Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

fantaxp7

Just watched Man of Steel.

Now I know why everyone was so disappointed.  What a disjointed mess!  Between his backstory being totally absurd (Jonathan Kent not pushing him to be a hero, REALLY!?), the fact that Lois tracks him down in the first forty-five minutes of the movie (again, REALLY!?), the lack of any actual adult Clark Kent until the last two minutes, and the overall absolute destruction caused by his battles (wasn't Superman famed for the lack of destruction that occurred when he got involved?), Christoper Nolan really botched it.  It seemed like Zod had more character development than anyone else in the movie....and he died!  I now have little hope for Superman v. Batman now. :(

Heh...I think I am in the minority who actually liked Man of Steel.

Also DEFINITELY NOT Christopher Nolan. Zach Snyder  ;)

fantaxp7

Yeah Superman vs. Batman is going to be even worse I'm afraid.  But Suicide Squad looks awesome!

I really like the first teaser over the summer. I thought it gave it an interesting  vibe and some great tid bits for the viewer.

At this point in time...after the first trailer and all of the little give aways in commercials I have a very different feel for the film.

Very afraid it will suck. 

thefirstofthe300

I am not sure who screwed up Man of Steel, but Christopher Nolan was the only name that I recognized in a position that actually could have screwed up. I am not really familiar with Zack Snyder...off to Google.

As for Suicide Squad, I think that the film has a much better chance to be liked than Superman v Batman.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fantaxp7

I am not sure who screwed up Man of Steel, but Christopher Nolan was the only name that I recognized in a position that actually could have screwed up. I am not really familiar with Zack Snyder...off to Google.

As for Suicide Squad, I think that the film has a much better chance to be liked than Superman v Batman.

Zach Snyder directed Man of Steel.

Perhaps Tim Burton's Superman with Nic Cage would have been better :)

SupermanLivesStill.jpg?1406298777

• Like 1

Zach Snyder directed Man of Steel.

Perhaps Tim Burton's Superman with Nic Cage would have been better :)

SupermanLivesStill.jpg?1406298777

This is hilarious by the way...

• Like 1

Aargh! I just watched Burnt with Bradley Cooper.

I thought it might be kind of like the TV Series Litchen Confidential he was in. Which also happens to be my favourite book.

But instead this movie takes the wonderful world of being a chef and completely bastardizes it in a way that complete infuriates me.

The way of the cocky, over zealous chef is ancient! I hates seeing chefs portraid as a yelling monster in the kitchen. This is not the way it is... At all! Team work and long hours makes great food, not this nonsense. Burnt get two thumbs down!

Oh and the way they portray Sous Vide as some kind of saving grace. Like it is some new kind of miracle cooking technique is bloody terrible.

Edited by chef

Damn, I wasn't sure about Burnt, but I downloaded it anyway. Is it worth watching at all?

The blonde girl is hot.. Lol!

• Like 2

thefirstofthe300

I think I am gonna watch Burnt anyway. It is Bradley Cooper.

I just finished The Town. I saw it in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart and figured that with a cast of Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, and Jon Hamm that it was either gonna be really good or an utter flop. I pleased to say that it was not a flop.

Ben Affleck directed and did a pretty good job actually. Affleck, Renner, and Hamm all were excellent in their roles. Renner pulled off the mostly crazed criminal in typical Renner fashion; Hamm made for a convincing hard-ass FBI agent; and Affleck kept his character perfectly balanced on the edge of being a likable criminal with no real options and a despicable criminal by choice.

The story was well told if a little formulaic (it IS a heist movie after all). However, it still managed to keep me captivated for almost two and a half hours.

The biggest flaw to the movie would have to be the bank managers' lack of voice recognition (trying not to spoil anything).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
AdrianW

400 Days - don't bother.

Just checked the cast list - ugh, Caity Lotz is third billed. That fact would have put me off watching it straight away.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

Anyone watch Spotlight?

Being from around Boston it was very interesting. 

Not to spoil anything but there was a certain person who mentioned my home town...and I almost shit myself as it was less than 2 miles from my house. 

Just watched Steve Jobs.  Wish I could have my 2 hours back.  I wanted to see his actual life story, him as a youth, what made him get into it all, his personal life, his thinking behind his developments, showing his interaction with the engineers when creating the stuff.  His true arrogance with people etc. Nothing like that happened, it was just drab and boring.

Just watched Steve Jobs.  Wish I could have my 2 hours back.  I wanted to see his actual life story, him as a youth, what made him get into it all, his personal life, his thinking behind his developments, showing his interaction with the engineers when creating the stuff.  His true arrogance with people etc. Nothing like that happened, it was just drab and boring.

You should have read the synopsis ;).  It was no secret that this movie took place entirely back-stage at three different launch events.  It was designed as a dialog movie (written by the master of sharp, witty dialog).

For the story you wanted to see, check out the movie "Jobs" which came out a couple years ago.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

You should have read the synopsis ;).  It was no secret that this movie took place entirely back-stage at three different launch events.  It was designed as a dialog movie (written by the master of sharp, witty dialog).

For the story you wanted to see, check out the movie "Jobs" which came out a couple years ago.

Steve Jobs The Man in the Machine was pretty good too. Actually a documentary.

I liked Steve Jobs thought it was decent. 

thefirstofthe300

So...I guess I get to start the discussion on Deadpool???  This is a first.  And probably the first movie I have ever seen opening night.

I have to say: Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool.  The trailer is definitely just a small taste of what you get in the actual movie.  Definitely R-rated.  Best opening credits I think I have ever seen.  The story was well-told and executed.  The jokes were fast flying.  The action was the fastest paced I think I have ever seen (probably 'cause I was trying to catch all the lines that punctuated a punch, kick, or slash).  The fourth wall was tastefully broken.  Best ending credits scene I think I have ever seen.  Fox's execs must have stayed out of most of the decision making since I doubt this movie will be a critical flop (looking at you Fanfourstick).

Overall, if you don't mind a lot of sex jokes, a fair bit of nudity, and a movie that doesn't take itself seriously most of the time, you should watch it.

• Like 2

joshstix

I have to agree.  I was quite scared for this movie expecting it to be uncomfortably try hard in terms of the trolling and humour but I loved it.

I'm not going to suggest its great cinema but its a hell of a good time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

So I don't know how many Marvel fans are in this community but anybody else see the final Captain America Civil War trailer that just dropped?  I literally can't wait for May 6th.

mediacowboy

So I don't know how many Marvel fans are in this community but anybody else see the final Captain America Civil War trailer that just dropped? I literally can't wait for May 6th.

In one word, DAMN!

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

In one word, DAMN!

I know right?  Between Ant-Man on an arrow, Scarlet Witch vs. Vision, Black Panther, and Spider-Man, Civil War may be the best Marvel movie to date, which is saying something as it is competing against the mammoth successes of Winter Soldier and The Avengers.

Edited by thefirstofthe300

chef

Spiderman!!!!!!! He looks so retro and I freaking love it! Animated mask and all!!!

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

I am really loving the fact that it looks like he might actually be a high schooler (not Garfield) and not creepy (not Maguire).

Edited by thefirstofthe300

• 2 weeks later...
chef

Umm... so the Force Awakens seems to have been released early over seas. Does anyone know when it will be released in Canada/U.S.?

I must hold a copy of the bluray in my hands :)

Edited by chef