When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

zw19971112

I'm using i5-12500 as my cpu which uses Alder Lake. As far as I know, Alder Lake is supported in 4.8, when can we expect it to be official(stable)?

Hello zw19971112,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges

It'll be released when it's ready.

All efforts are supposed to be just on debugging now rather than new features - but (following the security issue) also on getting the new password and login system into place.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

jkramer
On 9/1/2023 at 7:57 AM, zw19971112 said:

I'm using i5-12500 as my cpu which uses Alder Lake. As far as I know, Alder Lake is supported in 4.8, when can we expect it to be official(stable)?

Never knew Emby server was picky about processors. I run mine on an ancient Lynnfield box I built in 2010. The 750Ti in it is still going strong too. Also runs a Channels DVR server and a Quakeworld server at the same time. Even with crappy I/O (SATA 3) it still runs fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jkramer said:

Never knew Emby server was picky about processors. I run mine on an ancient Lynnfield box I built in 2010. The 750Ti in it is still going strong too. Also runs a Channels DVR server and a Quakeworld server at the same time. Even with crappy I/O (SATA 3) it still runs fine.

Emby Server is in no way picky regarding CPUs. The issue regarding Alder Lake is about media hardware acceleration only. Intel made a larger change for newer GPUs which needs adaption in software and drivers and these are too large and risky to backport to 4.7..

• Like 2

jkramer
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

The issue regarding Alder Lake is about media hardware acceleration only. Intel made a larger change for newer GPUs which needs adaption in software and drivers and these are too large and risky to backport to 4.7..

Ahh, thanks, I've been considering updating the hardware in that box and was definitely considering an Intel CPU with built-in graphics. Glad I ran across this thread.

zw19971112
37 minutes ago, jkramer said:

Ahh, thanks, I've been considering updating the hardware in that box and was definitely considering an Intel CPU with built-in graphics. Glad I ran across this thread.

It works fine with all the transcoding and such. But 4.7 only supports VAAPI, I was told that 4.8 adds Intel QuickSync which is supposed to work better than VAAPI.

But if you are considering upgrading, 12th gen is great in value. And it works fine

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
pwhodges

"When it's ready" is the mantra.  It was widely expected earlier this year, but the work that is being done to rework the log-in system following the security breach in the spring has caused delays...

Paul

• Like 1

Spaceboy

i wouldnt expect it before the end of the year. still seems to be plenty to be done on the new login method alone. could even make it to a 2 year cycle

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Well the beta is up to Version 4.8.0.55 and there has been several recent releases in rapid succession. It seems bugs are being fixed/encountered fairly often. I do not really know exactly what is happening as these betas could be just little fixes before the main release or it could be that these are new bugs and the betas will have to run for some time to be sure that the found ones are fixed and that there are no newly introduced bugs that are bad enough to be show stoppers.

I am trying to be patient but my health is deteriorating and, before it becomes too hard, I would like to install the release version so I am less likely to run into unexpected bugs. 

I can always wipe out my existing beta and install the release but, even though I store support files along side my media it would take a fair amount of time and something might happen that would require a lot of effort to correct and I am not sure I can concentrate long enough to fix a major problem if it should happen.

But, for now at least, the beta is running fine so my anxiety level is pretty low but I really want to run the release version as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

i wouldnt expect it before the end of the year. still seems to be plenty to be done on the new login method alone. could even make it to a 2 year cycle

That part is more or less ready. It's mainly a matter of getting it into the apps now.

Spaceboy
7 hours ago, Luke said:

That part is more or less ready. It's mainly a matter of getting it into the apps now.

this isnt my first emby rodeo :D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nzbadam said:

I’m very curious to know what changes are coming in 4.8?

HI, you can learn more about that in the testing area of the community.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
On 10/21/2023 at 10:53 PM, Luke said:

You can expect to have the 4.8 stable release this holiday season.

Which holiday season are you talking about?
Halloween?
Thanksgiving?
Christmas?
National Gorilla Suit Day?
Vernal equinox?
Easter?
National Do A Grouch a Favor Day?

That is the problem of offering a date/time without being specific. It is like saying "It will be ready Friday" without specifying which Friday. :) :D

• Haha 6
  • Agree 1

Well the traditional reference to holiday season has morphed into something pretty vague.  I'd estimate (putting words in Luke's mouth) that holiday season is anytime between Halloween and New Years Day...  🤪

Edited by richt

• 3 weeks later...
Gilgamesh_48
17 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

With global warming looks like when hell freezes over is even further away.

Since this now includes more comedy than real information. (Not a bad thing from time to time, I think) I now feel a bit free to include a joke.
Many years ago I was visiting Chicago and a local Priest told me he heard about a man the had been a "Boiler stoker" his entire life and absolutely loved his job, the heat and the hard work and all else about the job was a high level perk for him.

One day he died and since he was not a good man at all he was sent to hell.
He was "assigned" to stoke the fires of Hell and he actually enjoyed it.
One day Satan noticed that guy just whistling and generally enjoying himself through all the hellfire.
Satan said that he could NOT allow that in Hell so he ordered the fires of Hell extinguished. 
A few days later Satan was again strolling through Hell when he noticed the ex-stoker just standing around and slivering and generally looking miserable.
So Satan says, "Well, how do you like it now!"
The man replied through chattering teeth, "Well I don't like it much: but, does this mean the Cubs finally won the World Series?"

If any mod feels this goes too far then delete it but I felt this thread should continue into at least mildly comedic territory. ;) :D 
Someday, given all the popular acclaim, I will post my favorite all time blond joke that was first told to me by a little thirteen year old blond girl that played for me on a soccer team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
ardinesh
On 10/22/2023 at 8:38 AM, Luke said:

You can expect to have the 4.8 stable release this holiday season.

I am waiting for this too eagerly. I hope to see it in next release 😊. I am so excited for the new UI changes made to the web client with different functionality. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game Is forever bad”

Shigeru Miyamoto

It will be ready, when it's ready.  Or would the community prefer a buggy POS that deletes all your files or makes your system explode, or worse?  I can't believe the amount of people whining about it taking so long.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 6