To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

23 minutes ago, hayrund said:

Is there a Linux and/or Docker version available or planned?  

But if you have tuners installed on Linux, you can still run it in a Windows VM and use the remote tuner access feature (through SSH). 

Edited by softworkz

Oh, there's also some good news, which I almost forgot, but I think I can tell, as it has been eventually greenlighted now:

It is a piece which had originally been part of TVnext. It's a plugin that we have separated out, for being able to deliver it earlier and independently.
Like I mentioned above, TVnext playback is specialized on live TV signals, which also means that it doesn't support "channels" which actually aren't live tv channels but just pointing to a remote file (like mp4 or mkv). It's sometimes used for VOD content which is provided as pseudo tv channels and where you can easily end up with like 50k of channels which aren't tv channels at all. Providers are doing like this, because most simple clients can't handle anything else but TV channels.

But we are Emby. Organization and presentation of media is our mission, and so we should be able to do better in handling such content than presenting it as thousands of tv channels. This is not just an inferior way of presentation - it also messes up the TV feature in many ways: searching for channels and other tv items, managing and maintaining your channels, handling EPG mappings, making recordings, and it also can negatively affect performance. 

There's a plugin coming up shortly (for the betas) to fill this gap and have such content managed and presented a bit more like an Emby library instead of tv "channels".

Official announcement will follow.

• Like 2

pwhodges
On 04/08/2023 at 05:10, Luke said:

Hi, what specific feature are you asking about?

To be blunt, that's not the point.  We were told back in January that a complete new TV system was ready for wider testing.  It is clear from the descriptions that this is not something that can be slipped in piecemeal, so the question is simply when will the new TV system be brought into the public beta stream.  Asking about specific features worryingly implies that you might even consider soon-to-be-wasted work on the current TV system (just delaying things further).

In any case, from my POV there are multiple "specific features" of the new system which I would like to see.

I presume, from the fact that the time from 4.7 stable to 4.8 stable is becoming so long, that you wish to complete that milestone first.  But after that, is there actually anything more important than getting this show on the road?

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

arrbee99

'For the software side, there exists an installable setup of the Windows server with TVnext (based on 4.8.0.39).'

Believe me, I know how to prevaricate, but Emby really is in a different league. You must have spectacular patience to survive this. Pretty much the same stuff has been said for years. Its been sitting and sitting. Just rename it to 4.9.0.1 and make it crystal clear what it is and release it. Its not like a stable version will arrive any time soon anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

unisoft

HBB TV. Any plans to support HBB/MHEG?

A number of channels in the UK (and Europe) are delivered by IP in an EPG and need HBBTV (Hybrid broadcast broadband TV) middleware.

Edited by unisoft

26 minutes ago, unisoft said:

HBB TV. Any plans to support HBB/MHEG?

A number of channels in the UK (and Europe) are delivered by IP in an EPG and need HBBTV (Hybrid broadcast broadband TV) middleware.

MHEG rather unlikely. It's a standard for interactive TV applications (not broadcast) and it's not really wide-spread at all.

HbbTV is a standard comprising a ton of different things and made for implementation of set-top boxes or smart tv included features. Originally it was primarily focused on (or widely known only for) providing rich EPG information - and that's the part which I had already been looking into and which seems doable.
Other parts like catch-up TV, recording, timeshift (pause/resume/replay) are totally pointless because that's what we're doing already.
Regarding VOD/IPTV: I don't know whether this makes sense at all and whether there aren't other ways to get the same content. Well have to see.

But the focus would be on the basics. And as mentioned above, there's no indication about when or whether something in that direction might get started.

21 hours ago, softworkz said:

Some features - maybe. But I'm not that much afraid of it being paralleled any soon - yet, you never know...

This is kind of happening with ATSC 3.0.  They are adding encryption such that the HDHomerun app eventually will apparently be the only thing that can decrypt.

Edited by cncb

6 minutes ago, cncb said:

This is kind of happening with ATSC 3.0.  They are adding encryption such that the HDHomerun app eventually will apparently be the only thing that can decrypt.

Encrypted channels are nothing new. They even existed earlier than free-view channels in the history of digital TV. AFAIK there are FTC regulations in the US which mandate a certain amount of OTA channel to be free and unencrypted.

Spaceboy
21 hours ago, softworkz said:

I didn't mean it like that. What I meant is that whichever version would include it, should be numbered 5.x 🙂 

Also, there's no fixed sequence. The next one will be 4.8, but that doesn't mean that it will be followed by 4.9. And if it would be a 4.9, there's again no rule that the following would be a 5.0. It could also be a 4.10...

well... based on the length of the current beta (now 14months, and lets not forget we were promised at the last stable release that future beta rounds would try to be shorter 🙃) its reasonable to predict not seeing it in stable til October 2024 :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Encrypted channels are nothing new. They even existed earlier than free-view channels in the history of digital TV.

It is new on OTA channels in the US.  I will have to stop using Emby if I want to continue to watch and record ATSC 3.0.

unisoft
On 06/08/2023 at 15:50, softworkz said:

MHEG rather unlikely. It's a standard for interactive TV applications (not broadcast) and it's not really wide-spread at all.

HbbTV is a standard comprising a ton of different things and made for implementation of set-top boxes or smart tv included features. Originally it was primarily focused on (or widely known only for) providing rich EPG information - and that's the part which I had already been looking into and which seems doable.
Other parts like catch-up TV, recording, timeshift (pause/resume/replay) are totally pointless because that's what we're doing already.
Regarding VOD/IPTV: I don't know whether this makes sense at all and whether there aren't other ways to get the same content. Well have to see.

But the focus would be on the basics. And as mentioned above, there's no indication about when or whether something in that direction might get started.

MHEG5 was over the air for interactive applications, like calling a broadcast stream up by pressing the RED button on the remote as one example, but largely replaced by HBBTV as it can be used to deliver IP based channels. The broadcast DVB stream has a link to IP app.

unisoft
19 hours ago, cncb said:

It is new on OTA channels in the US.  I will have to stop using Emby if I want to continue to watch and record ATSC 3.0.

In the UK, the free to air platform uses encryption for the over the air broadcast 7 day EPG for HD channels (but not SD channels). Microsoft got round it by downloading guide data from the net, or people just set the HD channel to use the SD EPG data as same/or near similar programmes schedule.

Raptor6L

Hi all

Well, it's been some time since I last visited the Emby forums, and I must say finding this thread and the work done by @softworkzis a pretty big eye opener. Great job @softworkzand thanks for putting in the hard yards and no doubt countless hours to fill in the biggest pitfall this fantastic bit of software has!

What a bloody shame my total awe has turned into total disbelief at the total lack of support from the Emby team to get this into the public arena for testing, get the worst of the bugs ironed out of it and get it released. This should have been fast tracked, not railroaded!!!

On 04/08/2023 at 14:10, Luke said:

Hi, what specific feature are you asking about?

Really? How about everything @Luke!

Emby is great but the live tv set up we've currently got is not up to scratch (not even close!) when compared to the rest of the Emby experience. This TvNext though sounds like exactly what the Emby Live Tv experience should be like - that is to say Next Level!

Get it done!!!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

arrbee99

Find it kind of ironic, every time there's the slightest problem with the Android TV app we get @Lukesaying trying sideloading the new version and see if it fixes it, yet with llive TV there's also a version we could use to see if it'll fix TV problems, yet all we hear is crickets, we've had crickets for years, and nothing ever changes.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Find it kind of ironic, every time there's the slightest problem with the Android TV app we get @Lukesaying trying sideloading the new version and see if it fixes it, yet with llive TV there's also a version we could use to see if it'll fix TV problems, yet all we hear is crickets, we've had crickets for years, and nothing ever changes.

The standard app is usually ahead in development so the reason for asking that is a troubleshooting step, just to gather information about whether the newer development has made a difference. The sideloading is not ideal, but temporary.

arrbee99
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

The standard app is usually ahead in development so the reason for asking that is a troubleshooting step, just to gather information about whether the newer development has made a difference. The sideloading is not ideal, but temporary.

Yes, but thats not the point. The point is, as I'm sure you're aware, is that one is being worked on, and the other is being ignored.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Guest CodeCat5
On 8/10/2023 at 5:15 PM, arrbee99 said:

Yes, but thats not the point. The point is, as I'm sure you're aware, is that one is being worked on, and the other is being ignored.

Just a guess, but perhaps they're waiting until the new Android app is done to implement things? I can see how it would be hard to justify putting anymore work into a code base that will soon be deprecated.

daldana

I find it interesting that @Luke responds when anything about android vs android tv is mentioned, but he is radio silent about the Live TV update which is the topic of this thread! Why might that be?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, CodeCat5 said:

Just a guess, but perhaps they're waiting until the new Android app is done to implement things? I can see how it would be hard to justify putting anymore work into a code base that will soon be deprecated.

This is definitely not a reason.

arrbee99
3 hours ago, daldana said:

I find it interesting that @Luke responds when anything about android vs android tv is mentioned, but he is radio silent about the Live TV update which is the topic of this thread! Why might that be?

Hmm. Maybe because there's only so many times you can say 'we're working as hard and as fast as we can', which I certainly do not doubt, but it's just a variation on not answering the question.

Guest CodeCat5
On 8/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, softworkz said:

This is definitely not a reason.

Well never mind then. Guess I put my pitchfork away too soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
daldana

Damn, I'm getting completely fed up by @Lukeand @ebrignoring Live TV users! Almost another month goes by from the last post in this thread and still no comment (on topic anyway) from either of them! What's it going to take?!?!?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1