When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Gilgamesh_48
Just now, Luke said:

As always: 

Thanks.

Yes. I know that but I cannot get into that crap right now. My health just does not allow it. I will wait for the stable ver to become stable. 

I did not think i would have any problems but nothing plays on the stable and THAT is not just a problem, it is a total failure.

The "stable" is NOT working correctly at all right now for me. I expected the install to go fine but I am VERY disappointed.

Just now, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Yes. I know that but I cannot get into that crap right now. My health just does not allow it. I will wait for the stable ver to become stable. 

I did not think i would have any problems but nothing plays on the stable and THAT is not just a problem, it is a total failure.

The "stable" is NOT working correctly at all right now for me. I expected the install to go fine but I am VERY disappointed.

There really is no difference between the builds. 

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

There really is no difference between the builds. 

Well there IS something different as beta works and stable does not. I tried the install on both my servers and i get the same error when trying to play anything. 

"No compatible streams found" only on the "stable" but the beta plays everything just fine.

adrianwi

4.8.0.80 appears to be working fine on my TrueNAS Core server after upgrading from 4.7.14.0.  I'd avoided the beta builds this time around, so thanks to the emby team for the release but also to all those who helped to test the many beta versions over what seems like a very long time since 4.7.x.

Gilgamesh_48

First i tried to just install over the top of the beta and got the error then i went back to the beta and verified that it was working and then did a basic uninstall and the installed the stable and still no love. Then i went back and uninstalled the stable and installed the beta again and everything was fine. 

I tried on both my servers and they are working great on the beta and totally failing on the so called stable. I will just run the beta for a few days without upgrading at all and then, when I feel better, i will try again.

I am VERY disappointed but things go wrong and I can wait. it should not be any problem as I have nothing "special" in my setup at all. 

I think I will do a full NEW install on my backup server and i hope that fixes everything after I redo my libraries. The legacy backup works so I can, after the new install gets all the libraries rescanned, just use that to get things back and the run on my backup while i get my regular server working again. 

Unless there is a compelling reason after I finally get the stable working i will NEVER run the backup again. Of course, if I cannot get the stable working on my backup server, I will just run the beta forever.

17 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Well there IS something different as beta works and stable does not. I tried the install on both my servers and i get the same error when trying to play anything. 

"No compatible streams found" only on the "stable" but the beta plays everything just fine.

Considering the builds are identical it is likely something external, like for instance, maybe av software flagging the ffmpeg build. That will cause a playback failure.

JohnnyThe5th

Thank you and your team for all the hard work that went into this. Excited to experience 4.8!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

grantsunny
1 hour ago, grantsunny said:

am I the first to see this? :)

Played with it for a while.

1. I still have to clean up a lot of uploaded picture libraries. Hope this is the last time?  Besides this, I saw the uploaded video support is improved.
2. LAN networks: This feature is very helpful to me as I do have a dial-in network require bandwidth limitation.
3. I could feel speed of loading of posters and pictures becoming improved.
4. Not found playback issue for now yet.
5. Backup and restore part looks promising, I will configure it and make a try.

Thank you Luke and all Emby developers! 

• Thanks 1

JohnnyThe5th

Just updated and at first couldnt play anything (too many errors), did a quick reboot of the computer and everything is working great! 

• Thanks 1

tedfroop21
17 minutes ago, JohnnyThe5th said:

Just updated and at first couldnt play anything (too many errors), did a quick reboot of the computer and everything is working great! 

Just follow the instructions - I think there are only three steps...😁

The most important one is shut the server down first to make sure no files are in use by users or the system.

Then it goes smooth as 40 year old Scotch.......Many Thanks Luke and crew....need a "buy Luke a beer" option when releases are complete......

GWTPqZp6b

I’m very disappointed in emby dev team! When will 4.9 stable release?   😂

Seriously, congrats, and thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

TMCsw

Strange 3 playback failures (no stream...) then works fine for the fourth and there after for all (was Einstein wrong about insanity?)😃

2 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

Strange 3 playback failures (no stream...) then works fine for the fourth and there after for all (was Einstein wrong about insanity?)😃

Maybe hw detection wasn't completed yet. 

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
Just now, TMCsw said:

I think that is not really strange at all. As I documented earlier I upgraded then it appeared I could play nothing so I "thought" I had downgraded back to the beta and everything played. But I looked at the settings screen and it said nothing about being on the beta so I retested my backup server and, this time, everything seems to work fine. @LukeI guess I may have jumped the gun (Maybe replace the "J" with an "H.") as i appear to have not rolled back like i thought I did.

I do have a question though: Is the settings screen for the beta still supposed to show the message "Thank you for being a beta tester.?" If it is then everything i have done has been under the release and it stabilized after a while. 

@Lukesorry for the, apparently, false alarm and my testiness. I get impatient and my meds make it hard to control my emotions.

Of course this is all dependent on the beta message still being supposed to show on he beta screen when we are running the beta. 

Dreakon13

Excited to give 4.8 stable a whirl when the Synology builds are available. Thanks for your efforts Emby team.

• Like 1

solidsnakex37
34 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Is the settings screen for the beta still supposed to show the message "Thank you for being a beta tester.?"

My beta instance still shows that it's beta, so if it says beta you're still using the beta build/tag. This depends on the build/tag you're using.

• Like 1

TMCsw
51 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:
1 hour ago, TMCsw said:

I think that is not really strange at all. As I documented earlier I upgraded then it appeared I could play nothing so I "thought" I had downgraded back to the beta and everything played. But I looked at the settings screen and it said nothing about being on the beta so I retested my backup server and, this time, everything seems to work fine.

The Difference being I did some debugging instead of 'Shooting from the Hip'

• Like 1

FrostByte
55 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Excited to give 4.8 stable a whirl when the Synology builds are available. Thanks for your efforts Emby team.

They are out there now.  I just upgraded from latest 4.8 beta to 4.8.0.80 stable on my Synology with no issues.

For those who were on beta and wish to leave this is the point you would do that.

image.jpeg.60f4503676d7f54063e784dc2eac2741.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

richt

I was only 1 DAY OFF!!   Do I get any bonus points for that or something???  Maybe a free upgrade?  😉

Edited by richt
  • Haha 1

denz

I updated and see no benefits over the older version. Live tv still slow to start, guide still not working properly, etc so nothing to be excited about what we already had. For others it may be different as the list of changes is very long.

Edited by denz

wordlover

Wait, what?! Why am I not being offered 4.8 stable when I go to settings, and why is there no announcement in official Emby Latest Versions thread? 

luser
7 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Wait, what?! Why am I not being offered 4.8 stable when I go to settings, and why is there no announcement in official Emby Latest Versions thread? 

Download it here.
Replace your system directory.

luser

It's still early, but...

The good
  - Search results now include directories. This makes finding things SO MUCH easier.
  - The "Studio" metadata value is now displayed as a link under the video preview. The link is clickable and makes finding other content from this studio so simple.

The bad
  - The new UI adds some new annoyances.