To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

Flippz

If tvnext was not to be released that would be a crime. 

Any chance of you making it into a plug in? Or a standalone app and then a plug in like tvheadend etc? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flippz said:

If tvnext was not to be released that would be a crime. 

Yes. Hard to believe how someone could think otherwise.

1 hour ago, Flippz said:

Any chance of you making it into a plug in? Or a standalone app and then a plug in like tvheadend etc? 

It's too big for a plugin, but it is already something similar. Since migration and disruption of user experience had been brought up quite often as an argument against it (meaning that a switch from one day to the other would disrupt TV setup and functionality), I had changed  it to be switchable via command -line parameter. This means that you can start Emby Server with classic TV features or with TVnext. It is possible to switch from one to the other and back, and both configurations are retained. 

To enable this, only a small set of low-risk changes needs to be applied to the regular server code, The current combined codebase has server beta 4.8.0.36 as it's basis.  It can be updated to the latest server version within a few hours. 
I just need to hit a button, and an hour later there is a Windows installer setup ready to download. The installation can co-exist with a regular Emby Server installation because it uses a different installer and different ports (7... instead of 8...), allowing it to run side-by-side. And in addition to that, the server with TVnext allows you to switch between legacy TV and TVnext (restart required). This  provides maximum flexiibility for all cases and has effectively killed most concerns and arguments which had been made.

The bottom line is that there's are no technical reasons for which it could not be made available and there's no prerequisite work which would be needed  to be done first.

Though, I cannot publish this without consent. Whether it is made available or not is Emby's decision. It surely made sense to wait until after the release. But as we're past this now, I really hope that we can finally resume where we had left off.

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

gillmacca01

It would be a shame for all the hard work that would have gone into TVnext, for it to be abandoned 

• Like 1

Flippz
50 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Yes. Hard to believe how someone could think otherwise.

It's too big for a plugin, but it is already something similar. Since migration and disruption of user experience had been brought up quite often as an argument against it (meaning that a switch from one day to the other would disrupt TV setup and functionality), I had changed  it to be switchable via command -line parameter. This means that you can start Emby Server with classic TV features or with TVnext. It is possible to switch from one to the other and back, and both configurations are retained. 

To enable this, only a small set of low-risk changes needs to be applied to the regular server code, The current combined codebase has server beta 4.8.0.36 as it's basis.  It can be updated to the latest server version within a few hours. 
I just need to hit a button, and an hour later there is a Windows installer setup ready to download. The installation can co-exist with a regular Emby Server installation because it uses a different installer and different ports (7... instead of 8...), allowing it to run side-by-side. And in addition to that, the server with TVnext allows you to switch between legacy TV and TVnext (restart required). This  provides maximum flexiibility for all cases and has effectively killed most concerns and arguments which had been made.

The bottom line is that there's are no technical reasons for which it could not be made available and there's no prerequisite work which would be needed  to be done first.

Though, I cannot publish this without consent. Whether it is made available or not is Emby's decision. It surely made sense to wait until after the release. But as we're past this now, I really hope that we can finally resume where we had left off.

Omg, you have made all the steps you can to get this released. Great work. Let's hope they see your hard work and reward it and release TVNext Now. 

(any chance of taking tvnext elsewhere(🤔😉) if emby does not add it?) 

unisoft

so what's all the messing around then? is it the emby authority doesn't want to integrate yet or because a strategic change and no longer want it?

Faster channel changing alone looked ace - let alone adding any other features or improvements or support for other methods of tuning.

8 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

It would be a shame for all the hard work that would have gone into TVnext, for it to be abandoned 

Definitiely. And who would want to work for a company that acts like this...

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Flippz said:

(any chance of taking tvnext elsewhere(🤔😉) if emby does not add it?) 

No matter how much more work I've put into it beyond regular work times, it's still not mine - unfortunately.

3 hours ago, unisoft said:

so what's all the messing around then? is it the emby authority doesn't want to integrate yet or because a strategic change and no longer want it?

I don't want to speculate publicly about potential motivations, but strategies...no, there aren't any.

rbjtech
14 hours ago, softworkz said:

I've been working on something different during the past few months, a beta will be available shortly but it's not TV related.

🤔 You can't dangle a carrot like that and expect to get away scott free ... 🤣

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

🤔 You can't dangle a carrot like that and expect to get away scott free ... 🤣

I think I've mentioned it earlier, so you might be able to find it. It's just that as it's close to beta now, I didn't want to spoil it in a side note before there is an official announcement 🙂 

• Like 4

Flippz
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

No matter how much more work I've put into it beyond regular work times, it's still not mine - unfortunately.

Ahh i did not know you where an employee....

Just now, Flippz said:

Ahh i did not know you where an employee....

Not an employee but a contracted consultant.

Raptor6L
13 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

4 hours ago, softworkz said:

Definitiely. And who would want to work for a company that acts like this...

I don't want to speculate publicly about potential motivations, but strategies...no, there aren't any.

2 hours ago, softworkz said:

Not an employee but a contracted consultant.

Bloody hell, anybody would be forgiven for thinking that because they did not come up with TVNext, they don't want to implement it.

Somebody say it isn't so.

Chris 

bungee91

@softworkzthank you for sharing your honest and open feedback about this topic! Transparency goes a long way to the avid users of this forum and for Emby, even if it will likely piss off the man.

We can all feel your frustration through the examples and thoughts shared. Any dev that spent this much time and and forethought on how to design and implement this effectively with minimal disruption to the end user and the feature set it provides should be disappointed and frustrated as it sits unused or planned for inclusion.

Now that all being said, someone from Emby thought enough about the idea and to fund it. So, I remain hopeful it will see the light some day sooner than later.

However.... The recent poorly documented changes that impacted LiveTv for many people in recent beta's sounds as if it is a very separate direction that does not relate to or build up to implementing this larger change, which is unfortunate.

Alas... 

All I can say is, it's been a hell of an exciting day with all the notifications for replies to this topic. Practically Christmas time, however the gift boxes are still very empty. 😢

19 minutes ago, Raptor6L said:

Bloody hell, anybody would be forgiven for thinking that because they did not come up with TVNext, they don't want to implement it.

Somebody say it isn't so.

It isn't so. I had been tasked officially to do it. 

It just became a bit better than expected. Not as a surprise though, as concepts and progress were continuously documented.

3 minutes ago, bungee91 said:

wever.... The recent poorly documented changes that impacted LiveTv for many people in recent beta's sounds as if it is a very separate direction that does not relate to or build up to implementing this larger change, which is unfortunate.

Correct. It won't lead very far, neither work universally and reliably.

• Facepalm 1

arrbee99

So basically you can run your old TV install, add the new one and run together till any bugs are ironed out, then finally get rid of the old, all pretty seamlessly. Yes I can see why no-one would want that...

• Haha 1

justinrh
6 hours ago, softworkz said:

This doesn't give me warm fuzzies about Emby in general.

6 minutes ago, justinrh said:
6 hours ago, softworkz said:

This doesn't give me warm fuzzies about Emby in general.

I was referring to the area of TV specifically.

arrbee99

To me there's a bit of USP in this as well, or should be.

USP as in Unique Selling Proposition. Quite a good one would be, I'd have thought, 'yes but Emby has far and away the best Live TV implementation'./

I mean, its OKish now, but far and away the best, I think not.

• Agree 1

denz

This is a shame I am going to try today a competitor not plex product that I heard it has faster channel change. If it goes well it will be time to say goodbye. I rather pay Emby than the competitor since I have been with Emby since day one. Lack of polished apps it’s really starting frustrating I am getting constant complaints now that I have moved from WMC. It’s like we have been using WMC for over 20 years how come this software is so far behind in features and ease of use.

Since you are consultant can you product be adjusted to work with the Emby fork. 97% of my Emby usage is just live tv part. 

Lambtalk
1 hour ago, denz said:

This is a shame I am going to try today a competitor not plex product that I heard it has faster channel change. If it goes well it will be time to say goodbye. I rather pay Emby than the competitor since I have been with Emby since day one. Lack of polished apps it’s really starting frustrating I am getting constant complaints now that I have moved from WMC. It’s like we have been using WMC for over 20 years how come this software is so far behind in features and ease of use.

Since you are consultant can you product be adjusted to work with the Emby fork. 97% of my Emby usage is just live tv part. 

As a consultant working on a contract basis for Emby, they wouldn't own the development work completed, Emby would. 

So taking that work and applying it to Jellyfin or any other product would most likely be considered both a breach of contract and theft of intellectual property.

Guys, there's no point in fantasizing about such things because I would never do that.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

TMCsw
26 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Guys, there's no point in fantasizing about such things because I would never do that.

Personally I would never expect you to do anything like that (I believe you have integrity...)

so how can we get this “dual emby startup switch” for us minions?

And although I very mush prefer Linux I’ll test this in a Windows 10/11 VM ...

Thanks.

• Like 1