When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Chillout

The last 10 or so beta releases have all been about fixes or rolling back features that are causing problems. 

With each new version, there are fewer reports of problems in the forum.... They have to be close to calling this a wrap. 

Everyone thats nesting in an older version should make sure their problems are fixed or it may still be an issue in stable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

iiiJoe
On 1/24/2024 at 3:36 AM, CBers said:

You're just the sort of person Emby doesn't need.

Take, take, take, but never gives anything back 🙄

It's always like trying to get blood out of a stone with you, even when you have an issue.

Whoa. Easy guys, we’re all on the same team here 😅

Locutus64
6 hours ago, Chillout said:

With each new version, there are fewer reports of problems in the forum.

That most likely due to features that peeps use being removed instead of fixed.

TMCsw
14 hours ago, CBers said:

It's nice to be kept informed of things, isn't it 🙄

Do you regularly read read this forum? You seam to be very selective...

• Agree 1

Lambtalk
5 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

Do you regularly read read this forum? You seam to be very selective...

As a moderator, they'd be reading more than most. To their point though, I think they're saying that Emby staff (or at least themselves) weren't advised of the new hire. 

Being told something directly by your employer is a little different to seeing someone claim something on a forum.

• Agree 2

TMCsw
24 minutes ago, Lambtalk said:

As a moderator, they'd be reading more than most.

possible , but that would not explain why he doesn't have a clue about @softworkzWMC beta? 

10 hours ago, Chillout said:

With each new version, there are fewer reports of problems in the forum.... They have to be close to calling this a wrap. 

Everyone thats nesting in an older version should make sure their problems are fixed or it may still be an issue in stable.

Yup, down to the nitty gritty.

• Thanks 3

Lambtalk
6 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

possible , but that would not explain why he doesn't have a clue about @softworkzWMC beta? 

They're not omnipotent. Things can and do get missed

TMCsw
3 minutes ago, Lambtalk said:

PM'ed twice...

them8os235

Question to anyone using the Beta and Emby Theater on either Windows (version 3.0.20) or Raspberry Pi (version 3.0.19).  Does Theater connect to this Beta without a version incompatibility message, or outright functional incompatibilities? 

Chillout
5 hours ago, Locutus64 said:

That most likely due to features that peeps use being removed instead of fixed.

I so miss the fast TV tuning feature... going from 4-5 sec to load an IPTV channels to 1-2 seconds was an amazing user experience improvement I'm sure they wanted to include in this release. 

Hopefully they will figure out a way to make it stable for everyone or give people the option to enable the feature if it requires a high end system or something else to make it work.

• Agree 2

sross44
1 minute ago, Chillout said:

I so miss the fast TV tuning feature... going from 4-5 sec to load an IPTV channels to 1-2 seconds was an amazing user experience improvement I'm sure they wanted to include in this release. 

Hopefully they will figure out a way to make it stable for everyone or give people the option to enable the feature if it requires a high end system or something else to make it work.

Definitely something I'm looking forward too when it comes back to the release!

solidsnakex37
1 hour ago, them8os235 said:

Question to anyone using the Beta and Emby Theater on either Windows (version 3.0.20) or Raspberry Pi (version 3.0.19).  Does Theater connect to this Beta without a version incompatibility message, or outright functional incompatibilities? 

I have my Emby Theater connected to both my 4.7 and 4.8 instance, when I run into an issue with 4.7 I just hit change server and switch to 4.8. Haven't had issues there

I have friends who do the same on their phone etc. 4.8 works better than most think, better than 4.7. 

• Thanks 1

Junglejim
6 hours ago, Lambtalk said:

Yeah for sure They would like to be omnipotent. :)

They want to release there best effort!

As I've said, nothing is perfect or ever will be. There are too many variables.

Once 4.8 goes live, then the real work begins for these devs.. ;)

Suliamu

Hey there, 

i just want to say that there is no need to rush anything but if the next "stable"-release 4.8 is delayed then it would be really nice if
some issues with Intel iGPU would be fixed in 4.7.X with a hotfix.
Like this issue here which persists for more than a year:

New features are nice and everything, but a smooth operation of the base functions even more.

Thanks for your work 🙂

lagarto_san
On 1/25/2024 at 1:33 AM, sross44 said:

Think about it from a marketing standpoint. People are already up in arms over the length this has taken.

OK, you're into marketing. I'm into being able to use what I bought. Unfortunately, the stable Emby release breaks as soon as TrueNAS gets an update. Don't ask me why that happens; all I know is that I have other jails with other apps in the same TrueNAS server, and Emby server is the only one that breaks (i.e. it fails to run). I haven't been able to use Emby since (around end of?) summer of last year. Why this userspace app breaks whenever there's an OS upgrade beats me..

It seems some other people have the resources, time, interest, and/or bandwidth to mess around with nightly builds and stuff. Power to them, but that's not me; my days are pretty full, so by the time I get to get some rest, I just want to enjoy using something, rather than getting frustrated trying to fix things that should be working.

Unlike what some people have strongly suggested in prior posts, just expecting the software to work isn't unreasonable, and in Emby's case, the software's ability to work is not only dependent on itself (i.e. fixing issues with Emby, betas, etc), but also on external factors that tie into release cycles (e.g. TrueNAS upgrades to fix its own issues).

Since you're into marketing, I figure you know that the above points need to be taken seriously and into account. In addition, going by what some others have posted, it sounds like improving at the project management level wouldn't be a bad thing either. There're many FOSS projects that could be used as examples on how to deal with deadlines, feature freezes, etc. (e.g. Linux kernel, Ubuntu distro).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sross44
4 hours ago, lagarto_san said:

OK, you're into marketing. I'm into being able to use what I bought. Unfortunately, the stable Emby release breaks as soon as TrueNAS gets an update. Don't ask me why that happens; all I know is that I have other jails with other apps in the same TrueNAS server, and Emby server is the only one that breaks (i.e. it fails to run). I haven't been able to use Emby since (around end of?) summer of last year. Why this userspace app breaks whenever there's an OS upgrade beats me..

It seems some other people have the resources, time, interest, and/or bandwidth to mess around with nightly builds and stuff. Power to them, but that's not me; my days are pretty full, so by the time I get to get some rest, I just want to enjoy using something, rather than getting frustrated trying to fix things that should be working.

Unlike what some people have strongly suggested in prior posts, just expecting the software to work isn't unreasonable, and in Emby's case, the software's ability to work is not only dependent on itself (i.e. fixing issues with Emby, betas, etc), but also on external factors that tie into release cycles (e.g. TrueNAS upgrades to fix its own issues).

Since you're into marketing, I figure you know that the above points need to be taken seriously and into account. In addition, going by what some others have posted, it sounds like improving at the project management level wouldn't be a bad thing either. There're many FOSS projects that could be used as examples on how to deal with deadlines, feature freezes, etc. (e.g. Linux kernel, Ubuntu distro).

Have you tried working with any of the support folks here on the forums for this issue? I use unRAID personally so can't help with TrueNAS, but that sounds like an Emby configuration issue where something is being reset each time the OS updates. Since you're effectively running Emby inside of a container, it should for the most part be pretty independent of any updates (minus major ones possibly) to the OS. 

Trevor68
15 hours ago, lagarto_san said:

Unfortunately, the stable Emby release breaks as soon as TrueNAS gets an update. Don't ask me why that happens; all I know is that I have other jails with other apps in the same TrueNAS server, and Emby server is the only one that breaks (i.e. it fails to run). I haven't been able to use Emby since (around end of?) summer of last year. Why this userspace app breaks whenever there's an OS upgrade beats me..

Core or Scale? You could probably just run it in a VM imstead of a Jail? I'm a scale user, but run Emby in a Windows VM. 

Junglejim
21 hours ago, lagarto_san said:

If you chose the wrong shitty OS for your NAS, that's on you!

If you don't know how to use it, that's on you!

There's a lot of NAS OS's that just work, you can figure it out...

Junglejim

Go with something Debian based like OMV etc.

OMV has got nice docker/compose interface via a plugin now.. 👍

Screenshot_2024-01-27_18-54-32.thumb.png.c0b18d73439e0111ad8557649b290552.png

Junglejim
28 minutes ago, Trevor68 said:

Truenas Scale is Debian based. 

Ok sorry, I just assumed they where still using FreeBSD. But still the use of jails etc is old school. Move away from that sh@4 as fast as you can!

Edited by Junglejim

adrianwi

It is working fine for me on the latest version of TrueNAS Core and has been for years, including upgrading from 11 to 12 to 13.  Sounds like a user error to me?