When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Trevor68

As an Ex WMC user myself, I highly suggest you just use something like Google TV, and the Emby Android Client, we do this for all our TV's and do not miss WMC at all. 

I only use three apps, Tivimate for live TV (and IPTV), Emby, and Kodi for adfree catchup TV

Edited by Trevor68

denz

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use Android Client but found it is only good for watching recordings not live tv. It's not stable with live tv it may work then you tune to another channel it doesn't work sometimes you have to start the channel 3 or 4 times before anything gets displayed so it's definitely not stable. With Theater in the last month and a bit no one in the family has an issue with live tv or watching recordings they always start. Live tv is very slow but it always starts and haven't had one time that I had to restart my pc.  So that is a huge positive.

sross44
7 minutes ago, denz said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use Android Client but found it is only good for watching recordings not live tv. It's not stable with live tv it may work then you tune to another channel it doesn't work sometimes you have to start the channel 3 or 4 times before anything gets displayed so it's definitely not stable. With Theater in the last month and a bit no one in the family has an issue with live tv or watching recordings they always start. Live tv is very slow but it always starts and haven't had one time that I had to restart my pc.  So that is a huge positive.

I know that getting live tv to load faster is something that the team was originally trying to get in to this release, but it seems that it's been pulled. Ideally it makes it in an incremental update soon. 

Trevor68

I use tivimate for all live tv, it is a flawless experience, I only use emby for media playback

Dreakon13
11 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

It's not like the Emby team has been silent since the holidays. There's been responses in this thread and elsewhere; there just isn't much info to give. It's in the final bug testing stages and will be released when those are squashed. Maybe tomorrow, maybe March. 🤷 Whenever it's ready.

I'd imagine the team is avoiding setting further expectations, ie providing an actual date/timeframe, so as to not upset those expectations if they have further unforeseen problems. People seem to get quite upset when arbitrary deadlines aren't met. I'd avoid them too.

Personally, I'd rather they take the time to test and push a nice and stable release vs rushing to meet a certain deadline because a team member happened give a vague date to the ravenous public. I can be patient.

I think the biggest issue I have with Emby's handling of beta and stable releases is that the actual plan for the next 4.x release is buried in countless threads around the forum.  Following the actual major changes in the next stable release involves deciphering a (sometimes vague) changelog over the course of 100 beta releases or probably thousands of posts made by various members of the Emby team for hints.  I linger pretty regularly and I have no idea what to expect with 4.8 besides the public/private playlists.  In a way it's kind of exciting, but if the goal is to keep the users here engaged in Emby and its development, feeling oblivious for too long can be disheartening.

It's not so much about missing deadlines, but the idea that the development pipeline for Emby seems disorganized, like they're trying to appear in control through lengthy beta cycles but still frequently change direction on a whim by packing in every idea that seems feasible at any given time.

I'd have to think it'd help them internally to say "X, Y and Z features seem like a reasonable goal for 4.8" and really truly stick to it... but of course, it's all just conjecture on my part.

For instance, make 4.9 the big "watch together" or "smart playlist" release and get every developer they have across the server and all the clients focusing on it 100% (if something like smart playlists doesn't require extensive client changes, have those devs focus on client specific QOL for that cycle).  The changelog won't be as impressively long but I bet whatever the focus of 4.9 is releases incredibly polished and fairly quickly.  I'd have to assume being able to advertise cool new features more regularly with confident timelines would help market the software too.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

As a matter of interest, does anyone happen to know the ratio of stable to beta server users ?

No we don't but I'm sure the beta audience is a very small percentage.

Gilgamesh_48
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

I am not so sure that is actually true, particularly since this beta is on such a l...o...n...g... cycle. I know of a few dozen users in some detail and out of them almost 1 out of four were on the beta by choice from the first and over half of the ones that were not initially on the beta have since switched to it to have one of the new features available. They, most of the newer switched ones, intend to switch back once the new release goes live. 

I believe that when a beta goes this long, regardless of the cause or reason, people that normally would not be on the beta go that route when they lose conference that the release is forthcoming. 

To be honest most of the people I know that have recently switched to the beta are not really suited to be on a beta. In fact I am not really suited to be on the beta anymore either. I will switch to the release once it is out and shows decent stability. I know that by definition the new release is supposed to be near 100% stability upon release but I have seen too many "releases" across the software industry that went bad within the first few days to trust that the release will be stable upon release. It kind of seems that the "release" is actually the last stage of the beta and it is good to wait, at least a few days, before installing the last stage of the beta.

I think, at this point, that Emby is kind of in the all to familiar place between the proverbial "rock" and the equally proverbial "hard place." If they do not release soon they will be perceived as lazy or indifferent and if they release and anything goes wrong they will be perceived as lacking good testing. That is the only real 'win" for Emby is if they release real soon and nothing goes wrong with the release. That does happen in the software industry much of the time but it is not really the "norm" for complex systems. 

I wish Emby good luck and I am perversely glad it is not me having to make the decisions.

pwhodges
14 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Also why are we testing any of these things, the majority of "core" features should be automated and/or have unit testing that block these from even going out.

Much of the testing is visual, so hard to automate; also the sheer number of different configurations (platform / processor / gpu / connectivity / client) is so vast that the devs couldn't possibly have each one available for such testing - this is where the beta users can be a real help.

Paul

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, ebr said:
18 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

As a matter of interest, does anyone happen to know the ratio of stable to beta server users ?

While we don't have a full picure (no telemetry!), looking at the downloads of the Windows version gives a figure of about 0.5%, which means that only 5 out of 1000 users are on the beta.

• Like 3

arrbee99

Interesting. Would have thought it would be way higher than that, if only for the pursuit of the latest and greatest...

3 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Much of the testing is visual, so hard to automate; also the sheer number of different configurations (platform / processor / gpu / connectivity / client) is so vast that the devs couldn't possibly have each one available for such testing - this is where the beta users can be a real help.

Yes, that's very true.

For the transcoding area, automated tests are planned and already prepared for, but the problem is about finding a service provider which has appropriate offerings for that. Ideal would be 5-10 machines with different CPUs and GPUs, but these are needed on an hourly basis, i.e. a number of times per month for a few hours. 
I haven't been able to find an appropriate offering yet. The CPUs are typically of those kind which do not have an integrated GPU and the GPUs you can get are datacenter-grade models which don't have much to do with the models which are typically used with Emby.

If somebody knows a suitable provider, please let me know. 
(I'm wondering how game testing is done...probably such service exists and I just haven't found it)

tedfroop21
4 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I think, at this point, that Emby is kind of in the all to familiar place between the proverbial "rock" and the equally proverbial "hard place." If they do not release soon they will be perceived as lazy or indifferent and if they release and anything goes wrong they will be perceived as lacking good testing.

13 server types X 14 apps = 182 possible combinations of server/client to test every function on with every build.

Makes me really appreciate the work the devs and all true beta testers are doing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

scb99

^^^ And that’s just the software platforms, on top of that are all the hardware possibilities on the server side, and different drivers, plus getting client software through the various app certification processes etc etc

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
44 minutes ago, tedfroop21 said:

13 server types X 14 apps = 182 possible combinations of server/client to test every function on with every build.

Makes me really appreciate the work the devs and all true beta testers are doing.

It is actually MUCH more complex than that with all the different providers and routers and wireless vs wired connections and remote vs local access and I could probably list a number of other differences that effect streaming for people but. That is just for one connection at a time while we actually have many people with both local and remote streaming and many simultaneous connections as well as the issues passing from one provider's network to another's.

The bottom line is that Emby is remarkable and the fact that they do not maintain their own "connect through out network" option even makes what has been accomplished much more impressive.

Now that we have stroked Emby's  ego thoroughly Emby should get off its duff and  GET THE DAMNED RELEASE OUT. We are a fairly patient user group but our patience is not unlimited and we want to have a new stable release. 

• Haha 2

lagarto_san
On 1/26/2024 at 8:10 AM, sross44 said:

Have you tried working with any of the support folks here on the forums for this issue? I use unRAID personally so can't help with TrueNAS, but that sounds like an Emby configuration issue where something is being reset each time the OS updates. Since you're effectively running Emby inside of a container, it should for the most part be pretty independent of any updates (minus major ones possibly) to the OS. 

I've not tried asking the support group, since the server doesn't even launch within the jail. (This is not the first time I go through this experience; same thing happened prior to the current stable release and I wasted several days trying workarounds that were said to have worked for other people.)

Re configuration, I'm not sure how/why that would be the case? I normally just go to "CHECK FOR UPDATES" in the TrueNAS Core dashboard, and if one's available, I take a look at the release notes and upgrade. Then, after rebooting, the jails themselves come up fine, but the Emby server inside its particular jail does not run anymore. Jail update attempts typically come back saying there're no updates available, etc. But even if it were a config issue, why would the server process itself fail to launch inside the jail? At worst, it should've just launched with an unrecognizable configuration (still not good, as that shouldn't change the app config files, but less bad than the current case), but reaching out to http://<server-ip>:8096 should still give you a response.

At a minimum, the jails share the kernel with the underlying OS. (This is one of the reasons why they perform better than VMs, speed and memory-wise.) If, for some reason, Emby requires stable ABIs, then OS and/or library-level changes could end up breaking the app, making re-compiling/re-building the executables a requirement. AFAIK, other apps that keep working (e.g. Gitea, Transmission) are written in Python whereas Emby is written in C#, which has .Net/CLR dependencies that may, to oversimplify, be digging "deeper" into the OS. This could help explain why Emby is the only one consistently/predictably breaking for me, but this is only a semi-educated guess.

In any case, if there's a thread where this particular problem has been discussed and resolved, I'd appreciate help finding it. It'd be nice to not have local Emby outages for months at a time whenever TrueNAS Core itself needs an update.

Thanks in advance.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:06 PM, Trevor68 said:

Core or Scale? You could probably just run it in a VM imstead of a Jail? I'm a scale user, but run Emby in a Windows VM. 

Core. I'm using a jail-based container for performance reasons (e.g. no emulation/virtualization overhead). The hardware is a TrueNAS MINI 3.0, with an Intel Atom CPU.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:00 AM, adrianwi said:

It is working fine for me on the latest version of TrueNAS Core and has been for years, including upgrading from 11 to 12 to 13.  Sounds like a user error to me?

It seems highly unlikely to be user error; updates are basically done automatically with the press of a button from the UI itself. The same applies to updating the jails. (Currently running TrueNAS Core 13.0-U6.1.)

Setting up a separate jail with the beta works correctly, as far as the server actually being able to launch/run goes. (I did this a few months ago as a quick test.) That said, I've already spent hours organizing the library, correcting the metadata for content that has been incorrectly identified, adding cover pictures, etc. On top of the fact that I'd like to stay on the stable channel (see my prev. post), I don't really want to spend more hours re-doing the metadata content correction process for the cases where it must be done manually.

At least in my experience, whenever TrueNAS core gets an update, Emby server breaks --consistently. This is really why I've always thought that stable Emby releases are somehow bound to TrueNAS Core releases.

adrianwi

Sounds like you're running into issues with Plugins, which might be using the same technology as jails, but are not entirely under your control.  Just create a jail manually for emby and you shouldn't have any problems when updating the TrueNAS Core product.

• Agree 1

Chillout

beta .78 seemed to fix a lot of problems.. will it be the magic number??  

Symen_4ab
1 hour ago, Chillout said:

beta .78 seemed to fix a lot of problems.. will it be the magic number??  

.78 is out for less than a day and .77 introduced a bug that made part of the content unplayable for some users.
I guess it would be a better idea to wait a few days to see if the new versions has any major bugs.

Gilgamesh_48
35 minutes ago, Luke said:

4.8 stable packages are starting to go up.

See my later post. This just fails to play anything but the reinstalled beta works fine. 

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

perseity

Logged in for the first time just to say this...

Superb work everyone!
Kudos to everyone involved!
🎉

Gilgamesh_48

This is NOT working. I get playback errors on all my content. I am going back to the beta, I hope, until this actually gets fixed. The "stable" server is unstable!!!

I reinstalled the beta and it still works correctly. It appears the "release" is just another beta with a more serious bug. 

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

This is NOT working. I get playback errors on all my content. I am going back to the beta, I hope, until this actually gets fixed. The "stable" server is unstable!!!

I reinstalled the beta and it still works correctly. It appears the "release" is just another beta with a more serious bug. 

As always: 

Thanks.