.

It's stuff like that that annoys me about 3D... when it looks like there are layers to the image rather than real depth.

OK... rant over against 3D movies... and onto the rating.

I'm giving it 9/10

dark_slayer

I also saw A:AoU in 3D as well as the first one in 3D. The first one kind of shocked me with the fact that 3D wasn't horrible (which is what I expected). This time perhaps I went in with higher expectations, or they changed 3D crews. Not sure but it was not really a useful part of the experience at all this time around

As for non-stop roller coaster, I agree literally the first 5 minutes start you into an action sequence

I honestly didn't care for that, but that's just my preference. I actually reminisced slightly for the beginning of Iron Man and the first Avengers, where the real action didn't start to until near the end. The build up is nice, because you reach a point in the audience where you realize "This is it, now they are going to kick some butt"

No foreplay this time around ;)

Heckler

There wasn't any need for the build up this time around, you'd already met the characters in their own films and seen how they come together in the first Avengers... Going through something similar again would have been pointless.

But I did really enjoy how they got them to fight each other, Veronica was particularly pleasing for the the audience.

fantaxp7

Anyone else see Ex Machina yet?

I thought it was fantastic. There were so many opportunities for the movie to take a "hollywood" type predictable twist but it avoided it every time.

I highly recommend. 

fantaxp7

Saw it last night.  I enjoyed it but did find it predictable :).

I agree, but I think some of the elements of their testing made it more complex which surprised me...that's about as much as I could say without giving anything away. 

TolkienBard

Ex Machina is in my collection, but still unwatched :)

I am very much looking forward to this film.It's on the very short list of movies for this ear I am willing to go "out of my way" to go see. With several local cineplexes though, what that really means is just finding the money to go and then squeezing in a bit of time.

dark_slayer

Anyone else see Ex Machina yet?

Where is this available? No BD yet, correct?

It's certainly on my list to see

fantaxp7

Where is this available? No BD yet, correct?

It's certainly on my list to see

yea went to theater as well. 

I usually only go for movies that I think greatly out do my home theater setup (for avengers type movies, interstellar, etc and where IMAX filming was used) but something about this under the radar movie seemed really cool and couldn't wait to see it. 

chef

I watched the trailer for ex machina the other day and it looks great. I will keep an eye out for it.

Heckler

Seen the trailer for it too and hope it's better than previous ones this last 12 months... Both Chappie and Automota have both proved to be very disappointing.

dark_slayer

Saw a couple movies this weekend

One of them goes up there along with my other all-time must see recommendations (Lord of War, Charlie Wilson's War, etc) . . . The Kingdom. I love these type of movies because they can depict scenarios where the audience member can leave with a multi-faceted understanding of something whether or not they entered with one. Whether or not the story is based on truth or fiction the facts littered throughout are self evident and well portrayed. For example, the opening "History-channel-style" sequence should be watched by all . . . I think in another 10 or 20 years it may be a replacement for standard history text publishing. It's such a concise, interesting retelling of a series of facts without bias. Then the movie actually starts, which in itself is good all around from the writing to the acting and effects

The other one was God's Not Dead. I wanted to see this for a while, but I'm sad that it took me this long. Now I know what I've missed out on conversationally with friends and coworkers. What a dangerous piece of propaganda this was. Such an inept, biased portrayal of events that couldn't be further than normal reality, yet portrayed as if they were the "norm" or every day occurrence. Even more dangerous is that it gives a large number of outspoken, rude, hypocritical zealots an off-based grounds for not only continuing to act the way they act, but some feelings of justification as if they are standing "strong" in the face of persecution . . . 

Then there's that big ominous list of court cases at the end of the movie. I went to one of the schools listed, and I know what the friggin case was about. It was nowhere near the realm of what was depicted in the movie. Instead, some adamant pro life group called justice for all (JFA) wanted to put up a protest/exhibit on campus. Our campus let them put it up, but it wasn't right in the middle like the JFA wanted so they went to court saying it violated their free speech. The only exhibits that were ever allowed in the high-travel congested middle walkways of our campus were ones that were from our actual school (College of Business, Engineering, Athletic pep-events, etc). No 3rd party exhibits were ever allowed in the middle of the high-congestion areas of the school, so they had no case. Unfortunately there are real cases of persecution out there, and Christians are persecuted in a number of ways. In America it's largely the exception and not the rule, but films like this try to ignite those that are easily swayed into believing it's the rule and not the exception and that all college professors are atheists and they will all force everyone to admit to giving up their beliefs if they want to pass their classes, etc. Just a lot of nonsense that only speaks to a group who have never been to college, or are largely ignorant of how insulting and inflammatory they are on a daily basis yet cry foul and persecution when anyone tells them to shut it

Edited by dark_slayer