To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

jasonmcroy

@denzI am curious if you are just checking out the live TV and recording side of Channels or have you imported any other shows? Curious how you feel about the UI in general?

• Disagree 1

discovery75
38 minutes ago, jasonmcroy said:

Curious how you feel about the UI in general?

Have you seen Enhanced Library Browsing? It provides a better experience for libraries that have more content. It's turned off by default since people that just record items tend to have smaller libraries and it doesn't look as good. But also, the default views for large libraries aren't great either. You might want to give this a try.

https://getchannels.com/docs/apps/usage/enhanced-library-browsing/

Edited by discovery75

jasonmcroy
9 minutes ago, discovery75 said:

Have you seen Enhanced Library Browsing? It provides a better experience for libraries that have more content. It's turned off by default since people that just record items tend to have smaller libraries and it doesn't look as good. But also, the default views for large libraries aren't great either. You might want to give this a try.

https://getchannels.com/docs/apps/usage/enhanced-library-browsing/

Yes. I have actually used Channels for the past 5 years. I was more curious about how others felt regarding the UI.

I often jump back and forth between Emby and Channels. The only thing I currently miss in Channels is the Skip Intro feature in Emby. I love the GUI editor for commericial cuts in Channels. 

• Disagree 1

denz

Honestly it works great it hasn't missed a beat that is what I am after it's easy to use, yesterday my family picked it up straight away but got stuck trying to do a series for a new show pass is a confusing term. UI could do with a minor refresh currently there is no distinguishing a series recording from normal recording. Emby uses the same indicator as WMC and to me circle and double circle is universal so not sure why they went with an ugly colour for the cell. I am just blown away how fast it starts the recordings on the Ipad and on Android tv your finger hasn't even lifted and it's already on the screen. So the devs have done an outstanding job in the speed and stability whereas in Emby android clients is every time I use it I had to cross fingers will the channel tune or not you know it's not going to tune after it goes over the normal 10 seconds delay. Some do some don't maybe there is something specific to Australian market where's channels DVR has figured it out.  I also like that if something is recording and you click on it prompts you do you want to start at beginning or live. Used that yesterday to go straight live rather than beginning. It's these little details that make a product great. 

I haven't enabled the enhanced-library-browsing yet I just want to test the basics. The server has tone of options.  Theater is good in windows because you can use the windows keys like for example I asked Luke can you when you press the home button it takes you to the default screen so when you get lost you press home, you press recorded tv you get recordings guide button takes to the guide whereas Channels DVR doesn't have a windows client. Emby has lot of potential and areas for improvement just getting tired of asking and sometimes I feel that I am the only one using Live tv in emby. Like TV guide not working properly I must have asked so many times in the last nine years that I am finally over it now that I discovered Channels DVR. It wasn't a problem before as I used WMC in the main living room.

I have tried copying into the recordings folder but it didn't work it does work in the personal media and it organises it like in emby.

I probable should kept quiet now we have turned this topic " To complain about lacking TVnext progress" into Channels DVR review :) 

• Like 1

bungee91
15 hours ago, denz said:

I probable should kept quiet now we have turned this topic " To complain about lacking TVnext progress" into Channels DVR review :) 

You did, however... 😋

I think we should have a Channels DVR discussion topic, as I recently signed up as well and have been interested for a while.

The other thing is, TvNext does not make Emby more intuitive or feature rich from a user/GUI perspective and at this point we have zero hope or idea if or when that will occur. I'm all for these changes and building the foundation before you put on the polish. However the polish seems to be completely undetermined, fragmented, and overall a pipe dream at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

NEWS!

A final decision is imminent now.

All I can say is that it will be either yes or no - but nothing half-way.

No matter how the outcome - at this point I want to say a big thanks 💗  to all of you for your interest and for supporting this.
Thanks to all the testers who participated in the initial beta for all your work and effort in helping this to become a successfull parrt of Emby.

Also thanks to all the nice and friendly users and community members, moderators, admins and fellow developers who I've had the chance to work with and talk to so far, during the past few years!

Best wishes,
softworkz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Raptor6L

Excellent news that there is news! Hopefully it'll be positive. Thanks for the effort @softworkz!

With any luck, the hard work that has gone into this will bear fruit for all users that see benefit in it.

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 1

TMCsw
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

Well if it's no, I may have to 'mend' the cable... 🙄

• Like 1

Armageus

Even if the decision is yes, it'll be another year before beta And 2 years before it makes stable release 🤭

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

arrbee99
2 minutes ago, Armageus said:

Even if the decision is yes, it'll be another year before beta And 2 years before it makes stable release 🤭

'This is the (Emby) way'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

unisoft
On 03/03/2024 at 22:54, softworkz said:

NEWS!

A final decision is imminent now.

No matter how the outcome - at this point I want to say a big thanks 💗  to all of you for your interest and for supporting this.
Thanks to all the testers who participated in the initial beta for all your work and effort in helping this to become a successfull parrt of Emby.

Also thanks to all the nice and friendly users and community members, moderators, admins and fellow developers who I've had the chance to work with and talk to so far, during the past few years!

Best wishes,
softworkz

That sounds like a leaving speech :(

Not good as from what I've seen Softworkz and SamES do the actual coding work!

Not feeling that positive as it shouldn't have had this much grief for something that so overdue. Makes me wonder where Emby is going now....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

pünktchen
2 hours ago, unisoft said:

That sounds like a leaving speech

That was my thought too. I hope that's not the case, although i would understand if softworkz is leaving the Emby project in the event of a negativ decision.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

arrbee99

OTOH, softworkz does say  'had the chance to work with and talk to so far', so I live in hope.

• Like 1

pwhodges

Could the other devs really be considering actually junking a working development with the number of advantages we've been told about (notably, to my mind, a greatly expanded range of directly supported devices)?  That would be concerning as an indication of their judgement.  I hope if they do reject it, they are prepared to stand up and give solid reasons, but I fear that would not be entirely in character...

Paul

• Like 1

arrbee99

I still struggle to think of any reason to justify getting Emby over its competition to others who might ask as I can't see any big selling point for it. IMHO this feature could be that point. Hope it doesn't get thrown away.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

emveepee

I too read it as a leaving speech for softworx, (maybe contract over end of Feb?) but I also read that "in helping this to become a successfull parrt of Emby."  thinking it was going forward without him. If so that would be a big mistake.

Martin

• Like 1

Dibbes
23 minutes ago, skooogis said:

Waiting impatiently for the decision!!!!!

Very impatiently, but holding your breath wouldn't be a very good idea in this case... 🙂

• Haha 1

pschweig

I'm really hoping this gets implemented. Emby desperately needs this to improve its live tv functionality. To say I'm currently finding it flaky would be an understatement.

• Agree 1

justinrh

I'm wondering why Emby would choose to not implement it.  What was all the time and effort for?

arrbee99
22 hours ago, justinrh said:

I'm wondering why Emby would choose to not implement it.  What was all the time and effort for?

Ditto. I mean, far as I can tell, the object behind the new Android app is to replace two apps with one (?) so as to reduce the need for support. While its not guaranteed I'd have thought Emby would leap at a chance to reduce support for 'No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.' I get more and more, and there seem to be plenty of similar ones popping up here in posts as well.

TMCsw

JPTFB  (Just Push The F[reaking]  Button...(I used to use a utility named this...)) as SWZ said earlier...

As I said before I'm willing to test this in a WindowsX VM until it is considered stable enough to work on  a better OS (bet it already is...)

emveepee
14 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Ditto. I mean, far as I can tell, the object behind the new Android app is to replace two apps with one (?) so as to reduce the need for support.

If you think adding a new server for each of the platforms that Emby runs on and configuring all those new tuners reduces short term and long term support you are dreaming.  Migration alone for the existing users will be interesting.

Edited by emveepee
  • Disagree 1

pwhodges

Ah, the eternal argument against implementing change, even if it is beneficial...

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1