When can we expect the release of the official 4.8?

zw19971112

Gilgamesh_48
11 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

It will be ready, when it's ready.  Or would the community prefer a buggy POS that deletes all your files or makes your system explode, or worse?  I can't believe the amount of people whining about it taking so long.

At least an early somewhat buggy release would be interesting as opposed to the boring status we usually get with this properly operating system. 
Proper functionality is just so "non-interesting." 

"May you live in interesting times." ;) :D 

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Facepalm 2
  • Agree 2

ardinesh

Yeah, man!

I am just waiting for the stable release. I am checking whether the new version has been released or not in my Emby dashboard and GitHub release page of Emby. I am disappointed to see even the beta version is not released. But still, I am hoping for a stable release to be available soon.

• Agree 1

Darkseidd

one thing for sure,

4.8 stable will never see the light this year (again) as month of December usually quites down everything on emby dev side (observation from previous years pattern)

may stretch as long as March next year

Edited by Darkseidd
  • Facepalm 2
  • Thanks 1

Arthessia
On 12/7/2023 at 6:54 AM, RanmaCanada said:

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game Is forever bad”

Shigeru Miyamoto

It will be ready, when it's ready.  Or would the community prefer a buggy POS that deletes all your files or makes your system explode, or worse?  I can't believe the amount of people whining about it taking so long.

Which is pretty upsetting as we paid the license for most of us (I think). Transparency between work ongoing and final client is really a problem on this application. If I'm not mistaken, no Trello, no post explaining clearly why it is taking so much time and so one... "When it is ready" is funny 2 - 3 times but all other companies I know are able to provide an approximate ETA for all their stuff. (Even if the team is late on their provided ETA, at least we know it and we receive some communication about it...)

• Facepalm 1
  • Thanks 1

Locutus64
7 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

4.8 stable will never see the light this year (again) as month of December usually quites down everything on emby dev side (observation from previous years pattern)

may stretch as long as March next year

Prety sure you mean March of 2030

• Haha 2

cptlores
On 12/7/2023 at 6:54 AM, RanmaCanada said:

I completely agree. A while back Emby had a period where they would frequently release new versions, and it was not a good time. It got so bad I would not installing anything without first waiting on forum comments on the release.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Arthessia

I think there is a misunderstanding, we are not requesting an update each day, we are just requesting transparency & communication, whatever the time required to have the update 

Darkseidd
56 minutes ago, jkramer said:

Current version works great. No hurry to update.

People who whine about the next major version being "late", seriously? Grow up.

4.7 had been stand-still since 4.7.10(or 11) feature-wise. alot of great thing is in 4.8 beta but none of it pushed into stable release except compatibility update and addressing security-loophole .

also there are some plugin author couldn't care less to keep up with emby beta changes, only stick to stable release.

RanmaCanada
7 hours ago, Arthessia said:

I think there is a misunderstanding, we are not requesting an update each day, we are just requesting transparency & communication, whatever the time required to have the update 

No, you are requesting hand holding.  If you really wanted to know what was going on, you would install the Beta yourself and see where it is. As it stands, most people who ask these questions refuse to go the Beta route.  I helped with the Beta testing back when there was adding of tonemapping, and it was a lot of back and forths and fixes and refixes and OMG why isn't this working.  

Patience is a virtue.  As for your quip of "we paid for the license" you haven't been deprived your current version of Emby.  All you've been "deprived of" is the update that everyone is whining and complaining about while forgetting that people are testing it every single day to ensure that it works and that it works properly.  All they see is your negativity, nothing more.  This isn't a simple update from my understanding.  It's like going from horse and carriage to rockets.

Believe it or not, the dev team owes you nothing.  You have a fully functional product already.  You're complaining about features that you didn't even know would exist if it wasn't for this forum.

And I'll say this about updates, they need to be quiet as in the past competitors have stolen ideas before the team could fully implement them.  Do you complain about when the next version of Office will be out?  The next version of Windows or MacOS?  How about the next update to your phone or tablet?  Stop being a self entitled child and let the dev team do what they do best.  The more they have to come here to answer these stupid questions, the less time they have to do work.  Luke has already said it will be the holiday season, which will run from December to the first week of January.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

Arthessia

I maybe don't have any test environment or no time to test and troubleshoot beta versions ?

I maybe raised few bugs and want them to be fixed ? What you say has no sense

RanmaCanada
1 hour ago, Arthessia said:

I maybe don't have any test environment or no time to test and troubleshoot beta versions ?

I maybe raised few bugs and want them to be fixed ? What you say has no sense

If you don't have a test environment nor the time, then that's a you problem and people in that situation would be best suited to just sit back and wait for those people who have the time and the resources, to do the work they volunteered for, without complaining that it's taking too long.  Yet here we are with entitled children demanding answers and thinking everyone who's telling them to be paitent is attacking them personally.

• Haha 1

pwhodges
1 hour ago, Arthessia said:

I maybe don't have any test environment.

Don't need one.  You can simply install the beta version of Emby on the same machine, change its ports to prevent conflicts, and even point it at the same libraries.  Then compare at leisure.

Paul

Arthessia
11 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Don't need one.  You can simply install the beta version of Emby on the same machine, change its ports to prevent conflicts, and even point it at the same libraries.  Then compare at leisure.

Paul

Yep but I don't want to share same librairies on 2 different instances (too many bad experiences in my job...) that is why I'm referring to a new environment, I'll check during my holidays if I've enough time by curiosity, it will be a good test for my new raspberry 

Darkseidd
7 hours ago, Arthessia said:

Yep but I don't want to share same librairies on 2 different instances (too many bad experiences in my job...) that is why I'm referring to a new environment, I'll check during my holidays if I've enough time by curiosity, it will be a good test for my new raspberry 

as long as both instance have different port and different home& config folder, there's nothing to worry about

i have emby and *competitor* running side by side pointing at same storage folder

pwhodges

So long as at least one of the instances is NOT set to save metadata with the media, there should be no conflict.  Emby does not mess with the media files themselves.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
solidsnakex37

I am eager to get onto 4.8, the list of fixes and QOL improvements is getting longer and longer. 

Does the latest beta work "well" enough that it can be used in a busy environment? I think I may test things out and run it alongside my current setup and see. 

One of the long awaited fixes is the multi-episodes not being merged...I've been dealing with this issue for a long time. I was really hoping for a 4.8 release during the holiday season. 

plexo.rocks

I'm in the same boat, getting antsy and willing to move to beta if we are gonna be waiting for whatever development needs to get done. I've never tried a beta and I'm wondering, once 4.8 comes out can I switch back? I only have about 10 users but they are regular, for their sakes I've avoided beta but at this point, I'm tired of seeing 4.7 after reading all the update notes for 4.8

pwhodges

The final beta becomes the next stable in effect, so switching back to the release path at that point is just fine.

Paul

Gilgamesh_48
6 minutes ago, plexo.rocks said:

I'm in the same boat, getting antsy and willing to move to beta if we are gonna be waiting for whatever development needs to get done. I've never tried a beta and I'm wondering, once 4.8 comes out can I switch back? I only have about 10 users but they are regular, for their sakes I've avoided beta but at this point, I'm tired of seeing 4.7 after reading all the update notes for 4.8

The only time it is simple and easy and mostly safe to move from beta to release is at the time of a full release that ends one beta and starts another. At that point the database and overall structure of the beta will be identical so changing to the "release" is pretty much seamless. However we have been a VERY VERY long time on this beta so it is possible that something has been overlooked but, if something is waiting to bite us in the butt, it will probably bite those upgrading from 4.7 to 4.8 before it bites those moving from 4.8 beta to 4.8 release (or whatever it gets called) The move from 4.8 beta to 4.8 release involves a LOT fewer objects than the 4.7 to 4.8 move.

But most of the data differences are already in 4.8 beta so you will probably not run into any extra problems if you upgrade to 4.8 beta and then  to 4.8 release than you will by simply waiting for the release and going directly there.

For the rest of this I am going to assume that the release of the release will happen pretty soon. If it gets delayed by much,  that is if it stretches beyond a few weeks then all bets are off and there is no safe reason to go to the beta.

I suggest an upgrade to the beta and then another upgrade to the release as that seems to be pretty safe.
FWIW: That would put you no worse off than the rest of us on the beta. I have been planning to go to the release as soon as I reasonably can but I have been planning that for months and it has taken so long that I am not sure it will actually happen.

The simple fact is that if you go to the beta there is no guarantee that you will be able to, seamlessly, go back to the release at any point anytime soon. Emby is very good about support but they are also not very good at predicting where there code will go. 
It almost looks like Emby really does not have a good idea of how to make their beta release worthy. It keeps getting pushed back and delayed and it seems that "deadlines" are just pretty flags to wave at as they race past them. 

If I had my druthers I would have, what seems a year ago, not chosen to use the beta. As much as I enjoy testing and like having access to latest features it is no longer worth the insecurity.

So, bottom line, there are really no negatives to going with the beta except the insecurity of not knowing when you can go back to the release. 

• Agree 1

davedick
On 12/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, RanmaCanada said:

No, you are requesting hand holding.  If you really wanted to know what was going on, you would install the Beta yourself and see where it is. As it stands, most people who ask these questions refuse to go the Beta route.  I helped with the Beta testing back when there was adding of tonemapping, and it was a lot of back and forths and fixes and refixes and OMG why isn't this working.  

Patience is a virtue.  As for your quip of "we paid for the license" you haven't been deprived your current version of Emby.  All you've been "deprived of" is the update that everyone is whining and complaining about while forgetting that people are testing it every single day to ensure that it works and that it works properly.  All they see is your negativity, nothing more.  This isn't a simple update from my understanding.  It's like going from horse and carriage to rockets.

Believe it or not, the dev team owes you nothing.  You have a fully functional product already.  You're complaining about features that you didn't even know would exist if it wasn't for this forum.

And I'll say this about updates, they need to be quiet as in the past competitors have stolen ideas before the team could fully implement them.  Do you complain about when the next version of Office will be out?  The next version of Windows or MacOS?  How about the next update to your phone or tablet?  Stop being a self entitled child and let the dev team do what they do best.  The more they have to come here to answer these stupid questions, the less time they have to do work.  Luke has already said it will be the holiday season, which will run from December to the first week of January.

The first week of January has past

• Haha 1

solidsnakex37
On 12/11/2023 at 1:49 AM, pwhodges said:

So long as at least one of the instances is NOT set to save metadata with the media, there should be no conflict.  Emby does not mess with the media files themselves.

Paul

I installed a second instance of Emby in Unraid, setup it's own port, new appdata folder, but when I go to start the second instance it stops with "Exiting because another instance is already running". I don't understand how it knows I already have an Emby instance running if it's a second container with a unique name, new port, new appdata path etc. Is there something else that needs to happen here?

pwhodges

Have you changed both ports?

Paul

Arthessia

Personally I finally moved to jellyfin. By checking the release history the support looks really more active. I'll keep an eye on emby and will maybe come back if something move in the right way... Jellyfin is doing the job pretty well and a lot of things are better than emby (download engine for example...). 

PS (jellyfin is not perfect too, don't put words in my mouth :)