To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

pwhodges

I suspect that anything which delays the long-awaited 4.8 release any further will be ignored until after that, however much we complain about this.  And that is understandable.

Paul

daldana

I know I am going to sound whiny, but I don't see how it's understandable. @softworkzposted the TVNext spreadsheet last year (August 28, 2022) which listed so many of the features as being completed, so I don't see how a full year goes by without it being integrated is understandable. Yes, there was a big security issue that had to be dealt with, but come on...

• Agree 2

emveepee
18 hours ago, justinrh said:

And I'd think many Emby users pay to get the live TV functionality.

Did they ever say TVNext would be free?  With so  many life time subscribers for PVR it may be a good business decision to charge for it, it is a separate server afterall.

Chillout
1 hour ago, emveepee said:

Did they ever say TVNext would be free?  With so  many life time subscribers for PVR it may be a good business decision to charge for it, it is a separate server afterall.

I have a lifetime pass and I'd be willing to pay extra for a premium lifetime version of live TV and improved IPTV support... especially if it encourages rapid development.  I dont know if I'd be on-board for a subscription service unless there are some incredible perks.

The current live TV is pretty stable and usable in its current form.  They could probably fork it leaving its current functionality for people who are satisfied with where its at.  I imagine some people would be upset but as long as the features they paid for are not crippled I'm sure they will understand the need for additional investment for a generational improvement.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
bungee91
3 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

So, @Lukewill we be seeing TVNext progress action soon (repeat soon) after 4.8 is released ?

Is it wrong to think at this point just plain seeing "No." as a reply would more fulfilling than what we have heard so far? :P

• Haha 2

justinrh
4 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

after 4.8 is released

Yeah, but it might be who knows how long before that happens!

• Agree 1

arrbee99

What can I say...I'm trying to hint politely for some news on progress, difficult as it might be after 3 years of bugger all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

arrbee99
On 10/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, arrbee99 said:

So, @Lukewill we be seeing TVNext progress action soon (repeat soon) after 4.8 is released ?

@Luke?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
bungee91

It sure would be nice to hear.... something from @Lukefor the server side, or say @ebrfor the best app that no one ever wants to see go away in ATV that would likely need some updates to support this (or we get forced to the Android main app that still to this day cannot seek/time shift liveTv :P) or even @softworkzwho spent a lot of time coding this fantastic improvement (not to discredit others who may have helped) for any insight as to a path forward with this? Something.. I just want to hear something.... (pitchfork lowered)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 seconds plus live tv channel changing is unacceptable when WMC can still to this day change channels within a second and WMC is over 20 years old.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

@Lukewhen do we get the beta ?

Santa time is around the corner, maybe he has mercy and brings us a little surprise. 😄
Sorrry, couldn't resist. 😛

• Like 2

arrbee99
5 hours ago, neik said:

Santa time is around the corner, maybe he has mercy and brings us a little surprise. 😄
Sorrry, couldn't resist. 😛

'little' ?

Chillout
18 hours ago, denz said:

8 seconds plus live tv channel changing is unacceptable when WMC can still to this day change channels within a second and WMC is over 20 years old.  

Well MS probably had a whole division working on WMC so Bill Gates could go on national TV and promote it.  Im just assuming, but Emby likely doesnt have an army of developers and unlimited budget.

The thing I miss the most about WMC was the continuous live TV buffer and being able record a 30min show captured in the 2hr buffer..  Its one of those things you didnt realize you needed until its gone. 

• Agree 1

Raptor6L

Yeah, that and guide overlay, near instantaneous channel changes etc etc.

We need to remember even WMC wasn't great when it first started as a 2 disc add on pack for XP. And the Vista version wasn't a whole heap better. And there were years between that and the release of Win 7 WMC which was THE major step up, and then further refinement with the release of the Win 8 add-on pack.

The frustrating part of this is we've seen the solution we're all asking for but we just get our hands on it. Have to think @Lukeand co have good intentions to get this included however there must be bigger core issues to take care of before this solution is implemented.

I do agree the lack of comms is pretty bloody poor. 

Chris 

• Like 1

arrbee99
2 minutes ago, Raptor6L said:

The frustrating part of this is we've seen the solution we're all asking for but we just get our hands on it. Have to think @Lukeand co have good intentions to get this included however there must be bigger core issues to take care of before this solution is implemented.

I do agree the lack of comms is pretty bloody poor. 

Chris 

+1, +2, maybe +27...

• Like 1

emveepee

If Emby tuning speed is 8 seconds it could be optimized but when WMC came out people zapped between channels to watch TV now it isn't as important because there are too many channels.  New generation viewers probably don't even care since they switch OTT apps to watch different programs. 

WMC also used proprietary dvr-ms and wtv formats that made some things easier.  I know NextPVR when it was GBPVR had fast direct tuning using dvr-ms but using it was too limiting for many use cases and it was far from perfect anyway. Removing it added a second or two and some users didn't like it initially but well worth going to mpeg-ts for the long run.  Besides MS didn't have to worry about multiple PCs, remote clients or clients on Android,  Roku or Apple.

Most apps, cable and satellite STB boxes take several seconds tuning too, that is just the way it is.  These are a musts here in Canada if you watch sports legally.  I was at my father's yesterday when he was getting a brand new digital fiber delivered box for his cable, and tuning was slower than copper and you could also actually see the EPG refresh while paging.   Now he gets cloud based DVR,  catchup (start watching from the program beginning) voice tuning etc.  It probably is worth a couple of seconds for the extra functionality.

Martin