When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Suliamu
5 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Nice, looks good.

I remember testing TrueNAS but that was the one with jails and ran FreeBSD under the hood from memory. The SCALE version looks a lot better, Debian/container support etc. 👍

I don't know why this specific discussion is happening here in this thread.
But i have to add this because your rant against FreeBSD/Truenas is quite uninformed.
A NAS primarily should do network-filesystem-things and nothing more.
And for that purpose Truenas Core (formerly Freenas) is perfect.
People even pay for it in business.
When you recommend something like OMV to people for their data, you should add that OMV is a solution for lesser critical data and for more flexibility.
Nobody pays for OMV. It is a "toy" basically.  
Also generally iocage(jails), when you need that functionality, are way more secure than your Docker-Containers.
Docker is an absolute security-hazard for lazy people. You pull preconfigured images from third-party sources into your system and run it with root? I mean really?
For purposes like WAN-side router (->pfsense, another freebsd-appliance that people pay for in professional environment) or NAS i would always opt for a BSD-approach and i always would recommend this for people when housing their data.
Because for most people it is not only images from bluray disks but family-photos and videos and other unique and private things.
For making a server for your jails, containers, VMs you should have a separate machine.

Edited by Suliamu
  • Agree 2

escapereality
On 1/17/2024 at 11:30 AM, Locutus64 said:

A release that actually didn't come out. I received my usual email form AUR on the beta being updated to 4.8.0.71 and went there only to find it's still on 4.8.0.67 there. That should never happen. The new version of ANY file on the AUR is always updated before the email notifications are sent out. First .68 .69 go missing and now this.

I agree the removed tags on the Emby.Releases GitHub make it more difficult to maintain the packages for the distro repos. 

This morning I added a little cron job that runs my AUR upload script for the emby-server-beta package every hour. This should at least result in the package being more up-to-date than before, instead of relying my human interaction of executing the script.

• Agree 1

techpro2004

I believe this thread got off topic ie: discussing omv vs truenas. lets get back to the point of it, pestering emby to release 4.8 :) Luke, please release 4.8 already.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gilgamesh_48
20 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

Soon™

Is that "soon" as in four year old time? (Sometime within the next four or five minutes)
or is it more like in adult time? (Any time in the next week or two)
Or is it closer to historical time? (Within the next 20-30 years)
Or is it getting toward geological time? (Within the next million years)

Or does it approach astronomical time? (Any time under the next 3-4 billion years)

;) :D 🤣

• Thanks 1

wordlover

Psst! Hey everyone, in a different thread, I think Luke just said 4.8 might actually drop this week! I hope I didn't jinx things...

• Like 2

Locutus64
15 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

Soon™

AhHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

• Facepalm 1

darkassassin07

Mmm salty. Need more fries.

Don't take everything so seriously m8, life's too short to be upset over a software update. It'll come out when it's ready, until then; patience. You'll survive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

MSI2017
1 hour ago, darkassassin07 said:

Mmm salty. Need more fries.

Don't take everything so seriously m8, life's too short to be upset over a software update. It'll come out when it's ready, until then; patience. You'll survive.

if it were a free open-source project than you would absolutely be right. But. This is a paid program which really takes the SoonTM to the extreme. Glad to see it should come this week but I hope that from this point forward updates are made a bit quicker.

• Like 1

darkassassin07

People here really seem to forget software updates are not a part of emby premier.

You're not paying for continued development, you're paying for the product as-is. Your payments do support development, but they do not entitle you to it.

Luke and the rest of the emby team could walk away yesterday if they chose to. They have no obligation to provide you or anyone else with new versions.

I certainly agree a quicker release cycle would be nice to have, and hopefully they will improve that; but at the end of the day, it's their project to do what they like with.

If you don't like it, there's other options out there.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 2

Locutus64
57 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

People here really seem to forget software updates are not a part of emby premier.

You're not paying for continued development, you're paying for the product as-is. Your payments do support development, but they do not entitle you to it.

Luke and the rest of the emby team could walk away yesterday if they chose to. They have no obligation to provide you or anyone else with new versions.

That is HUGE load of COW SHIT.

darkassassin07

You're welcome to point out the section of Embys ToS that corrects me.

• Facepalm 1

Dreakon13

This is the guy that thinks Emby is a subscription service (that entitles him to continued support)... despite nothing actually saying that, the actual Emby server software and most clients being free, Premiere being an optional feature unlock, and there being a lifetime option that doesn't require the monthly payment.

I'll try and avoid any ill-advised comparisons this time lol.

Edited by Dreakon13

generiq
17 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

This is the guy that thinks Emby is a subscription service (that entitles him to continued support)... despite nothing actually saying that, the actual Emby server software and most clients being free, Premiere being an optional feature unlock, and there being a lifetime option that doesn't require the monthly payment.

I'll try and avoid any ill-advised comparisons this time lol.

Well, they do have subscriptions available...

https://emby.media/premiere.html

https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html

Edited by generiq

Dreakon13
11 minutes ago, generiq said:

Well, they do have subscriptions available...

https://emby.media/premiere.html

https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html

I'm aware of Emby Premiere lol...

Choosing to pay monthly instead of the one time fee doesn't change what's being offered or make it something it never says it is.  It's not a service.  It's two different ways of paying for a single item (the unlock key).

Edited by Dreakon13

generiq
5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm aware of Emby Premiere lol...

Choosing to pay monthly instead of the one time fee doesn't change what's being offered or make it something it never says it is.  It's not a service.

What about the power users with subscription only?

Screenshot_20240129_094528_Chrome_1.thumb.jpg.67694aaf373cc4ea0848cfeb33e7d51d.jpg

darkassassin07

None of the subscription options include additional terms entitling you to the creation/release of new software versions.

• Agree 2

generiq
3 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

None of the subscription options include additional terms entitling you to the creation/release of new software versions.

I wasn't suggesting that they did. I was simply offering a retort to emby not being a subscription service. But, would you subscribe to software if it weren't being maintained?

Dreakon13
22 minutes ago, generiq said:

What about the power users with subscription only?

Screenshot_20240129_094528_Chrome_1.thumb.jpg.67694aaf373cc4ea0848cfeb33e7d51d.jpg

It seems pretty clear what you're buying with those.  The fact specific feature unlocks exist for a monthly fee does not make Emby a service.

Edited by Dreakon13

generiq
Just now, Dreakon13 said:

It seems pretty clear what you're buying with those.  The fact specific feature unlocks exist for a monthly fee does not make Emby a service.

I was just playing the devil's advocate 🙃

Dreakon13
3 minutes ago, generiq said:

I was just playing the devil's advocate 🙃

It's all good.  I won't argue that they charge a monthly subscription for certain items, but I think it's misleading at best to claim Emby is an ongoing service provider.

Edited by Dreakon13

Lambtalk
3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's all good.  I won't argue that they charge a monthly subscription for certain items, but I think it's misleading at best to claim Emby is an ongoing service provider.

Premiere is a subscription, per Emby's own ToS lol. Even a one off lifetime payment is just an ongoing subscription to premiere with no defined end date.

https://emby.media/premiereterms.html

They also make mention of both products and services in their ToS. So whether you agree with it or not, they are by their own definition, an ongoing service provider.

Now that's how you properly play devils advocate 😂

• Like 1