When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

crusher11
12 hours ago, CBers said:

What's the point of you being in the Beta Test Team if you're not willing to test, even if it's a standalone setup?

There is no "Beta Test Team".

• Facepalm 1

CBers
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

There is no "Beta Test Team".

By virtue of installing the Beta software, you automatically become part of the testing team, if not by name, then by what you are doing.

• Agree 2

crusher11

It comes with no obligation to do any testing or to install any obviously faulty versions. Nobody's paying me.

• Facepalm 1

CBers
4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It comes with no obligation to do any testing or to install any obviously faulty versions. Nobody's paying me.

You're just the sort of person Emby doesn't need.

Take, take, take, but never gives anything back 🙄

It's always like trying to get blood out of a stone with you, even when you have an issue.

• Agree 3

CBers
4 hours ago, bakes82 said:

I’m confused. You just said install 4.8 it’s fine then you said I’m to blame if it goes boom. So what is it?  The incremental updates have been known to corrupt DBs it’s happened to be me at least 2x in under a month, so maybe you aren’t actually testing.

Going from 4.7 to latest beta (4.8.x) is a big jump with lots of moving parts.

This is why @rbjtechstarted this thread to provide more information about moving from 4.7.14.0 (Release) > 4.8.0.72 (Beta) Testing.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

crusher11
28 minutes ago, CBers said:

You're just the sort of person Emby doesn't need.

Take, take, take, but never gives anything back 🙄

It's always like trying to get blood out of a stone with you, even when you have an issue.

I. Don't. Work. Here.

I am, in fact, a paying customer. Trying to guilt-trip someone for wanting to use a product they've purchased and not do unpaid work is ridiculous.

• Facepalm 3
  • Agree 1

scb99
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

I. Don't. Work. Here.

I am, in fact, a paying customer. Trying to guilt-trip someone for wanting to use a product they've purchased and not do unpaid work is ridiculous.

I will just say, from my point of view, if I use a beta I definitely feel an obligation to try to give feedback. Really, if you can't do this, you shouldn't volunteer for the beta, you should stay on the release. 

• Agree 5

crusher11
13 minutes ago, scb99 said:

I will just say, from my point of view, if I use a beta I definitely feel an obligation to try to give feedback. Really, if you can't do this, you shouldn't volunteer for the beta, you should stay on the release. 

I would do that if stables were released more often than once every three years.

But since it costs the Emby team literally nothing for me to install the beta instead of the stable, they have no reason to care.

• Facepalm 2

Junglejim
37 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I. Don't. Work. Here.

Unpaid work!! 😆 Using a beta version is work for you! LOL... All there are asking is to report on bugs, is that too hard for you? Need some money to do it.. 😆

20 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I would do that if stables were released more often than once every three years.

But since it costs the Emby team literally nothing for me to install the beta instead of the stable, they have no reason to care.

That goes both ways, if you don't care, why should they care about what you say?

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 3

crusher11
6 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Unpaid work!! 😆 Using a beta version is work for you! LOL... All there are asking is to report on bugs, is that too hard for you?

This sidetrack got started because I was told I ought to install a version known to be broken, just so I could test it.

• Facepalm 2

Locutus64
5 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

This sidetrack got started because I was told I ought to install a version known to be broken, just so I could test it.

The sidetrack got started cause you had to act like a ****** child, PERIOD.

Edited by CBers
Unnecessary language.

Junglejim
2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That's beta for you, just move on to the next release and hopefully things get better. Please tell me you don't use betas on your main server??

• Agree 1

kjhedges

Personally, I think the beta team do a great job of supporting emby. And very few complain.

I also pay for the premiere service, which to me, is a small price to pay for such a service.

I do myself use Beta versions as my main server with many users connecting, (best way to test beta imho), but I also have backups incase of any issues.

But, for those who want solid stable releases, then beta versions are not gonna be fo you. Especially the impatient ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
17 minutes ago, kjhedges said:

Personally, I think the beta team do a great job of supporting emby. And very few complain.

I also pay for the premiere service, which to me, is a small price to pay for such a service.

I do myself use Beta versions as my main server with many users connecting, (best way to test beta imho), but I also have backups incase of any issues.

But, for those who want solid stable releases, then beta versions are not gonna be fo you. Especially the impatient ones.

Yeah I agree, I have two containers running emby, my main server (stable) and a beta. I check in (update) the beta container every once week or two just to have a look around and check on some plugins I use.

I only have two libs on my beta docker (movies/tvshows) and they are small/limited and I haven't run into any problems yet, still I'm not ready to update my main server until the devs go stable with 4.8.

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 2

Dreakon13

While I do think the Emby team needs to take a more focused approach with releases and not let months turn into years in an endless cycle of new features and testing phases... I think that's kind of the curse of being a small team.  I see it at my work too, having less-than-adequate internal testing and never feeling comfortable a release will go smooth enough to commit to.

I also think it's kinda silly that people are installing betas, refusing to help test, then complaining about things breaking or how long the testing/release cycle is.  The beta isn't a sneaky loophole around the Emby teams release pipeline... it's a beta.  They release more often because the standards are lower and there's an expectation the people who install it are willing to help beta test.  The beta will add and fix things, it'll also break things.  That's how betas work.  As much as some people want to have their cake and eat it too... eventually you gotta give up something.  If you're beta testing without the testing part, I think you lose the right to complain about how long or difficult the testing process is for the devs.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

nzbadam
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I. Don't. Work. Here.

I was waiting for the ‘I pay’ argument. Surely you paid for 4.7 as 4.8 isn’t out yet?! I’m sure happy with what I got for my money when I purchased lifetime. Heck I’m so happy that the dev team are bringing out 4.8 and its many improvements, if I could afford it, I’d pay again to have 4.8 for life too!

Edited by nzbadam
Typo’s

crusher11
37 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

While I do think the Emby team needs to take a more focused approach with releases and not let months turn into years in an endless cycle of new features and testing phases... I think that's kind of the curse of being a small team.  I see it at my work too, having less-than-adequate internal testing and never feeling comfortable a release will go smooth enough to commit to.

I also think it's kinda silly that people are installing betas, refusing to help test, then complaining about things breaking or how long the testing/release cycle is.  The beta isn't a sneaky loophole around the Emby teams release pipeline... it's a beta.  They release more often because the standards are lower and there's an expectation the people who install it are willing to help beta test.  The beta will add and fix things, it'll also break things.  That's how betas work.  As much as some people want to have their cake and eat it too... eventually you gotta give up something.  If you're beta testing without the testing part, I think you lose the right to complain about how long or difficult the testing process is for the devs.

I'm not complaining that .74 is broken and that's unfair, I'm simply noting that .74 is broken and choosing not to install it as a result.

There have been many, many betas that were perfectly fine, not to mention that as has been said repeatedly they just keep adding new features, which just breaks new things, and it all starts over again.

Dreakon13
23 minutes ago, nzbadam said:

I was waiting for the ‘I pay’ argument. Surely you paid for 4.7 as 4.8 isn’t out yet?! I’m sure happy with what I got for my money when I purchased lifetime. Heck I’m so happy that the dev team are even bring out 4.8 and its many improvements, if I could afford it, I’d payed again to have 4.8 for life too!

To this point, I don't think there's a guarantee of continued support that comes with paying for a Premiere key or app access.  You're paying for the features those items entitle you to, and you got what you paid for.

What's happening here is the same as someone buying a sweater from a store, then coming back and complaining that the store isn't growing fast enough for them.  You paid for a sweater, you got the sweater... you aren't a shareholder in the company.  If that thing you bought makes you feel like you invested in a team or a product, that's fine, I'm sure the Emby team would love more input and they want to keep their users happy as well as entice new users... but yeah, you might have to help more than just complaining at them, and it might involve some small amount of effort.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Facepalm 2

Dreakon13
9 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I'm not complaining that .74 is broken and that's unfair, I'm simply noting that .74 is broken and choosing not to install it as a result.

There have been many, many betas that were perfectly fine, not to mention that as has been said repeatedly they just keep adding new features, which just breaks new things, and it all starts over again.

I think we can all agree the Emby team needs to work on their release cycles.  I know it, you know it, they know it.  But as a "paying customer" you have two options... stick with the last version that works for you, or help test the latest betas.  If you don't want to do "unpaid work" for the latter, then do the former.  I'm looking forward to 4.8 but I've been biding my time on 4.7 since helping test isn't really an option for me lately.  Nothing wrong with that.  Easy peasy.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Agree 1

crusher11

Or do what I've been doing, and update to betas on a delayed-enough cycle that there are clearly no major issues with them.

Again, this whole thing kicked off because someone suggested I had an obligation to set up a test environment and install .74 even though it's very obviously broken.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

Locutus64
23 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

What's happening here is the same as someone buying a sweater from a store, then coming back and complaining that the store isn't growing fast enough for them.  You paid for a sweater, you got the sweater..

Not even remotely accurate and you damn well know it. Emby is a MONTHLY subscription which means rather it's the current 4.7 or the beta 4.8 or the future 4.8 release one is paying for continued support. I'm not fan of @crusher11's post but that part of you post is pure BS. Now your second post is more like it.

• Agree 1

Dreakon13
2 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

Not even remotely accurate and you damn well know it. Emby is a MONTHLY subscription which means rather it's the current 4.7 or the beta 4.8 or the future 4.8 release one is paying for continued support. I'm not fan of @crusher11's post but that part of you post is pure BS. Now your second post is more like it.

Paying monthly for your sweater is a choice you're making.  The Premiere features and unlocks are listed clearly on the site, and continued support isn't one of them.

That being said, I'm sure the Emby team feels a responsibility to keep their users happy.

• Facepalm 2
  • Agree 1

Locutus64

TRY AGAIN those services that provide cloths for a monthly fee have a policy of replacing the cloths after x amount of time. As for Emby or ANYOTHER software where it is a monthly fee it is expected that support will be provided.

roaku

I'm hoping to see retiring this post in the 4.8 release notes.

Edited by roaku
  • Agree 3