To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

arrbee99

Yes, I think I saw something about using an m3u file, I guess like can be used for NextPVR to Emby.

Still, shouldn't be necessary, said he loudly...

arrbee99

Though never ever loudly enough to get a reply from Luke

• Haha 6

denz
2 hours ago, jasonmcroy said:

Use their feature called Channel Collections. https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/how-to/channel-collections/

They also have a great way to edit the commerical cuts if they are off (and you're right, it's usually pretty spot on for most channels) with a little GUI editor you can access from the web UI. It shows the thumbnails for each cut and you can modify it as needed. 

This is on another level customisation you are life saver without the video no way will have been able to figure it out. It can also create dynamic categories impressive. When you arrange channels you can see them being reordered in real time. Tuner sharing you have to manually enable it I have been now running the same channel for 30 minutes on 4 devices so far not noticing any issues on any device. I still can't get over the joy of being able to do channel surfing wish I discovered this when the tennis was on so I can swap quickly between the three channels.  I was going how the hell do you series record something than they have something called create pass and there it is bit of a weird term.  If you start a recording late it actually informs you when you select the recording. Channels DVR left of where WMC stopped. Just have to test do the emby recordings work in it and do more series testing this week if everything works then will swap over.  Then will just be a visitor to these forums from time to time to see are there any updates worth testing.  

I was reading on their forum they seem to respond very fast someone said they are using mpv backend which doesn't make sense how come in emby has so much issues with it. When the channel actually tunes the picture is no where near as good as from Channels DVR. Most time it's a failure to launch a channel. When they are charging $80 per year they can afford the devs to create their own backend I assume. The huge advantage they have is they support very few devices but they make sure it works perfectly on those devices which is much better than supporting 100 devices but not one working on any of them 100%. So far in a full day and a bit not a single issue to report on any device. So well done to the team for making an exceptional product. 

I will try the editor that sounds perfect for movies that I want to keep. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jasonmcroy

Glad you're enjoying it. If you run into issues or have questions on how to do things, the community and Devs in their forum are pretty great at helping out.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks 1

denz

Noticed that they are very active which is what you want to see. 

jasonmcroy
3 hours ago, Flippz said:

But I channels dvr does not have any feature to add users right? 

I believe that is correct. It is something that has been brought up several times.

I don’t need to add different users so honestly I never paid much attention to those threads about it on the forum.

• Disagree 1

Flippz

It's horrible that everyone who has WiFi access has access to admin the channels dvr. And having no users is not a good thing. Had it not been for that it's a no brainier to switch from emby to channels dvr

roaku

Might be time to update the thread title.

spaghetti

Looks like I'm going to eat my words, I tried it and on their website looks cool but the UI compared to emby is not for me. I loaded all my media and live tv to it and the live channels are fast and they don't freeze which is nice but I like emby UI better way better actually I would not change to that over emby no way, even if emby never fixes the live tv I still would not switch. Not to sound like a complete dick but it feels cheap compared to emby 😅 sorry just being honest. Installing that just made me appreciate emby all the more to be honest. Also the channels dvr missed loads of my movies/series and had lots of wrong metadata which is not a big deal but nah.. it's not for me, good luck though!

• Agree 1

Flippz
1 minute ago, spaghetti said:

Looks like I'm going to eat my words, I tried it and on their website looks cool but the UI compared to emby is not for me. I loaded all my media and live tv to it and the live channels are fast and they don't freeze which is nice but I like emby UI better way better actually I would not change to that over emby no way, even if emby never fixes the live tv I still would not switch. Not to sound like a complete dick but it feels cheap compared to emby 😅 sorry just being honest. Installing that just made me appreciate emby all the more to be honest. Also the channels dvr missed loads of my movies/series and had lots of wrong metadata which is not a big deal but nah.. it's not for me, good luck though!

Been trying it a few hours too, and I have to say I agree with you 👍

jasonmcroy

Yeah, the UI does leave a bit to be desired compared to Emby. It just depends on what is most important to the user. In my use case, it doesn't totally matter, although there is a lot of room for improvement. I do know there are some users that only use Channels for recording but use Emby or even Plex for watching. 

There are things I love about Emby but feel I can live without by comparison. But, everyone uses these pieces of software differently too. 

For me, if Emby were able to incorporate the comskip commercial detection with a gui that would allow me to alter the cuts the way they do in Channels, I would totally change back. That is what I personally find most important in my use case. 

At least you were willing to try it out and see what works for you. 

• Disagree 1

kimmer2k

I use Channels DVR for live or recorded non-series TV. I use Emby for all other video content, but have been forced to use Infuse as a front end on my TV when Emby chokes on my 4k media.

spaghetti
17 minutes ago, jasonmcroy said:

Yeah, the UI does leave a bit to be desired compared to Emby. It just depends on what is most important to the user. In my use case, it doesn't totally matter, although there is a lot of room for improvement. I do know there are some users that only use Channels for recording but use Emby or even Plex for watching. 

There are things I love about Emby but feel I can live without by comparison. But, everyone uses these pieces of software differently too. 

For me, if Emby were able to incorporate the comskip commercial detection with a gui that would allow me to alter the cuts the way they do in Channels, I would totally change back. That is what I personally find most important in my use case. 

At least you were willing to try it out and see what works for you. 

For recording live tv I use tivimate, nothing loads channels faster and the recordings always work 100%. I created a shared folder on windows the same server my emby is on and have it on my desktop to record to, then I have tivimate on 4 tv's that are set to use the shared folder to record to that way all 4 tv's can record to that same shared folder. I use emby for everything else except live tv I might just take the live tv off emby we never use it. Also tivimate was like $20 for 5 devices lifetime subscription and it is way faster than channels dvr it loads channels instant no wait time. But if they can get this channels dvr on emby to make tv live faster go for it!

spaghetti
4 minutes ago, kimmer2k said:

I use Channels DVR for live or recorded non-series TV. I use Emby for all other video content, but have been forced to use Infuse as a front end on my TV when Emby chokes on my 4k media.

Chokes on 4k media, how fast is your bandwidth ? do you run a proxy ? do you use transcoding ? is your computer fast ram etc ? does this happen remotely or inside your network or both ? 4k for me plays fine always. Is your emby server hard wired or on wifi and how many people are connected to your emby server ?

denz

But the thing Channels DVR just works were emby does not. Tv guide has been broken since I can remember. It’s a lottery will the channel start or not, picture quality is not as good as Channels DVR. If people don’t believe me I can make a recording on my phone . Everyone is different I have been using it for over 2 days and it’s a joy to use it as everything works so far. I have to test it thoroughly to see are there issues so far did about 40 recordings no issue live tv is joy to use again.

Edit:

I have tried both the stable and beta Android TV and Android Client and both have same issue some live tv channels work some don't. Whereas in Channels DVR I haven't experienced any of that. Windows Theater the picture is really good and not once has it failed to tune to a channel it's slow but it tunes.  The interface of Channels could be better but once you get used to it I have no complaints. 

Edited by denz
  • Thanks 1

kimmer2k
2 hours ago, spaghetti said:

Chokes on 4k media, how fast is your bandwidth ? do you run a proxy ? do you use transcoding ? is your computer fast ram etc ? does this happen remotely or inside your network or both ? 4k for me plays fine always. Is your emby server hard wired or on wifi and how many people are connected to your emby server ?

Wired, local, no transcoding, etc. Haven’t spent time collecting logs or debugging. Seems to happen when trying to resume a movie, but not always. It just freezes in Emby and I have to finish it in Infuse or Emby app on the phone. fwiw, this is on Apple TV which I have seen other report issues as well. 

spaghetti
13 hours ago, kimmer2k said:

Wired, local, no transcoding, etc. Haven’t spent time collecting logs or debugging. Seems to happen when trying to resume a movie, but not always. It just freezes in Emby and I have to finish it in Infuse or Emby app on the phone. fwiw, this is on Apple TV which I have seen other report issues as well. 

If you want to start your own new topic on this I would be happy to help you get 4k working, there are lots of smart people on here that love to help as well, just post your new thread link here after your done so this thread can stay on topic.

• Like 1

Flippz
17 hours ago, denz said:

But the thing Channels DVR just works were emby does not. Tv guide has been broken since I can remember. It’s a lottery will the channel start or not, picture quality is not as good as Channels DVR. If people don’t believe me I can make a recording on my phone . Everyone is different I have been using it for over 2 days and it’s a joy to use it as everything works so far. I have to test it thoroughly to see are there issues so far did about 40 recordings no issue live tv is joy to use again.

Edit:

I have tried both the stable and beta Android TV and Android Client and both have same issue some live tv channels work some don't. Whereas in Channels DVR I haven't experienced any of that. Windows Theater the picture is really good and not once has it failed to tune to a channel it's slow but it tunes.  The interface of Channels could be better but once you get used to it I have no complaints. 

I could easely live with Channels dvr if it had multiple users. How do you get around that? I mean my son uses emby all the time, on his phone, on his TV and on his PC. Its just not happening that he's getting ADMIN to my install. Same for my GF

• Haha 1

spaghetti
1 minute ago, Flippz said:

I could easely live with Channels dvr if it had multiple users. How do you get around that? I mean my son uses emby all the time, on his phone, on his TV and on his PC. Its just not happening that he's getting ADMIN to my install. Same for my GF

That is something you should probably ask them on their forums.

Flippz

Yea i know, but apperantly they treat multiple users the same emby treats live tv. They just dont talk about it. I just wish that @Lukewould come in here and give us a final is it happening or not!

• Haha 2

roaku
32 minutes ago, Flippz said:

Yea i know, but apperantly they treat multiple users the same emby treats live tv. They just dont talk about it. I just wish that @Lukewould come in here and give us a final is it happening or not!

• Like 1

spaghetti
40 minutes ago, Flippz said:

Are you looking just for something to watch live tv and that actually just works ? Tivimate has a free version and nothing is faster when it comes to changing channels and the channels always work perfect, the paid version is still only $20 just add it to your device the free version and be done with it. Then use emby for movies and series until emby figures out what they are doing. Everyone is annoyed that live tv has issues on emby including me I get that but in the meantime use what does work, add your m3u in tivimate and be done with it, channels dvr doesn't even come close to how fast tivimate is in fact nothing is as fast. I will start a thread for this with different ways that work for different setups and user needs after I have another coffee 🙂 

• Like 1

denz
4 hours ago, spaghetti said:

Are you looking just for something to watch live tv and that actually just works ? Tivimate has a free version and nothing is faster when it comes to changing channels and the channels always work perfect, the paid version is still only $20 just add it to your device the free version and be done with it. Then use emby for movies and series until emby figures out what they are doing. Everyone is annoyed that live tv has issues on emby including me I get that but in the meantime use what does work, add your m3u in tivimate and be done with it, channels dvr doesn't even come close to how fast tivimate is in fact nothing is as fast. I will start a thread for this with different ways that work for different setups and user needs after I have another coffee 🙂 

I will check it out as I am still testing Channels DVR but does it support HDHomeRun. I will have a look now so far lowing Channel DVR I have replaced Emby on the main tv and family loves it they said why haven’t you haven’t you installed it before as everything works the main guide and live tv. We are currently switching between the two until all recordings have been watched 

Edit:

Had a look at it this is for advanced users it has far too many options. I will stick to Channels DVR 2-3 seconds channel change I am happy with that

Edited by denz