When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Gilgamesh_48

It seems like the actual release date is one of those mathematical constructs where no matter how many steps you take toward it you can never reach it. That is there are a countably infinite number of steps between where we are and where we are going and that means that we will never reach the release date no matter how close we get. 

Or another way of thinking about it is that whatever the current distance is between release and beta we cannot take any step toward it other than one covering exactly half the distance and subsequent steps can never be greater than half the remaining distance. that means we can never actually reach "release" as half of anything greater than zero is also always greater than zero. 

:);) :D 

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

Locutus64
11 hours ago, CBers said:

Stop whinging, and either wait for the release, or get off your backsides and help test the new changes. 

Again peeps are not whining and you know it. It's just add x amount of features and release the new version, then start working towards 4.9. Stop adding features that no one asked for at the last minute that now need to be tested to see if they break anything before actually doing the official release.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Agree 2

CBers
15 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

Again peeps are not whining and you know it. It's just add x amount of features and release the new version, then start working towards 4.9. Stop adding features that no one asked for at the last minute that now need to be tested to see if they break anything before actually doing the official release.

Sounds like whining to me, but I don't disagree with your sentiment, although it's all down to Luke and the development team to get to a point where they're happy releasing it.

As I said above, if you, or anyone, are that concerned, install the beta server, standalone if necessary,  and see if you can find any issues, rather than waiting for the Stable version to be released and then you get problems and have to wait for a fix.

I'm sure you wouldn't want a Stable release pushed out and then find things don't work as they should, or did before.

Too many times when a stable release of a piece of software is released, problems arise that weren't identified in testing due to insufficient scenarios being available.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Agree 1

Locutus64

@CBersthe only one whining is you. I just love the way peeps keep glossing over what at least two others besides myself have said, and that is there has been more than one point where the current code was bug-free and could have been released as an official version. Adding last-second Items only one or two people wanted introduce new bugs causing necessary delays in release.

Edited by Locutus64
  • Facepalm 2

Spaceboy

I'm not at all whining about the availability of 4.8 - i think the length of the beta cycle is ridiculous (particularly given there was acknowledgement of this by the devs after the completion of 4.7 and commitment to shortening them) but I'm happy with stable at the moment.

the one point i have to pick up on though is i don't think its reasonable to expect your average user to run the beta branch. there are so many changes made that completely break some key functionality (case in point, live tv in the last couple of beta's) and seemingly little urgency to fix them. in the past releases to fix these sort of issues would come the same day as the problem is found but not anymore. it would be good to get more people using beta and finding these issued before they get to stable but this is a two way street.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

CBers
12 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

@CBersthe only one whining is you, but you know that.

Only about people that feel entitled.

Edited by CBers
  • Facepalm 2
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

So until people actually do the update - going from the Release - 4.7.14.0 (24th August 2023) to the latest Beta - 4.8.0.71 (16th Jan 2024) - how do we know what issues will arise ?

Going from the previous Beta, to the latest Beta (ie part of normal 'Beta testing') actually prooves very little - as all the 'risky' changes have already taken place but incrementally - ie removal of virtual items, adding permissions for playlists, db restructuring etc etc.    These all happended step by step over maybe 20-30 small beta changes, thus risks were low.      4.7 > 4.8 need to be one big change = substantially more Risk (imo)

Maybe setting up a 4.7 server and updating to a 4.8 Beta is of greater testing benefit to emby - if it is, then I'd be happy to do that if that is the main concern here ?

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Maybe setting up a 4.7 server and updating to a 4.8 Beta is of greater testing benefit to emby - if it is, then I'd be happy to do that if that is the main concern here ?

Yes, it absolutely is.

Thanks.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Kind of what CBers has been saying.  We could use more people to pitch in and load beta now that it's close.  Once it's stable you can always jump off the ship.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 18/01/2024 at 14:46, ebr said:

Yes, it absolutely is.

Thanks.

ok - I'll setup a 4.7 Release server - import my config and then do a 4.8 Beta update on it and report back.   I'll start a new thread in the Beta section so we can keep this specific upgrade seperate from normal Beta feedback. 

Thread here for those interested -

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FrostByte
27 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

ok - I'll setup a 4.7 Release server - import my config and then do a 4.8 Beta update on it and report back.   I'll start a new thread in the Beta section so we can keep this specific upgrade seperate from normal Beta feedback. 

Couldn't hurt to report back here at least once.  Could always use more people to try upgrading in a real-world situation before it goes final. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

parrish

I just updated my 4.7 Windows Server 2022 install to the current beta to help out with this. 

Upgrade installed without any issues- worked exactly as a normal upgrade works when using the setup.exe installer.   I have it running as a Windows service and also have a HDHomeRun 4k tuner for local channels.  So far no issues that I can see.  But I haven't done much testing other than checking to make sure local broadcasts are working (both ATSC1 and ATSC3) as well as recordings.  My setup is a pretty standard setup- no plugins or anything like that. 

BTW, in regards to ATSC3 channels- that's working exactly the same as it did with 4.7.  Pretty much not at all.  Takes forever to tune to the channel and, more often than not, it just errors out.  

Edited by parrish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

grantsunny

With all respect I am expecting that the development process and the developers are not being impacted by the discussion here and they are doing their ramping down on fixing bugs instead of adding new features to the release candidate. It is obvious that perhaps due to limited bandwidth of developers, engineering team chose to all-in release of 4.8 which include both bug-fixes and new features, instead of maintaining two branches one for bug-fixes of previous version, and one focusing on new feature together with new bug-fixes. I respect the team decision of release management, while team shall bear the consequences of your choice including a long time window in which the community did not receive any production release. The discussion in the forum is part of it. I think this is human natural and all complies with the principle of software engineering and we shall not take too much personal.

Thank you development team for your great effort and keeping updating us the progresses by far. Please don't feel any pressure as I am feeling to be more curious than harsh on you guys' progress, hopefully others here too.

js28194

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” Douglas Adams. 😀

Emby Team... Keep on Keeping on... Most people don't know about SDLC.

CBers
7 hours ago, parrish said:

BTW, in regards to ATSC3 channels- that's working exactly the same as it did with 4.7.  Pretty much not at all.  Takes forever to tune to the channel and, more often than not, it just errors out. 

Please raise a separate thread in the Testing Area forums, if necessary.

techpro2004

bump. Still waiting for 4.8. Anyone at emby have a idea of when that will be. Luke said by the new year, then within a week or 2 of the new year previously but that did not happen. I am getting concerned as every day my av software keeps blocking attacks on emby.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

roaku

Ideally, not before it's ready and preferably, not too long after it's finished.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

Symen_4ab
15 minutes ago, techpro2004 said:

bump. Still waiting for 4.8. Anyone at emby have a idea of when that will be. Luke said by the new year, then within a week or 2 of the new year previously but that did not happen. I am getting concerned as every day my av software keeps blocking attacks on emby.

Luke also said in september it would hopefully be within a month, then in november they were targeting the first week or so of december then they pushed it to after the holidays, so it will be released when it is released and any post with a deadline doesn't mean anything. I will personally wait at least a few weeks for the bugs to be fixed, this will be a very big update.

• Facepalm 1

vaise

From personal experience, the last three beta's have stuffed LiveTV and recorded TV in some ways.

I doubt you want this in prod.

Multiple threads.  

Junglejim

Personally 4.7 does what I need it to do and that's play my media. Sure I'm looking forward to some 4.8 updates (playlists etc.), which I've tested in a beta test docker container. 👍

I don't want to upgrade my prod server until the dev's are happy with it. 😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

TeamB
2 hours ago, techpro2004 said:

I am getting concerned as every day my av software keeps blocking attacks on emby.

umm what??? what in 4.8 is going to stop that?

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Personally 4.7 does what I need it to do and that's play my media. Sure I'm looking forward to some 4.8 updates (playlists etc.), which I've tested in a beta test docker container. 👍

I don't want to upgrade my prod server until the dev's are happy with it. 😁

It's great that you have tested it.   Did you have any feedback on the upgrade - any issues at all ?

'No issues' type feedback is good feedback for the Dev's ;)

Maybe add it to this thread for a more focused view - 

• Like 1

Locutus64
7 hours ago, techpro2004 said:

This is like the one theme that NEVER gets finished.

scb99

I think if the rewritten live TV code had not been merged, 4.8 would be live by now.  Now it's another month sorting everything out.

From my experience, other than this live TV thing, 4.8 became very stable and definitely a huge step up from 4.7. So it's a shame it's not released and going through the inevitable teething problems with the wider user base, rather than still sitting in beta hell.

(For the live TV, just keep a spare server running with 4.8.64, or a docker maybe) 

• Like 1