When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Dreakon13
15 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

TRY AGAIN those services that provide cloths for a monthly fee have a policy of replacing the cloths after x amount of time. As for Emby or ANYOTHER software where it is a monthly fee it is expected that support will be provided.

I'm not really going to drill into this much further but... Premiere has a one time fee option.  I paid $120 for my sweater (Premiere key) and I don't need to or intend to pay anything else at the moment.  If I want a second sweater (Premiere key), I have to pay another $120.  If you want to pay $5 per month forever to rent ONE sweater (Premiere key), you're entitled to do that.  It doesn't change what's being offered though.  You're getting what you paid for, one Premiere key and the features that unlocks.  No more, no less.  Calling Emby a subscription service is misleading at best.

Though again, it's in Emby's best interest to keep their users happy.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Facepalm 1

rbjtech
Just now, roaku said:

I'm hoping to see retiring this thread in the 4.8 release notes.

Personally would have liked to see it closed as soon as the debates started to get heated - it has added very little if anything to the community ...

• Agree 8

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Personally would have liked to see it closed as soon as the debates started to get heated - it has added very little if anything to the community ...

For whatever it's worth, I do think the popularity of the thread may emphasize the want for shorter release cycles, even if the contents aren't always specifically on that topic.  Which I think we can all agree the Emby team is capable of, though some people may not feel as strongly about it.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

Locutus64
1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm not really going to drill into this much further but... Premiere has a one time fee option.  I paid $120 for my sweater (Premiere key) and I don't need to or intend to pay anything else at the moment.  If I want a second sweater (Premiere key), I have to pay another $120.  If you want to pay $5 per month forever to rent ONE sweater (Premiere key), you're entitled to do that.  It doesn't change what's being offered though.  You're getting what you paid for, one Premiere key and the features that unlocks.  No more, no less.  Calling Emby a subscription service is misleading at best.

Though again, it's in Emby's best interest to keep their users happy.

BLOCKED 

• Haha 2

solidsnakex37

I feel like a mod should just close this post down, since the kids aren't playing nice with each other. 

So many people just constantly posting here wasting time talking nonsense and say you don't have time to beta test, but you apparently have all the time in the world to sit here on this forum post and talk smack to others. 

If you want 4.8, update your instance to the beta 4.8 then switch back to stable when it releases. 

If you don't want your main Emby instance on 4.8, then install a second instance of 4.8 and then use that for whatever purpose you want. Test it or use it. 

If you don't want to do any of the above and are just complaining that 4.8 isn't a part of the stable branch yet, you clearly don't want 4.8 bad enough and are just here to complain. 

We got an update from Luke on a release, for whatever that's worth, take it or leave it. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 4

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, solidsnakex37 said:

I feel like a mod should just close this post down, since the kids aren't playing nice with each other. 

But, Where's the fun in that? :D 

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

TeamB
1 hour ago, solidsnakex37 said:

What the hell for, no one is call others names (yet) it is a bunch of passionate users loudly discussing and disagreeing on stuff, all sorts of weird stuff with no "correct" side, people started using the analogy argument style and I find it %^&* hilarious to read the grasping at straws trying to compare Emby to a clothes shop, nearly fell of my chair and spat out of morning coffee 😊

My 2 cents, the main problem with Emby "BETA" is it is not a beta, it is a nightly build and as such should not be called a beta. A beta is a feature complete build with bugs you want tested and fix bugs in so you can release it. The Emby beta is a nightly build that has NEW features and function and thus new bugs.

If the Emby Beta was an actual beta then more people would test it and the release cycle would be much quicker.

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Dreakon13
8 minutes ago, TeamB said:

What the hell for, no one is call others names (yet) it is a bunch of passionate users loudly discussing and disagreeing on stuff, all sorts of weird stuff with no "correct" side, people started using the analogy argument style and I find it %^&* hilarious to read the grasping at straws trying to compare Emby to a clothes shop, nearly fell of my chair and spat out of morning coffee 😊

I stand by my analogy 😄

We're all just having fun here

• Agree 1

Locutus64
21 minutes ago, TeamB said:

My 2 cents, the main problem with Emby "BETA" is it is not a beta, it is a nightly build and as such should not be called a beta. A beta is a feature complete build with bugs you want tested and fix bugs in so you can release it. The Emby beta is a nightly build that has NEW features and function and thus new bugs.

If the Emby Beta was an actual beta then more people would test it and the release cycle would be much quicker.

Ding Ding Ding Spot On give that this person an exploding cigar.

solidsnakex37
9 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

You paid for a sweater, you got the sweater...

Emby Team, can we get a merch shop with this on a sweater?

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

trying to compare Emby to a clothes shop

This is the moment I knew this whole thread needed to end 🤣

• Haha 2

sross44
1 hour ago, TeamB said:

All I was sharing on the reddit page was that it's coming soon and I wanted people to get excited for it. When Luke and the team are ready to release the build as stable they will. It's coming and clearly people are eager to use it (for those who haven't tried out the beta yet). 

CBers
6 hours ago, sross44 said:

All I was sharing on the reddit page was that it's coming soon and I wanted people to get excited for it. When Luke and the team are ready to release the build as stable they will. It's coming and clearly people are eager to use it (for those who haven't tried out the beta yet). 

Perhaps leave that upto @Lukeor @ebrto do, if indeed they would want to.

Lambtalk
3 minutes ago, CBers said:

Isn't sross44 the person who was just bought on board with Emby to help with brand and growth though? Nothing wrong with drumming up engagement on social platforms like Reddit. It would be part of their role

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

sross44
Just now, CBers said:

Agree 100%. They brought me on to start marketing Emby. And one of the first things I did was create a few posts on Reddit to gain some traction and engagement with our users and potential users. We had a lot of engagement and learned even more. I then teased that we had some big news coming. 

Some people got upset and worried that we would start doing of the things our competition has done with privacy and the such and got upset about the tease. Even if the overall vibe from the posts were overly positive. 

Today I merely mentioned that the stable is planning on being released soon and that us here at the Emby team can’t wait to share with it everyone. Overall community feedback has been excited for the release. Ive also learned a lot of what people want in Emby to make them switch from the competition to us fully. A lot of good research was taken from these! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

CBers
5 minutes ago, Lambtalk said:

Isn't sross44 the person who was just bought on board with Emby to help with brand and growth though? Nothing wrong with drumming up engagement on social platforms like Reddit. It would be part of their role

So I just found that out.

It's nice to be kept informed of things, isn't it 🙄

I still feel posting anywhere is a bit premature, especially as we don't know when 4.8 is going to be released.

Should have been early December, but that was over a month ago.

sross44

To follow up…. When the stable is released to everyone, you will see me blow up all over the internet and get it out there!

CBers
1 minute ago, sross44 said:

To follow up…. When the stable is released to everyone, you will see me blow up all over the internet and get it out there!

As you say, when it's released.

sross44
1 minute ago, CBers said:

So I just found that out.

It's nice to be kept informed of things, isn't it 🙄

I still feel posting anywhere is a bit premature, especially as we don't know when 4.8 is going to be released.

Should have been early December, but that was over a month ago.

One of the things I’d like to do is get all of us Emby folks together on a zoom or or something and talk. Would love to pick your brains about what you see and hear as well. 

To your second point…. A lot of the feedback I’m hearing is that it should have been released long before even then. And as difficult as it is with these promises missed…. I’m trying to keep Emby in a very positive light. Working to share what makes us so awesome etc. 

• Like 2

sross44
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

As you say, when it's released.

Think about it from a marketing standpoint. People are already up in arms over the length this has taken. If we aren’t in front of this (and should have been for a while) it doesn’t bode well. We need to be sharing that exciting features are coming etc. Not everyone reads change logs or even thinks to do that. 

My goal is to get people excited for this release! And hopefully get everyone on our team to see the benefits of an agile methodology to releases. Ha…. I knew my scrum master certification would come in handy someday lol. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

sross44

To wrap up my piece on this. I’ve been sharing the awesomeness of Emby lately and am going to keep doing that. The idea is to drive engagement and keep people interested as long as I need to. I’m working on a bunch of different things as well and can’t wait to keep moving forward. I myself have been waiting eagerly for the stable release while also checking out the beta!

Edited by sross44
  • Like 4

crusher11
1 hour ago, sross44 said:

Think about it from a marketing standpoint. People are already up in arms over the length this has taken.

That we've been told for months now that it's imminent only for it not to eventuate is a huge part of the problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That we've been told for months now that it's imminent only for it not to eventuate is a huge part of the problem.

Yeah I can see that. The beta releases are working though, people post bugs/issues that they have. Then the devs fix it and release another beta rev.

They just want to release something there happy with.. But that said nothing is perfect, just get it out there in the wild and do the minor release thing to sort out issues that arise.

Trevor68

Well we have been waiting literally years now for things to be fixed in 4.7. It's not clear to me why anyone considers it a "stable" release. 

• Confused 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, sross44 said:

Think about it from a marketing standpoint. People are already up in arms over the length this has taken. If we aren’t in front of this (and should have been for a while) it doesn’t bode well. We need to be sharing that exciting features are coming etc. Not everyone reads change logs or even thinks to do that. 

My goal is to get people excited for this release! And hopefully get everyone on our team to see the benefits of an agile methodology to releases. Ha…. I knew my scrum master certification would come in handy someday lol. 

As I and others have said, Emby need to make a firm decision on what they are releasing in 4.8

On reddit, you posted the latest beta release notes - is that really what emby plan on making a Release ? 

If you have sdlc experience (and being a SM, I presume you do ..) then if that's what they plan to do - then I'll grab my popcorn - as that (IMO) is a poor decision.   Aspects of the latest beta have simply had too many bugs (Live TV for example) to even contemplate a public Release.     Standard practice (as you know) is to use a beta from x weeks ago where there are no new issues being reported - and make that version the Release candidate.

Publishing that full Beta list, followed by a subsequent Release that has some major issues and/or is delayed further is the opposite of what you are trying to do... ;)