When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

RanmaCanada
On 1/14/2024 at 4:59 AM, plexo.rocks said:

You should just let Luke respond to things like this. You are trying to white knight for dev's here and there's no reason for it. Nobody was aggressive or pestering anyone here. Please accept that sometimes - people wanna know whats going on. Giving emby money every month I think entitles me to a few posts asking whats up.

Thanks for proving my point that most of you here are just entitled children.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Agree 1

plexo.rocks
9 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

It's almost like you can't read a civil response. Touch grass.

I'm not even sure what you mean with the response and I'm really trying.

There's only one child here and it's not my 50yo self who's been running emby since it was media browser.  It's you.

Tnx for the update Luke, looking forward to it.

• Facepalm 1

arrbee99

Touch grass ? I've heard of touch wood, but touch grass...

user24

I hadn't heard of it either - but Google is very helpful:

Touch grass is used on the Internet to tell someone to go outside. The phrase also implies that the person the insult is directed to spends too much time online, and they physically need to get outside and “touch some grass” to reconnect with the real world.

arrbee99

Interesting. Thanks. Guess that applies to me then...

• Haha 1

lagarto_san

At least my reason for being in need of more frequent updates is that the app ceases to work as soon as the base OS (TruNAS Core) gets updated. I've had a non-working Emby server since about summer of 2023, which isn't very a very good customer experience. Finding ETAs is also often a problem. (NOTE: I understand that estimates are not commitments, and I think most people do too, as long as it's explicitly and unambiguously communicated as such so that it doesn't look like a commitment.)

On 1/13/2024 at 1:25 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we'll hopefully have it out in the next 1-2 weeks. We're working hard on it. Just finishing up closing the last few open issues.

Thanks for this update. Best of luck. Looking forward to having a working server again.

PS: One observation is that, in my experience, this is the only application that stops working whenever the base OS gets updated. Don't know why this is the case, I'm wondering why it must be so, and also if something will be done about this in the future --especially if the release cycle is more than, say, every 3 months or some other arbitrary length.

Please all, stop these kind of words by attacking other member, thanks.

PS: I edit some posts.

• Haha 1

crusher11
On 1/13/2024 at 12:27 AM, pwhodges said:

Actually, I think that part of this new version has had a considerable amount of code refactoring - which may help in the future, but right now has increased the debugging required, both because of the amount of new code and the desire to keep a high level of compatibility.   The attack last spring also led to a big redesign of the log-in process, which has also required additional updates to all the clients.

Paul

The hack shouldn't have affected the development of 4.8 at all, because it should have been released months prior. The hack should have affected 4.10 or 4.11.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

Locutus64
10 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Just ignore the incorrect @plexo.rockssince IT is the one that needs to reconnect with reality.

Edited by Locutus64

pwhodges
50 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

The hack shouldn't have affected the development of 4.8 at all, because it should have been released months prior. The hack should have affected 4.10 or 4.11.

We're not in the ideal world of your mind or mine.  The fact is that the hack occurred during what was expected to be a late stage of the 4.8 beta, and it was necessary to do the additional work right away, however long that was going to take.

To my mind, the crucial thing now is to watch how future developments after this beta are handled, to see if the lessons of this beta have been learnt; but repeatedly going back over the past doesn't help - we already know what needs changing.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

crusher11
7 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

We're not in the ideal world of your mind or mine.  The fact is that the hack occurred during what was expected to be a late stage of the 4.8 beta, and it was necessary to do the additional work right away, however long that was going to take.

To my mind, the crucial thing now is to watch how future developments after this beta are handled, to see if the lessons of this beta have been learnt; but repeatedly going back over the past doesn't help - we already know what needs changing.

Paul

There is no sign that the Emby devs have taken any of that on board.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

pwhodges

Who knows?  It won't be possible to judge until the over-complex current beta is finally out of the way.  Will they avoid the same trap in the future?  We will see...

Paul

JuJuJurassic

I've worked in IT for over 35 years. Getting it right is far more important than release dates. I've seen really bad releases. One major filesystem/ networking company, No I won't say who I don't want their lawyers after me, released a patch that disabled networking security. If you got the password wrong on login you still got in. It was out an hour before they pulled it and sent a new "critical" update out. Or another manufacturer that sent an update out that expired legitimate licenses after a few weeks. So I'd rather wait for the new release to be "right" and not hassle the developers. They want it right too.

Don't get stressed, enjoy life, you only have one. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

crusher11
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

Who knows?  It won't be possible to judge until the over-complex current beta is finally out of the way.  Will they avoid the same trap in the future?  We will see...

Paul

Their responses to this issue so far indicate they don't see a problem.

54 minutes ago, JuJuJurassic said:

I've worked in IT for over 35 years. Getting it right is far more important than release dates. I've seen really bad releases. One major filesystem/ networking company, No I won't say who I don't want their lawyers after me, released a patch that disabled networking security. If you got the password wrong on login you still got in. It was out an hour before they pulled it and sent a new "critical" update out. Or another manufacturer that sent an update out that expired legitimate licenses after a few weeks. So I'd rather wait for the new release to be "right" and not hassle the developers. They want it right too.

Don't get stressed, enjoy life, you only have one. 🙂 

There have been many versions of the beta that could have been released over the last two years, but they keep going in and adding more features.

If the betas were constantly full of bug fixes due to issues that weren't resolving smoothly, people would be more forgiving. But when we're 18 months into the beta cycle and Luke adds a new feature which he admits nobody else asked for but he thought was neat, WTF are we doing?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Locutus64
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Their responses to this issue so far indicate they don't see a problem.

There have been many versions of the beta that could have been released over the last two years, but they keep going in and adding more features.

If the betas were constantly full of bug fixes due to issues that weren't resolving smoothly, people would be more forgiving. But when we're 18 months into the beta cycle and Luke adds a new feature which he admits nobody else asked for but he thought was neat, WTF are we doing?

SPOT ON.

nzbadam
3 hours ago, Abobader said:

@nzbadamAwarning post make you laugh, interesting.

Haha, to clarify, it was the sarcastic tone of that post and the edits I find appropriately humorous 😁

P.S. I was here to watch for any news, your post made the thread feel a bit nicer to read 😉

Edited by nzbadam

bonaminGR

Hello guys ! just for the lolz..
Me and some folks asked for a feature that we'd find neat (Random Sorting when browsing a Library but not Random Playing) and Luke actually made it happen, apparently. 

It is also mentioned in the beta versions of Emby !

Other than that, these are also very welcome by me:

• Add library option to cache images in server data folder to reduce disk access to original media folder

• Add new table view option

• Merge webhooks into notifications
  • Add View Missing Episodes context menu option for series and seasons
  • Add options to hide played media from More Like This and Suggestions

So, I just wanted to say, I have been refreshing that unRaid Docker page everyday, until I see that update. hahahahha
God knows how much I want it. :D

But truth be told, I know how programming works, and I got patience. ❤️ 
Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts and enthusiasm with you folks.

• Like 2

Spaceboy
8 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

we had the same comments at the end of 4.7. history suggests not

• Like 1

TMCsw

4.8.0.71-beta

• Fixes for cached .bif files
  • Fixes for converting .tif image files
  • Fixes for backing up databases

Finally😃, a release with only fixes??

Locutus64
9 hours ago, TMCsw said:

4.8.0.71-beta

A release that actually didn't come out. I received my usual email form AUR on the beta being updated to 4.8.0.71 and went there only to find it's still on 4.8.0.67 there. That should never happen. The new version of ANY file on the AUR is always updated before the email notifications are sent out. First .68 .69 go missing and now this.

bakes82
21 hours ago, TMCsw said:

4.8.0.71-beta

But its fixes for new stuff they added in the previous version lol, even though they said in December 4.8 was ready to go live but they didnt want to do it because of vacation/holiday but now they are adding and breaking new features instead of pushing out the 4.8 and adding these niche changes to 4.9.

• Agree 1

CBers

If people are so concerned about the length of time that a new Stable release is made available, why not install the latest beta and help test it and have access to the new features. 

I have run either dev or beta server for the last 11 years. 

Yes there is the odd occasion where things break, but that's just part of being in the beta team. 

If you don't want to use the beta server for your daily use, then at least set up a test environment and install the beta to try and see if there are any issues you can find that others can't. 

This will make the release more "stable" when available, rather than having to wait for a fix. 

Stop whinging, and either wait for the release, or get off your backsides and help test the new changes. 

Thanks. 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Agree 8

FrostByte

There's really nothing to it.  Just load the latest beta on top of your current install.  Once 4.8 goes stable install that release and stay.  You don't have to stay on beta forever. 

We are so close every new build is fairly small now and your server isn't going to go boom.

If you really have to have it now, then you only have yourself to blame.

• Like 1

TeamB
31 minutes ago, CBers said:

I have run either dev or beta server for the last 11 years. 

almost 2 of those 11 years have been the last beta 🙂

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3