To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 10:48 PM, Chillout said:

Well MS probably had a whole division working on WMC

I recently had a chat with Charly Owen from the WMC team - they were 300 people...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, emveepee said:

when WMC came out people zapped between channels to watch TV now it isn't as important because there are too many channels

With more channels, it seems to me even more important to have fast channel switching..

WMC also used proprietary dvr-ms and wtv formats that made some things easier.  I know NextPVR when it was GBPVR had fast direct tuning using dvr-ms but using it was too limiting for many use cases and it was far from perfect anyway. Removing it added a second or two

It's not the format which made things faster. It's the technology behind, called the StreamBufferEngine. It allows "reading-while-writing", so the player side was able read the data at the very same moment it was made available for writing, because data near the "live edge" was buffered in memory. Read-write from the same file is basically possble with any file and without a "StreamBufferEngine", as that is an OS feature, but the big difference is that something needs to be written to disk first before it can be read again and reading always needs to wait until a certain chunk has been written - hence the delay. Current Emby uses this method.

TVnext is following a similar approach like the StreamBufferEngine (but less complicated and not with a custom format), which means that that the TV streams are processed in memory and sent to clients directly (if at the live edge), so it can happen that stream data is on its way to the client even before it has been written to disk.

cable and satellite STB boxes take several seconds tuning too, that is just the way it is

Changing frequency/transponder adds about 0.5-1.5s for cable and satellite unless the satellite dish needs to be moved to a different position. The only other thing what adds is decryption in case of scrambled signals but rarely more than 2-3s (all in case of DVB).

he was getting a brand new digital fiber delivered box for his cable, and tuning was slower than copper

Probably because it's IPTV now, which is technically different from those online "IPTV providers" (where you can get a picture quickly, but it's half a minute behind).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

online "IPTV providers"

I'm on one of those, and honestly - after all the years using it - probably couldn't stand channel switching taking more than half a second to a second tops - likely a reason I've never even stared with Emby's LiveTV part, and I'm still gladly trading slight delay/time offset compared to "live" stream - for me it IS/feels live as there's nothing to compare to. But I'm following these topics with interest. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Chillout
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

I recently had a chat with Charly Owen from the WMC team - they were 300 people...

I hope you mentioned you were trying hard to keep the Green Button alive in Emby and doing a great job.  Your live TV UI brought back some great memories and would love it to be part of the WMC theme in ET.

Armageus
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

Even if Emby had 300 people, I'm fairly sure TVNext still wouldn't have been integrated :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

emveepee
10 hours ago, softworkz said:

Changing frequency/transponder adds about 0.5-1.5s for cable and satellite unless the satellite dish needs to be moved to a different position. The only other thing what adds is decryption in case of scrambled signals but rarely more than 2-3s (all in case of DVB).

Probably because it's IPTV now, which is technically different from those online "IPTV providers" (where you can get a picture quickly, but it's half a minute behind).

My case is testing my STB with HDMI grabbers and LIRC or similar tuning, it is always more the 3seconds here.  Even sending each key for a 3 digit channel takes a keystroke pause.  I think  some companies have 4 digits.  In the analog era I could spin 2-13 in the same time. The reason that the new STB's are even slower is they use cloud PVR technology for Live TV with slow cheap Android clients.

As for fast channel changing you must not have tried a Roku client, the physical change and the change the user sees is quite different.

Edited by emveepee

• 3 weeks later...
Cr8iveLosr

It's been exactly one year since the famous "We are looking at how best to integrate it. Thanks guys." line was heard around the world.

Curious if this is still the case or are we still holding out for vaporware...

P.S. - Happy New Year  to you all!

again

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
pwhodges

Hopefully (at this stage) not  till after the release of 4.8!

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Quite often it's silence to precede a storm.

sounds promising :) 

Chillout

Nothing upsets people more than if they cant watch their favorite TV show because of an Emby bug. Only thing worse is when the family complains and asks why they cant watch tv like normal people.

All the Live TV issues with the beta stream has reinforced how critical it is to get things right and not rush things. So if takes a bit longer to work out the bugs,  its time well spent.

• Agree 2

Spaceboy
17 minutes ago, Chillout said:

Nothing upsets people more than if they cant watch their favorite TV show because of an Emby bug. Only thing worse is when the family complains and asks why they cant watch tv like normal people.

All the Live TV issues with the beta stream has reinforced how critical it is to get things right and not rush things. So if takes a bit longer to work out the bugs,  its time well spent.

not what this thread is about

cncb
On 1/22/2024 at 7:43 AM, pwhodges said:

Hopefully (at this stage) not  till after the release of 4.8!

Why not?  Hasn’t this integration been delayed long enough already?

denz

Because it would probably be another 2 years before it gets pushed to stable.  Since this beta has been going for ever might as well add something significant to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
denz

Now that beta has moved to 4.9 can we expect some of the TVnext benefits to start to be implemented? Like faster channel changing I am ready to be a beta tester or alpha tester. This slow channel change is killing me. 

• Agree 3

Flippz
14 hours ago, denz said:

Now that beta has moved to 4.9 can we expect some of the TVnext benefits to start to be implemented? Like faster channel changing I am ready to be a beta tester or alpha tester. This slow channel change is killing me. 

I was so sure that the first new beta would be with the TVnext implemented, but sadly no :(

gillmacca01

I don't think we are going to see it till v5, could be wrong, but that my personal opinion 

cncb

Many of the ATSC 3.0 channels in the US are adding DRM so this may miss it’s chance here.

TMCsw
2 hours ago, cncb said:

Many of the ATSC 3.0 channels in the US are adding DRM so this may miss it’s chance here.

This is such a tinny market now and maybe forever (due to DRM and updating your hardware (new tuners) to get these stations (and mostly just a small part of the USA unless the FCC and the few other countries using it step in and keeps the current Free(commercial supported) OTA ATSC 1.0 channels DRM free on ATSC 3.0 with much better quality). TVnext is so much more than just ATSC x.x period.

So bring on TVnext!

Edit: you may want to read this thread: 

Edited by TMCsw

denz

@softworkzhas been missing in action there has not been any updates on WMC-GUI in a while so that app is around 90% complete.

I am hopping with him being quiet he is doing this right now to give us a big update 

image.gif.bc2e2d68212550aa8b1675c24a783003.gif

Edited by denz

24 minutes ago, denz said:

@softworkzhas been missing in action there has not been any updates on WMC-GUI in a while so that app is around 90% complete.

I am hopping with him being quiet he is doing this right now to give us a big update 

I've been working on something different during the past few months, a beta will be available shortly but it's not TV related.

Regarding TVnext: I've kept quiet as long as it's on the razor's edge and maybe it still is.

The one thing I can say though is this: In case you'll see any other TV-related work being done in the beta rather than resuming where TVnext was left off, then you'd have a final answer, meaning that TVnext will never come. 
But still...fingers crossed...

• Like 1