DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

cayars

8 hours ago, VicSupaNov said:

Hey guys I've been scrolling through this forum because I finally upgraded to DSM 7 on my DS920+. I've seen people mentioning different things to do to fix emby. I'm not good at ssh and putty etc.... Is there a newest fix to solve my emby no longer working?

Yes, go to the first post.  Download the video and watch it.  It shows the full migration process minus two command you do through putty/ssh.  While watching the video, also look at the instructions in that post and you'll see they match and you'll see where the 2 putty commands come into play that don't show in the video.

Instead of typing those commands just copy/paste them so you won't have any typos.

The instructions are perfect as is IF you previously had Emby (DSM6) installed at /volume1/Emby and the new (DSM7) install is at /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer (both are the defaults).

As long as you don't touch or delete the DSM 6 Emby install at /volume1/Emby you can redo the migration process over and over so don't worry if you think you did something wrong.  Just start over and do it again.

If you hit any snags/issue post them here or send me a PM and I can remote in via AnyDesk and give you a hand as I've done well over 100 migrations at this point. It would be our pleasure to assist you if needed.

The migration may seem like a lot of steps but it's really not hard if you follow the steps.  You've already installed DSM 7 so you can check that one off the list. :)

Carlo

Edited by cayars

LastCarbon

Thanks for the awesome guide cayars. My migration went smoothly. I did run into an issue with my SSL cert which I was able to resolve. I had a task set up that used openssl to convert the default Let's Encrypt Synology certs to a pfx file however the pem file names changed under DSM7. I also had to save the pfx file somewhere else Emby kept complaining that it didn't have access to /usr/syno/etc/certificate/system/default/ anymore. Figured I would just mention it here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

Ended up with a command like this for the task:
openssl pkcs12 -export -out /volume1/wherever-you-want-the-cert-to-go/cert.pfx -inkey RSA-privkey.pem -in RSA-cert.pem -certfile RSA-fullchain.pem -passout pass: Your-Password

Edited by LastCarbon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LastCarbon said:

Thanks for the awesome guide cayars. My migration went smoothly. I did run into an issue with my SSL cert which I was able to resolve. I had a task set up that used openssl to convert the default Let's Encrypt Synology certs to a pfx file however the pem file names changed under DSM7. I also had to save the pfx file somewhere else Emby kept complaining that it didn't have access to /usr/syno/etc/certificate/system/default/ anymore. Figured I would just mention it here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

openssl pkcs12 -export -out /volume1/wherever-you-want-the-cert-to-go/cert.pfx -inkey RSA-privkey.pem -in RSA-cert.pem -certfile RSA-fullchain.pem -passout pass: Your-Password

Thanks for the info. I just started looking into my ssl issue and I run a similar script to generate the pfx!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LastCarbon said:

Glad the migration guide worked out well for you.  

How often do you need to run that script for the cert?
I'm spoiled as I don't need to touch any certs stuff after the initial install. I'm using a cert generated by Cloudflare.
This to me is the way to go as the cert isn't going to expire anytime soon. Plus you get all the nice features Cloudflare offers.

followed instructions everything seemed ok apart from the fact every time i try and open emby it says its manually stopped pulling my hair out dont know what i am doing wrong

On 06/07/2021 at 00:42, cayars said:

absolute legend Cayars remote sorted my system after hours of pulling my hair out thought i was going to launch my desktop out of the window at one point simple when you know how,I think the saying is you dont know what you dont know 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cayars said:

I'm spoiled as I don't need to touch any certs stuff after the initial install. I'm using a cert generated by Cloudflare.
This to me is the way to go as the cert isn't going to expire anytime soon. Plus you get all the nice features Cloudflare offers.

I personally have it setup to run everynight since I setup the default cert to use LetsEncrypt to generate the cert. I could push it to every 2 months or the day before the cert expires. 

• Like 1

LastCarbon
8 hours ago, cayars said:

I have the script set to run once a month. It's been trouble free for the most part, I actually forgot about the script until the update.