To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

denz

No way would I expect that of him or anyone else. What I meant if he did it in his own time and wasn't paid for Emby. 

denz

I have tried the competitor product and it has one job and blows Emby away how good it is. 

The things that I loved channel change is under 3 seconds what a beautiful experience seeing channels change that quickly. Every change worked 100% not a single issue I must have changed channels at least 40 times. Closed the app and opened it again worked every single time. In Emby changing channels is a lottery some channels work some not at all you have to try few times for it to tune, tuning if works takes around 10 seconds. Picture is dull and it's not smooth it's hard to explain like it's not sharp when you watch sport. 

Picture quality is far superior to Emby it's vibrant, it's deinterlaced. 

When you click on a guide it asks you do you want to watch the recording or live. If you watch the recording you can skip. In Emby it doesn't do that when you watch a recording the skip doesn't work. 

It's very simple to use. The OSD on screen is minimal. 

On Emby windows client the tunning is slow but I never had an issue where a channel didn't tune and the picture is the same as the competitor client on Android.

What I don't like. 

It's ridiculously expansive for what it does and then I have to pay additional for guide data. So this is a huge drawback. 

I will keep testing in for a two weeks and then get my family to try it. 

It doesn't have option to add additional libraries like music and my Blu-ray files.  

arrbee99

Does the competitor have a name ?

I find NextPVR good, but don't think its really a sharing thing (household or similar I mean).

spaghetti

I have live tv installed on my emby server it's just for looks only meaning the cover art looks nice the guide looks nice but no one in my house actually uses it. We all use tivimate for live tv and emby for movies and tv series only, live tv is just to look at only on emby without watching since it does not work good.

kimmer2k
25 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I find NextPVR good, but don't think its really a sharing thing (household or similar I mean).

not OP but Channels DVR is the best solution I found for Live TV. The big downside is that it’s a subscription only pricing model.

denz
30 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Channels DVR

denz

I would gladly pay extra for working live tv in Emby. I can get Disney + for the same price here is Australia as I can get Channels DRV so this is a huge negative. If it was half price I wouldn't hesitate as $5 a month is very reasonable. They concentrated on one area and from the tests they have certainly nailed it. Emby tries to be jack of all trades but master of none. Every client is like 90% finished but the last 10% seems to be taking for ever.  

spaghetti
11 hours ago, softworkz said:

Definitiely. And who would want to work for a company that acts like this...

I wouldn't even bother with waiting years to have them ignore you and not respond it's an insult to you, as my wife says what's on pretend tv on emby lol it's there but don't work. The guide looks great lol but yeah emby is only made for movies and series not live tv they are afraid of change and rather the broken recordings glitching and long start times it's what everyone loves right. Just release what you have to the public 😄 I think mediaportal works better for live tv than emby for crying out loud. I run proxmox with every media server on the planet as I like to fiddle with stuff even old servers I like just to test out things. softworkz good luck my friend I think the emby team is giving you the cold shoulder sadly even though it makes them look foolish.

• Agree 1

denz

In another thread I have been complaining about the TV guide not working properly for years however since I was using WMC it wasn't a deal breaker as I used emby on the phone on the ipad so it wasn't even an issue now that I have replaced WMC it's complaint after complaint from my family about the tv guide not working. Then I discovered that softworkz had it working over a year ago but Luke didn't apply the patches like come on. The most vital part of Live TV is the correctly working Tv Guide. That is the first thing I tested with Channels DVR does the guide work properly.  What is the point of the TV if you have no TV Guide :)

jasonmcroy

@denz You’re right that channels dvr doesn’t do music, but you can add your bluray rips in its own library. Both movies and TV Shows.

arrbee99

Doubt if I want to get another server (ChannelsDVR). I mean for me Emby Live TV works, but it so obviously could be so much better. As mentioned, if I want speed, I go NextPVR, or I can use Kodi linked up to Emby and NextPVR, but poor substitutes.

And while I appreciate all the work that goes into everything Emby, I have absolutely no idea how (if) they prioritise what to do next, it makes zero sense to me, but I've never had to make such decisions either, so what do I know.

But if its there, use it, exclamation mark...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

spaghetti
20 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Doubt if I want to get another server (ChannelsDVR). I mean for me Emby Live TV works, but it so obviously could be so much better. As mentioned, if I want speed, I go NextPVR, or I can use Kodi linked up to Emby and NextPVR, but poor substitutes.

And while I appreciate all the work that goes into everything Emby, I have absolutely no idea how (if) they prioritise what to do next, it makes zero sense to me, but I've never had to make such decisions either, so what do I know.

But if its there, use it, exclamation mark...

Did you say kodi 🤪 throwback from 2000 heh 😁 ? for you, how long does it take for a channel to load in emby on your server ?

arrbee99

Don't use Kodi very often, just like the occasional play, and I love the new skin called Copacetic (I like big backdrops and I cannot lie...)

Channels wise, dunno really, 6 or 7 seconds for OTA (dvb-s). But I've just moved my PC where the tuner card is installed and I have to make some new longer coax cables to reach, so I'm on iptv at the moment, which is a bit quicker, but can be erratic playing wise.

kimmer2k
23 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I would give Channels DVR a try. I was a longtime WMC user but decided to move away from it after my hard drive crashed. I could not stand how long Emby took switching channels so used NextPVR next. But then I got continual complaints from the wifey about the UX, so decided to go Channels DVR. While I hate the thought of paying yet another subscription, Channels DVR seems to be a good solution.

P.S. You are a brave for using Kodi... I feel like the UX is worse than when it was XBMC on the original Xbox, just my opinion. ;)

arrbee99

Well, I might give it a go seeing as there's a free trial. Still have to get round to doing the cable thing though.

• Like 1

spaghetti

Oh snap, I just seen their website that looks nuts, can you load your saved movies and series to it ? now it all makes sense, that looks way better than emby no wonder they want nothing to do with it.

denz
4 hours ago, jasonmcroy said:

@denz You’re right that channels dvr doesn’t do music, but you can add your bluray rips in its own library. Both movies and TV Shows.

Yes I have discovered that later. I have been watching tv for the last two hours it’s 40 outside at the moment couldn’t stay in the pool anymore. What a joy it is being able to quickly change channels absolutely love it.The main thing is that everything so far works. Emby Android client even without the fast channel change has a long way to go to be polished as this. Tested everything that doesn’t work properly in Emby and everything works on Channels DVR. Have no idea what the Emby Android client is doing when after 10 seconds all you get blank screen for some channels you try again and it may work it may not but eventually if you keep trying it will work. Watching sport just looks perfect in the competitor produce in Emby the picture is just horrible for sport it’s not watchable. I better not let my family try this app otherwise they will demand I buy it.

Guest CodeCat5

This is definitely a shame to read, I was really looking forward to a better live TV experience with Emby. One of the main reasons I originally switched from Plex (and purchased Premier) nearly 4 years ago was because of how poorly the live TV/DVR features in Plex were implemented, and at the time Emby was rock solid in comparison. Since then though a lot has changed on Plex's end while Emby has remained almost stagnant. It was probably a year or so ago when I started to give Plex another look and realized I was missing out on a lot of great features (not just with live TV, but with the rest of the media server as well). While Plex's live TV still isn't perfect, it's come a long way and has met 99% of my needs for the last year. So for those looking for a better solution here, Plex might be worth another look if you haven't tried it out in a while, especially if you happen to have an old lifetime pass collecting dust like I did.

denz

I tried plex last year and after half an hour I cancelled the subscription found it horrible didn’t like the interface it was giving some rubbish movies tidal music  something found it clunky didn’t like it at all. Live TV seems an afterthought in Emby you think it will improve but it doesn’t. Channels DVR is very impressive I tried it on 2 android tv to test tuner sharing and it’s flawless so far still hasn’t failed. Trying it on my iPad it’s so much quicker than Emby client.

I will give it another week of testing and if everything is working properly bite the bullet and buy year subscription and hopefully Emby improves in a year. Now that I have tried Channels DVR it’s like going backwards using Emby wish I wasn’t saying this but it’s the truth. 4.8 took over a year to release and I havent noticed one thing compared to 4.7 that my experience is better now so was looking forward to 4.9 to see some big changes and nothing so to say I am disappointed is an understatement 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest CodeCat5

@denzYea, some of the extra stuff Plex will try to push is a bit annoying, but most of it is just a matter of un-pinning it from your sidebar. I don't see Tidal, any of their on demand movies, or really anything besides my own content. The only exception is that I do have Plex's FAST channels enabled since they appear separate from my HDHomerun channels, and there are a couple I might be interested in.

You can't really go wrong with Channels DVR either though, I think it's pretty much the gold standard at this point. I bought their $25 stand-alone live TV app a while ago and even that without the DVR has been great. If Plex ever starts giving me issues again then Channels DVR would likely be next in line, but for me personally it's hard to justify a monthly subscription when what I already have does 99% of what I need it to.

denz

It certainly is watched three recordings and just realised while watching it has skip commercials and it’s accurate I have always gone back just to see and it very accurate. It’s very easy to use I can see that my family would pick it up much quicker than theater. 

i looked at my past history I started complaining about slow channel change in 2014 and can’t find a complaint about the tv guide as a separate topic but would say it would be at similar time. WMC had fast channel change when it was released all the way back in 2002

If Emby offered something like 20 to 40 per year for excellent service as Channels DVR I think many people will sign up without hesitation. 120 plus 50 for guide data that is 170 AUD it’s very expensive per year I can get Disney and Prime for that so it’s not going to easy paying that but so far it works perfectly and brings joy when you can surf channels I rather have something that is polished than not. Have to figure how to change channel order. 

jasonmcroy
12 minutes ago, denz said:

Have to figure how to change channel order. 

Use their feature called Channel Collections. https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/how-to/channel-collections/

They also have a great way to edit the commerical cuts if they are off (and you're right, it's usually pretty spot on for most channels) with a little GUI editor you can access from the web UI. It shows the thumbnails for each cut and you can modify it as needed. 

Edited by jasonmcroy
  • Thanks 1

jasonmcroy
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

But it doesn't do dvb-s does it ?

Not sure on that one. It's not something I have ever used. I did do a search on their forum with that term and there are some discussions about it. Not sure if someone suggests a way to easily do it or not.