When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

wordlover

I just saw the announcement of yet another new beta version of the Windows server, which mystifies me. Why are continuing small changes being made to the beta, instead of wrapping things up and releasing the official version of 4.8?

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, wordlover said:

I just saw the announcement of yet another new beta version of the Windows server, which mystifies me. Why are continuing small changes being made to the beta, instead of wrapping things up and releasing the official version of 4.8?

How are we going to "wrap things up" without releasing new versions to test?

• Agree 3

solidsnakex37
7 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Have you changed both ports?

Paul

I changed any port that's visible, there is only one port mapped in the Emby container, aside from the WebUI port. 

In the config file system.xml there is PublicPort and PublicHttpsPort which I've also changed. 

wordlover
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

How are we going to "wrap things up" without releasing new versions to test?

Development will always continue (we hope!). The announced changes in 4.8.0.67 aren't described as bug fixes but rather as enhancements. Any small new changes could be addressed in 4.8.1, etc. Meanwhile all Emby users not willing or savvy enough to run a beta version continue to wait and wait for all the useful, stable stuff that's already in 4.8. I genuinely don't understand the devs' thinking.

• Agree 1

solidsnakex37
35 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Development will always continue (we hope!). The announced changes in 4.8.0.67 aren't described as bug fixes but rather as enhancements. Any small new changes could be addressed in 4.8.1, etc. Meanwhile all Emby users not willing or savvy enough to run a beta version continue to wait and wait for all the useful, stable stuff that's already in 4.8. I genuinely don't understand the devs' thinking.

I keep making forum posts about issues I am having with the latest stable release and get responses that they are fixed in the upcoming 4.8 release, which is why I ended up on this post. 

I don't quite get why we can't get a minor release of 4.7 to just include some of these fixes, but perhaps it's an issue with how these fixes are implemented in 4.8 that can't be backported to 4.7 due to the database changes everyone is talking about. 

For example: 

If you play content in Emby Web and it's being transcoded (with transcode throttling enabled on the server), if you pause the content it will eventually just transcode the whole entire file. If it's a 2hr movie and you pause after 5 min and walk away, over the next few hours it will reset the transcode position and just transcode section by section until the whole file is transcoded. This is "fixed" in 4.8. 

If you have a multi-episode file (A single file episode that covers a Part 1 and Part 2 episode mapping), currently Emby doesn't show this correctly and Part 2 will always be missing. This too is "fixed" in 4.8

Another issue is often times my Emby server looks dormant. No user activity and no tasks running, but the Emby Server container will be using 30GB+ of RAM. This is a result of the following issue, which is also being listed as "fixed" in 4.8, where it's actually running a detect intro task but not showing me it's happening (the logs will show a lot of ffmpeg processes). 

• Fix Intro Detection scheduled task not being visible

Some other QOL stuff which I really want to see that's listed in the 4.8 beta: 

• Change wording of transcoding reasons to be more user friendly
  • Rework Trakt plugin to be an option that each user can configure, rather than server settings
  • Rework Notifications to be an option that each user can configure, rather than server settings
  • Improve searching titles containing quotes and periods

The list of things in 4.8 is a bit overwhelming, when it does become stable it's going to feel like a whole new product I think. I wish I could figure out how to run two Emby instances in Unraid without Emby erroring out telling me I always have an instance running, because I feel like I need to test and explore 4.8 and also test upgrade to the beta with my existing DB, so I know what to expect. 

It's one of the reasons I wish we could get just a new stable 4.7 with some of the fixes above while 4.8 can continue development. I am both excited, and scared of 4.8 stable. 126 fixes and changes are listed and I am sure there are more not listed, that fall under the general term "various database performance improvements" etc. 

Edited by solidsnakex37
spelling
  • Like 1

wordlover

There is no way to stop or divide the train on 4.8. The changes that have already been created and implemented are wide-ranging and exciting. What so many of us are asking the Emby developers to do is to stop adding any more new changes and ship 4.8! What is the point at which the actual finished version will be released? Shouldn't any last bugs in the current beta be addressed and then just make it official, and all the other nifty ideas that are planned can then be added in a 4.8.1 or a 4.9 version??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Arthessia

Again, we have a lake of transparency here. And a lake of communication, that's all. Emby team (whatever their plan on the 4.8) is creating too much confusion and that's why people are waiting news, updates, and that's also why certain persons are upset. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

RanmaCanada

The amount of toxic, whining, self entitled users still hasn't changed I see.  If the devs never made an announcement about this, y'all wouldnt' have your panties in a knot over this update that is being worked on.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

grantsunny

I too expecting a new stable release soon, as I am truly impressed by the list of amazing feature lists as part of the release update. There is a humble suggest after taking one hour went through the comments though - perhaps we can separate the items of new features and bug-fixes in the list. That will be very helpful to reduce the confusion on both side and help people to understand the nature of releasing management.

p.s. I am just a newbie moved from AirVideoHD which seems gave up their businesses and spent 2 days on configuring Emby and playing with tMM etc. Despite of some known issues such as importing nfo for multi part filed movies, it is generally a cut edge experience improvement to me. Thanks all you guys' great effort on building it!

denz

I am hoping it gets released very soon. So crossing fingers they start implementing Tvnext in the next beta so we can have quicker channel change. If that is implemented there is a huge potential to get all WMC users over to Theater. I have recently stopped using WMC and do miss fast channel change very much. Theater still has a long way to go but it is really good now for every day use.

CBers
On 11/01/2024 at 05:38, grantsunny said:

There is a humble suggest after taking one hour went through the comments though - perhaps we can separate the items of new features and bug-fixes in the list.

There is a list of the changes here in the current beta (v4.8.0.67), which are a delta from the last Stable release.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

grantsunny
14 hours ago, CBers said:

There is a list of the changes here in the current beta, which are a delta from the last Stable release.

Thanks @CBersand I recognize today is a newer pre release version came out. Expecting it is a good sign of production release soon.

• Haha 1

mscrivo
On 1/11/2024 at 12:35 AM, RanmaCanada said:

The amount of toxic, whining, self entitled users still hasn't changed I see.  If the devs never made an announcement about this, y'all wouldnt' have your panties in a knot over this update that is being worked on.  

I don't chime much if ever, but I had to say something about this. I don't see people here being toxic, self-entited or whining. They are genuinely curious as to what's going on with this release. The fact of the matter is that a concerning amount of time has gone by since the last major release (May 2022). I'm a dev myself so I understand development takes time and that we all want a polished release with as few bugs as possible. But it's become generally accepted in the software industry that smaller, more frequent releases is the better model. Sometimes that's not possible, and products need a complete overhaul and that takes time, but I don't think that's the case here? at least I haven't seen anything to indicate so, so I think I and others are just wondering why we've gone from fairly frequent releases to massive once a year or two releases?

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 2

pwhodges

Actually, I think that part of this new version has had a considerable amount of code refactoring - which may help in the future, but right now has increased the debugging required, both because of the amount of new code and the desire to keep a high level of compatibility.   The attack last spring also led to a big redesign of the log-in process, which has also required additional updates to all the clients.

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

solidsnakex37
5 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Actually, I think that part of this new version has had a considerable amount of code refactoring - which may help in the future, but right now has increased the debugging required, both because of the amount of new code and the desire to keep a high level of compatibility.   The attack last spring also led to a big redesign of the log-in process, which has also required additional updates to all the clients.

Paul

I went through a test upgrade yesterday from 4.7 to the latest 4.8 beta, the logs showed a lot of the collections that that database dropped, one of them being "IsVirtualItem" and it dropped over 11,000 virtual items. It seems like what Luke said earlier, that a lot of the database bloat has been cleaned up and made to be more efficient. 

I've been having fun playing with all the new "toys" in the 4.8 beta and can't wait to keep testing further. This is certainly a massive project/overhaul. 

• Agree 1

Locutus64
5 hours ago, mscrivo said:

I don't chime much if ever, but I had to say something about this. I don't see people here being toxic, self-entited or whining. They are genuinely curious as to what's going on with this release. The fact of the matter is that a concerning amount of time has gone by since the last major release (May 2022). I'm a dev myself so I understand development takes time and that we all want a polished release with as few bugs as possible. But it's become generally accepted in the software industry that smaller, more frequent releases is the better model. Sometimes that's not possible, and products need a complete overhaul and that takes time, but I don't think that's the case here? at least I haven't seen anything to indicate so, so I think I and others are just wondering why we've gone from fairly frequent releases to massive once a year or two releases?

SPOT ON.

arrbee99
2 hours ago, plexo.rocks said:

Reading this thread with no official response to it is just deflating. :(

You want to be ignored, try asking about TVNext...

• Haha 8

Hi, we'll hopefully have it out in the next 1-2 weeks. We're working hard on it. Just finishing up closing the last few open issues.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 5

RanmaCanada
4 hours ago, plexo.rocks said:

Reading this thread with no official response to it is just deflating. :(

It's almost like Luke the team have more important things to do than calm down whining little brats.

I'd like to see people try this on the Plex forums where devs don't comment and problem reports are closed due to inactivity without the issues being resolved at all.  

How much freaking hand holding do you all need?  If you could all just shut up and let the devs do what their good at instead of criticizing them, bad mouthing them, etc, they would be more appreciative.  The comments in here are why projects die, as the devs feel the community is toxic and not worth their hard work and effort.  I've seen in many times in the decades I've been online where the community's negativity has caused good projects to die because the devs have had it with their users being such a burden.

That's the problem with social media these days.  Morons think they know more than the experts, and they flaunt their ignorance and think it makes them powerful.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 7
  • Sad 1

plexo.rocks
4 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

It's almost like Luke the team have more important things to do than calm down whining little brats.

I'd like to see people try this on the Plex forums where devs don't comment and problem reports are closed due to inactivity without the issues being resolved at all.  

How much freaking hand holding do you all need?  If you could all just shut up and let the devs do what their good at instead of criticizing them, bad mouthing them, etc, they would be more appreciative.  The comments in here are why projects die, as the devs feel the community is toxic and not worth their hard work and effort.  I've seen in many times in the decades I've been online where the community's negativity has caused good projects to die because the devs have had it with their users being such a burden.

That's the problem with social media these days.  Morons think they know more than the experts, and they flaunt their ignorance and think it makes them powerful.

You should just let Luke respond to things like this. You are trying to white knight for dev's here and there's no reason for it. Nobody was aggressive or pestering anyone here. Please accept that sometimes - people wanna know whats going on. Giving emby money every month I think entitles me to a few posts asking whats up.

Edited by plexo.rocks
forgot a word. :)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Locutus64
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we'll hopefully have it out in the next 1-2 weeks. We're working hard on it. Just finishing up closing the last few open issues.

I'm assuming that's based on the below.

Given its distance from the Sun, Neptune has the longest orbital period of any planet in the Solar System. As such, a year on Neptune is the longest of any planet, lasting the equivalent of 164.8 years (or 60,182 Earth days). Which comes to 8597.428 571 days for a week.

Edited by Locutus64

Locutus64
12 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

It's almost like you either don't have a clue what you're talking about or are lying. Oh wait it is both. First most peeps here are very reasonable, it's the fact that there is at least one rude dev that refuses to answer reasonable questions. Second the Plex devs have always been pieces of shit and always will be.

Edited by Locutus64
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thanks 1

Arthessia

It's almost like you either don't have a clue what you're talking about or are lying. Oh wait it is both. First most peeps here are very reasonable, it's the fact that there is at least one rude dev that refuses to answer reasonable questions. Second the Plex devs have always been pieces of shit and always will be.

Yes I totally agree...

and people more active on this forum are in a lot of cases close to devs teams in real life... Or are dev themselves. And hopefully they are here as they also help, by participating to this forum / community, to resolve some issues... I don't get his/her answer lol.

• Like 1