To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

TVnext uses the low-level API for HDHR. The orphaned tuner problem does not happen that way.

Are you able to dig out some API documentation for the Ceton http API which fHDHR is using?
That would be very useful for adding Ceton support.

Dan_Austin

The orphaned tuner is when a Roku turns off or disconnects without backing out of a stream.  It has been around for a long time and is rumored to be solved.  I was just noting that in some cases tuning could be fast.  I even debated using a Roku to tune my favorite channels and then disconnecting it to leave those tuners open.  Other than potentially filling my transcoding temp it would make tuning the channels I like most really fast.

I never found a good document on the Ceton.  I used a packet sniffer to capture traffic between a Windows system and the external tuner using the CetonProxy app.  All channel setup, tuning and teardown is done use a REST API, even with the PCI cards.    Media is then either streamed from the external device or read from a Linux device file for the PCI card.  Windows would support the external device, but  I do not know if there are any modern Windows drivers.  If you are not opposed to using REST, I can write a quick summary of the methods used in my plugin for fHDHR.

emveepee
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

Are you able to dig out some API documentation for the Ceton http API which fHDHR is using?
That would be very useful for adding Ceton support.

Since the SageTV implementation is Apache this might be the best you can find https://github.com/enternoescape/opendct/blob/master/src/main/java/opendct/capture/InfiniTVCaptureDevice.java  You have the UPnP discovery rtp etc.

2 hours ago, Dan_Austin said:

The orphaned tuner is when a Roku turns off or disconnects without backing out of a stream.  It has been around for a long time and is rumored to be solved. 

You mean that Emby doesn't recognize that the Roku goes offline and keeps receiving the channel because it might assume that playback has just been paused?

I even debated using a Roku to tune my favorite channels and then disconnecting it to leave those tuners open.  Other than potentially filling my transcoding temp it would make tuning the channels I like most really fast.

TVnext can do that without filling your disks and without active transcoding. Currently it's doing this only in the form of a "Tuner-Keepalive" feature where you can control for how long a mux should be continued to be received after it's not used anymore. If the tuner would be required for something else though, it will be used for that.

I never found a good document on the Ceton.  I used a packet sniffer to capture traffic between a Windows system and the external tuner using the CetonProxy app.  All channel setup, tuning and teardown is done use a REST API, even with the PCI cards

Yes, those PCI cards are not much different from the external devices - in either case the actual tuners are network tuners. This is due to a requirement by the 'Ocur' specification for CableCard protected channel reception.

Media is then either streamed from the external device or read from a Linux device file for the PCI card.  Windows would support the external device, but  I do not know if there are any modern Windows drivers.  If you are not opposed to using REST, I can write a quick summary of the methods used in my plugin for fHDHR.

Ideal would be one way that works everywhere. Ceton devices are not that wide-spread (anymore at least) that we can go big circles for it, and what makes it really difficult is that I don't have such device available for testing.

kimmer2k
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

that I don't have such device available for testing.

I think the community can fix that for you if this is the only roadblock, just let us know :)

Just now, kimmer2k said:

I think the community can fix that for you if this is the only roadblock, just let us know :)

Even when I had a device it won't work with the DVB signals I have available, but a VPN setup might help.
I'll let you know when I get to it. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
hayrund

Any additional timeline on this?  It looks like it will be amazing.

Will this support TVEverywhere (TVE) as well?  That would allow me to drop the use of ChannelsDVR finally.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

bungee91
On 1/6/2023 at 12:58 PM, bungee91 said:

Appreciate the response Luke. I'm sure there are many variables, but do feel that certain configurations/setup should get priority if the amount of variables are leading to this being held up further than reasonable (platforms, apps, tuners, etc.).

I know you don't want to (nor will you be held to it) but would you humor us in saying that you feel this will be available in a limited closed beta, or just beta server/app in:

1. 0 - 6 months
  2. 6 - 12 months
  3. 1+ year

I think that would be very helpful in setting some expectation here. As opposed to many people checking for updates to find out things very unrelated to this initiative being worked on and implemented (I'm sure people want those too, but...). Thanks

@Lukeany input to setting an expectation in some way as discussed above back in January? Come on throw us a bone, or something... ☺️

arrbee99
On 4/17/2023 at 7:52 AM, arrbee99 said:

@Lukethis must have made it to the top of the list by now surely ?

On 4/18/2023 at 1:34 AM, bungee91 said:

@Lukeany input to setting an expectation in some way as discussed above back in January? Come on throw us a bone, or something... ☺️

@Lukeplease tell us something concrete is happening.

• Agree 4

We are working on other things right now but will be circling back to this to look at how best to integrate it. Thanks.

• Like 4

arrbee99
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

We are working on other things right now but will be circling back to this to look at how best to integrate it. Thanks.

Sounds good. Please try to keep that radius really tight though...

• Agree 4

• 1 month later...
bungee91

Just checking in on any update or news that can be shared regarding this impressive development? I know there have been other high-impact priorities, however still excited to get to use this at some point. It's been almost 6 months since I started this thread (crazy!). 🥺

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

arrbee99

Yes, we like to call him that after the unfortunate incident with the bungee chord (but don't tell anyone...)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, hayrund said:

@LukeAny update on this?  It's been nearly 4 months since we've heard any meaningful word back on this.

Hi, what specific feature are you asking about?

hayrund
51 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what specific feature are you asking about?

I think that most of us here have seen the Google Docs spreadsheet of features... and Softworkz was quoted as saying this is a full replacement of everything TV.

I currently use a combination of Channels DVR and Xteve to satisfy live tv and DVR needs.  I've tried Emby in the past, but it just wasn't as stable or have as many features as the others.  I think many of us are hoping that this is the re-write that makes live tv worthwhile on Emby.

1 hour ago, hayrund said:

I think that most of us here have seen the Google Docs spreadsheet of features... and Softworkz was quoted as saying this is a full replacement of everything TV.

I currently use a combination of Channels DVR and Xteve to satisfy live tv and DVR needs.  I've tried Emby in the past, but it just wasn't as stable or have as many features as the others.  I think many of us are hoping that this is the re-write that makes live tv worthwhile on Emby.

Can you please be more specific about what feature you feel is missing? Thanks.

arrbee99

I would would like to know when its all going to be moved wholesale into Emby.

• Agree 4

neik
34 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I would would like to know when its all going to be moved wholesale into Emby.

Amen!