To complain about lacking TVnext progress

bungee91

emveepee
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Ah, the eternal argument against implementing change, even if it is beneficial...

How much motivation does Emby have to support users with lifetime subscriptions?  For me the argument would be would the number of new customers justify the added life cycle cos?   If it was easy Jellyfin's Live TV would be a lot better.

Perhaps unfortunate but IPTV probably doesn't need TVNext as much as some tuner devices and the reality is linear tuner based TV is dying and most new users seem to come because of  IPTV.  H/W tuner development pretty much dried up after Windows 7/WMC stopped.  Emby won't be able to compete for the US market after DRM and even in the UK they were talking about killing DVB in 2030.  That has since been exteded, but who knows what will happen around the world.  For the home legitimate DVR user things are pretty bleak.

Martin

arrbee99

I know nowt about running a business (or how difficult it is too add this kind of stuff to many different systems), but I believe one of the concepts is something along the lines of - if you're not improving the product, you're actually going backwards (cause everybody else is improving theirs).

TMCsw
3 hours ago, emveepee said:

Perhaps unfortunate but IPTV probably doesn't need TVNext as much as some tuner devices and the reality is linear tuner based TV is dying and most new users seem to come because of  IPTV.

Have you looked at this?: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/e/2PACX-1vTtWQwRLBTPp5TNh8KmtSH3Rvz9Zm6ovUL__YL9Ax1ikzGLCzdfhryjMJ6-g5N1rJIf5LrDGjE5jqds/pubhtml?gid=1930489182&single=true&pli=1

TVnext Is a lot more than just tuners... ...and besides that it's mostly done.

But i suppose your happy using a Vic 20 and driving a model T 🙂 

• Haha 1

Hi everyone, just to give you a response, yes this will be coming. Stay tuned in the coming months for more information. Currently our focus right now is continued support of the new 4.8 server release, as well as the new Windows app that is imminent. Following that we will be focused on a short 4.9 release to try break away from our history of long releases. Once we get through that, then you can expect things to speed up related to this. Thanks guys.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 8

Raptor6L
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi everyone, just to give you a response, yes this will be coming. Stay tuned in the coming months for more information. Currently our focus right now is continued support of the new 4.8 server release, as well as the new Windows app that is imminent. Following that we will be focused on a short 4.9 release to try break away from our history of long releases. Once we get through that, then you can expect things to speed up related to this. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the detailed response @Luke. Clearly we are all pretty keen for this to be implemented, so excellent news that it's a go ahead. 

I for one am eagerly waiting for this so I can finally off load WMC & ServerWMC.

I'm hopeful that it won't be another year in waiting.

Cheers

Chris

• Thanks 1

badous

Looks like when @softworkzpredicted that because TvNext was going to be such a leap forward that the server version had to start with 5.X, he was right.

scb99
On 05/03/2024 at 17:10, pünktchen said:

That was my thought too. I hope that's not the case, although i would understand if softworkz is leaving the Emby project in the event of a negativ decision.

Yes fingers crossed on this as it's my feeling that softworkz has brought not only technical expertise but order and method to Emby

• Like 6

unisoft

I'm wondering if because this is a major change, i.e. 5.x server wise, if the Emby stakeholders want to charge another lifetime membership for it. Personally, I don't mind BUT I would want to see some other stuff done/fixed like ability to customise the top menu options that people have asked for years, option to disable the stupid side menu in TV mode (plex menu as I call it), integrate the WMC work by Softworkz into the Android client at least, have inbuilt playlists as a default list, sort WAN speed detection on "Automatic" so it works properly and add cross fade capability for music. Also not charge more than today for feature pack add-on again which must be available as lifetime option. Having said that, existing lifetime customers could be argued as free upgrade as helped develop product with ideas and feedback and put up with some user impacting changes (whether deliberate or unintended) and just new customers who pay more for lifetime option.......

Edited by unisoft
  • Agree 1

neik
1 hour ago, unisoft said:

I'm wondering if because this is a major change, i.e. 5.x server wise, if the Emby stakeholders want to charge another lifetime membership for it.

If I'm not totally hallucinating this has been denied multiple times already.

But let's see what the future brings.

• 3 weeks later...
Ronstang
On 3/9/2024 at 12:47 AM, Luke said:

This is fantastic news Luke, and I am very excited as I have been waiting for this (not always patiently, sorry) for a long time.  I have multiple server machines and a total of 5 Ceton cards which I cannot use all at once due to needing to run a proxy which limits one card to a machine.  Since NextTV will support these cards natively I should be able to run multiple cards per machine, even though I don't really need them.  So if you need someone dedicated to getting things right I would love to be part of the larger test group as I believe I could help you and would be willing to do all I can to help the project progress.

denz

This is only thing that keeps me still checking Emby to see when I can start testing and offer feedback.I am now using Channels and it’s dream to use. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1